Fifth

Stupid Cupid

I want to start by saying I'm sorry. I didn't mean to take so long to update, I just kind of lost my motivation and I kept distracting myself. This also took a while because I decided to change a scene halfway through so I had to start all over. I'm thinking there should be two chapters left, but we'll see what happens. Anyway, this chapter is a bit long, hopefully that makes up for taking so long. Enjoy ^_^

 


 

Myungsoo didn't really know what to expect when he asked Woohyun to teach him how to flirt, but if it involved anymore cheesy pick-up lines, he might just have to give this whole thing up. Although he likes the date doctor and even considers him a friend, the barista has to draw a line somewhere. He plans on doing just that when Woohyun shows up at his door a few days later, ready to begin their lesson, but the older man starts talking before he even opens his mouth.

"Flirting is actually a lot easier than it seems," the date doctor declares as he steps into the apartment. "Basically, it's just keeping a balance between letting him know how you feel and keeping him interested."

Once Woohyun starts talking, it's kind of hard to get him to stop. Myungsoo has no intention of stopping him, though, so he makes himself comfortable on the couch as the older man explains the basics of flirting. He learns all about giving the right look, the right smile, and the different levels of touching; he never knew something so simple could be so technical. Woohyun starts wrapping up the lesson nearly an hour later and Myungsoo thinks he might be feeling a little more confident than before.

Looking satisfied with the advice he's given, Woohyun settles on the couch as well and stretches out his hand. "Ok, let me see your phone."

"What— why?" Myungsoo asks, clearly confused by the sudden demand. He hands the device over anyway in the hope that there will be further instructions.

The date doctor has an overly confident smile on his face that can't mean anything good. "You're going to call Sungyeol."

"What— why?" The younger boy can't help repeating himself; he just needs to make sure he didn't hear what he thought he heard. But judging by the look on the older man's face, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his ears. Now he really needs some answers. "You didn't teach me anything about flirting over the phone, though."

"That's not why you're calling him," Woohyun explains, only sparing a glance as he continues scrolling through the phone. "But you should still try, it's always good to practice. Anyway, you just have to ask him out again."

He says it like it's just that simple. It probably is, but Myungsoo begs to differ; he's finding it hard to trust the other's words like he usually does. All the confidence he thought he had built seems to disappear and he wonders yet again what he's gotten himself into.

He isn't as smooth as the date doctor, but maybe he can talk his way out of this. "Why can't I just wait until he comes into the café and ask him out then?"

"Because you're going to call him right now," the older man replies without missing a beat.

"I can't do it."

"Sure, you can."

"I don't want to."

"Look," Woohyun sighs, the tiniest bit of impatience starting to seep through. "You've already talked to him face-to-face a bunch of times and you even went on a couple dates. This should be a piece of cake."

As much as he wants to, Myungsoo can't argue with that logic. He knows he's being unreasonable and there's nothing to worry about, but that doesn't stop him from worrying anyway. Although, if the barista is being honest, Woohyun's words are already starting to have an effect. The older man is much too persuasive and pairing it with a charming smile only makes it worse. Biting his lip, Myungsoo reluctantly relents, "I guess you're right."

"I know." Looking rather pleased with himself, the date doctor holds the phone out to the younger boy. "Here— it's already ringing."

"What?" Myungsoo stares at the device with wide eyes as if it's some sort of bomb before turning his gaze back to the man next to him. This is moving a lot faster than he initially anticipated.

Woohyun isn't really helping as he pushes the phone closer, the ringer sounding loud and clear in the otherwise silent room. Shaking his head vigorously, Myungsoo moves as far away from the offending object as he can on the couch. He is just about to let the date doctor know exactly how much he can't do this, when the ringing stops and he hears Sungyeol's voice faintly through the speaker. Woohyun practically shoves the phone at him, his eyes ordering him to take the damn thing already.

Accepting that he can no longer fight it, Myungsoo finally takes the damn thing; he's surprised it didn't slip out of his hand with how sweaty his palms are. He takes a deep breath to calm his nerves before attempting to speak. "H-hello?"

"Myungsoo?" Miraculously, Sungyeol is still on the phone and he sounds understandably confused.

"Y-yeah, hi." Breathing did nothing to help calm him down and having Sungyeol's voice in his ear is only making it worse.

"Hey, what's up?"

He might be imagining it, but Myungsoo swears he can hear the smile on the drummer's face, which makes him smile as well, his earlier nervousness almost completely forgotten. That is, until Woohyun clears his throat and he suddenly remembers he had called for a reason.

"Um," the young barista begins, unsure of how to get to the point; he really wishes Woohyun had given him time to figure out what to say. With no script to follow, he just says the first thing that comes to mind. "I was just thinking about you— I mean— I was thinking about a lot of things, not just you. God, this is coming out all wrong."

The date doctor is staring at him like he's lost his mind and Myungsoo can't really blame him; so far, he has only succeeded in embarrassing himself. He's sure if he keeps this up, there is a good chance Sungyeol will never want to talk to him again. Hearing a low chuckle in his ear that doesn't sound the least bit mocking, the younger boy gains some hope that he hasn't yet ruined his chances.

"It's okay, I've been thinking about you too." The drummer sounds maybe a little shy, his voice a near whisper as if he only wants the barista to hear.

"Really?" His eyes alight with excitement, Myungsoo forgets all about being embarrassed. He almost forgets what he's supposed to be doing as well until Woohyun nudges him and mouths 'Act cool'. The younger boy nods as if he knows what that means before clearing his throat and speaking again, his voice dropping a few octaves. "I mean, uh, that's cool."

Sungyeol laughs at him again, but Myungsoo is beginning to think that might be a good thing. Since the ridiculous things coming out of his mouth seem to be entertaining the older boy, he must not be doing as terribly as he thought. Unfortunately, the date doctor doesn't seem to agree. He's leaning forward with his head in his hands, most likely still reeling from the barista's cringeworthy attempts at flirting. Feeling a sudden need to redeem himself, Myungsoo tries to recall their earlier lesson.

"I guess you're probably wondering why I called," he says, hoping he sounds ier than he feels. It seems to have a positive effect since Woohyun is peeking at him through his fingers. There might be hope for him yet.

"Oh, I thought you just wanted to tell me how much you miss me."

Trying not to get distracted by Sungyeol's flirty reply, Myungsoo keeps talking. He might be getting the hang of this. "Uh, no, that's not- I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out...or something, uh, with me?"

Ok, maybe not. Woohyun has his head buried in his hands again, a muffled groan escaping. Myungsoo wishes he could do the same, but he's still waiting for a response— one that is hopefully more positive.

"I'm actually in the studio right now," the drummer finally answers, sounding rather apologetic.

Although he wasn't expecting much, the younger boy can't hide the massive wave of disappointment that sweeps over him. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you were busy."

"No, it's fine. We're taking a break right now." The smile is back in Sungyeol's voice and even though he can't see it, Myungsoo definitely feels it. All thoughts of being rejected have virtually disappeared as the older boy goes on. "I feel like I should make it up to you somehow. If you want, I can try to sneak out and we could go somewhere. I mean, Sunggyu might kill me, but it would totally be worth it."

"No, no, no— you don't have to do that. I don't want you to get in trouble or anything. Anyway, you probably have better things to do than talk to me."

"But I like talking to you."

Myungsoo doesn't think he's ever smiled so much before; if he keeps this up he might pull a muscle. Even though the older boy can't see him, he still feels the need to hide the heat creeping onto his face as he leans forward and drops his forehead on his knees. He feels Woohyun's hand rubbing encouraging circles on his back and composes himself enough to sit up slightly, switching the phone to his other hand and propping his chin on his free hand.

"I like talking to you, too." After hearing Sungyeol say it, Myungsoo doesn't feel quite so embarrassed to admit it as well. They both fall silent for a moment, as if they've run out of things to say, and the barista feels a sudden pressure to keep the conversation going. He casts a glance at the date doctor who gives him a supportive smile before clearing his throat to speak. "So, uh, how is practice going?"

Sungyeol chuckles at the question, the sound quickly becoming one of the greatest things Myungsoo has ever heard. "Well, we've been practicing the same song for the past two hours, so I wouldn't say it's been all that interesting."

"That sounds exhausting; do you guys have a show coming up?" He already knows the answer, but he doesn't think the older boy needs to know just how closely he follows his band.

"It isn't for another couple of weeks, but Sunggyu seems to think we'll forget everything if we don't do it a million times."

"I'm sure you can find a way to have fun even if it gets boring."

"That's actually why we've been practicing the same song for so long," the drummer admits, his laughter tinged with embarrassment and all the more endearing for it. "Whenever I get bored I start goofing off and it makes Dongwoo laugh and then Sunggyu gets mad and makes us start over. He really needs to learn how to take it easy."

Very much aware of Sungyeol's playful behavior, Myungsoo doesn't doubt him for one second; he's seen his fair share of antics at the handful of concerts he attended. Although he's still pretty amused, he does feel a little bad for the band's lead singer. "Maybe you should try to focus more so you can be done sooner."

"Wow, you sound just like Sunggyu." It's hard to tell if Sungyeol means it as an insult, a compliment, or just a casual observation. There isn't any time to think about it as a quiet gasp on the other end of the line grabs his attention followed by a whispered, "Uh oh."

"What is it?" Eyebrows bunched in confusion, the younger boy listens intently to figure out what is going on.

The line is silent for a moment before Sungyeol finally speaks, his voice hushed. "Sunggyu's looking for me. I think he heard me talking about him."

"You should see what he wants," Myungsoo suggests, his expression relaxing once again.

"I guess." Surprisingly, Sungyeol agrees rather easily, even if it is a bit reluctant. He starts to say goodbye, but cuts himself off to say, "Oh, if you want to call me tomorrow, I'll make sure I'm not doing anything so you won't have to worry about interrupting."

"Uh, okay, I will."

They hang up shortly after saying their goodbyes and Myungsoo can't hide the bright grin splitting his face in half. He should be used to it by now, but every time he talks to Sungyeol he feels an overwhelming rush of nervous excitement that turns him into a blushing mess. Still feeling flushed, he shifts closer to Woohyun and rests his head on the date doctor's shoulder, his arms automatically wrapping around him.

Woohyun returns the barista's hug, a fond smile gracing his features. "See? I told you it would be fine."

"Yeah, I guess you were right."

"Of course, I was right; I wouldn't lie to you."

Nodding silently, Myungsoo squeezes the date doctor a bit tighter, wanting to show his gratitude. The older man has been nothing but supportive and understanding throughout this whole experience and Myungsoo has never felt more confident about his feelings for Sungyeol (as well as Sungyeol's feelings for him) than he does right now. He is just about to thank him for all of it when a thought occurs to him that wipes the smile off his face. Lifting his head to look at the date doctor, he says, "I didn't ask him out, though. I mean— I did, but he was busy."

"It's okay," Woohyun assures him, pulling him a little closer. "You can just ask him out again; it'll be even easier the next time."

Somehow, that doesn't sound as daunting as it would have an hour ago.

 

~*~

 

After his fairly successful attempt at talking to Sungyeol over the phone, Myungsoo tries again the next day with equally favorable results. He manages to have an engaging and lengthy conversation with the older boy despite the absence of Woohyun cheering him on. He even flirts a little, although it doesn't go very well and only makes Sungyeol laugh at him. Still, Myungsoo considers it a success, especially when the other boy mentions how cute it is that he still can't flirt.

It feels like progress when instead of blushing and getting tongue-tied, the barista doubles his efforts to charm the older boy. Sitting up straighter on his couch (as if Sungyeol can see him), he clears his throat and puts on the iest voice he can muster. "So, when can I see you again?"

"I've been wondering the same thing," the drummer admits. He hums quietly in thought for a moment before he suggests, "What about tonight?"

"Tonight?" Myungsoo's cool façade falls in the blink of an eye; he might have overestimated his progress.

The hesitation in his voice must be obvious as Sungyeol sets out to convince him to say yes. "Yeah. I have practice again, but I thought you could stop by and we could hang out."

"Are you sure I won't get in the way? I mean, you guys have a show coming up— I don't want to interrupt or anything." It might be a bit silly, but he can't help voicing his concerns. He could really use Woohyun right now; he would probably tell him to stop worrying so much and just go with it.

"It'll be fine, I promise." It looks like Sungyeol hasn't given up on him yet, his voice kind and reassuring in the barista's ear. "Besides, the guys really want to meet you. They're usually pretty nice so I think you'll like them."

Trying to tune out all his doubts, Myungsoo allows himself to be persuaded and finally agrees to stop by the studio. Sungyeol sounds incredibly thrilled at his change of heart as he gives him the address, his excitement almost palpable even through the phone. The younger boy can still feel it even after they hang up and he spends a few minutes just thinking about how happy the other boy seemed about seeing him; he knows that feeling well since it's how he's felt from the moment they first met. Myungsoo tries not to gush too much when he calls Woohyun to fill him in, but he can't help the enormous grin stuck on his face all the while. The date doctor doesn't seem to mind his enthusiasm, though. In fact, he sounds even more delighted than the barista himself, not that it's much of a surprise.

Woohyun quickly switches to business mode as he instructs Myungsoo on what to do and say when he sees Sungyeol in a few hours. If the younger boy didn't know any better he would think they were about to go to war with how seriously the other man was speaking. Still, he listens closely to every word, mentally taking notes to ensure he does everything right. Once he's done talking to the date doctor he feels just about ready to meet Sungyeol.

That is until he glances down at himself and realizes he is only mentally prepared. Scrambling from his seat, Myungsoo rushes to his closet to find something appropriate for a kind-of-unofficial date. Since Woohyun isn't around he doesn't feel obligated to add any color to his wardrobe and opts for an all-black look from his black jeans and v-neck shirt to the leather jacket he throws on over it. After tousling his already messy hair, the barista admittedly feels a lot more badass. But just to make sure, he takes a picture and sends it to Hoya for confirmation.

His friend's simple reply of a thumbs up is more than enough to encourage him and he sets out with a newfound confidence. Myungsoo kind of wishes he could bring the other barista along; the older boy might embarrass him, but he's also his biggest source of moral support. He's sure Hoya would get along pretty well with the band, too. All those thoughts are quickly pushed to the back of his mind when he spots Sungyeol standing outside the studio looking ridiculously attractive even though he isn't really doing anything. He’s never seen anyone look so good in just a t-shirt and jeans. His stomach flips as their eyes meet and the older boy's face lights up with an adorably bright grin. Myungsoo is finding it hard just to think, but somehow he manages to walk the rest of the way without tripping or embarrassing himself in any way; he could really use some of that confidence he found right about now.

The drummer is still beaming, unaware of how much it is affecting the younger boy, as he greets him. "Hey, Myungsoo, I'm glad you made it."

"Uh, yeah." Myungsoo knows he should say something else, but his brain seems to be malfunctioning, leaving him staring at Sungyeol with what he is sure is an embarrassingly goofy smile on his face.

The older boy apparently doesn't notice and leads him into the building, chattering all the while about how excited his bandmates are to meet the young barista; he insists it was their idea to invite him, although the red staining his ears seem to suggest otherwise. It's ridiculously cute, Myungsoo thinks, even if it is a lie. It's quite obvious how happy Sungyeol is to have him here, the smile on his face looking to become a permanent fixture.

Sporting a similar expression, Myungsoo pulls his eyes away from the older boy long enough to get a good a look at his surroundings. They're in a small lobby sparsely furnished with a desk on one side, a door leading to a set of stairs on the other, and an elevator straight ahead. It's far from glamorous and certainly not out of the ordinary, but he's still glad to be there and eager to see how the rest of the night will unfold.

The two of them are heading to the elevator as Sungyeol warns of what to expect with his bandmates when the doors open with a quiet ding, revealing a young man with dark brown hair and delicate features. Once the initial shock passes, Myungsoo immediately recognizes him as Sungjong, a close friend of the band.

The young man instantly recognizes him as well, his eyes widening with the realization. "Myungsoo? What are you doing here?"

"Sungyeol invited me," the barista replies, glancing shyly at the boy next to him.

"Oh." Sungjong's gaze shifts to the other boy in front of him, as if noticing him for the first time. Eyes twinkling with amusement, he smirks and notes, "So this is the guy you were talking about."

Myungsoo has no idea what that could mean, but Sungyeol seems to know exactly what his friend is getting at, his pink-tinged ears revealing his embarrassment. Before he can even begin to wonder about what is really going on, the barista finds himself being led into the elevator by a very flustered looking drummer. When he looks down and notices their intertwined hands, he quickly realizes that he doesn't really care.

"W-we should really get back to the studio; the guys are probably wondering what's taking so long." The older boy is clearly still shaken by Sungjong's statement, his free hand fumbling to press the correct button.

This is a rare occurrence for Myungsoo— he's usually the one blushing and stuttering. He's sure he's never looked half as cute as Sungyeol does, though. As the elevator lurches into motion with a low groan, Sungjong turns to him wanting to catch up, effectively distracting him from mooning over the tall boy beside him. But he doesn't mind too much; it's been a while since he's last seen the younger boy and he was wondering when he would run into him again. Sungjong is just as he remembers— chatty, energetic, and funny. They're hitting it off even better than when they first met.

Myungsoo is so engrossed in their conversation he almost forgets about Sungyeol until he feels a slight pressure against his palm that has his eyes roaming back to the drummer. With his furrowed eyebrows and slowly deepening frown, the older boy appears somewhat angry. It soon becomes apparent that he is just confused. "How do you guys even know each other?"

"We met at a show a while ago." Sungjong takes it upon himself to answer the question— even though it wasn't necessarily directed at him. The doors open just then and he steps out first, peering over his shoulder as he cheekily assures, "Don't worry; I won't steal him from you."

The younger boy saunters off without another word leaving Sungyeol looking adorably flustered again, his cheeks flushed as he walks out into the hallway. Eyes trained on the floor, he lets out a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry about him."

"I thought he was nice." Myungsoo is mostly saying it to make the other boy feel better, but he did enjoy meeting Sungjong. He manages to pull a chuckle from the older boy, so he figures he's done a decent job of brightening his mood.

"That's because you just met him," the drummer argues. "You'll change your mind once you get to know him."

If he didn't know better, Myungsoo would think the other boy was being serious— he certainly sounds serious— but the smile on his face gives him away; he seems to have returned to his playful self once again. Emboldened by the happier atmosphere, the barista tries to recall the most important points of Woohyun's lesson from the day before. He's going for charming as he meets the older boy's eyes, one side of his mouth curving in a half-smile. "Should I be worried about meeting your other friends?"

His efforts prove successful as Sungyeol quickly looks away, a nervous laugh following shortly after. "Of course not." He takes a moment to think before adding, "Actually, Dongwoo can be a little weird and Sunggyu talks too much sometimes, but they aren't that bad."

"I guess I'll have to take your word for it." Myungsoo is starting to think he might have figured out this whole flirting thing after all; it's turning out to be a lot more fun than he expected.

They reach the door to the studio before he knows it and his heart suddenly starts hammering with a strange mix of excitement and nerves. Sungyeol seems to sense this and gives his hand a squeeze, an encouraging smile softening his features. Myungsoo had totally forgotten they were still holding hands— it felt so comfortable and natural he stopped thinking about it a long time ago. But now he's thinking about it again and he is beyond grateful for the support. With a short nod, he urges the drummer to open the door.

Once they step inside the pair are met with a silence that makes it more than obvious the room's occupants were just talking about them. All eyes are on them as they walk closer, hands still entwined, and the barista wishes he could remember how to breathe normally; he thought he had gotten ahold of his nerves, but that no longer appears to be true. He's just relieved he hasn't started sweating profusely.

Sungyeol, on the other hand, is much more relaxed as he makes the introductions. "Everyone, this is Myungsoo. Myungsoo, that's Sunggyu—" he points to the band's lead singer, a guy in a baggy t-shirt and ripped jeans. "—that's Dongwoo—" the next guy he points to is the bassist, also in a t-shirt and jeans (Myungsoo vaguely wonders if they have some sort of dress code or uniform). "—and you already know Sungjong."

Feeling somewhat star-struck, it takes Myungsoo a second to find his voice— and then another to find some words. "Uh, hi. It's really nice to meet you guys. I'm a huge fan."

"So we've heard," Sunggyu notes, sending him a kind smile. "Sungyeol talks about you so much, I kind of feel like I already know you."

“Yeah, he was so excited you were coming, we couldn’t even start practice.” Dongwoo chimes in as well, his smirk as mischievous as his words.

The drummer's eyes go wide at his friend's statement and he quickly tries to change the subject. "Hey, since everyone's here we should probably start practice now. We don't have a lot of time and Myungsoo didn't come all the way down here to hear us talk."

Although the other members of the band laugh at his embarrassment, they still pick up their instruments and take their places. Before he goes to do the same, Sungyeol turns Myungsoo with a small smile, his gaze briefly traveling down to where their hands are still connected. "Will you be alright without me?"

"I think I can manage," the younger boy playfully assures. He should probably feel at least a little shy about all the eyes and ears taking in their flirty exchange, but all he can really focus on at the moment is how cute Sungyeol looks (and sounds) as he laughs, his smile as dazzling as ever. He's doing all he can to not melt into a puddle right now.

"Well, I'm right over there if you need me." Nodding toward his drum set, Sungyeol finally lets go of the barista's hand and flashes him one last teasing grin before heading to his seat.

Myungsoo takes a seat as well, settling on the couch toward the side of the room with Sungjong as the band starts warming up. He still can't quite believe he's actually here watching his favorite band practice; his inner fan has been freaking out from the moment he stepped into the room. Once they start playing he has to remind himself to stay calm and not do anything foolish. It's a bit of an effort, but he manages to keep himself in check, his excitement only showing through his enormous smile.

As the night goes on and the atmosphere becomes more comfortable Myungsoo finally relaxes and starts truly enjoying himself. After seeing how kind and inviting the guys are, he feels a little silly for worrying about meeting them. He can see now that there was absolutely nothing to worry about, which only makes him feel sillier. He feels more like a part of the group rather than a fan having a once-in-a-lifetime experience; that seems especially true as he chats with Sungjong and learns things about the band even he didn't know.

Things are going incredibly well when Myungsoo makes the mistake of mentioning he plays the guitar. He doesn't think it's that big of a deal, but Sungjong obviously thinks otherwise, his eyes lighting up at the revelation. It doesn't take much to figure out what the younger boy is about to say.

"Why don't you play something?"

Although he was expecting it, the barista is still caught off guard by the suggestion, his mind struggling to find a suitable response. "I-I don't think that's such a good idea. I'm not very good."

"You'll be fine," Sungjong replies without missing a beat. Beaming in delight, he practically floats out of his seat and drags the older boy with him across the room.

"Wait, where are we going?" Even though he already knows the answer, Myungsoo still asks, if only to give himself some time to prepare for what is about to happen.

Sungjong doesn't answer him anyway, at least not verbally. He just smiles before catching the other guys' attention. "Hey guys, Myungsoo plays the guitar."

It isn't long before they are all clamoring to hear him play, their previous conversation quickly forgotten. Myungsoo is thrilled for the chance to play for his favorite band, but it's also a lot pressure; they take music very seriously, while he just does it for fun. Before they get their hopes up too high, he tries to let them down gently. "I don't really play that much, so I'm not very good."

"Neither is Sunggyu, but we still let him play," Sungyeol quips, grinning cheekily from his seat. His joke earns him a glare from the lead singer, though he doesn't seem to notice as his eyes remain on the barista. It's sort of sweet the way he's willing to risk his life to make Myungsoo feel better.

That must be why the younger boy finds himself giving in so easily— to make sure the other's sacrifice wasn't in vain. Or maybe he's just a er for the drummer's smile. Either way, Sunggyu hands him his guitar and he realizes there is no turning back now. There isn't a sound in the room as everyone waits to hear what he'll play.

Taking a deep breath to calm his nerves, Myungsoo closes his eyes and plays the first song that comes to mind, which just so happens to be a Reflex song. But that isn't really a coincidence, he only recently got back into the guitar because of the band. And now he's playing their song for them— it almost feels like a dream. As if wanting to confirm he is in fact wide awake, Myungsoo opens his eyes and is met with nearly identical looks of awe on the other guys' faces. He only meant to play a line or two, but the positive reaction he receives spurs him on and he keeps going, his confidence growing with each note.

That confidence falters a bit, however, when he makes the mistake (his second of the night) of looking at Sungyeol, who is watching him with an intensely affectionate expression. At least, that's what he thinks it might be. It's almost as if the older boy can't decide what emotion he wants to show, his eyes seem hardened with something close to frustration while his smile brings a softness to his features. Myungsoo's little performance stutters to an end as he tries to figure out exactly what is happening on the drummer's face. Before he can work out any possible theories, he finds himself surrounded by the rest of the band, their compliments momentarily distracting him.

He has all but forgotten about it by the time the praises die down, all his focus now on trying not to embarrass himself by blushing too much. Sunggyu calls for a break just then and the barista breathes a silent sigh of relief; he could use a few minutes to take in everything that has happened. He is just about to sort through all the thoughts and emotions swirling around in his mind when he spots Sungyeol coming closer, his usual dazzling smile in place.

"That was really good," the drummer says once he reaches him. It isn't hard to see he really means it and isn't just saying it to be nice.

"Thanks." Myungsoo's gaze drops down to the guitar still in his hands, the compliment making him feel more embarrassed than he expected. Biting his lip, he happily returns the favor. "You guys were really good, too."

The older boy beams with pride and Myungsoo has to hold himself back from doing something silly like pinching Sungyeol's cheek; all of this cuteness in front of him is driving him crazy. He tells himself to play it cool as Sungyeol crosses his arms and fixes him with a playfully serious look.

"So, do you have any other hidden talents I should know about?"

"Uh, no. I don't think so." Myungsoo knows Woohyun would want him to say something smooth, but he isn't thinking very clearly right now. Anything he might say would probably just be embarrassing.

While he thought he had given a rather truthful answer, the drummer doesn't quite believe him and before he knows it, the barista is sitting behind the drums getting an impromptu lesson. He really has no idea how it happened— Sungyeol must have smiled at him or something. He is also unsure and slightly confused about when the other guys left the room. Sungyeol's smile probably had something to do with that as well.

Drumsticks in hand, Myungsoo listens intently as the older boy teaches him about each piece of the set before showing him a simple beat. He doesn't understand all of the terminology, but he doesn't want Sungyeol to think he isn't a good teacher (and he kind of wants to impress him) so he tries to follow the drummer's lead, his forehead creased in concentration as he quietly counts along with the beats. Playing the drums is actually pretty fun, even though he stumbles a few times and loses the rhythm at the end. He can totally see why Sungyeol loves it so much.

"That was actually pretty good," Sungyeol notes once the younger boy stops playing, seeming genuinely impressed. "But it would sound better if you did this."

Before Myungsoo can ask what he means, he feels the other boy move closer and a strong chest pressing up against his back as the other's hands take a firm hold of his. All coherent thought leaves his mind and his body feels like it's on the verge of exploding. He doesn't even know how he manages to keep the beat on the bass drum when Sungyeol starts playing— breathing is close to impossible and talking isn't even an option. To make matters worse, the drummer's soft counting in his ear is sending shivers down his back that the older boy must be feeling as well.

"Perfect," Sungyeol says after the last beat, his voice still hushed. He must be uncomfortable standing in such a hunched over position, but he doesn't move away.

Myungsoo has a feeling Sungyeol isn't talking about his drum skills. Swallowing the sudden lump in his throat, he slowly turns to meet the older boy's eyes and is met with that same intense look from earlier. Seeing it up close is even more overwhelming, the raw emotion of it leaving him breathless. He has a growing suspicion Sungyeol might try to kiss him that is all but confirmed when the drummer's gaze sinks down to his lips before ever-so-slowly rising back up. He knows it's coming, but he's still stunned when the older boy starts leaning in, his eyes fluttering closed as he feels their noses brush. As their lips barely begin to graze, the door opens and the sound of the returning band members disrupts the intimate moment.

The pair split apart in a flash, Myungsoo nearly falling over without Sungyeol holding him. A tense silence settles over the room as they all stare at each other waiting to see who will be the first to bring up the awkward subject. Bowing his head in embarrassment, Myungsoo wishes he could disappear— or that he had actually gotten to kiss Sungyeol before the others walked in.