Second

Stupid Cupid

Myungsoo is really starting to question Woohyun's legitimacy as a date doctor; with all the lines he keeps spouting, he seems more like a pickup artist.  But when he voices his doubts the older man just waves him off, claiming he knows what he's doing. He sticks around even after Myungsoo goes back to work, supposedly cooking up some master plan that only serves to worry the young barista. He has a very strong feeling it will most likely involve cheesy pickup lines or puns. Or even worse, cheesy pickup lines with puns.

Myungsoo soon realizes he has every reason to worry when Sungyeol comes in with his band mate, Sunggyu. He has no idea what Woohyun is plotting, but he sees the way the date doctor's eyes light up from all the way across the room and he just hopes he won't have to say anything embarrassing. Despite the drummer's distractingly cute smile, he has no problem taking their order, oddly enough. The real trouble comes when he is making their drinks. Just as he puts the cover on Sungyeol's cup, Woohyun pops up at the counter looking far too excited.

"Are you going to give him your number?"

"Why would I do something like that?" Myungsoo only spares a quick glance over his shoulder, his focus mostly on preparing the second drink. With all the time Woohyun spent concocting his plan he expected a lot more.

"Because you want to get to know him," the older man replies as if it's the most obvious thing. "That's kind of how these things go."

Well, that is true. Rather than giving a response, Myungsoo puts all his attention toward the drink in front of him. When he's finished he takes the cups to the counter and pages the order number. As he waits for them to come up, Myungsoo turns to Woohyun with a slight frown. "I'm pretty sure it's against company policy to hit on customers while I'm on the clock."

"Then tell him when you get off so he can come back and let you hit on him."

Just as he is about to let the older man know how much he really can't do that, Sungyeol and his friend show up to collect their drinks. He sees them off with a quiet "enjoy" while Woohyun looks on, rather amused.

"Ok, I have a better idea," the date doctor announces once it's just the two of them again. Triumphant smile in place, he nods his head toward the glass case by the register as he rubs his hands together in anticipation. "I need a muffin."

"How is that going to help?" Myungsoo asks, although he still reaches into the case to pluck out a blueberry muffin. Placing it on a small plate, he slides it toward the older man and waits for further instructions.

Woohyun is still smiling as he pushes the plate back toward Myungsoo. "Give it to him."

"What?"

"I want you to give him the muffin."

Myungsoo isn't sure if he should laugh or cry; how can he be expected to do something like that? It sounds simple enough, but it is just so unlike him. He can't even imagine himself doing it. "I don’t think I can do that."

"Yes, you can." Leaning closer, Woohyun rests a hand on the young barista's shoulder. "You're going to take this muffin and you're going to walk over there and give it to him. Ok?"

Myungsoo really hates how easy it is for him to believe everything the date doctor says. There is just something in his eyes or his voice that makes the younger boy want to trust him. He hasn't decided if this is actually a good idea, but he finds himself nodding in agreement anyway. "Ok."

Grinning from ear-to-ear, Woohyun hands over the plate and gives his shoulder an encouraging squeeze. Although he kind of wishes he could run away, Myungsoo figures he's come too far to back out now. That doesn't stop him from silently praying for a customer to show up as he steps out from behind the counter, his heart pounding in his chest. He tries to walk as slowly as possible, but the café is tiny and he reaches Sungyeol's table much too quickly for his liking.

His arrival doesn't go unnoticed by the two men who turn to him with equally puzzled looks. And now that Sungyeol is looking at him, Myungsoo forgets why he is there and what he is supposed to do. A painfully awkward silence crawls by as the three of them just stare at each other until Myungsoo hears Woohyun's voice in his head (or maybe he's actually yelling from across the room) telling him to put the plate down and get the hell out of there. He happily obliges, setting the muffin down in front of Sungyeol before spinning around and hightailing it back to his place behind the counter. As if this couldn't get more embarrassing, he manages to stumble over his feet as he's running away, but fortunately he doesn't fall flat on his face.

When he finally returns to the counter— which is as far away as he can get without actually leaving the place— Woohyun envelopes him in a tight hug. "You did great. That little stumble at the end was really good, too. Why didn't I think of that?"

"That wasn't on purpose, though." Myungsoo is already clumsy enough on his own, he doesn't need to pretend.

"Well, it was still cute."

"Is this really going to work?"

"Of course— everyone loves free food."

Myungsoo is pretty sure he's going to die before he gets to ask Sungyeol out. But death isn't as swift as he thought it would be as he manages to stay alive long enough to watch Sungyeol leave. The drummer smiles and even waves at him before following his friend out the door, while Myungsoo stands frozen in shock. He is so used to the older boy leaving without a second glance that he has no idea how to react now that his presence has been acknowledged. This is exactly what he wanted, but he never expected it to happen.

Woohyun, his own personal audience, seems much too excited about the brief exchange; it's as if he's the one vying for Sungyeol's attention. Or perhaps he's just happy his cheesy plan actually worked. Now that his work is done, the date doctor decides to take off as well. With one last hug and a few parting words Woohyun is gone and Myungsoo wonders, not for the first time, just what he's getting himself into.

 

~*~

 

The next day, Myungsoo has the misfortune of working the night shift. Although he can't say he really minds; business usually slows down by eight and he's pretty sure he won't run into Sungyeol. After that awkward incident the day before he doesn't think he can ever face the older boy again.

The café is an hour from closing and Myungsoo is busying himself with reorganizing the extra cups and napkins under the counter when the door opens, the bell above signaling a new customer. Plastering on a smile, he pops up from his position on the floor and almost immediately ducks back down. Of all the people that he expected to see tonight, Sungyeol is definitely the last, but he’s here and Myungsoo is so not ready for this. Since he's the only one working at the moment, he can't exactly run away— even though that is specifically what he wants to do. He hopes he doesn't look as panicked as he feels as he greets the tall drummer, his smile even stiffer than before. His mind nearly blanks when Sungyeol grins at him, but the young barista pulls through and manages to catch his order. Attempting to save himself from any possible embarrassment, he turns around and quickly starts preparing the coffee.

Normally, when it is slow and quiet like this he would try to start a conversation with the customer, but this isn't any regular customer. It is a wonder he was even able to say hello. While he would prefer to stay silent, Myungsoo is certain Woohyun would want him to do the exact opposite. There is just one problem— he has no clue what to say. Finishing the first drink, he wracks his brain for something to talk about other than the weather.

"I've never seen this place so empty before; it must be nice," Sungyeol says just then, saving him the trouble of having to start the conversation.

"It's actually kind of boring." Myungsoo thinks he should probably be embarrassed about his blunt admission, but the soft chuckle that comes from behind him just then makes it worth reconsidering. Talking to Sungyeol actually seems a lot easier than he thought it would be; that's probably because he isn't looking at him. Taking advantage of his newfound eloquence, the barista continues, "I really just want to go home already."

"You probably think I'm a real for coming in and making you do all this work."

Spinning around, Myungsoo nearly spills the drink in his hand as he rushes to explain himself. "N-no, I don't— You're not— I mean, it's my job. I'm sorry."

"I was just kidding," the drummer chuckles, most likely at the barista's flustered expression. "You know, I always see you when I come here, but I don't think we've ever really met. I'm Sungyeol."

"Myungsoo," the younger boy replies and almost immediately slaps himself on the forehead; he'd completely forgotten he's wearing a name tag. Deciding it is high time he stopped talking, he turns back around and quickly finishes the rest of the order. Myungsoo makes a point of saying as little as possible when he brings the drinks to the front counter, considering his last attempt at full sentences didn't go so well. "Here you go. Enjoy."

"Thanks." Patiently waiting on the other side, Sungyeol brightens considerably upon the barista's return. Although the transaction is technically over, he remains standing in the same spot, looking increasingly nervous. "And thanks, by the way... for the muffin yesterday."

Myungsoo had hoped the older boy would forget about that little incident, but it is good to know he didn't scare him off. "I just... thought you should have it."

"Well, thank you for thinking of me and for the coffee." With a smile and a wave, Sungyeol is heading for the door, coffee in hand, and Myungsoo starts to panic a little. Despite how embarrassing it was he was kind of enjoying talking to the drummer; he's sure Woohyun would tell him to do more than just watch him leave.

"I was also thinking you should go out with me." Myungsoo has no idea what he's saying, but it is certainly a line worthy of the date doctor himself. It was a spur of the moment kind of thing; he hadn't planned on saying more than two words to the drummer, let alone asking him out. He just hopes his lame attempt at flirting doesn't end in rejection.

By the way Sungyeol is staring at him that seems like a very good possibility. He looks understandably surprised, but not necessarily happy. Myungsoo is just beginning to wonder if it's too late to play it off as a joke when Sungyeol finally unfreezes and gives him an answer. "Okay. How about tomorrow? Here? At 7?"

Myungsoo can only nod in agreement, still in a daze at the sudden turn of events. So much is happening so fast that he hasn't even begun to make sense of. Sungyeol, on the other hand, looks happier than Myungsoo has ever seen him, grinning from ear-to-ear and as confused as he is he can't help smiling back. Soon enough the tall drummer is walking out the door waving quite enthusiastically as he goes.

Once he is alone again Myungsoo feels all of his energy leave him and he drapes himself across the counter as the weight of everything that has just happened finally settles in; the last ten minutes were more tiring than his eight hour shift. He talked— really talked— to Sungyeol for the first time and then he asked him out and Sungyeol actually said yes— if he knew it would be this easy he would've done it a long time ago. Not particularly worried about any more customers at this late hour, he pulls out his phone and sends Hoya an update on what's going on. It's a mess of typos and emojis, but it makes enough sense that his friend should understand. This has been the weirdest, craziest, most spectacular night of Myungsoo's life.