First

Stupid Cupid

Maybe this isn't such a good idea. Myungsoo thought he knew what he was getting himself into, but he's starting to feel sorely mistaken. He finds comfort in knowing that if anything goes wrong he can just blame Hoya. It's because of the older boy that he's even heard of this so-called date doctor in the first place.

About a week ago while the two of them were stuck on the late shift at the café Hoya had handed him a business card and told him to call or else. Myungsoo knew it was an empty threat, but he didn't want to find out what would happen if he waited any longer; even the week he'd spent building up his courage was pushing it. While he could admit his crush was getting out of hand, he didn't think he needed to take such drastic measures— Hoya begged to differ. And so, after much prodding from his friend and coworker Myungsoo finally decided to call this Nam Woohyun. He really doesn't have anything to lose.

At least he hopes he doesn't. But right now with the man sitting in front of him he's starting to regret following Hoya's advice. He can't do this— the guy probably thinks he's a loser because he can't ask anyone out by himself. Pulling his lip between his teeth, Myungsoo glances up at the counter where Hoya is not-so-discreetly spying on his little meeting. The older boy gives him an enthusiastic thumbs up and he figures he might as well go along with it for now.

"So you're the date doctor?"

Woohyun chuckles lightly and not at all mockingly, much to Myungsoo's surprise. "Well, I'm a date doctor— actually, I'm not really even a doctor. I prefer the term 'personal consultant'; it sounds a lot more professional. But that's beside the point."

"So, can you help me?" Although his apprehension is slowly fading, he's still unsure of what to think about this alleged 'personal consultant'. Intimidatingly sharp nose aside, the man seems nice enough; there is something about his smile that is rather disarming.

"I'd like to try." If Woohyun keeps smiling like that Myungsoo might just fall for him instead. Well, not really, but it may be the second most attractive smile he's ever seen. "So, who is he?"

Myungsoo doesn't even know where to begin, but just thinking about him is enough to put a smile on the barista's face. "His name is Sungyeol and he's really cute and really sweet. He's thoughtful and funny and honest and he loves animals. He can be a little childish sometimes, but he's actually really smart. And when he smiles—"

He cuts himself off when he notices the date doctor staring at him with an unreadable expression; he might have gotten a bit carried away.

"You know, if I didn't know any better I'd think you two were already together."

"I swear I'm not a stalker or anything." Laughing nervously, Myungsoo can't bring himself to meet the other man's gaze. This is going about as well as he had expected. "I just like him a lot... and I really want him to like me too."

The silence that follows is by no means comfortable, at least not for Myungsoo. It's one thing to say all of this to Hoya— they are friends after all— but being so open about his feelings with a complete stranger is just about the scariest thing he could do. Second only to actually telling Sungyeol how he feels. But he supposes he should get used to it if he's going to be doing this.

"I like you." That certainly wasn't the reaction he expected. Across from him, Woohyun chuckles at his wide-eyed look before elaborating, "Not like that. I really like your attitude; you're the reason I do what I do. I'm a big supporter of wholehearted love."

Myungsoo isn't sure if he should be embarrassed or flattered; he's never been complimented on liking someone before. This whole thing is starting to feel less disastrous the more he talks to this Nam Woohyun. "So how does this work exactly?"

"Well, first I have to get a little background information. Then I can find the best way to help the two of you form a connection. But this isn't about me— this is about you. You're a great guy, Myungsoo, and I'm going to do my best to make Sungyeol see that too."

Woohyun must be a motivational speaker as well because Myungsoo believes every word and he doesn't think twice about entrusting his love life in the older man's hands. Feeling silly for being so skeptical, he allows Woohyun to begin his work as he heads back to his own job. His break is over anyway and things are starting to get busy again. Hoya shoots him an expectant look when he steps behind the counter, but he ignores him as he starts on the latest order; he can tell him later when there's time to breathe.

After spending the entire afternoon dodging his friend’s inquisitive eyes, Myungsoo resigns himself to the inevitable interrogation that comes a few hours later. The café is nearly empty and the two of them are diligently cleaning and reorganizing. Well, he is anyway; Hoya seems to be more interested in playing detective. Leaning against the counter, the older man crosses his arms and fixes him with a stare.

“Well?”

“Well, what?” Myungsoo looks up from the coffee machine he is busy cleaning, a small smile on his lips.

“How did it go?”

“You know…”

“Actually, no, I don’t,” Hoya says with a smirk, his eyebrows rising dramatically. “Enlighten me.”

Absently wiping the top of the machine, Myungsoo gives a one-shouldered shrug. “I don’t know what you want me to say. We just talked.”

“And is he going to help you?”

“It seems like it.”

Hoya grins rather smugly as he steps closer to his friend and puts an arm around him. “You know, I hate to say I told you so—”

“No, you don’t.”

 

~*~

 

All joking aside, Myungsoo really is grateful toward Hoya— though he probably won’t tell him, lest he suffer through another round of boasting. He should be freaking out because he's never done anything like this before, but the most he feels is nervous anticipation. Though he has no idea what will happen, he finds himself still looking forward to that massive unknown. When Woohyun comes back a few days later, Myungsoo greets him with genuine enthusiasm and leads him to a table toward the back, eager to begin their session.

"Why didn't you tell me Sungyeol is in a band?" Woohyun gets right down to business before he's even fully seated.

As innocuous as the question sounds, it still manages to fluster the dark-haired barista. "Uh, I guess I forgot."

"Is that why you haven't talked to him yet? Because you think he's some big rock star that would never look your way?" Woohyun hits the nail right on its head; he must be a mind reader as well. "I already told you yesterday you're great just the way you are, you have nothing to worry about."

"Thanks." Ducking his head, Myungsoo tries not to smile too hard.

"Are they any good?" Woohyun asks, getting back on topic.

Myungsoo almost has to physically restrain himself from immediately answering; he's pretty sure Woohyun still thinks he's a creep. He thinks he plays it off rather coolly as he replies with a half-shrug, "They have a nice sound."

Myungsoo had first learned of Sungyeol's band, Reflex, several months ago when he had overheard the older boy talking with his fellow band mates about an upcoming gig as they were coming into the cafe. Out of sheer curiosity (and mild infatuation) he went to check them out and he has never been quite the same. Watching Sungyeol's intensely concentrated expression as he banged away at the drums, Myungsoo was sure he had never been as attracted to anyone before as he was to the drummer right then.

He has become quite the super-fan (Hoya prefers to use the term "groupie") since then, going to just about every show. It would've been a great opportunity for him to finally talk to the older boy (like Hoya keeps pushing him to), but he could never find the courage. He preferred standing off to the side and observing the tall drummer in silent admiration, his eyes taking in the other's various antics during the performance. Whether he was winking flirtatiously at the crowd or showing off flashy tricks with his drumsticks, Myungsoo couldn't keep his eyes off Sungyeol and he could feel himself falling deeper with every song, every show. He can sort of understand now why his friend went to such drastic measures as hiring a date doctor to get him to talk to the older boy.

And that date doctor must be using his mind reading powers again because he's smiling at Myungsoo like he knows everything that's going through his head. "Have you ever tried talking to him about his music?"

"No," Myungsoo sighs, shaking his head. "That's kind of why you're here; I was hoping you could tell me what to say so I don't end up making a fool of myself."

"Like Cyrano de Bergerac?"

"Who?"

"Never mind," Woohyun sighs, shaking his head. "Ok, listen. The next time you see Sungyeol I want you to go up to him and say: 'I seem to have lost my phone number. Can I have yours?'"

"That's so cheesy. Can't I just say hello?" Myungsoo wants to believe the older man knows what he's doing, but if he wanted such childish advice he would've gone to Hoya.

Looking greatly offended, Woohyun puts a hand to his chest and scoffs, "First of all, it isn't cheesy— that line actually has a 98% success rate. Besides, people say hello to him all the time; you have to leave a lasting impression so that he remembers you."

"But do I have to say that?"

"Well, what would you say?"

"I don't know..." Biting his lip in thought, Myungsoo looks to the ceiling for inspiration. There are a lot of things he wants to say to Sungyeol, but he doesn't think suddenly professing his love will leave the kind of lasting impression Woohyun is talking about.

"Alright, try this one instead— I swear it's much better. First you tell him he dropped something and when he asks what you say 'this conversation, do you want to pick it up later tonight?'"

There is no way in hell he's saying that.