Lavender

Cor Carmina
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone is lost for words like you

Beyond fourth dimensional, a miraculous view

Sweetly dip it in and eat light's fondue

You start seeing the colour of the tune.

 

Taemin walks out of the living room and slams the door behind him. I wince, and wonder what the is wrong with me.

Taemin was born partially blind. They didn’t notice it till he was three, and by then, it was too late.

The doctors said that they could have saved his vision if they’d noticed it even a week before.

But they couldn’t, so he lost most of his vision. He is registered as legally blind, but he can see greyish shapes. He told me, when we were in high school, that he saw the world as shadows, and only when there was enough light.

Other times, his world is dark.

His parents sent him to a special school, where we met.

In school, Taemin fit in like a glove. In a crowd of children lacking one or even two of their senses, he was comfortable and confident.

But me?

I stuck out like a sore thumb.

They lacked senses; I had too many.

They cried because they couldn’t see, or hear; I cried because I could.

But Taemin and I fit like pieces of a puzzle.

When I had sensory overload and was on the brink of a seizure, Taemin was the one to whisper words into my ears and hug me tight.

When he was eighteen, he was so good at hearing and feeling things that nobody would notice that he was blind unless he told them.

By listening closely to the source of the sound, Taemin could pinpoint the location of the person’s face and not look into the distance while speaking, which was the trademark of a blind person.

By listening to the footsteps and the sounds around him, he can manoeuvre around obstacles as easily as a person who can see.

Which is why it’s not surprising that Taemin could fool Minho into thinking he could see.

I wonder what Minho will do when he finds out.

Thinking of Minho, I remember what happened in the car.

It scares me.

I know that Taemin is right. I probably should go home. If my condition is getting worse, then there is no way that I will be able to survive in the city. If my condition is getting worse, I should go to my doctor- find out what is happening.

But I don’t want to. Going back home would mean remembering my childhood; remembering all that happened…

Sighing, I listen to the fast orange beat of Taemin’s footsteps on the stairs. I consider going after him, but I know it won’t do any good.

I look at my phone lying on the bedside table, and grab it.

I dial Dr Lee Jinki’s number, and he picks up on the second ring.

“Ah, Kibum-ssi. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter