hospital

My way home is through you

 Second part of the double update

Leave comments

I hope it doesn't too bad



 

 

 

 

‘what are you doing? He's not safe. He won't be safe until you bring him here.’

    Ken's eyes blinked open slowly. His orders were still running through his head. It took him a moment to realise that he had been covered in a white sheet.

    He got up and went to find Hongbin.

 

    One of the nurses doing rounds that night noticed the door to the supply room swinging open. The refrigerator with blood had been ransacked along with some office supplies.

    Ken went from room to room looking for Hongbin. He finally found the room and nearly cried when he saw the younger man hooked to so many machines. He had an air cast on his leg and his arm was braced up to his shoulder.

    He hooked the bag of blood to Hongbin's IV and curled up on the bed next to him.

He squeezed Hongbin protectively when he heard a nurse tell another that she found the missing John doe.

    He heard someone wheel another bed next to them and the nurse grabbed Ken's wrist.

    “Sir, there's a bed right here. Your friend will be fine, I assure you, but we need to be able to get to him if anything goes wrong.”

    “Not moving. Don't wanna. He's warm. You can't make me.”

    “In any case, I have to run some tests on you. Your skin is so cold. Let's get you some more blankets.”

    “It's because I'm hungry. I’ll warm up with Hongbin. I just need some food.”

    “I'll bring you some food if you cooperate.”

    “But… he needs me.” Ken said, looking down at Hongbin on the verge of tears, but sitting up. He knew he couldn't protect Hongbin if he didn't eat soon. “Isn't there a way I can be closer to him?” He asked.

    “This is the closest you can be in case something goes wrong.” The nurse repeated,  “Please take off your shirt.”

    Ken stared at the nurse for a moment before pulling his tattered shirt over his head.

His left side had a deep gash across it. It wasn't bleeding. His right side was mottled in a series of bruises and his neck was black like burnt, torn paper.

    “Don't you hurt? ANDI, GET ME THE STITCH KIT.”

    “Shh,” Ken shushed the nurse, “don't wake him.”

    “We're gonna have to report this.”

    “No need. We were hiking and fell off a cliff. Ken said.

    “One hell of a cliff.” The new nurse said.

    Ken was looking at the blood still under his fingernails, “I was bleeding… how is that possible? I don't- I can't- never mind.”

    “You said yourself, you fell off a cliff.” The nurse replied.

    “You must really love him to come back from the dead for him.” One of the nurses said, Ken could practically see the hearts in the woman's eyes.

    “I wasn't dead…”

    “It's not our normal bedside manner to leave living patients covered in white sheets in the hall while we wait for the morgue to collect them.”

    “I just fainted because I was hungry…”

    “Well, we'll stitch you up and I'll get you some food while Andi cheeks your vitals.”

    “This might work better.” Ken handed the nurse some tape from the supply room.

The nurse was having difficulty stitching his side back up.

    “Seriously though, regular office staples will work better.” Ken insisted.

She finished trying to sew Ken back together and put a stethoscope to his chest.

    “I heard on the news about these two guys going on a cross country crime spree, robbing convenience stores and being such a nuisance that the feds actually had to go after them.”

    “Binie and I have been listening to music this whole time. We haven't been listening to the news.” He sighed wistfully while looking at Hongbin and grabbing his hand.

    “So where are you two headed?” She asked.

    “Vegas. I was planning on popping the question on a gondola at the Venetian.” not having to work too hard to convince the nurse that he was exceedingly worried about his lover.

    “Probably won't happen for a while. We have no idea when he's going to wake up and he nearly flatlined twice.”

    “H-he never actually died though, right?” She shook her head to the negative, looking at her stethoscope and tapping it.

    “Carol, can I borrow your stethoscope?”

    “Yeah, why?” She showed up with a plate full of food on a tray.

    “I'm not hearing anything through mine.” She said.

    Ken took it from her hands and put it to his mouth. “Are you sure?” He asked into the stethoscope.

    The nurse looked at him in confusion. He put his hand out for her to take his non-existent pulse. She just stared at him.

    “What...Are you?” She finally said.

    “We're just passing through. Can you give him more blood and both of us magnesium injections? We're both severely deficient. As soon as he wakes up, we'll be on our way.”

    “But-” one of the nurses started.

    “We will be on our way and you won't tell anyone else about us.”

    “I already informed the police, though.”

    Ken’s eyes widened. “Magnesium now.” He put his arm out and shoved the plate of food into his mouth before running to the supply room and grabbing a cooler and two more pints of blood.

    “Where are you going?”

    “I have to keep him safe. Away from them.” Ken said, stepping outside to load the car with supplies before detaching Hongbin from the machines and carrying him outside.

 

Five minutes later

    “What do you mean you don't know where they went?” The officer asked. He was wearing a slightly different uniform than she was used to.

    “We aren't equipped with any sort of security. If you wanted someone to go after them or stop them, give us more people.” Andi said with her hands on her hips.