back to the hotel

My way home is through you

Getting to the home stretch now then I can post that one shot that goes with 'open the gates of hell'

That one actually has in it

Anyhoo back to the hilltop hotel with you

 

 


 


 

 

 

    It took two rather quiet days to drive to the hotel in Louisiana. It was starting to put them both on edge. Everyday, Hongbin became more withdrawn.

    Jaehwan sang to all the same songs Ken liked, but he wasn't as cheerful or obnoxious about it. Ken used to get excited about random roadside attractions that Jaehwan looked less than enthusiastic about and Hongbin's mood seemed to be contagious.

    They got to the hotel and as soon as Jaehwan pulled into the valet parking, Hongbin jumped out of the car and hobbled to the bar without his scooter.

    Ravi didn't even say anything. He just opened the door. Hongbin nodded in thanks at him and sat at the bar. After he went in, he called Hakyeon on his earpiece.

    By the time Sanghyuk had put the makgeoli and radishes on the bar in front of him, Hakyeon was there, hugging him.

    “What happened to you?” The older man shrieked, looking at Hongbin's arm.

    “Fell off a cliff. Ken saved me… but Ken's gone now…”

    “you did save Jaehwan, right?”

    “Ken did… that's when I lost him.”

    “You understand they're the same person… different parts, but the same person.”

    “They're nothing alike. Jaehwan is subdued and quieter and nowhere near as friendly. Ken was… Ken was loud and loved singing and clingy and really out there. He's not the same.” Hongbin huffed into the space between his arms on the bar.

    “Have you ever thought that Jaehwan is trying to give you space? He can see you're hurting, and I'm sure he tried to distract you for a little while, but you weren't reacting to that, so I think the only other thing he can think of is to leave you alone.”

    “I think I'm going to go to my room.” Hongbin pouted.

    “Oh no you don't. I'm taking you to see Fen.”

    “Who?” Before Hongbin knew it, he was picked up and carried through the east wing of the hotel like a damsel in distress.

    Hakyeon knocked and a tall, almost skeletal, blond man answered.

    “Hey Sin, is Fen in?”

    “Funny you should say that. Hey Hongbin. He was just about to track you down and chew you a new one. Have a seat.” He guided Hongbin and Hakyeon to some chairs by the door.

    There was a large man bent over the bed closest to them. The best description Hongbin had for the man was ‘wolf’. He was injecting someone with a weird concoction.  Taekwoon was standing at the end of the bed, watching.

    Taekwoon saw the two men who had just entered and stormed up to Hongbin.

    “You were supposed to rescue him, not drain him of all of his energy.” Taekwoon growled at him.

    “What are you talking about?” Hongbin was genuinely confused.

    “One more night of whatever he was doing with you and he wouldn't have woken up again.” The man injecting Jaehwan finally turned to say.

    “I don't understand.” Hongbin said.

    “I can't stand seeing you in pain…” Jaehwan said softly. “I did what I could… so you wouldn't… hurt" his voice drifted off.

    “Sleep now. You'll wake up in your bed in a few days.”

Hongbin watched, feeling guilty as Taekwoon carried the sleeping man away.

    “Your turn.” Fen said, patting the bed.

    Hongbin hobbled, trying to keep his weight off his left foot. He sat on the bed, about to lay down when the large man grabbed his left ankle and started sniffing the cast. He did the same to Hongbin's arm.

    “Strip.” Fen said, leaving no room for argument. “Just leave your underwear on. Sin, could you be a dear and fill the bathtub?”

    “Sure thing, babe.”

    “If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing? I broke my arm and leg less than a week ago.” he still took his air casts off, not wanting to upset the man that was even larger than he was any further.

    “You underestimate the sheer amount of energy Jaehwan has been giving you.” He picked Hongbin up and put him in the almost painfully hot bath tub. Sin sprinkled random things and Hongbin felt more like they were adding spices for a soup than trying to make him feel better.

    “Jaehwan cares about you. More than you know.” Hakyeon said, sitting on the floor next to the tub as they waited for Hongbin to soak. He rest his arms on the edge and plopped his head on top. He splashed a tiny amount of water at Hongbin, making the younger man sputter.

    “You knew right away that he wasn't the same person, how can you tell me that they are?”

    “I could tell because Ken had no heartbeat.” Hakyeon stated simply.

    “...Oh.”

    A few minutes of awkward silence passed before Fen returned.

    “Are you in any pain?” He asked Hongbin.

    “No.”

    “Not even your shoulder where it seemed to have been dislocated at one point?”He prodded at the bruised shoulder. Hongbin shook his head. “Hakyeon, go to their room and bring Hongbin some clean clothes.” Hakyeon rushed to obey. Fen very slowly peeled the layers of gauze from Hongbin's arm and revealed a line of stitches going through practically unmarred skin.

    “Stitch kit please.” He shouted out the bathroom door.

Sin returned with an old fashioned medical bag. Hongbin cried out with every stitch Fen cut and pulled out.

    “They told Ken it was broken. There's nothing wrong with it. I was out for a couple days too.”

    “Jaehwan ing healed you.” Sin poked him in the shoulder with every syllable.  “Humanity, this incarnation is thick.”

    “It smells like you were in a medically induced coma. Should still be.” Fen sniffed him.

    “How can you tell? Why do you guys keep talking about incarnations? Why is there a dresser full of stuff that fits me? What is going on?”

    “First off,” Fen started, “reincarnation is actually a thing for some people. And fate is also a thing for some people. Since Jannie can't die, thanks to that virus that is swimming through his veins,” Fen stopped to sniff Hongbin again, “interesting. You have it this time as well.”

    “And that's where your fate comes and twines with his.” Sin said with a grin.

    “Normally he stays with you until your unfortunately early demise. It nearly kills him every time.” Fen lifted Hongbin's leg out of the water and peeled the gauze from those stitches as well.

    “How do I know he's looking at me and not my previous incarnations?”

    “He knows how much you hate it.” Hakyeon said, his arms full of Hongbin's sweats.

Hongbin shouted in pain as Fen pulled out the stitches again. “Do him a favour and don't look for Ken in him.”

    “I- I'll try…” Fen helped him out of the tub and drained it while Sin handed him a towel.

    “get dressed, meet us out there. I want to wrap your ankle, just in case.” Hongbin nodded and started to dry himself off.

 

    Hakyeon helped Hongbin to his room and Jaehwan was still asleep.

    “Fen wanted me to give you this when you got tucked in.” Hakyeon whispered, getting a glass of water and handing Hongbin a pill.

    As soon as Hongbin finished drinking the water, he was out.

Hakyeon tip toed out of the room hoping things would finally turn out well for the two of them.