Epilogue: Dreams

Unfelt

April 20, 2014

 

At the milktea shop, Sehun pulls two numbers from his pocket. Two and four cut from red colored paper. Aside from those numbers is a shape—a shape he has kept hidden inside. Heart.

 

Sehun goes to their table and sings a little birthday song for his best friend. When the last tune has ended, he picks an imaginary lighter and creates a tiny fire. “Here, a strawlight! Close your eyes and make a wish!”

Luhan's world dims, and Sehun breathes deeply. While Luhan wishes for Sehun’s love, Sehun promises something to him. Luhan, when you open your eyes, I’ll confess. At last, I’ll confess.

Luhan sees the light again. He gathers the air, and blows the strawlight away. Sehun greedily inhales the same air they breathe, and he starts to speak. “Luhan, I’m gonna te…” then his phone rings. Kai.

Flame has eaten up Luhan as he keeps on thinking who Sehun is talking to. But Luhan does not know that the flame is doing the same on Sehun. Because as much as Sehun wants to talk more to him, as much as he wants to end everything with Kai, at that point in time, he simply can’t.

“Luhan, Kai said he’ll treat us for lunch later,” Sehun announces after the phone conversation, his lips expanding to his ears because at last, he can talk with Luhan.

“Really?”

“Yeah, later at 12,” he confirms. He pauses for seconds, breathing all the air again for courage, catching all the strength to beat his fear. Yet within those seconds, questions have bothered his mind. Is it right to tell Luhan now? How about Kai? What will I tell him after this?

“You want to tell me something, right?” Luhan asks.

Sehun is only able to respond after some time. “Oh?” and a war begins inside him. He stares at Luhan, pondering and pondering, until he has reached a decision. “Ah, I just wanna tell you happy birthday again.”

“Oh, thanks.” And Luhan looks at the tiles below him, because his expectation gets utterly crashed. He has hoped for something more. He has thought that Sehun will give him the best gift he can ever receive in life. He has expected that Sehun will tell him he loves him.

I’m sorry, Luhan. But before I tell you everything, I’ll talk to him first. Later is my chance. After that, everything will change.

 

"Sweetie!" Kai shouts and Sehun runs. A hug, a kiss-- things that Sehun has always wanted to share with Luhan for a very long time. 

They have their lunch date. Kai feeds Sehun with a garlic bread, so Sehun feeds him back. There are sweet words here, sweet words there, and all those are initiated by Kai. 

Just before they finish eating, Sehun interrupts, "Uhm, nature's calling me. I'll go to the toilet for a while."

In the bathroom, he does nothing but to stare at the mirror and practice his speech. "Kai..." then he clears his throat, heart thumping too hard even just with the rehearsal. "I'm sorry, but this will...be our last day...as lovers. Because Kai...I love Luhan more."

 

Kai and Luhan are left at the table. And though Kai knows the answer, he asks Luhan nevertheless. "Do you still love Sehun?"

Luhan is taken aback, only replying with silence. 

"You can tell Sehun that you love him," Kai breaks the hush, "but remember, he is still mine."

Kai gazes, watching Luhan drown in pain. And to Kai, Luhan needs to drown. Luhan needs to drown because Kai can't give up on Sehun. Because even if Kai knows how much Sehun loves Luhan, he can't give Sehun to him.  

 

Sehun goes back and surprises them with a shout. Then, they talk and laugh until Kai remembers something.

"I have three tickets here for the park. Are you available tonight?" Kai asks.

"Really?" And Sehun thinks that he will just tell Kai tonight, because Kai still has a lot of work for the day, so it's better to tell after Kai finishes.  

"Do I look like joking?" Kai puts his face on Sehun's, attempting for a kiss.

But Sehun draws back because at that point, he can't handle feigning anymore. He wants his lips reserved for Luhan, and for Luhan only. 

 

Sehun and Luhan go back to their apartment. Sehun spreads the comforter, and he quickly falls asleep. 

During his sleep, he has dreamed about two things. One is the train at the ocean, but before that is a dream he has been dreaming about every single day. A dream that Sehun thinks will come true after he settles everything with Kai tonight. A dream that Luhan dreams about too.

 

Luhan walks, slowly, on the way full of red roses on the sides, petals of love scattered on the sand of purity, on the carpet to forever. He holds the bouquet of happiness, red and pink dancing together, blending so well with his suit hand-sewn with passion.

At the end of the walk is Sehun, smiling so wide, putting their world in utmost brightness. The breeze is cool, the wind is gentle. There is only silence, the blue waves' peaceful hymn, and the dawn's hushed symphonies. Luhan interlaces his fingers with Sehun's, and there, their forever starts.

Sehun puts the ring on Luhan, the ring that signifies his devotion. "I, Oh Sehun, take you, Luhan, to be my constant friend, my faithful partner, and my love from this day forward. I promise to love you unconditionally, to laugh with you and cry with you, and to cherish you for as long as we both shall live."

Luhan lets him wear the ring, the ring of joy and eternity. "I, Luhan, take you, Oh Sehun, to be my friend, my lover. I will be yours in plenty and in want, in sickness and in health, in joy and in sorrow. I promise to cherish and respect you, to care and protect you, to comfort and encourage you, and stay with you, for all eternity."

They smile, and between the seconds is the beat of their hearts. "I love you, Sehun," he whispers the shout of his soul, solemnly as the stars start to shine.

"I love you too, Luhan." There comes a wider smile, a wider grin, as Sehun puts his hands on Luhan's cheeks. He kisses Luhan, longer than forever.

And they live happily ever after.