First Dance

[HIATUS] Little Colorful Butterfly

 

 

            Jiyeon is on her way to the library now. She has been craving to finish her reading on the romance novel, the one she hid on the last shelf in the library; the book titled A Thing Called Love (First Love).

 

            She walks past a bunch of students shoving each others just to get a closer and better view at a particular article. Oh! So the article is about the senior night, the one that forces students with low self-esteem to feel even more insecure about themselves because they are forced to find dates for the dance. Jiyeon sighs and just walks straight ahead without any thoughts of attending the dance. Yes, she’ll be home safe and sound that night alright.

 

            “Hey,” Jinyoung suddenly says from her behind, sending cold nerves all over her body.

 

            She turns around to find that cheerful boy is grinning at her.

 

            “Hey.” There is a note of reluctance in saying hi back to Jinyoung. She just feels awkward having to talk with L. Joe’s best friend.

 

            “You don’t sound as glad as I am.” Jinyoung almost feels disappointed.

 

            “No.” Jiyeon is trying to find a good excuse now. “It’s just that my head still hurt from yesterday’s incident. But, it’s nothing serious.”

 

            Jinyoung smiles when say says that. “It’s good to hear that from you. And again, I’m terribly sorry for what my friend did.”

 

            Her eyes go wide but Jiyeon quickly changes her expression. She should really try to look neutral. “What do you mean?”

 

            “I must say I didn’t kick the can. But my friend did and he is as apologetic as I am, just so you know. He has this thing of being shy after committing mistakes.” So Jinyoung has to make up something about L. Joe’s ego of not saying sorry.

 

            “Oh!” Jiyeon pulls her falling hair to the behind of her ear. “It’s okay.” Perhaps.

 

            “Cool.” Jinyoung is now relieved. “So, the dance huh…” He tries to sound casual but he gets way too casual that Jiyeon seems to be reading what he’s getting at.

 

            “Yeah. I think of not going.” She doesn’t know why she has to tell him. What’s the priority of doing so anyway?

 

            “Really? That’s odd. I hope you don’t mind, but why?”

 

            “I don’t feel like it. It’s not my thing.”

 

            Jinyoung then slowly nods as if he understands why. “Okay then. The dance is just like 2 nights away and I thought of asking you to go with me, but I already got my answer. Hehehe.” Jinyoung finishes off with an awkward laugh.

 

            This time her eyes go wide. Just why does Jinyoung want to do that? He barely knows her.

 

“You did? Oh! Gosh, I’m sorry.”

 

            “It’s okay. I still have plenty of time to ask any girls out, I mean it’s not a hard thing for me, but I don’t want to brag.”

 

            Jiyeon almost chuckles when he says that but she decides to only smile widely. Thus making Jinyoung feels even more attracted to her.

           

            “Okay then, I probably should go now. My friends are waiting. As Jinyoung turns away, he counts “1…2…3”

 

            “Err…wait!” Jiyeon calls from behind.

 

            “Yeah?” Jinyoung turns around, acting like he’s curious of what Jiyeon has got to say.

 

            “Can I reconsider your offer?” She asks briskly, making Jinyoung beams at her.

 

            “Well, if you insist,” he answers jokingly.

           

            Jiyeon beams at him as well when he says it like that. “I’ll tell you tomorrow, here at this time of hour.”

 

            Jinyoung then glances at his watch and lifts his head up. “I’ll be expecting you here, right if front of this notice board, approximately 20 steps to that stairs due my north at 12.33 p.m.. How does that sound to you?”

 

            “Promising,” she shrugs and excuses herself to the library.

 

            And just Jinyoung is about to leave as well, he shouts so Jiyeon can hear him, “My name’s Jinyoung, by the way!”

 

            “Mine is Jiyeon. It’s glad to know you,” she replies back, shouting across the corridor as likewise.

 

            “You too!”

 

* * *

 

            Jinyoung almost dances his way to the port where L. Joe and the others hang out. He seems genuinely happy that Jiyeon is willing to reconsider his offer. He feels good today.

 

            “Did it go well?” Hoya asks as he grabs the empty chair next to L. Joe and drags it closer to Jinyoung.

 

            “It was alright.” Jinyoung retorts, pokerfaced.

 

            Hoya is very tempted to know what happened when Jinyoung has his poker face on. “Like seriously, it went alright? Like, that’s it?”

 

            L. Joe gets annoyed by the respond Jinyoung gives. He definitely has something going on and it worked, like always. Girls always say yes to Jinyoung. He knows it.

 

            “She agrees?” L. Joe snaps coldly. “She agrees to go the dance with you right?

 

            “Well, not really agree to do so, but I could see what will happen tomorrow. She’ll definitely say yes.”

 

            “Why do you insist on going to the dance with her? I mean, you barely know her, what she’s like and suddenly you’re gonna share this dance with this Jiyeon girl?” Hoya states his argument.

 

            “Look, you guys can laugh this off, but I’m like drawn to her, okay, like, I really want to get to know her.”

 

“Like befriend with her?” L. Joe asks.

 

            “Yeah. Like befriend with her.” Jinyoung then smiles as Jiyeon’s sweet smile crosses his mind.

 

            Hoya shoves him playfully and claims that Jinyoung is losing his sanity and this is like his first time of being attracted to a girl.

 

            “Are you serious? About this girl?” L. Joe asks again, looking right into his best friend’s eyes.

 

            “I don’t know. Maybe,” Jinyoung shrugs, looking lost.

 

            “I know that look,” Hoya points at Jinyoung’s face. “Man, you’re losing it.”

 

            L. Joe stares at Jinyoung’s face when Jinyoung suddenly shoves Hoya jokingly and them two are on each other and having fun like a couple of playmates in a sandbox.

 

            “Oh God…” He sighs. Does this mean he has to break the strained silence between him and Jiyeon and should start getting close to each other again? He can’t even think of the possibilities of having his best friends- date. Oh crap, the horror and of course the double awkwardness!

 

 

 * * *

 

 

            Today is supposed to be another normal school day but to Jiyeon, it’s not. She’s about to say yes to something that might actually change her life. Maybe something good will come out of it and everything will be back to normal. By normal she means to have her relationship with L. Joe fixed and to him as her best friend again. It may look weird to his friends at first, but things always change over time. She should just live every moments of it. Besides, it’s the senior year for her and L. Joe and she believes things should show some changes between them, and if L. Joe’s not gonna take the first lead, she will. She will fix it. And she knows L. Joe just that well. He’ll totally play along with her. God knows them two will be like pea in a pot. Or maybe not exactly like that, but the thought of having L. Joe back in her life should boost her headstart. And that is through getting close to his best friend, Jinyoung. Jinyoung and her seem to have the same position in L. Joe’s life. They’re his best friends.

 

 

            “Hey,” Jinyoung smiles as he walks towards her.

 

            “Hey there Jinyoung.”

 

            “Sorry I’m 2-minute late. The stairs somehow got crowded today. I tried my best to pass through them and get here almost on time.”

 

            “It’s okay.” She looks at his catching breathe. “I could see your effort.”

 

            “You wanna do it here or we should take it to the commissary? I mean, at least we get to wit down and have a drink.”

 

            Jiyeon thinks about what he says. No way. L. Joe may be there, and God knows how she is yet to be ready.

 

            “But it won’t take long, would it?” She asks.

 

            “Okay…” He then smiles. “So, what you say? I’m sorry but I don’t normally take no on a good cause.”

 

            She smiles and her bottom lip that strangely goes dry. “I’d go to the dance with you.”

 

            Jinyoung opens his eyes wide. He did saw this coming, but to actually hear the word from her, he feels relieved, excited and overwhelmed by her kindness. He appreciates her willingness to go to the dance with him.

 

            “Oh My God! Really?” He then jumps like a little child who found his lost toys and starts to shriek and he doesn’t want Jiyeon to have second thought.

           

            “Sorry, but I hope I don’t freak you out,” he says calmly as he settles down.

 

            “Yeah,” Jiyeon giggles when she sees the excitement in his eyes. “I feel good knowing that you look really sincere of wanting me to go with you.”

 

            “Well, I’m honoured to have you as my dance partner.”

 

            “You’re crazy. You barely know who I am.”

 

            “I know, but time will fix everything. This dance should open up more opportunities of knowing you deeper and I will make use of every second with you.”

 

            She is genuinely touched by what he says. She does hope he means it. “Then I’ll look forward to knowing you deeper as well.”

 

            “Thank you, Jiyeon,” he says, looking gently into her eyes.

 

* * *

 

            L.Joe’s dad, Mr. Lee is staring at his photo with his beautiful wife in his office. He starts to reminisce about the old bitter past. Fourteen years ago, they had it all. An amazing son, a secure resident, a perfect job until his wife died on her way to the hospital after them two got involved in an accident. It was no one’s fault, really. It was 7.00 p.m. and traffic went almost well. Mr. Lee was always a careful driver, especially when he had his loved ones on the board. They were on their way home from visiting his wife’s childhood friend when a black stray dog came running out of the bushes across the road. Mr. Lee had to avoid from hitting the dog and they crashed into a tree. He had some concussion but his wife was in a devastating state. The doctor said her brain literally shook when it accelerated against the skull which caused some of the neurons to break from each other when the impact took place. She had a tremendously small glitter of hope to even be in a coma. He was nearly going crazy when his wife had gone. He blamed no one else but himself for his wife’s tragic lost.

 

            Mr. Lee had to pull himself together as he still has responsibility toward 5-year old L. Joe and this is going to destroy L. Joe real bad if he were to lose his dad as well. Mr. Lee bounced back from his terrible condition and made a promise to his wife, no matter what happen he’s going to make his wife proud of him. He will raise L. Joe very well and give his son all the love he deserves. So, he decided to move in a convenient neighbourhood, bought a big house, comfortable enough for them two and let L. Joe lived his life as a normal kid. He may not have a mom, but his dad always makes sure L. Joe never felt neglected, let alone unloved.

 

            An aching pain suddenly came gripping his vein in the temple, making him feel extremely uneasy and suffocating. He grasps his shirt tight, his face winces and he is sweating like a pig. He quickly takes out a bottle of small pills for his tumour.

 

            He swallows four small pills fast down his throat without drinking any water after that. He finally breathes slowly in agony, the pain almost gone. He looks again at his wife’s face, now how is he going to take care of L. Joe when he is left with 3-month long to live? He cries in silence, with his head down and his heart crushed.

 

 

* * *

 

            The dance turned out fine. And L. Joe turned out very relieved. It isn’t the time for the silence to break anyway when Jinyoung turned up at his house and told him that Jiyeon was already at the dance. She has to come early, got something to settle with Mrs. Jihyo anyway, that is to help her around with the vote to pick the best student of the year.

 

            Too bad when the duo arrive, they can’t seem to find her. While L. Joe is busy with his new girlfriend, Min, Jinyoung decides he should go look for her. She is his date for tonight after all.

 

            The air feels breathless, the light seems to shine on her only and underneath the light, she looks stunning in the hourglass dress that hugs every inch of her body. The Vera Wang fits her like a glove and she definitely draws the attention of the crowd when Jiyeon walks down the stairs holding a clutch, brown colour matches her falling hair and her dress color, the brown-champagne. Her shoes look the best as the light catches the diamond and her feet are gorgeous as they always had been.

 

            “Wow…” is the first word that comes out from Jinyoung’s mouth. Proudly, he waits down at stairs and holds out his hand for her to take.

 

 

            “Gosh she looks really good.” Min is surprised when she takes second look at Jiyeon. “I know her from somewhere. Do you?” asks Min.

 

            L. Joe turns around and is genuinely surprised as well, but he manages to hide it and looks composed as always. He nods then smiles back at her girlfriend. “I always think you look the best. Even tonight.” That sounds like a big fat lie, but the way L. Joe says it makes it sound really real.

 

            “Thanks sweetheart.” Min is truly touched by his gentleness. She then caresses his jaw. “Well I believe you also look as handsome as usual.”

 

            Hmph. As handsome as usual. That doesn’t sound new but he smiles nevertheless and fixes his gaze over Jinyoung. His friend should be lucky tonight.

 

            “Thank you,” says Jiyeon as her hand goes inside Jinyoung’s grasp. “I feel extremely nervous and I don’t know how this could happen. I solely forget that this stairs lead to the dance hall, not the back door.”

 

            “You kill it. Everyone has their eyes on you. I think you look very beautiful.” Jinyoung takes her shaking hand and hold it tight. “I’m honoured to have with me tonight.”

 

            Jiyeon does nothing but smiles at his kind remark and walks with him. Thank God the dress is comfortable and the shoes really help her.

 

 

            The dance goes smoothly that night. The song that plays first is the song by Justin Bieber called First Dance. The slow pop song really fits the mood and every couple is on the dance floor right now, having their first dance.

 

Jiyeon is in her seat with Jinyoung at her right. When Jinyoung stands up and holds out his hand towards Jiyeon, she goes more nervous.

 

            “May I have this dance with you?” He looks into her eyes with full passion.

 

            “Sure,” she says with a sweet smile. She takes his hand and Jinyoung places his other hand on her waist.

 

            They dance to the song, when the mood gets almost too boring, a male student shouts, “Play “We’ll Be Alright by Travie McCoy and crank it higher will yah!”

 

            So the DJ fulfils the request and everyone is dancing their hearts out and having lots of fun. Jiyeon and Jinyoung are also getting comfortable with each other and starting to dance around like today is the last day of school, but it’s not.

 

            Jinyoung and Jiyeon start to enjoy themselves and they both really dance like crazy. They both laugh and when Jiyeon is about to fall, he grabs her by the waist. Jiyeon feels like her heart is about to burst, but instead she pulls herself together and thanks Jinyoung for his kind deed.

 

            “That was very gentleman of you,” she blushes, fixing her messy hair. “I was clumsy. I’m sorry.”

 

            “I thought you just wanted me to hold you.” Jinyoung jokes around as he doesn’t want her to feel awkward.

 

She almost laughs when he says that. She guesses Jinyoung isn’t that bad after all.

 

            On the other way around, L. Joe is already makes his way out of the ecstatic crowd and he grabs Min by her back with her. He leaves the hall and goes to a place calmer, far from crazy awkward dancing schoolmates.

 

            “I find it hard to breathe under such condition,” he blurts out first when he finds a perfect spot under the tree on the school field.

 

            “But this place is too far from the dance hall. Don’t you want to get back?”

 

            “Nah. I never like to be here in the first place.”

 

            Without knowing he has hurt Min’s feeling, she changes her expression and frees herself from his grasp.

 

            “Why did you even ask me to go to this ty dance with you?” Now here’s a thing what L. Joe likes about her. She curses and she does it like a boss.

 

            “Look, I really like you and I would want to have you as my date tonight. It doesn’t necessarily have to be in the dance, I mean I can have you here right now, can’t I?”

 

            “What is wrong with you?” She almost busts into tears. “Don’t you know how important this dance is to me? I wanna have my first dance with someone I like and he likes me back and I want to look back on this memory later when I’m like old and married.”

 

            “What are you talking about sweetheart? Can we please not be mushy?”

 

            “Oh My God!” What enough is enough. She can’t put up with this attitude anymore. “You know what, I’m going back to the dance and you can stay here, yourself around or do whatever you want coz I don’t wanna give a ing damn anymore. We’re so done!” With tears falling from her eyes and her squirming stomach, she gets up and throws the corsage at him. He flinches at the sudden angry throw.

 

            He knows what to do in this kind of situation. He quickly gets up and runs after her. He pulls her hands, forcing her to turn around and face him. There are strings of black mascara smudges her both cheeks.

 

            “I’ didn’t know you wore gothic style tonight,” he says calmly, but with a cynical smile.

 

            “Don’t do this to me right now,” she shoves him and L. Joe won’t budge a muscle. Huh, so he learns.

 

            “Look, Min I truly regret all the things I did just now.”

 

            “Huh, I got that a lot.” She sneers. “Really, I do.”

 

            “I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings and it’s my bad if I have given you this ty night. I honestly don’t want you to tell this to your children. I don’t know this dance means a world to you. I guess I’m just a fool.”

 

            “Oh God,” she sighs. “You’re not a fool. And I’m sorry I threw the corsage in your face. I was really upset.”

 

            “I know and I feel really really bad about it,” he says while pulling her close to him. “I don’t want you to upset with me anymore.”

 

            She looks into his eyes as he holds her in the same way. They both were very sorry that night doesn’t turn out well for both of them.

 

            “I got too carried away. It’s not entirely your fault.” Min then rubs her finger around L. Joe’s arm and it tickles him.

 

            “I like when you do that. I liked it when you cursed just now.” He smiles cynically, but full of mischief.

 

            “You’re crazy. I might sound like a just now.”

 

            “That’s what I like about you. Naughty, and hot at the same time.”

 

            Min then smiles, looking directly into his eyes. For the dance tonight she wears a tight mini dress in hot pink with all her hair tied in a messy knot. She naturally lets some hair fall and she looks even ier in red pumps. This could drive any man crazy with her full hot body but she dresses that way only to impress L. Joe and she’s glad he likes it.

 

            “I thought I won’t make it in this dress. It was so hard to pull this look. I never like tight mini dresses anyway.”

 

            “Sweetheart, you look gorgeous tonight okay. And it’s not because of the dress or how you pull your hair back, but because that’s just what you are. You are a beautiful woman. Always.”

 

            She wraps her fingers around his neck, brings face close and she kisses him. L. Joe kisses back, this time their kiss gets more passionate as they both are exploring each other’s mouth like never before.

 

            L. Joe swiftly moves his hands onto her and s it hard while Min just rakes through his hair in their hot French kiss.

 

            Their kiss lasts almost 5 minutes when they both stop to catch some breathe.

 

            “I’ve been wanting for a girl to make the first move.”                

 

            She just laughs when he says that. “Well I certainly like the way you grab my .”

 

            His mouth curves into a thin smile, and while he stares into her eyes, he almost feels something. Okay, so things may change a little while between him and his new girl. She is not like any other.

 

            “So you want to tell this to your daughter?”

 

            “About the kiss? I don’t know. I kinda forgot how it went,” she adds with a gesture.

 

            L. Joe does what he does best. He cups both of her cheek and grabs her face close to him. But when they are just a breath away when L. Joe holds her face still. They are breathing in each other’s face. 

 

            “It starts like this,” he says. Then he brings close his lips to hers. And between the pressing kiss he says, “This is the part where the magic happens.”

 

            He kisses soft on the lips first, and slowly his tongue parts and while she takes his in, they both are in each other’s arm. He is still cupping both of her face when Min pulls his hand off and places them on her back. He hugs her close to her. Min wraps her hands over his shoulders in the cold night. They may feel warm but hot still.

 

 

* * *

 

            L. Joe is waiting for Jinyoung in front of the car when Jinyoung and Jiyeon are walking together, approaching the car. He should be ready to say hi now.

 

            But before he actually get to decide which greeting words to say, like hello or hi, or hey, Jiyeon and Jinyoung both stop and already say goodbye to each other. Jiyeon walks straight ahead and heads towards a green car. The two looks surprising sweet together, well Jinyoung is a sweet guy after all.

 

            He walks towards L. Joe with a bright smile and a jumpy walk.

 

            “Don’t leap like that. It’s freaky.”

 

            “I’M NOT LEAPING.” He looks at L. Joe with a reproving look. Then he smiles again. “But that is not gonna ruin how I feel tonight.”

 

“You feel good?” L. Joe asks as they both mount the car.

 

            “Really good like so good that you feel light in every step you take.” Jinyoung is already starting the car.

 

            “That’s why you’re leaping, isn’t it?” He says it again.

 

            “I’m not leaping. Dammit L. Joe, can’t you be happy for me? I think I finally found the right girl, had our first beautiful dance and you’re gonna say that I leap?”

 

            “Dude, you’re not getting married to her.” He looks just that mean.

 

            Jinyoung sighs. “Seriously, you’re just as annoying as ever.” He drives away from school parking lot. “And do tell me why I didn’t see you at the dance, like for the whole dance?”

 

            “Min and I kinda made out on the school field.”

 

            “Oh. That does sound familiar and very L. Joe-like.”

 

            “Don’t be jealous.”

 

            “I’m not. Besides, you just go out with her and already you guys make out?”

 

            “Look. I have experience in this kind of thing and it seems like she has to. I don’t mind rushing stuff like that, you know it yourself.”

 

            “Gosh…” Jinyoung glances over his bestfriend. “You really should learn how to appreciate women. You can’t treat them like that. Not all of women have that kind of experience. Some of them need some more time.”

 

            L. Joe then springs forwards when Jinyoung says that. “OMG! She dodges your kiss?” His eyes are very much going wide as he is waiting for Jinyoung’s answer.

 

            “No!” Jinyoung shouts. “I didn’t even get to touch her face. Look, L. Joe this isn’t about me. This is about you okay. When will you realise women can’t just be kissed when they get mad? You should really talk to her first, in a nice manner I mean and really listen to what she has to say about you. Then you apologise, which I suggest you to start now. Like seriously, how hard saying ‘I’m sorry’ can be? People haven’t died from doing it y’know.”

 

 

            “Gosh, you sound like my dad. He even asks me to get married just so I can learn how to appreciate women. C’mon now, don’t act like you don’t know me. Besides, I did talk to her first, and I listened-…” L. Joe then gives Jinyoung a piercing look. “How the heck did you know Min was mad at me?”

 

            “I know you just that well. I could tell.”

 

            “You sound like a stalker but in an amazing way. Anyways, let’s get to me. I didn’t interrupt when she talks and I caress her in a loving way. Then she kissed me first. That was like our first kiss and she was like took the first lead and I really don’t mind that ya’know. I think she’s cool.”

 

            “You fancy her?”

 

            “Well, she’s hot. Not a . Not a bimbo either,” he shrugs. “Maybe I kinda have the fuzzy possibility of almost fancying her. I mean, we do suit each other. We even kissed twice, but the second time around the kiss lasted maybe about 5-6 minutes or something, but we didn’t really care. French kissing was suddenly fun when doing it with the right girl. You know what I’m saying?”

 

            “You’ve always liked to kiss.”

 

            “I know. But this time-…” He pauses. “Min is different. I don’t know. Let’s just see how it goes. And I hope it goes well.”

 

            “I sure hope the same.” He then turns to look at his L. Joe. “You need to stop messing around.”