Chapter 2

Invisible

The rain let up the next day, but Kris could still smell the wet dew from the rain which had soaked everything in its path. Kris’ feet crunched across the gravel as they made their way up to the ‘throw up house.’ Kris noticed that today the house looked better in a way, it wasn’t as dreadful as it looked yesterday, or even a week ago; the house looked calm as if it were a sanctuary or a safe place to be. Kris placed his hand on the brass door opener and he could immediately hear music from inside. As he stepped over the threshold his hands shot up to his ears

 

 “New student” he muttered.

 

 Carefully he sat his music folder down on the chair, crouching, he crawled on his hands and knees down the hall over to the room from where the noise, one could hardly call it sound, was coming from. Peering over the side Kris spotted through the window the black haired boy, whom Kris decided to be friends with yesterday, except the other boy didn’t know it yet.

 

 Kris smiled to himself as he watched his teacher guide the boy’s fingers over the metal strings of the instrument, just as she once did for him. Kris watched as his teacher walked over to the piano and the two of them began to play together.

 

'For such a simple song as ‘twinkle, twinkle little star’ it does sound quite good.' Kris thought.

 

Kris flinched at the same time the boy did when the boy received a slap to the back of the head for playing the notes wrong.

 

‘Does she know he’s blind?’ Kris thought

 

“That boy is faking being blind you know.”

 

Kris jumped and stood, turning around, facing his doctor.

 

 ‘Gotta work on not saying my thoughts out loud’

 

“He’s faking being blind” his doctor repeated   “I don’t want you hanging around a liar like that.”

 

Kris nodded; knowing very well that the boy wasn’t faking, but he knew it was useless to argue with his doctor

 

“Your class is in 30 minutes. If you’re late, you know what will happen.”

 

 Kris nodded again and watched as his doctor walked down the hallway and out the wooden door. Kris turned back to the boy and flinched again when the boy was hit again on the back of the head. This time hard enough to elicit a response from the boy. Kris sighed and ran a hand through his hair, when he looked up; he saw that his teacher was angrily walking toward him.

 

Kris looked to his right and immediately dashed down the hallway quickly flattening himself against the wall next to an old broken coo-coo clock which Kris hated. It smelled like a combination of dust and cat pee. The old clock, although broken, kept ringing every 10 minutes – because the clock moved so fast. Kris peeked out from behind the clock to see his teacher slip out the door muttering something about being tone-deaf. Kris sighed in relief, when his teacher was angry she was scary.

 

“AH!” Kris yelled when the clock went off and a small wooden dragon pretended to spit fire at him. Kris sped past the coo-coo clock of death and walked down the hall, pausing in front of the room which the boy was sitting, cello still positioned in-between his legs.

 

 Kris looked at the floor and continued to calmly walk past when he heard a small sniffle come from inside. Kris pivoted on his heel and turned to peer inside the door frame to see the boy crying, tears were streaming down his face, and his eyes were staring, unmoving , at the wall across from him. Kris’ feet moved on their own, he walked over the tan, now brown from dirt, carpet. Kris’ chest constricted when he saw the boy’s posture had stiffened and he forced himself to stop crying, thinking Kris was his teacher.

 

Kris moved toward the piano and pulled out a cherry flavored candy from the glass jar. Kris walked back over to the trembling boy; he took one look at him and kneeled down on his knees next to the boy.

 

“P-Please, don’t hit me” the boy mumbled.

 

 Kris looked at him and silently took the boy’s bow out of his hand and placed it on the metal stand then, he took his cello and placed it on its side in front of him. Kris grabbed the boy’s small hand and gently placed the candy in it.

 

“I’m not going to hit you, I promise, but eat this it helps.” Kris said. The boy hesitated

 

“Do you trust me?”

 

The boy nodded then he took the candy and slowly ate it. Kris smiled as the boy’s eyes lit up

 

“You’re right” the boy said hiccupping “It helps”   

 

 Kris sat next to the boy, behind the house, in an old metal garden swing. The white paint was chipping off and the rusted metal was showing through, threatening to get anyone who touched it, sick. They sat in silence, the boy staring at the ground in front of him, his hands intertwined in between his legs and his leg was shaking.

 

Kris stared out at the garden; it was in worse shape than the house itself, most of the plants were either dead or withering away, the sticks from dead bushes intertwined with each other covering the path.

 

Kris’ chest suddenly constricted, he knew what was coming as his head began to swim, he reached in to his pocket and pulled out the orange pill bottle, he swallowed a pill and grumbled slightly while waiting for the medication to work.

 

“Everything ok?” the boy asked

 

“Yeah”

 

the boy nodded before going back to stare at the ground, kicking the dirt between his feet. Kris watched as a small dust cloud pooled around the boy’s feet when suddenly Kris blurted out

 

“What’s your name?”

 

The boy jumped and propping his knee up on the bench the boy turned to face Kris

 

“Tao” he muttered

 

“Tao” Kris tried the name out for himself nodding his head as if he agreed

 

 “What’s yours?” the boy, Tao asked

 

“Kris”

 

Tao nodded.

 

They remained in silence again. Kris felt they didn’t need to talk much to each other but just sitting in each other’s company was enough. For once in his life Kris felt like he belonged, he was happy

 

 “What does the color red look like?” Tao muttered as if he was hesitant to ask.

 

Kris pulled himself out of his thoughts

 

 “What?”

 

“The color red? What does it look like, I always hear about it, it sounds nice but…” Tao trailed off “I’ve never seen it” 

 

Kris looked at the boy in front of him feeling slightly sad upon the realization that Tao has never actually seen colors before.

 

“Well” Kris began

 

“Think of a warm summer day sometime in August, when it’s warm but not too hot, the wind is blowing in your face and the smell of spices is everywhere…”

 

Kris trailed off then he cleared his throat

 

“That to me is what the color red is.”

 

Tao turned himself back toward the ground, and he smiled at it.

 

“It sounds nice”

 

Kris pretended not to hear the small strain in his voice.  The wind picked up; rustling the leaves around them causing Tao to shiver.

 

“Are you cold?” Kris asked, Tao mumbled something

 

“What?”

 

“I’m used to it.” 

 

Kris stared at the boy next to him and wondered what Tao has actually been through.

 

To make him shiver and say he’s not cold, when goosebumps are trailing all over his arms.

 

To make people say he’s a liar about being blind when clearly he’s telling the truth.

 

“Why do people say you’re not blind?” Kris asked, more to himself.

 

“My mother.”

 

Tao responded lifting his head to stare out into the garden

 

“My father became blind when he joined the army, they found it was caused by a disease. My father didn’t want to be blind so he-“  Tao gulped “he killed himself”

 

Kris could see the boy’s eyes begin to brim with tears

 

“You don’t have to tell me..”

 

“No, someone should know.” Tao cut him off “ he jumped off a bridge one day and ever since then my mother became paranoid that I was going to do the same so, she told everyone that I could see and she treated me like I could as well. So, many people believe her story and not mine.”

 

Tao’s voice was cut off with small sobs. Kris didn’t know what to do, he wasn’t used to other people leaning on his shoulder when they were sad, but the sobs from the shaking boy next to him made him do the only thing he could think of. Kris gently grabbed Tao’s sleeve and pulled his shaking body closer to his own. Kris awkwardly wrapped his arms around Tao, tucking the boy’s head in his neck.

 

“It’s ok Tao, It’s going to be ok.” Kris mumbled still unsure of what he was doing or if it was actually helping.

 

 

He felt Tao pull away and Kris dropped his arms

 

“Thank you” was the only thing Kris heard before he heard someone else calling for him in a very angry tone.

 

“Wu Yi Fan! You’re late for class!” 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N 

as you might have guessed yes this is based off jin's gone mv I really wanted to basically "complete the story" becasue the video itself was a clif hanger so I wanted to go into what made some of the people act certain ways they did in the video... and thus this fic was created ! 

 

But finally FINALS ARE OVER !  

 

Yesh, I am so glad. maybe now I can write more often. (( I usually wirte in Econ class Shhhh... don't tell Mr. Roth- Rossi -- whose my teacher)) 

 

anyway I hope you enjoy this update... sorry I promise things will start to get interesting soon. ehehehehe 

 

Feel free to leave comments ! They make me happy and help keep me motivated to keep writing ! (and I will probably do a happy dance) 

 

((also 13 subs: WHAT?! I was not expecting that ! Thank you all for dealing with my randomness)) 

 

~Ring-Ding-Dong