Chapter 6

Miracle in December

Another weekend was coming. It had been a week since that perfect day. My day was always amazing. The first thing that I always did in the morning after I opened my eyes was gave my bride a peck on her lips as a greeting. And I never forgot to greet my baby too. My wife never left me alone in bed. She always waited for me to wake up before she took a bath and prepared the breakfast.

Just like this morning, I woke up beside her, facing her. When I opened my eyes, she was already smiling to me.

“Good morning, Kris.” She said.

“Good morning, sweetheart.” I gave her the morning kiss, longer than usual. And then move to her tummy. “Good morning baby. Did you sleep well?” I caressed it a bit, waiting for a respond. And it did. The baby gave me the small kick. “Good kid!” I smiled.

Jinah stirred, trying to get up. I pulled her back to my embrace. “Five more minutes, dear. It’s weekend.” I closed my eyes again and inhaled her sweet scent.

“Okay, five more minutes.” She stayed quite in between my arms.

Not long after, she broke the silence. “Do you want to go the doctor with me? I want to meet our baby.”

I looked at her. “Of course I will. Let’s go after breakfast. Or do you want to eat outside?” I asked her.

“Ehm…actually, I want to eat at home. I miss Mom’s porridge.” Her eyes looked so innocent.

I knitted my eyebrows. “Why don’t you say that last night? I mean, if you want to eat something in particular, just say it. I will try to find it for you.”

She grinned. “I don’t want you to be busy because of my endless cravings.”

I patted her head. “It’s fine baby. Promise me that you will tell me about your cravings, all of them, okay?”

She nodded. “I will call Mom after this and tell her that we will come for breakfast.” She let go of me and stand up, trying to make a bun with her long straight hair. “I’ll take a bath first and prepare what we need for the meeting with the doctor today. You can just lay down here or do anything else. Got it?” She looked like a strict mother, and it was cute.

“Yes, Ma’am.” I saluted to her. And she turned around to go to the bathroom. “Sorry, one question.” She looked at me with a questioning look. “Can I just join you to take a bath?” I tried to look as innocent as possible.

She widened her eyes and blushed. She ignored me and went straight inside, then locked the door. I laughed at her silly face and cute movements. What did I do in the past until God gave me you? The best present, more than I could ask for.

***

She was ready with her hand bag when I came out from the bathroom after took a bath. She looked so beautiful as always, but I thought her aura was more radiant because of her pregnancy.

“You’re ready?” I asked her while walked to the dresser to get my watch, phone, wallet, and the key.

“Yap, let’s go.” She chirped. She seemed so happy.

I held her free hand and we walked side by side until the basement. I opened the door for her before ran a little to my seat. After made sure that everything was in place, I started to step on the gas.

The journey was comfortable as always. It’s always the same every morning. I went to work with Jinah and dropped her in the hospital before headed to my own office. It’s a little bit far, but it was completely fine with me. Jinah liked to play the songs inside the car and hummed to the melody. The cute part was she sometimes got overly excited and then danced a little bit with her hands when she liked the song. I chuckled when I remember them all, her habits. I could tell our children a nice story later about their Mom.

“Did you just let out a chuckle?” Jinah looked at me.

I grabbed her free hand and kissed the back of it. “I am thinking of you, dear.” I smiled to her. She just rolled her eyes.

“Ehm,,,,Kris, we can find out about the baby’s gender today. Do you want to know it or just wait until the baby is born?” She bit her lower lip.

“What do you think?” I knew that she had something in mind already.

“I am kind of curious.” She said.

“Yeah, me too. Let’s find it out then. As long as you’re comfortable with it, then do it.” I threw a smile, hoped that she would be more confident with her option.

“Yap, let’s do it then.” She smiled back and then looked out the window while hummed a cheerful song.

We arrived in the Hong’s house in no time. My mother-in-law was running to open the front door right after I stopped the car’s machine. Jinah stepped out from the car and hugged her mother happily. I got out from the car and locked it before went to the two lovely women.

“I miss you too, Nana. Oh,,,my little daughter.” They were still in each other arms.

“Ehm.” I tried to get their attention and I got it.

“Ups sorry handsome.” They let go of the hug and Mom hugged me. “I really miss you too my boy.” I got a kiss in my left cheek. “How’s life? Is everything fine?”

I nodded while Jinah grabbed her mother’s hand and told her about our daily routine (but not too details) while walking inside the house. I followed them with a smile in my face.

“Hi Bro.” Jonghyun gave me a hug.

“How’s Yura?” I teased my single bestfriend.

“Eugh..stop that, boy.” He got annoyed but I could see that his face was red now.

“Hi Dad.” I greeted my father in law and gave him a hug too. “I am still doing great with my duty, Captain. Don’t worry.”

“I know I can trust you, Kris.” He dragged me to the dining room.

Mom and Jinah were already there and I saw Jinah ate the porridge happily. But then she stopped when she saw me.

“Oh my God. I’m sorry Kris. But I really forgot about you.” She looked guilty. “I will get the rice for you, just wait here.”

I stopped her from standing up. “I’ll get it myself. Enjoy your food, dear.”

“No. Stop you two. I’ll get the rice for us.” Mom went straight to the kitchen and got 4 bowls of rice for me, dad, Jonghyun, and herself.

“Thanks for the meals!” The family shouted in unison. Without Jinah of course because she was busy with her porridge.

The atmosphere was so warm as always. Mom and Dad talked about their marriage life while me, Jinah, and Jonghyun just listened and gave some questions. It was really fun.

I took a glance to Jinah and I saw her was looking into my bowl of soup. I let out a chuckle. This girl was just adorable.

“Do you want some?” I asked her while place a spoon of soup in front of .

She nodded and ate the soup. “It’s so delicious.” She chirped. “I’ll take some.”

She was ready to stand when I grabbed her arm. “Let’s share this first.”

I kept feeding her with the soup and gave her the rice too while listening to the sweetest love story from Mom and Dad. They talk about their experience when they know that Mom was pregnant. They were just beyond happy.

“You see Nana, even though you are not my own child, but I love you both the same. You know it right?” Dad smiled to Jinah, tried to convince his little girl that he loved her very much.

Jinah stopped eating and looked at her father right in the eyes. She smiled and nodded. I saw her eyes were full of tears. It would run down her cheeks soon. And I was right. She cried. I smiled. My girl with her hormones.

“Why are you crying?” Jonghyun was surprised and worried.

Dad asked his little girl to come closer and he gave her a long hug while Mom was patting her head.

“It’s normal for a pregnant woman, Jjong.” Mom gave a little explanation to Jonghyun. Then she looked at me. “You know this, right?”

I smiled to her and nodded. “Of course, Mom.” I threw my sight to Jonghyun who was still in disbelief state. “Go ask Yura to marry you and not long after you will understand this situation.” I really loved to until his face got so red.

Jonghyun rolled his eyes and continued his activities with the meal.

“You’re still a baby, Nana.”

“Stop that Dad!” She let go of the hug and give a soft punch to her daddy’s arm. “Woah, It’s embarrassing. I’m so sorry Kris, it didn’t look so appealing, right?” She chuckled and came back to her chair, beside me.

I whispered to her ear. “I love you the same, even more.” And ‘Booommm’! She blushed.

I didn’t realize that Jonghyun paid attention to us. “You blushed, Nana. What did he say?” then he scoped another spoon of his soup.

“You don’t need to know Jjong. Go get your own wife. Ask Yura. I bet she will say yes!” Jinah brother and then continued to empty up the bowl of our soup.

My mother in law laughed at her two kids and asked me and Jinah something. “Do you two have a plan for the next baby?”

Jinah was so surprised. She swallowed the soup to the wrong way. “Mom!”

I gave her a glass of water while patting her back. It was funny actually. First, there was still a baby in Jinah’s womb, so how could we make another baby? Second, I hadn’t touched her yet. I meant, we hadn’t done ‘that’ before. I was waiting for Jinah, until she was ready for it. I didn’t want to push her to move fast in this relationship.

“There is a baby here in my tummy and you already talked about another one? Oh my goodness, Mom.” Jinah stole a glance at me and looked so shy.

I knew what’s on your pretty little mind, Jinah. She looked so cute that way.

Well, we all realized that she was back to her old self before the accident happened. We were proud of her. She went through too much in these past months. Looking at her laughing face now, we hoped that there was only happiness for the rest of her life.

***