Chapter 1

Miracle in December

Life can be completely cruel toward people. Their world can be upside down just in a second, or two. In my case, my parents were not together since I was 15. I lived with my father in Canada while my mom was always moving between China and Korea. I grew alone actually.

World matured me well since my father always went abroad to do his business. I knew that he did it for me though. I kept in touch with Mom too. She called me sometimes to make sure that I lived perfectly fine. At least, I knew that they loved me and they once loved each other.

I was 24 when mom asked me to come to Korea to life with her for a while before she moved to China. Dad didn’t say no too since he always left me alone in Vancouver. I really couldn’t wait to meet my mom, my friends, and that someone, the one who stole my whole heart at the first glance. How are you now little princess? I felt my lips formed a small smile while remembering about her. Funny, right? I was so young back then. That’s why I never told her about my feelings. I was too young and coward.

I dragged my suitcase and walked toward the exit of the airport. I was looking for my mom when I saw a familiar man standing still with his brightest smile in his face.

“Kris!” He shouted my name.

I smiled and walk closer to my best friend. I hugged him briefly. “Hi dr. Jonghyun! How’s life?”

“I am good. Look who is this tall man! Puberty worked well on you, huh?” He helped me with my suitcase.

He was Hong Jonghyun, my best friend since elementary school. We’re always together. People called us twins even though we’re completely different mentally and physically. He was the best buddy ever. He was a young doctor. He chose to grant his father’s wish to become a great doctor, just like him.

“Don’t forget that I am handsome too!” I elbowed him.

He laughed. “Where is your dark burned skin?”

“Do you really have to remember that? I grew perfectly fine in Canada, okay? Don’t remind me about that part of my past.” I warned him. Yep, I was so dark back then since I always played outside. I liked to play basketball, so, yeah, the sun amazingly burned me.

“Your mom asked me to pick you up because she has an important meeting in her office.” He finally told me about the reason why my mom couldn’t be here.

“I know, important meeting.” I slightly felt sad. How important it was until she had no time to meet me.

“Come on, dude. You’re not 12.” He tried to make me felt better. And it worked. “My mom asked me to bring you home soon. I guest she misses her other son.”

“Sure, I’ll come.” I smiled widely. Jonghyun’s family always welcomed me with their warmth. His parents treated me like their own son. I would never get tired of their love. They were so sincere. Sometimes I felt so envy toward them. They had no problem in their life. They were the portrait of a real fairytale which lived happily ever after. But I was happy enough knowing that they included me in their sweet story.

The car moved fast together with the crowd around it. Seoul that I missed was almost the same with the old one that I left years ago. Snow was falling slowly in early winter, brought some coldness together with its softness. I didn’t know why but it brought a calm feeling inside my heart.

“How’s Jinah?” I asked the driving Jonghyun. Im Jinah was his cousin who lived with him since she was a little kid. Her parents were died in a car accident and since then, Jonghyun’s parents become her legal guardian. This was not a secret but my first love.

“Nightmare. Something really bad happened to her 3 months ago.” He let out a deep sigh.

“What happened?” I sounded so serious. My head produced many possibilities. The one that I hoped for was everything was a lie.

“She is pregnant.” He stopped for seconds. And at that time I heard something broke inside me. “She is not married yet. Her ex rapped her because he didn’t want to break up with Nana. He tried to own her with that dirty way. But no, I would never let him. Dad and Mom agreed with me, not to let him marry her. We decided to take care of the baby on our own, even without a father for the baby.” He let out another sigh.

I couldn’t believe any of his words. Who could?? The precious diamond that I loved the most was damaged by someone that I didn’t know. I felt nothing but worried over Nana.

“How is she now?” I bravely asked him again. Actually I was not ready to hear anything related to her condition. I was afraid.

“3 months ago, she was just a mute girl who never left her room. She was broken. But now, she is better even though she changed. I mean, who doesn’t? Her life was completely broken that night, right? I thanked God that she can survive until now.” I saw this man beside me wiped his tears away.

God, she is a good girl. She never did any mistake. How can you give her a hard time?

I stepped inside that familiar apartment, the place that brought so many sweet and warm memories of my childhood. I looked around and stopped when I heard footsteps came closer.

“Yi Fan!” That beautiful lady indeed grew old, but she was still beautiful as always.

I hugged her tight. “Hey Mom!”

“I missed you big boy!” She broke the hug. “I’m sorry I couldn’t come to the airport. I was on an important meeting.”

“It’s fine. Jonghyun was a good company.” I kissed her cheek and hugged her longer.

“Stop this or I’ll cry!” She wiped her flowing tears away. “Clean yourself and let’s eat. I prepare some food for you.”

The dinner was so great. Despite her busy life, mom spent some time to prepare those meals for me. I realized that I really missed her cooking. We sat down in the sofa, saying nothing. We just admired each other presence, or at least, me. I really missed her. I never met her personally after dad brought me to Canada. And now, when I was able to touch her, kiss her, hug her, I could do nothing but say thanks to life.

“Mom, did you hear the news? about Jinah?” Jonghyun’s story kept lingering in my mind since before. And I thought about many possibilities that could happen next.

My family was close to Jonghyun’s since before so they knew about Jinah too.

“I heard it. She is just unlucky I think. That sweet girl...I can’t imagine how she can survive till now. She is an amazing girl.”

“Mom, I talked about this before, about my feelings toward Jinah right?” I gathered more courage to bring this topic up. “What if I decide to marry her now?”

My mom looked at me with wide eyes. “Yifan, you’re kidding.” She laughed a bit. “You still love her that much? You will take the responsibilities? The baby is not yours.”

“I know. But how can I see her fight for her life and the baby by herself? I know she can do it. But I want to be there for her Mom.” I tried to convince my mother.

She smiled and cupped my cheeks, kissed my forehead. “I know you grew as a good man. I am proud of you, son.”

“Is that a yes?” I widened my eyes. She just nodded.

Sure. This is my final decision. I knew this will be hard to ask her parents to give me the permission, but I thought asking for her own agreement was the hardest. At least, I had to try, right?

*__________________*

 

I will try to post the next chapter next week. hope you enjoy the story.... :)