Chapter 9

Miracle in December

I had to go to the airport in early morning. But Jinah had already woke up and prepared a breakfast for me. I walked down the stairs and spotted her in the kitchen. I came closer and hugged her from behind.

“I was looking for you when I woke up. You were not there, Jinah.” I kissed her check.

“I have to prepare this for you right? At least you can eat something before you go.” She moved to the dining room with a bowl of soup in her hand.

I followed her and sat down in the chair with a smile in my face. Indeed, she was the best.

“Jjong will come down anytime soon, you better finish it fast.” She sat down beside me with her warm milk.

I started to eat and sometimes feed my wife too. This soup was delicious as always, full of love and sincerity. “Thanks you dear, for preparing this for me since early morning. You have to sleep more, get it?”

“Don’t worry too much about me, Kris.” She said and smiled to me.

I finished the soup fast, just like how Jinah wanted me to. Not long after, Jonghyun came down the stairs and grabbed a toast that Jinah made for him.

“Just toast for me and a soup for your husband?” Jonghyun looked so upset.

“Get your own wife, Jjong!” Jinah said.

I laughed at these two siblings. They were just too adorable with that love-hate relationship.

“I’ll be back with my case. You better eat faster and prepare the car soon, brother-in-law.” I went back to the bedroom and bring my case and also my backpack.

I came back down but saw no one in the dining room. I decided to go outside to the porch and there she was. Jinah waited for me there with Jonghyun.

“I’ll go first so you two can say the proper goodbye.” Jonghyun said and bring my case with him to the car.

I grabbed both of my wife’s hands. “Stay healthy and happy, dear. I’ll see you on Sunday. I’ll call you whenever I’m free.”

“I have a work too, Kris. Just call me before sleep. Don’t worry too much about us, we will be fine here.” She hugged me. “Don’t tire yourself, and send my greeting to Mom. I miss her so much. And I will miss you too, Daddy.”

I patted her head. “I love you Jinah.”

I let go of the hug and kissed her lips, I tried to cherish every second that was here, now. I knew this was too much but don’t blame me, it was our first time for being away after our marriage.

She stepped away. “Go now, Jjong will hate you if you are not coming anytime soon.”

I smiled. “See you on Sunday, Dear.”

***

My flight was smooth and someone picked me up already in the airport when I went out from the arrival gate. I went straight to the hotel and didn’t forget to send a message to my Mom and also Jinah that I had arrived.

Mom sent a lot of cute emoticons and texts that she couldn’t wait to meet me on Friday, and I just said ‘me too’. Jinah made me worry a little bit because she didn’t replay my message. Maybe she was at work now or still doing the check-up.

I arrived at the hotel to get ready for the meeting. I had no time to check on my phone but I hadn’t heard any sound yet from it anyway. The meeting went perfectly fine. There was no big problem between me and the big boss. After the meeting, the boss asked me to have a dinner with him.  So, here we were, in a famous Chinese restaurant in the middle of the town.

“So, how long have you been married, Kris?” He asked.

“A month, Mr. Zhang. And we are expecting a baby soon.” I answered.

“Wow, you are fast. It’s a pity that you are already married. I really wish that you could be my son-in –law.” He chuckled. “It must be hard for being away from your wife right?”

I just smiled. He indeed knew well how newlywed felt. “I guess so. But I still have to stay until Sunday because my mother is here in China. So I decided to visit her too.”

“You’re not only a good husband, but also a perfect son, huh? I am so envy of your parents. They must be super proud of you.” He ate the other piece of his steak.

“I’m lacking in many ways too, Mr. Zhang. Don’t praise me too much.” I tried to stay low.

“You are the one who will handle my project in Korea, is that right?” He asked about the work again.

We chatted so much until almost 9. I went back to the hotel at around 10 and tried to find my phone to call my wife. It’s past 11 there, if she didn’t pick up then she must be sleeping.

“Kris..” She sounded so weak with a hoarse voice. Is she crying?

“Jinah? Are you okay?” I was so worried.

“I miss you.” She said. My whole heart felt so warm yet hurt at the same time.

“I miss you too Jinah. Please don’t cry. I’ll be back soon.” I tried to calm her down. “Do you want me to change the flight?”

“No, You should meet Mom first before you come back.” Then she stopped for a moment. “I’m just still trying to get used to your absence. It feels so empty here in my room without you.”

“Jinah,” I was choked. “How was daddy’s girl doing today?”

I heard she took a deep breath. “Baby is fine daddy, and she said that she misses Daddy too. She wants Daddy to kiss her before she sleeps and sing her a song.” She laughed.

“Is that my baby girl’s request or my big baby’s?” I tried to .

Jinah let out a chucked. “Actually, it’s Mom’s request. Is that fine Daddy?”

I laid down on my back in my king sized bad. “Listen, and try to sleep okay?”

I started to sing a song for my wife. It’s our favorite song recently ‘sing for you’ by the most famous boy band in Korea, EXO. Well, I know that my voice was not the best but at least it was what she wanted right?

The song was finished. I kissed my phone, hoping that she could hear and feel it too. “Sleep tight my babies. I love you so much.”