Chapter 6 - Stars were twinkling extra bright.

By your side - CANDY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Seulgi watched the burly moving men hustle about her mother’s house carrying furniture and boxes all precisely labeled and tagged with the proper destination.

 

The men seemed organized and on task, another testament to Irene’s supreme direction of the project.

 

Seulgi leaned against the wall in the living room and watched as her family’s life literally passed by in front of her eyes.

 

Irene stood in front of the house directing traffic.

 

They hadn’t spoken since running into each other at the restaurant, other than a polite hello as Seulgi arrived on site that day.

 

In actuality, she’d wanted to stop by the house several times that week, but work had been insane, and by the time she was free, Irene had surely already gone home to Yuri.

 

However, when Irene called to inform her that the movers were coming and today would be her last day of work, Seulgi had taken the afternoon off to be on hand.

 

Everything seemed to be under control, and it was clear Irene had a much better handle on the situation than she did.

 

Seulgi walked slowly from one room to the next, overwhelmed by a profound sense of sadness.

 

While it was true her memories of her childhood home were fairly sterile, it was still the end of an era, and she couldn’t help but feel utterly alone in that moment.

 

She stood in what used to be her bedroom, a room she hadn’t so much as set foot in since she was maybe 17.

 

“It must be very hard,” said a voice from behind.

 

She turned to find Irene watching her from the doorway.

 

She brushed a stray tear from her cheek and exhaled slowly. “We have to quit meeting like this. You know, you dancing, me in the midst of my emotional breakdowns. You’re never going to believe this, but I am not a crier.”

 

Irene raised a shoulder and let it drop. “Don’t be strong on my account. I think crying is healthy, especially in a situation like this one.”

 

Seulgi pondered the concept.

 

There weren’t very many people throughout her life who would have agreed with that sentiment.

 

Crying showed weakness ; at least that’s what she’d always been taught.

 

Now that she thought about it, she’d never seen Wendy cry in all the years they’d known each other, and she was the closest person to her in the world.

 

The thought made her sad and she now regretted the lack of emotion they’d shown each other.

 

She moved silently across the room and sat on the floor, her back against the wall of what was once her sanctuary.

 

It didn’t take long for Irene to join her, taking her hand.

 

The simple gesture made such a difference, and just Irene’s presence there next to her provided a real sense of comfort.

 

They sat for several minutes before she turned to Irene. “Movers gone?”

 

“Yep. The last truck drove away 20 minutes ago. I’d offer to get you something to drink, but—”

 

“They took the refrigerator and all of the glasses,” Seulgi finished wryly.

 

“Bingo.”

 

“That’s okay. I think I’m just going to sit here for a few minutes.”

 

“Tell you what. I’ll give you some time alone.” As Irene started to get up, Seulgi squeezed her hand.

 

“Stay. Please? I mean, if that’s—”

 

“Of course I will,” Irene answered softly, settling back in next to her.

 

Seulgi held fast to Irene’s hand and now cradled it in her lap.

“You’re close with your family, right?”

 

“Very. I see my parents nearly every day, and we do big family dinners every Sunday with my brothers. I have 2, and the older one has a wife and son. I also have a rather large extended family, and while they’re a loving group, everyone is a little too involved in everyone else’s life. I guess meddlesome is the word I’d use.”

 

Seulgi smiled at the thought. “They sound fun. I would have liked to have had a family like that I think.”

 

Irene ran her thumb across the top of Seulgi’s hand, surprised. “Really?”

 

 

Seulgi lifted her eyes slowly to Irene’s and nodded.

 

The wistful sadness Irene saw there was simply too much.

 

She reached out and wrapped her arms around Seulgi and held her, resting the bottom of her chin on Seulgi’s shoulder. “Maybe you will one day.”

 

“Thanks, but I don’t think so.”

 

“Have you read any more of the journals?”

 

“Some. It’s enlightening and frustrating all wrapped in one. It’s like being introduced to a whole new person who never really wanted me to know them. It turns out, unbeknownst to me, that my mother had no problem with the fact that I’m gay.” Seulgi shook her head, still in awe of this reality.

 

“All these years, I thought it was the biggest disappointment of her life. Oh, and she knew all along that Wendy wasn’t right for me.” Seulgi laughed sardonically. “I wish she would have clued me in to that fact.”

 

“Wendy’s the ex you told me about?”

 

“That would be her. She was with me at the restaurant the other night. I told you, we’re still close.”

 

Not a date, Irene thought, filing that information away for later.

 

“By the way, you looked beautiful the other night, Irene.” Seulgi turned her head against the wall so she was facing her.

 

It occurred to Irene that their faces were merely inches apart.

 

She stared into Seulgi’s eyes, nearly falling into them.

 

Her gaze dropped then and she studied Seulgi’s lips, thin and slightly pink, and a little pouty.

 

She decided then and there that she really liked .

 

She wondered what it might taste like, which was ridiculous and out of bounds.

 

“Who’s the lucky guy?”

 

“Hmm?” She raised her gaze, forcing herself to focus.

 

She was vaguely aware that she should probably change her expression from blatant lust to something closer to easy going employee.

 

“The dashing gentleman you were having dinner with. Boyfriend?”

 

“Oh, Minho. No. I mean yes. It was a date. It was our, um, 2nd date. Not exactly a boyfriend though.”

 

Concentrate.

 

“I think I’ve seen him before. Is he an architect?”

 

“Yeah, he works for Anders Design. He said your company had done work with his.”

 

“That’s where I’ve seen him. So you like this Minho?”

 

“I do. He’s sweet.”

 

“So it’s Irene and Minho sitting in a tree, huh?”

 

Irene raised a playful eyebrow. “I know when I’m being mocked.”

 

 

“I would never.”

 

“You would and you are.”

 

Seulgi grinned. “I like that I can be playful with you. Is it strange that I feel like I’ve known you longer than I have?”

 

“I know what you mean.”

 

“Hey.” Seulgi pushed herself up off of the floor and offered Irene a hand. “Don’t you have something to give me?”

 

Irene stood, her face flushed as all sorts of thoughts chased each other around her head.

 

Stop that. “What do you mean?”

 

“Well, this is your last day. I was thinking a bill, perhaps?”

 

Irene brightened and smacked herself in the forehead. “Of course. Follow me.”

 

As they walked from Seulgi’s 2nd floor bedroom down to the kitchen, Irene was a little nervous to present Seulgi with the amount she owed.

 

It had been a large job that entailed lots of coordination and work from external companies.

 

She’d made sure to itemize each and every dollar so Seulgi could see clearly where each charge came from.

 

As Seulgi opened the envelope, her eyebrows rose noticeably, but she didn’t say anything, making Irene all the more uncomfortable.

 

 

“Um, Irene. This is a little crazy.”

 

Irene leaned in and looked over Seulgi’s side shoulder at the itemization. “Is there a problem or a mistake on the detail list?”

 

“No, it’s not that.” Seulgi turned to face her. “This number is way too low. I should be paying you at least 3 times what this statement says.”

 

Irene shook her head. “No, this is a fair assessment of our expenses and labor costs.”

 

“Well, it’s ridiculous and I’m not paying it. I’ll pay what it was worth, and that’s the end of it.” Seulgi pulled out her check book and filled in 3 times the amount of the invoice, tore the check out, and handed it to her.

 

“I can’t accept this.”

 

Seulgi adopted what Irene was coming to identify as her executive voice. “Yes, you will accept it and hopefully take another look at your prices. You’re undercharging. By a lot, Irene. When was the last time your company raised their rates?”

 

Irene thought for a moment. “About 2 years ago. I’ve been trying to convince my mother that we’re capable of charging more, but she wouldn’t hear of it. She likes coming in on the lower end. She says we get more business and referrals that way.”

 

“She’s right about the more business part, but you’ll take on twice the work for half the pay. Please tell me you’ll talk to her again.”

 

Irene smiled at Seulgi, grateful she saw the value in the work she’d done. “I’ll do my best, but I’m afraid you haven’t met Bae Shin Young. All the same, thank you for this. It’s very generous.” She nodded at the check in her hand and put it in her back pocket.

 

“It was worth every penny. I’m serious. I’m in awe of how quickly and efficiently you got this done.”

 

Irene blushed, grabbing her bag and walking to the door. “Now I’m the one who’s embarrassed.”

 

“Don’t be.” Seulgi followed slowly behind her.

 

As they reached the entry way, she looked at Seulgi and realized this was good bye.

 

Without the house as their commonality, they would have no reason to see each other.

 

“I’m glad I met you, Irene. You were a friend to me when I needed it.”

 

Irene nodded. “Well, if we’re being sentimental, you did something for me too, you know. It’s been a while since someone’s given me that extra push to get out there and make something happen for myself.”

 

Seulgi beamed upon hearing the information, the kind of smile that Irene couldn’t take her eyes from. “Speaking of which, I can’t believe I almost forgot.”

 

Seulgi moved quickly to her attaché case and handed Irene her business card. “I was serious about that press release. Let me know when you’re ready.”

 

“I’d be a fool not to take you up on it.”

 

They shared a smile. “I hope everything works out for you, Irene.”

 

“For you too.”

 

 

Seulgi exhaled, wordlessly opening her arms for an embrace that Irene moved easily into.

 

And there it was, that powerful hum of electricity.

 

They stood there a moment, and Irene enjoyed the feeling of having Seulgi’s arms around her.

 

She was suddenly very aware of Seulgi’s body up against hers, and her heart rate quickened.

 

And as she stepped back, she felt the loss.

 

Unsure what motivated her but knowing there was no other choice, Irene acted on impulse.

 

She slowly placed her hands on either side of Seulgi’s face and brushed her lips with her own ever so briefly with a feather light kiss.

 

She pulled back slowly, just enough so she could see Seulgi’s eyes, gauge her reaction, her thoughts.

 

Seulgi stared back at her blankly and the moment shifted.

 

She took Irene’s shoulders, pulled her in, and seized in sizzling answer.

 

Suddenly, what Irene’d imagined alone in her room several nights ago plunged into her reality.

 

The taste of Seulgi, the feel of her as she pressed Irene against the door in an ever deepening kiss was shockingly potent and very real.

 

In the quiet of the late afternoon, Irene felt heat rising in her blood.

 

 

She didn’t push Seulgi away, she didn’t stop what was already in motion, and it was all she could do to hold on.

 

Then thinking stopped being an option.

 

She moved her hands from Seulgi’s face, into her hair and gripped softly.

 

The action seemed to jolt Seulgi.

 

She straightened and took a step back.

 

Her shocked eyes never left Irene’s.

 

They stared at each other, Irene doing her best to catch her breath.

 

Silence reigned.

 

“I shouldn’t have…I think I thought when you…wow. I’m so sorry.”

Seulgi fumbled for her keys in her pocket and reached for the door behind Irene. “I’m gonna go. Really sorry,” she said one last time.

 

Irene stood in the entry way and listened to the beep of Seulgi’s car unlock and the subsequent start of her engine.

 

What had just happened?

 

She slid to the floor and moved her hand to her forehead in mystification.

 

She’d just been kissed into next week, that’s what had just happened.

 

Who knew a kiss could feel like that?

 

She was still lost in it.

 

She nodded slowly as the puzzle pieces drifted together in her mind.

 

This was what being swept away meant.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter