Chapter 12 - A big deal

By your side - CANDY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Irene was consistently amazed at the number of people her parents were able to cram into their backyard and feed. Friends, neighbors, and relatives milled around the large outdoor area, snacking at picnic tables or competing in games of badminton or touch football.

 

Platters of bulgogi , dak galbi, and samgyeopsal abounded and a large cooler of beer sat proudly on the patio, all in celebration of her older brother’s 30th birthday.

 

Her mother slid her hands onto Irene’s shoulders and kissed her cheek roughly. “Why are you bustling around like a crazy person? Go get yourself a beer from the cooler and enjoy your brother’s party. Everything here is good to go.”

 

Irene obediently set down the extra plates she’d brought outside, just in case, and covered her mother’s hands with her own. “If you say so, boss lady.”

 

“At least you know I’m in charge. You can help me clean up later, I promise, but in the meantime, mingle please. Entertain these people for me, and I may have a surprise for you later.” Irene raised a curious eyebrow, but her mother drifted away, turning an invisible key in front of her lips to emphasize the secrecy of her statement.

 

Cryptic.

 

Irene walked through streamers and colorful balloons to survey the fun. In the corner, her father held court as he grilled marinated bulgogi, sporting his 'Kiss the Cook' apron and tall, billowing chef’s hat. Yuri stood alongside him chatting animatedly, always his trusty sidekick.

 

Irene had looked forward to the party for the entire week prior. But now that the day was here, the excitement she felt about Seulgi meeting her family had more than tripled and moved steadily into the nervous category. Things could go wrong, she admitted to herself, and this was, after all, a big deal. Even if her parents wouldn’t be aware of just how big a deal when they met her.

 

“There’s my baby bunny,” Jaejoong called out as she approached. He pulled her into a loose headlock and ruffled the top of her hair just as he’d done since they were kids.

 

She wrestled herself free and punched him hard in the arm. “No abuse today, birthday boy. Try to act your age oppa.” She smoothed her hair back into place.

 

Her sister in law, Sunghee , grinned and rolled her eyes. “Tall order.” She held their son, Junsu, in her arms, and Irene couldn’t resist scooping the little boy up and peppering his tiny baby cheeks with several hundred kisses.

 

“My nephew is the handsomest baby boy in baby land. Little girl babies across California better watch out for this one.”

 

“You don’t have to tell me.” Sunghee shook her head. “He already flirts with women mercilessly like his appa.” She smacked Jaejoong playfully in the stomach for good measure.

 

He doubled over. “Man, I’m getting beat today.”

 

Irene laughed and checked her watch and then the door for the 400th time that afternoon, bracing against the parade of butterflies in her stomach before moving on to say hello to the next door neighbors. It was approximately 7 and a half minutes later when she heard the distant chime of the doorbell and excused herself quickly into the house.

 

Damn it, she was too late. Her younger brother, Baeky, had already answered the door and stood staring wordlessly at Seulgi. In fairness, Irene couldn’t blame him.

 

Seulgi wore off white skinny jeans and a floral print peach button up shirt long sleeve shirt that Irene could have easily predicted brought out the vibrant gems in her eyes. As she entered the room, Seulgi turned and smiled (was that shyly?) in her direction.

 

Irene beamed back. “You found us.”

 

“I did. Your directions were perfect. I only got lost 3 times, which is good for me.”

 

Irene turned to Baeky who was still blatantly staring at Seulgi. She resisted the urge to pop him in the back of his head. “Baeky, meet my friend Kang Seulgi. Seulgi, this is my pesky little dongsaeng, Baeky.”

 

“Baekhyun,” he amended, extending his hand. His voice was suspiciously an octave lower than she was used to.

 

She turned to him curiously and elbowed him in the ribs. “Stop it. Come on, Seulgi. Let’s go outside and I can introduce you around.”

 

“Maybe we can talk later, Seulgi,” Baeky called after them.

 

She smiled. “Definitely.”

 

Irene turned around and shot him one last 'what’s gotten into you' glare before pulling Seulgi into the yard. Once on the vacant patio, they had a brief moment alone, several yards from the nearest guests.

Someone had put on a CD, and music now blared throughout the yard louder than Irene would have liked. She planned to fix that problem shortly. In the meantime, her interests were elsewhere. “I’m glad you’re here.”

 

“Me too.” Seulgi was smiling.

 

“Sorry about my stupid dongsaeng.”

 

“Don’t be. He seems sweet. He also looks a lot like you, and that’s a big plus.

 

You’re a sight for sore eyes, by the way. It’s been a long week.” Irene couldn’t agree more and resisted the urge to touch Seulgi’s cheek. God, how she wanted to. “Maybe we could steal some time after this.”

 

“That would —”

 

“Bae Joohyun, who is this nice person you have with you? Introduce your mother.”

 

Irene turned and found her mother standing 5 feet behind her, hands on her hips. She took a noticeable step away from Seulgi, who seemed to register the move behind her eyes. Irene felt the guilt right away. “Mama, this is the friend I told you about, Kang Seulgi. She was also a recent client of ours. That’s where we met.”

 

Seulgi stepped forward, instantly on. “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs. Bae. Irene speaks very highly of you, and I have nothing but rave reviews from the services Immaculate Home provided me.” Irene smiled sweetly. If only her mother knew the extent of that statement.

 

“Kang Seulgi! Of course.” Not missing a beat, she pulled Seulgi into a full on embrace, probably gripping her tighter than Seulgi had ever been gripped.

 

“Joohyun’s told me all about what a wonderful experience she had working for you. I was so happy to hear that you two have grown to be good friends. And you know, Joohyun’s phone has been ringing off the hook after that press release you sent out. She’ll have to tell you all about it. We’re so pleased you came to the party. Have you met Jaejoong yet? He’s the birthday boy, you know, right over there.

Oh, and, Joohyun, introduce her to your cousin, Jinhwan, next. He’s single, Seulgi, and very, very handsome.”

 

Irene suppressed an eye roll and instead smiled obediently. “Will do, Mama.”

 

“Seulgi, can I get you a drink?”

 

“Sure, um, maybe a glass of white wine?”

 

Her mother frowned and turned to Irene. “Do we still have that bottle your Aunt Doo Na gave us?”

 

“How about a beer, Sseul?” Irene knew full well the bottle in question was covered in dust and well past its ten dollar prime.

 

“Yes! Of course. I would love a beer. Any kind you have.”

 

Her mother smiled gregariously once again. “Miller Lite?”

 

“Perfect.”

 

“Coming right up!”

 

As her mother scurried happily to the cooler, Seulgi closed her eyes and sighed. “Sorry. Strike one.”

 

“We’re just more of a chips and beer kind of a family is all.”

 

Seulgi lifted one shoulder. “I love chips and beer.”

 

“Sure you do. Come on, I’ll introduce you to all the key players. Try to look somewhat attractive, okay?”

 

Seulgi couldn’t help a short burst of laughter as Irene tugged her into the yard. She met several of Irene’s aunts, uncles, and cousins, who were all very friendly and maybe even a little tipsy. Next, she met Jaejoong and Sunghee and their baby. Jaejoong looked like a bulkier, he man version of Baekhyun with a modern caesar haircut . It was fascinating to meet so many people who resembled Irene and Yuri.

 

As if on cue, Yuri appeared out of nowhere and threw her arms around Seulgi’s waist. She looked down at her affectionately. “Hiya, kiddo. How’s your life?”

 

“Great. How’s your life?”

 

“Can’t complain. Ready for school?”

 

“I can’t wait. Only 2 more days. We did all of our shopping this week. Sooyoung and I are in the same class this year.”

 

“Well, that’s a plus. And Brant?”

 

Immediately blushing, Yuri tugged on Seulgi’s arm, prompting her to lean down so she could whisper in her ear. “He asked me to go to Sea World with his family. I haven’t asked Mama yet. I wanted to get your advice. I’ll tell you about it later.”

 

“Deal,” she whispered and nodded, taking the situation as seriously as Yuri seemed to be. With that, Yuri scampered away to play freeze tag with her rather boisterous group of cousins.

 

Irene surveyed the action from a few feet away. “Why do you get all the juicy information?”

 

“Because you’re the mom and are thereby deemed ineligible.” Irene frowned and Seulgi laughed. “Cheer up, Hyun. I’ll tell you everything she said if you want me to.”

 

Irene was thoughtful. “No. As long as it’s not life threatening or morally threatening, I can handle not knowing every little detail of her life the second it comes off the presses. I want her to know that she can trust you.”

 

“Well, it’s neither of those two things, rest assured. Now, when do I get to meet your dad?”

 

And here we go. “How about now? Come on. He’s on grill duty, his favorite pastime in all of life. He’s going to love you, by the way.” Irene knew this was a big introduction. Her father was the most important man in her life, and she needed for him to see how wonderful Seulgi was.

 

There was a spring in her step that took a shuddering leave of absence the moment she took in the scene ahead. Tiffany and Chi Yeol stood next to the grill laughing. Alongside them, complete with her smiling father’s arm on his shoulder, stood Minho. Irene froze, and her mind scrambled to piece together the probable series of events.

 

“Surprise,” her mother whispered in her ear from behind. Irene’s fears were confirmed. Unable to form a complete sentence, she felt herself ushered by her mother over to the group, Seulgi lagging somewhere behind.

 

“Hey there, beautiful,” Minho leaned in and kissed her cheek.

 

She was still in somewhat of a state of shock and answered evenly. “Hi.”

 

“I hope you don’t mind me popping in on you. Your father invited me when I stopped by the job site earlier this week.”

 

“I told him to!” Her mother grinned like the cat that swallowed the canary. “I knew you’d be thrilled to see Minho, and this gives him a chance to meet the rest of the family.”

 

Minho wrapped his arm around her mother’s shoulders. “Well, then it’s you I have to thank, Mrs. Bae.”

 

“Call me, Shin Young,” her mother answered dreamily.

 

Irene couldn’t believe this was happening, but was determined to keep a cool head. “You’re always welcome, Minho. It’s nice to see you.”

 

She looked to Tiffany, whose eyes widened as if to say 'I had no Godforsaken idea this was going to happen. Please don’t kill me.' She offered a tiny helpless shrug to punctuate.Deciding to stay the course, Irene pressed forward.

 

“Papa, I wanted to introduce you to someone. This is my friend, Kang Seulgi. Seulgi’s the CEO of her own company and went to Stanford.” A few bonus points couldn’t hurt, right?

 

Bae Soobin turned to Seulgi and extended his hand warmly. “Are you the artist Yuri was telling me about?”

 

Seulgi smiled and took his hand. “I suppose so, though I don’t actually paint anymore.”

 

“My granddaughter thinks the world of you. Welcome to our home.” He patted her hand and bowed his head. But his attention shifted back to Minho and Chi Yeol, the men clearly taking precedent with him in this moment. “So, Minho, do you have any other big projects lined up?”

 

“Several actually. It’s hard to juggle them all, but if I want to make partner someday, I have to burn the midnight oil.”

 

“The corporate world can be cutthroat, that’s for sure,” Seulgi interjected.

 

“I do okay.” Minho turned to her.

 

“I’m sure you do.”

 

Minho eyed Seulgi and Seulgi eyed Minho until finally Irene couldn’t take it anymore.

 

Clearly picking up on the tension, Tiffany swooped in and saved the day. “Seulgi, we haven’t met yet. I’m Tiffany, Irene’s best friend and, might I add, closest confidant,” she said, emphasizing the words. “She tells me everything. I’m thrilled to finally meet you.”

 

Seulgi beamed. “Thank you. I’ve been anxious to meet you too. Irene tells me that you two have quite a history.”

 

“You can’t even imagine.”

 

“Joohyun,” her mother interrupted. “Why don’t you introduce Minho to your brothers, and maybe later he can meet Yuri.”

 

She shot her a not so subtle wink, which Irene refused to return. Irene looked apologetically at Seulgi, who stared back at her blankly. Feeling caught and unsure how to proceed, she begrudgingly gave in to the pressure.

 

“Sure. Follow me, Minho.” She walked Minho across the yard, and when they were out of earshot, tugged on his sleeve bringing them to a halt. Yes, they were in the middle of the yard, and yes, people were watching them, Seulgi included, but she had to figure out this situation and quick. “Minho, I just need to be clear. I’m seeing someone else. I thought you understood that.”

 

“I do and I respect it entirely, but it doesn’t mean I’ve completely given up on you forever. We’re still friends, right?”

 

Irene softened. “Yes, but that’s all it can be. I just want to be sure we’re on the same page.”

 

“We are, beautiful.”

 

She closed her eyes momentarily in frustration. “See, right there, that’s what I’m talking about.”

 

“The fact that I called you beautiful?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I’m sorry. If it makes you uncomfortable, it will never happen again.”

 

“I appreciate that.”

 

“Unless you want it to.”

 

“Minho.”

 

Over the next 10 minutes, she introduced him to all the same people she’d introduced Seulgi to. There seemed to be a markedly different reaction to Minho. At the mention of his name, her friends and loved ones lit up, a sign that they’d been prepped by her mother well in advance about who he was and his potential place in Irene’s life.

 

In response, he was universally given the careful attention she’d hoped they’d show Seulgi. It was disheartening and entirely counterproductive to what she’d hoped to accomplish that day.

 

Leaving Minho to continue his in depth discussion on drafting techniques with Jaejoong, Irene located Seulgi across the yard, who much to her horror was standing with her mother and cousin Jinhwan, the creepy funeral director. Realizing that her mother was already in matchmaker mode and a rescue mission was now necessary, she wasted no time.

 

Sliding up next to Seulgi, she briefly squeezed her hand. She needed to explain things, and now was as good a time as any. “Can I borrow you for a sec?”

 

Seul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter