Chapter 5 - Extreme attraction

By your side - CANDY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The following Monday morning offered up one of the more beautiful days only Southern California can.

 

It was an even 73 degrees without a single cloud marring the crystal blue sky.

 

Irene blasted the radio, set to Yuri’s favorite station, as she made her way to drop Yuri at day camp.

 

They sang along, enjoying the morning together.

 

They’d spent an extra 10 minutes getting the French braid in Yuri’s hair just right so she’d look as cool as Im Yoona, her new friend and idol at camp.

 

But at last they’d done it, and Yuri was now in high spirits.

 

“So will you be spending the day at the mansion again?” Yuri asked dramatically over the music.

 

“Yep, still a lot to do over there, but if I work hard this week, I just might be able to finish up the packing so the movers can come and transport the boxes. And then, my little girl, you and I can spend next week relaxing and doing anything we want.”

 

Yuri’s eyebrows rose in imaginative anticipation. “Within reason,” she amended.

 

“Sounds fun to me. Maybe we can go swimming and I can show you what Miss Taeyeon taught me. I can do the backstroke,” she declared, her eyes wide. “It’s amazing.”

 

“Wow, you are really coming along with those swimming lessons. I’m raising a little sam-chi.”

 

 

Yuri laughed. “A what?”

 

“It means mackerel pike in Hangul. It’s a type of fish.”

 

“That’s me all right!” Yuri was clearly proud of herself. “A fish!”

 

“Are you remembering to pay attention to how tired you feel?”

 

Yuri sighed. “Yes, ma’am. Miss Taeyeon asks me how I’m doing about a million times a lesson.”

 

“She’s just making sure you’re okay. Your health is important.”

 

“I know, I know. I just don’t want to talk about it all the time. The other kids are going to think I’m weird or something.”

 

“You? Weird?” Irene asked with mock enthusiasm. “No!”

 

“Mama!”

 

As their laughter died down, they drove in silence a little ways, Irene humming to the radio.

 

“So I heard something about you yesterday,” Yuri said.

 

Irene looked at her suspiciously, wondering what the sly look was all about. “And what’s that?”

 

“That you’re going on a date tomorrow night. A 2nd date with the same man.”

 

“You heard this from your no good halmeoni who can’t keep a secret from a pesky little girl?”

 

“That’s the one.” Yuri seemed to enjoy the turn the teasing had taken.

 

“So do you loooove him?” She made kissing sounds. “Will there be a wedding?”

 

Irene rolled her eyes. “No. But he is a nice man, and I’d like to get to know him better. His name is Minho.”

 

Joking aside, Irene could’ve strangled her mother for passing on this information to Yuri.

 

Sure, she was eager for Irene to find a man and settle down, but it was way too early to involve Yuri.

 

Her mother should know better.

 

“Well, don’t put all your eggs in one basket,” Yuri said seriously.

 

“Where on earth have we picked up this new phrase?” Irene wasn’t exactly surprised.

 

Yuri often picked up mannerisms and vocabulary that she’d clearly pilfered from someone she looked up to.

 

“Miss Taeyeon.”

 

“Miss Taeyeon, of course. Well, I’ll try not to put all my eggs in one basket if you try to behave yourself today and be the nicest camper this place’s ever seen.”

 

Irene put the car in park and leaned into the kiss Yuri placed on her cheek. “And don’t forget to take it easy. If you feel tired or over run, be sure to tell Miss Taeyeon right away and sit down. Remember what Dr. Robles said.”

 

“I will. I promise. Bye, Mama!”

 

Irene waited until a camp counselor retrieved Yuri before pulling away from the curb and heading to the house on Banning Street.

 

She spent most of the day in the main living room and 2 guest rooms, cataloguing everything as she went.

 

She’d taken a brief lunch break, eating the sandwich she’d brought with her, before plowing ahead, intent on finishing this project in a timely manner if it killed her.

 

With head phones in her ears as she worked, she about jumped out of her skin when she turned around and saw Seulgi leaning casually in the doorway of the guest room she was working in, her hip kicked out, her shoulder holding her in place.

 

With a hand to her racing heart, Irene stood slowly, pulling the head phones from her ears. “I didn’t see you there.”

 

“Clearly.” A small smile graced Seulgi’s lips. “It’s after 5 and you’ve, again, done an enormous amount of work.”

 

Seulgi produced 2 very enticing open bottles of Dos Equis.

 

She dangled the sweaty, sure to be refreshing bottles in front of Irene and then teasingly backed away, her retreating form enough to garner a laugh from Irene who only waited a beat before washing her hands and following.

 

She found Seulgi on the deck, this time positioned on a cushioned chaise lounge, her long, slightly tanned legs laid out in front of her.

 

She wore athletic attire today, and the shorts she’d selected certainly complimented her toned physique.

 

Irene scooped up the beer Seulgi left on the small table for her and took up residence in the chair next to Seulgi’s. “So how was your long day at the office?”

 

Seulgi sighed. “Murder. But there’s hope on the horizon in the form of some big rollouts that could mean more business in the long run. We need to start interviewing new PR firms to handle our streaming video product launch.”

 

“We?”

 

“I guess that would be Wendy and me, and the other account executives to a lesser extent. Wendy is my VP and has been with me since the company’s inception. We also have kind of a history.” She squinted her eyes sheepishly.

 

“You grew up together?” Irene immediately thought of the deep history she had with Tiffany.

 

“Not exactly. She’s my ex. We lived together for 2 years.”

 

“Oh.” Irene let the comment land.

 

She knew Seulgi was gay ; she’d said as much the night before, but the idea of Seulgi with another woman was still surprising to her…and intriguing at the same time.

 

She’d never had a lesbian friend.

 

This was new territory.

 

“It’s nice that you’re able to still have a working relationship,” Irene offered politely.

 

She took a drink of her beer.

 

“That’s kind of the point. We’re both workaholics, and eventually, I realized I was dating myself. Our relationship became one of convenience, and we rarely did anything but talk about the office. I did learn a valuable lesson, however. I at relationships and should avoid them at all costs. Over time, we both came to the understanding that we’d make better friends anyway. Since then, our relationship has only grown stronger. It was the right move.”

 

“Wow,” Irene replied. “That’s a very mature way of handling it. When my friends break up, you can generally expect a lot of shouting and crying, sometimes in the street.”

 

“Trust me, it’s not. The lesbian community is nothing if not dramatic. Ours was an ideal breakup, though. We just kind of shifted into new roles and it worked.”

 

Seulgi stared at the label on her beer, wondering why she was again divulging so many intimate details of her life.

 

She’d wanted to see Irene for a purpose, and another conversation full of personal confessions had not been on the books.

 

Seulgi delicately changed the subject. “So I was thinking a little more about what you were telling me, about your business aspirations.”

 

“Okay,” Irene answered tentatively.

 

“And I don’t know if this is over stepping my bounds, but I might be able to help.”

 

“How do you mean?”

 

“Well, I was thinking about what you told me about Immaculate Home. You want to grow the company and you mentioned several new ideas. Can you offer me an example?”

 

“Um, sure.” Irene didn’t miss a beat.

 

 

“We’ve been cleaning homes in the San Diego area for more than 20 years. Not long ago, we began receiving calls, similar to this one, for home organization, either for a move or a death in the family. What I’d like to see happen, is for us to go one better and open up a separate branch of the company for home management, reorganization, custom closets, custom storage space, the works. We could hire a designer and subcontract with several of the construction companies in the area. The way I see it, we can start transforming space within our existing clients’ homes so their lives are less cluttered, more manageable. Once they’re sold, word of mouth should bring in more business. There’s a real market in our area for this. Our clients would eat it up. I know they would.”

 

Seulgi had to admit, she was impressed with the pitch, or at least the manner in which it was articulated.

 

Irene spoke with such passion, such spark, that she believed whole heartedly that she’d find a way to succeed with the new venture.

 

“That’s where I come in. Let me send a press release or 2 over the wire once you’re ready to offer the new services. All it takes is one feature editor to pick up the story of the little company that could, and you’ll have more business than you know what to do with.”

 

“Oh, well, I’d have to take a look at our budget. It’s possible, but it would depend on what the upstart would—”

 

“No charge. I’m willing to donate our services temporarily. If it works out and you decide you’d like to continue, which I feel strongly you will, we can set up a formal account and you can become a full fledged client.”

 

Irene’s eyebrows rose and she seemed to let the full weight of Seulgi’s offer settle in before finally speaking. “That’s one of the nicest things anyone’s ever offered to do for me, but I’m sorry, I can’t accept. It’s too generous.”

 

“First of all, it is not. This wouldn’t be the first or the last time we’ve comped a release. You’ve put a lot of work into this company and obtaining your degree, all the while raising a child on your own. I’m just saying it’s impressive, and I’d like to help.”

 

Irene met her eyes. “I appreciate the offer, but I’ll need to take some time and think it over.”

 

Seulgi was confused.

 

She thought surely Irene would jump at the opportunity of some free exposure, knowing full well she would have had their roles been reversed.

 

Hell, she’d taken every chance she could to get ahead and didn’t for a minute understand Irene’s hesitation.

 

But she had to respect her wishes.

 

She turned to face her fully, covering the top of Irene’s hand with her own. “Just promise me you really will put some thought into it, and I’ll leave you alone.”

 

She wasn’t sure why she felt the need to push the issue, but she did.

 

“You’re talented, Irene. Just seeing the way you’ve organized and cataloged and implemented systems getting this place turned around in record time. That’s ingenuity, and it goes a long way. The way you work is indicative of a very clever mind, and if sticking with this business and expanding it is what you want, well, I guess I just want to see you go after it.”

 

Irene stared at the hand a top hers and then raised her eyes to meet the intense brown-bluish ones staring back at her, and she was quite simply, touched.

 

Seulgi, a highly successful career woman, saw value in her.

 

That meant something, didn’t it?

 

Hearing that someone credible believed in her might just be the motivation she needed.

 

She leaned her head against the pillow of the chaise, unable to hide her small smile. “Thank you for saying that,” she told Seulgi softly, holding her gaze. “I promise to give it true thought.”

 

“That’s all I’m asking.” Seulgi squeezed her hand softly.

 

They sipped their beers and watched the sun set, not saying a whole lot.

 

Occasionally, Irene stole a glance at Seulgi, careful to turn away before she was caught.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter