Record 08

Mavericks
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Record #08

 

Shin was the main reason why Taehyung was so protective over me. He had lost a friend. He lost a person under his care and felt guilty about it. He felt responsible, even if it wasn't entirely his fault. Even when all his friends had told him otherwise, Taehyung still felt the same.

According to Anri’s description, Shin was the same age as Taehyung, months older, but the first treated him as his teacher. Shin was a really obedient person and good listener. He had a great concept of V. Since he entered, Shin often asked Taehyung about whatever doubts he had and the latter always helped him no matter what. Shin was so thankful to him. He saw bravery and trustworthiness in Taehyung, something that couldn't be found easily in anyone.  Losing the life of a good friend three years ago was something that haunted Taehyung till this day.

 

Neither Anri nor Jungkook where there when it all happened. Although Anri was able to tell me a few details she collected together.

 

Taehyung was in a mission with Shin and two other supporters, soldiers from BHE. The soldiers are the ones who work as the name given, to guard our company building, and are physically and mentally prepared for a sudden attack or a disastrous event, sometimes they are even assigned to accompany the Hybrids in their given missions.

 

This group was assigned to eliminate the Chimeras and offspring’s that were haunting a small village of the East Senrate. They were hidden in the woods and came out when hungry, which was once a week. The “mother” ate only fishes, a huge amount of them, but at first had eaten meat, human meat. Her babies attacked more often than her and were killing most of the population of that remote village.

 

Not only BHE was searching for the Chimeras but other associations too. The task wasn't easy. Those beasts were smart and fast, they attacked and killed any threats. And they had already gotten rid of at least twenty of our people counting hybrids and soldiers in a period of three months. The mission was indeed difficult.

 

That was all what Anri could tell me. Any further details about Shin were only available through Taehyung. And she didn’t want to trigger those memories by asking more. Even telling me this short amount, I felt how it had hurt her too.

 

They were a group after all. And losing a friend wasn’t easy to deal with.

 

Taehyung had lost someone important. He had suffered and cried. Just like me. Just like his friends. All of us have seen despair and desperation before. Because we all know how twisted this world is, we could only wish things to be different.

 

I tried to imagine his pain. The regular beat my heart used to keep was replaced by an unbearable buzz and heavy feelings. It was easy to portrait because losing a close friend it's like losing your family. And I've lost both. He has lost both at some point of his life. And now I understood his reasons. The reason why he followed me around like gum. The reason why was he always asking if I felt sick or hurt. The reason why I wasn't informed about him being in charge of me or why he stood by my side when I wanted to be alone. He did all because he was afraid. He was scared of losing someone again. He didn't want to be in such a pain all over again. Taehyung still isn't strong enough to bare losing someone he treasures again. And he regretted not being able to save Shin. But, the sad truth, there wasn't anything he could have done about it.

 

After Anri told me the story, she said that if I wanted more details to go ask Taehyung himself. Yet she recommend me to be patient. It was still difficult for him to talk about that topic.

 

And I’ll do it when the time asks to do so. Right now, with the information I have, it's enough for me to understand his behavior and reasons. And I grew to realize an important thing, there're deep secrets behind someone's beautiful smile and glowing eyes. Taehyung, Anri and most probably Jungkook too, share that same statement. Only had time healed the scars. And they are doing their best to forget the pain. Even if it haunts them every day. But they've become stronger because they have friends who supports them and show sympathy.

 

Because they aren't alone.

 

I looked at Anri. She was still looking at the pictures and her eyes turned crystallized. I couldn't help myself but to embrace her. It had affected her too obviously. But Anri hide her pain away deep in her heart.

 

"I'm sorry," she said as she laughed bitterly. "I got carried away with my emotions."

 

I shook my head and rubbed her back tenderly. "Sometimes it's ok to let it go. You'll feel better after it."

 

Anri nodded, but didn't cry. She thanked me and felt asleep in my shoulders as I sang her softly. I placed her body down to my bed and covered her with my blankets. As I placed away the album filled with memories, I grew to understand why it was her favorite. Not only had it contained happy memories, but also painful ones. And those sad ones helps Anri to become stronger. She's able to fight back due to her sad passages of her life. She's constantly remained the reason why she's alive and fighting. Because she needs to protect the ones from the album. The people she loves the most.

 

My hands flipped the pages to the first one. I recognized Taehyung’s silly face and Anri’s surprised eyes as the picture was taken. Two other boys where in it with funny smiles. A hospital room? The description said: First photo as group. My lips turned up with the words.

 

Anri and I slept peacefully. I woke up first and made sure to not make any kind of harsh sound for her to rest well. But I relaxed a little after realizing that she wouldn't when I hit my toe hard with the table and almost cussed out loud about my careless self. Anri must have been exhausted.

 

I showered and changed my clothes. I chose the same style as always, my combat boots, black jeans, olive green loose shirt and a jacket. By now, I came to realized most people were wearing those colors. Dark or neutral colors.  Even when South citizens were allowed to use almost any color and style. They have no boundaries. It goes the same with North East, West and North West. The other four Senrates have rules to follow.

 

That morning I wasn't scheduled to do training. I ran to the cafeteria and grabbed two sandwiches and two bottles of water, and came back to my room.

 

And seeing Taehyung standing before my door made me reminisce of all the things I grew to know about him.

 

"I was about to knock on your door," he said as he rubbed his neck and I smiled softly. "I wanted to have breakfast together but you already went ahead," he added as he signaled my food. "By the way, do you actually eat that much?"

 

I shook my head and laughed. "It's for Anri and me."

 

"I see," he added, then turned towards me with a troubled look. "Did you let her sleep when she had a full schedule today?"

 

"I did," I said kind of afraid. "Is it wrong? She was exhausted and it hurt me seeing her like that," I sighed and Taehyung helped me by opening the door noticing a still sleeping Anri. "Even when she's like the head of this corporation, she's still human. You can't treat her like a robot."

 

I heard Taehyung laughing and then he messed with my hair. "You are a good friend."

 

Those words warmed my heart for some unknown reason. I looked at his eyes and realized he would have done the same thing. Now I knew I wasn't wrong with my choice of actions.

 

Taehyung told me to wait as he went to the cafeteria to bring his breakfast. He came back with a different flavor of sandwich and orange juice. We ate together quietly to not disturb her sleep.

 

"She's really exhausted," Taehyung said as he bit his sandwich. "Anri normally wakes up at the smallest sound or different smell in her environment."

 

"You sound like she's an animal," I joked.

 

"Well, we all are" he defended himself. "Kind of?" I laughed softly.

 

I started wondering about the first mission I'd be assigned as I glanced at Anri. She was in a fragile state. Her face looked younger and brakable when sleeping. Her lips were parted as she breathed in and out. Her hair was sprawled on the pillow and she hugged the covers to maintain the warmness. When looking at her sleeping figure, Anri's features turned funnier but vulnerable at the same time.

 

"We’ve been pressuring her a lot." I nodded at his words. "She has been always like this. Sacrificing herself for the rest and taking care of all us."

 

"She's truly a wonderful person, isn't she?" I smiled with kind.

 

I glanced back at Taehyung and noticing him checking his wrist watch as he ate the last bite. He sighed and stood up. I wondered if he was in a hurry, but after he told me he needed to wake Jungkook up I let him go. Though he came back some minutes later just because he was having difficulties and asked me for help.

 

As soon as I saw Jungkook I had to contain my laughter. His hair was a mess and his legs were hugging the bed sheets tightly. He was shirtless. And I must admit the boy had been hiding a really fit and muscular body behind all the lose shirts I have seen him wear.

 

"Seriously, Taehyung, have you even tried to approach him?" I asked as noticing him far from the younger.

 

"He just tried to kick me," he complained. "And last time I got kicked by this bastard my leg hurt for three whole days."

 

I sighed resting my hands on my waist. "And how does Anri manage to wake him up?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter