Morning shift

What are the odds?

Kyungsoo likes to think that he had a normal life. Wait, no ‘likes’ is the wrong word, he does live a normal life. He works the afternoon shift at a local coffee house, he attends a modest university, and he has a sufficient amount of friends. He likes his comfortable life style, even if his friends can be such a handful at times, but he still cherishes them, speaking of friends, one of his closest friends, Baekhyun, was currently calling him. Normally, he wouldn’t answer calls at six in the morning on Saturday’s. He still had time to sleep before he had to get up, but he answered anyways. He lazily searched for his phone on his nightstand. After the fourth ring, he was starting to get really irritated and forced himself to fully get up to look for the damn phone. After a few seconds he was able to find the damn contraption.

“What Baekhyun? It’s six in the morning for goodness sake!” he said irritated. He could tell it was Baekhyun calling because of the stupid ringtone the said friend had put on his phone.

“Hello to you too Kyungsoo and yes, I’m fine thank you for asking,” said Baekhyun sarcastically on the other line. Kyungsoo huffed in irritation. “I will hang up right now, if you don’t answer my question,” replied Kyungsoo. It was far too early to deal with Baekhyun shenanigans.

“Relax sheesh. You’re up for the morning shift,”

“What? What do you mean? I don’t start until one in the afternoon,” said Kyungsoo.

“Well it looks like you have the morning shift as well. Both Sehun and Lay had to go somewhere for the week, so get up and get over here,” said Baekhyun as Kyungsoo could hear him yawn. Kyungsoo contemplated whether or not he should get up. It was freezing outside and his apartment was really warm, but he wound up getting up after all because he didn’t want to lose his job. He quickly took a shower, put warm clothes on, and dashed out the door.

By the time he got to the shop it was already 6:35. He could see Baekhyun waiting outside with a huge jacket. “It took you long enough,” he said.

”You didn’t have to wait for me. Don’t you have the keys?” he asked. Knowing Baekhyun, he probably forgot them at home. “I didn’t bring them with me. By the time I got here I barley realized that I forgot them and I didn’t want to walk all the way back, so here I am waiting for you,” he said sheepishly. Of course leave it to Kyungsoo to be the responsible one. He pulled out the keys and unlocked the door. Kyungsoo was still sleepy, but he had to shake off the wariness. The perks of working at a coffee shop were that he could get anything he wanted for free.

“Do we even get customers this early?” asked Baekhyun as he the lights.

“Obviously, some people work really early in the morning, so yeah,” replied Kyungsoo as he flipped the sign by the door from closed to open. They were now in business. Kyungsoo didn’t work in the mornings, so he just went by his afternoon routine.

“Are we the only one’s coming in this early,” he asked Baekhyun.

“Nope, I called Kai. He should be here in a while,” answered Baekhyun as he the small radio on.

The cafe was instantly overcome with the sound of the radio host. Park Chanyeol, famous rapper/ singer- song writer has arrived at…

‘Ugh,’ Kyungsoo thought. He didn’t want to hear about this guy this early in the morning. It was bad enough that he had to constantly hear from him by his friends on his afternoon shifts, but at six in the morning, he couldn’t do it. He quickly switched the station.

“Hey!” said Baekhyun. “I was listening to that,” he said. Kyungsoo was the only one out of his whole groups of friends who didn’t much care for the so called Park Chanyeol. He didn’t much care for rap music. He much preferred classical, slower songs.

“You can stalk him another time, but right now we have to work.” said Kyungsoo.

“I don’t know why you dislike him so much? He’s no Chen, but I still like his music,” said Baekhyun as he tried to put the station back on, but he was too late, they were talking about other things.

“Rappers act like they have the world in the palm of their hands, they’re egotistic and Baek you are overly obsessed with Chen, are you sure you’re even going to meet him,” he said. He didn’t mean to say it with malice, but Kyungsoo much preferred to keep things at a realistic level. It was the best thing to do.

“You’re just grumpy because you have no taste in music,” Baekhyun said as he stuck his tongue out. Kyungsoo scoffed as he heard the door open and in walked Kai.

Kai took one look at Baekhyun before hs spoke. “Baekhyun sticking your tongue out if not professional,” he scolded.

“But Kai, he switched the station when they were talking about Chanyeol.  And he said that Chanyeol was egotistical!” said Baekhyun as he started to turn on the coffee machine. Kai looked at him with a raised eyebrow. “Well, in that case,” said Kai as he too stuck his tongue out at Kyungsoo. Great not only did he have to morning shift, but he had it with two of Chanyeol’s biggest idiot fans, great just great.