Chapter 9

The Stranger

They arrived at Incheon at night and Junho sent Soeun and Junwoo home. Soeun invited him to go inside her house to put her luggage because she was carrying the sleeping Junwoo but her simple invitation made Junho the happiest man on earth. He couldn’t hide his smile because he finally could enter the well-guarded ‘fortress’.

He stepped in and eyeing the small apartment that has the same size of his own bedroom. The interior was so simple, only have the necessity furniture and Junwoo’s toys arranged neatly at one side.

“What are you looking for? Nothing interesting you can find inside my apartment.” Soeun went beside Junho after she put Junwoo on the bed.

“Everything here is interesting.” Junho grabbed her hand and chastely kissed the back of her hand. Suddenly his phone ringing and he signal her that he needed to take the call.

“Hello?” he was questioning the owner of the unfamiliar number.

“Hello Mr Lee. I’m Hwang Minjae from HM group. Do you still remember me?”

“Of course Mr Hwang, how can I forget about you? So what can I help you sir?”

“I just want to tell you that my lawyer will meet you tomorrow to finalise the acquisition of the land in Jeju.”

“Wait, what??” Junho clearly shocked with what he heard.

“I thought you wanted to buy my land?” He asked.

“Well of course but why? I mean I didn’t manage to explain to you about our proposal so why suddenly you agree to sell your land?”

“I’m sure your proposal is the same with your father.”

“So what makes you agree with me but not my father?”

“Because I like you Mr Lee, I thought you were the same like other spoiled brat that depended on their father’s wealth but you’re different. Actually I was at my beach when I saw you with your family. You look genuinely happy and blissful. You surprise me more after you chose your son over the business-meeting.” He took a pause for a while.

He then continued. “I don’t really care how much money you offered to me because the beach hold a priceless memories of my late wife but something touched me when I met you. For you, love is much more valuable than money. I’m not sure whether you can be a good businessman someday but I’m sure you are a good man.”

“Don’t worry Mr Hwang, I have the best businessman as my mentor. My father will make sure that I will not inherit his company without a proper training and skills.” Junho made a few more conversation before thanked him for gazillion times.  

 Junho couldn’t hide his happiness and immediately ran towards Soeun and hugged her. He then lifted her and twirled around for few times until he completely out of breath.

“Yah, what happen?”

Junho ignored her question and continued to hug her while stabilised his breathing. “Thank you Soeun-ah, you have no idea how much you mean to me.”

“Can you please tell me what happen?” Soeun gently pushed his shoulder to see his face.

“We successfully get the land! We can say hello to the resort!” Junho excitedly told Soeun about the happy news.

Soeun smiled widely when she watched Junho’s happy face. Deep down her heart, she felt happy too. She didn’t know whether her happiness was caused by the good news or because of his smiling face. For her, Junho has the second most beautiful eye-smile she ever seen, of course the top place belongs to her son.

Gently she reached his hand and held it tightly. She looked straight into his smiling eyes. “I have something to tell you.”

Junho’s face automatically changed when he heard her serious tone. He can’t hide his fear and started to imagine the worst case scenario from her. “Don’t tell me you’re going to leave me?”

“Of course not.” Soeun chuckled a little. Then she pulled his hand and they walked together towards her couch. She sat on the couch and tugged his hand to force him to sit beside her. She stared at their intertwine hands and realised that his hand is so big compared to hers.

She then took a deep breath and will herself to look at Junho. “About Junwoo’s father…”

Junho tightened his hold on her hand as a supportive gesture for her to continue to tell her story.

Soeun told him about her life and how she met Junwoo’s father while Junho listen to all of it.

“And that’s it. I don’t even know his name.” Soeun ended her story with a long sigh.

“Do you love him?” He carefully asked.

“I don’t know. I’m not sure whether it was love or not because he didn’t give me a chance to evaluate my feelings. He just… disappeared.”

Junho released her hand and slide his arm around her shoulder. He brought her close to him and hugged her. He felt that Soeun responded to his touch and she also hugged him and leaned on him.

He planted a kiss on top of her head and gently caressing her back. “Let bygones be bygones. What happen in the past is not important anymore because we can’t do anything to change it. Our future is far more important for us. I love you and Juni and I want you guys in my future together with me.”

Soeun’s heart swelled with blissfulness when she heard Junho’s comforting words. It still felt surreal to meet someone who willing to accept her who has so many flaws. But, she couldn’t help to feel afraid that someday Junho is going to leave her too. All her life she was alone because people around her never stayed for long. They all leave.

Tears started welling inside her eyes. She immediately hides her face on his chest and hugged him tighter. ‘Junho-ya, thank you for your love. Even if it just for a while, I will keep our memory together forever.…’     

.

Lee Sangmin pensively looking outside the huge glass window which he could see the panoramic view of the city of Seoul. His office was at the top of the building and at the age of 60, he could be proud of his achievement to be one of the richest men in Korea. He was very fortunate in the business field where he was known to have a ‘golden touch’. Even when a company in a verge of bankruptcy, he dared to buy it and turned it to be more profitable.

But he was not very lucky in term of his family life. He was blessed with three sons, but he lost them one by one. His sons meant everything for him and he willing to exchange all his wealth if it could bring his sons back but he knew it was impossible. Now, the one and only Lee Junho was his most precious ‘treasure’ in his life along with his wife.

Junho didn’t know that he secretly hired a bodyguard to always follow him anywhere he goes. He couldn’t afford to lose Junho too so he wanted someone to protect him and kept him safe. The bodyguard loyally gave the update about his son every day and the latest information made him uneasy.

He was glad that Junho succeeded in his first task but at the same time he was worried when the bodyguard told him about who Junho brought to the island with him. He was not oblivious at the changes of his son because for someone who always been brooded and have gloomy aura, Junho now looks so happy and always smiling. He once told his son that he wouldn’t interfere in his love life and he wouldn’t mind about the social status of his future in law. He won’t judge them by their wealth as long as his son is happy.

However, never ever he would thought that Junho would fall in love with a single mother. How could he accept a child who was not related to him as his grandson? Moreover, how could he give his family fortune to an outsider?

Lee Sangmin closed his eyes, what he had now was the result of the blood, sweat and tears of his grandfather and his father and he was sure all their hard work was meant for the Lee’s bloodline.

His eyes immediately flared up with determination. He walked to his desk and punched one button of the phone to call his secretary. “Miss Kim, I want to go to our office in Incheon, cancel all my appointment for today.”

.

The door of the elevator opened when it reach the fifth floor of the building. Soeun awkwardly walked out to an exclusive office floor that looks more like a five star hotel. The highest floor of the building was meant only for the top executives of the company and she had no idea why she was summoned to go there.

A nice looking lady was approaching her because she looked like a lost kitten in a big city.

“Are you Miss Kim Soeun?” She politely asked.

“Yes, I am.” Soeun answered while nodding her head profusely.

“Come with me.”

Soeun followed her closely because she afraid she would lost without her . They reached at the end of the corridor when the nice looking lady stopped in front of the huge wooden door. She smiled sweetly and bowed at her before she left the visibly confused Kim Soeun. Although she didn’t say anything, Soeun guessed that someone behind the door was waiting for her.

She knocked the door a few times and opened it slowly. She was impressed with the size of the room and hang opened while appreciating it internal design, from the crystal clear chandelier on the ceiling to the drawing of a futuristic city along the wall of the room.

“That’s Incheon.”

A voice startled her. She just remembered that someone else was inside the room. She turned her head and saw a middle aged man behind her. She immediately recognised the man and she bowed a little to show her respect.

“15 years ago, nobody wanted to live in Incheon because there’s nothing here to offer to our people. Everybody wanted to go to Seoul until it became a crowded city. I’m one of the pioneers to switch Incheon from the ‘unwanted’ city to be what it becomes now and the transformation will continue until it turn into the city on the drawing you looking at.” 

“I’m glad I will be one of many people that will make sure this drawing will convert into a reality in the future.” Soeun proudly showed her gratitude.

Lee Sangmin chuckled a little. “Of course, only with the help from my people we will be able to accomplish it. It’s not my dreams, it is our dream.”

Soeun silently admiring the man who’s now beside her. He exuded a strong aura of leadership and the way he talked was full with passion and ambitious. She was now understood why Junho always talked highly about his father.

Physically, Junho took a lot of features from his father especially the eyes. That lovely smiling eyes looked so proud while looking at the drawing of his ambition for Incheon. But Seoun can’t help to feel sympathy at him when she remembered about what had happen to his family. Those smiling eyes suddenly looked hesitance, like he was gathering his courage to face her.

“I have something to say to you.” Lee Sangmin turned to be serious after he reminded himself about the reason he came to meet her. He just met her for the first time but he couldn’t explain why he attracted at her. He could already imagine her to be his good daughter in law who he could be proud of. If only she didn’t have that child then everything would be perfect.

“Let’s have a seat first.” He raised his hand to show her the seat and they both went to sit on the sofa.

Soeun had a hunch at what would be the topic of their conversation so she took a deep breath to ready herself.

“I’m aware at the relationship between you and my son.” Lee Sangmin started the talk.

“You must be thinking that I’m not suitable for your son because I’m not wealthy.” Soeun carefully interrupted.

“No, you are not the problem. I have no problem with you, if only…” Lee Sangmin was hesitated to continue.

“If what sir?” Soeun was clearly confused.

“You can’t expect me to accept an outsider to be my grandson, right? I’ve done a background check on you and nobody knows who is the father of your son. So we don’t know what kind of blood runs in his body.”

“Excuse me?”

“He left you and your son alone, what kind of man who is so irresponsible like that? Who know maybe he was a criminal and there’s a saying said the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. What if he grew up to be exactly the same trash like his father? I can’t take the risk and let him destroy my family name.”

“Stop! Please stop.” Soeun couldn’t hide her anger anymore. “You can insult me sir, I’ve already immune at how people judge me but please don’t insult my son because he’s innocent. He has done nothing wrong because the fault lies solely on his parents. I understand what you’re trying to say but you don’t have to say nasty thing about a little boy who is pure like a white sheet.” Soeun choked on her words. She could feel her whole body trembling when she tried not to cry but fail miserably.

This was what she afraid the most for her son Junwoo. His status as a child out of wedlock with an unknown father would be the main reason for him to get hate. To think that Junwoo would be facing the harsh reality of the world when he’s older for something beyond his control, it made her feel sorry for him and it also made her hate herself more.

Soeun wiped away her tears, but no matter how many times she wiped it, her cheeks still drenched with the tears. So she ignored it. She didn’t care anymore about how she looks in front of the almighty Lee Sangmin.

“Mr Lee, as a parent I’m sure you’re also will bleed more if something happen to our child. I understand you just want to protect your son and your family but you don’t need to attack an innocent child to get what you want. That child also has a parent who will do anything to protect him.” She took a deep breath and exhaled slowly.

“I will leave Junho and I won’t meet him again. I hope he won’t bother us too.” Soeun didn’t need more time to make the decision. It was not a choice to begin with. Nothing can be compared to her son Junwoo.

“I’ll talk to my son and I’m sure he will listen to me. I’ll transfer him back to Seoul so you can continue your work here like before you met him.”

Soeun immediately stood up and bowed at Junho’s father. “I should take a leave now since we already reach our agreement.”

Lee Sangmin nodded his head and Soeun didn’t waste any more time to storm out from the room. His eyes followed her until she was disappeared behind the door. He released his breath that he didn’t know he was holding. He definitely felt bad but he ignored his conscience because he needs to protect his family.

He tried to stand up to get out from the room but his legs felt like jelly and he immediately fall back on his seat. He didn’t realise that his whole body was also trembling but he didn’t know why.   

With a trembling hand, he snatched out his phone from his pocket and calling Junho. He only heard one beep before Junho answered his call.

“Junho-ya, I’m at your office. Can you send me home now?”

“Are you okay aboji?” Junho asked worriedly when he heard his father’s shaky voice.

“I’m fine. I just want to talk with you at our house.”

“Okay, I’ll come to you now.” 

.

.

.

Author's note: Sorry for the late update and I put Junho as the chapter image because he looks so hot while freezing in the cold weather :)