Chapter 7

The Stranger

“Why me?” Soeun lost count on how many times she was asking the same question again and again. Earlier, Junho had ‘kidnapped’ her from her office without giving any explanation and suddenly she was on a private helicopter. Junwoo already waiting for her and he was very excited to ride Helly (robocar poli’s character). They flew for a few hours and finally reached their destination.  

“I don’t know. Mr Jang is the one who asked you to come with me for the site visit.” Junho nonchalantly reply while taking the big steps on the beach.

“I’m sure you play a major role to influencing his decision.” Soeun pressed further.

“Be positive please. Mr Jang said you’re a genius engineer and a very fast learner. He wanted you to learn from the scratch.”

“But this is the first time I have to work far from my house. FOR A WEEK!”

“I’ve already set up everything for your needs here so I don’t see any problem. In fact we can use this opportunity as a family trip, right Juni-ya?” Junho asked the little boy who was holding on him and planted a kiss on his fluffy cheek.

“Erm!” Junwoo agreed excitedly.

“Let’s go to the sea!” Junho exclaimed while pointing his finger towards the sea.

“Sea…sea…!!” Junwoo copied him and also pointing out his small finger at the same direction.

Soeun glared at the back of a man who was running towards the sea while carried her son. They landed on Jeju Island just a few hours ago and went straight to a two bedroom villa that Junho rented. Now they were picnicking at the beach where he plans to build the resort. Junho said Mr Jang wanted her to do preliminary investigation about the condition of the area and to estimate the cost to construct the resort. She needed to do the report with a few pictures before the company send a team to do thorough investigation in detail.

“Momma!!” The little boy waved eagerly at his mother to signalling her to join them playing in the water.

“Come with us Soeun-ah!”

“Soeun-ah? Yah!” She ran to them to scold him for removing their formality but he splashed her with the sea water and her son was laughing at her. “You are not going to get away from me Lee Junho!” She joined the duo and started splashing the water to them.

Their laughter continued to mingle with the sound of wave. Happiness was clearly shown on their face. For other tourists, they were the perfect model for a happy family.

Soeun realised her defence started to wear off and her heart was exposed for infiltration. She was weak, not by his flirtatious smile or his loving gaze or by his deep se-xy voice, no! She could handle that, after all he was not the only guy who make a move on her. The only weapon to weaken her was her one and only son. How could her not falling for a man who honestly loved her son like his own. A man who patiently listened to all his tantrum and a man who hugged him while singing to put him to sleep.

“He’s sleeping already. You can put him on the bed.” Soeun slowly whispered to Junho while caressing Junwoo’s hair. He was sleeping soundly in Junho’s arms while hugging Po tightly.

They walked together towards Soeun’s room and he laid him on the bed. He chastely kissed his fluffy cheek and forehead before covering him with the blanket. Soeun was leaning on the doorway and watched his action. “You can’t let him get used to your affection. He will get greedy and will ask for you every night.”

Junho smiled a little before started to walk towards Soeun. “I don’t mind to be by his side every night especially with the presence of his mother.”

Ahh he’s flirting with her again. Soeun smirked at him who standing dangerously closer to her. They silently stared at each other for a few second. “Do you… like us?” Soeun carefully chose the words to ask.

“No.” Junho saw her lifted her eyebrows when he answered her question. “I LOVE both of you.” He lifted his hand and tucked her hair behind her ear. Then he proceeded to caressing her smooth cheek. He whispered his deep voice closer to her ear; “Go to sleep now my love, we have a lot of work to do tomorrow.”

Soeun was still frozen on the doorway even after ten minutes he left her room. Her heartbeat refuse to slow down and her red face failed to go back to the original colour. She had to massage her chest and took a deep breath to stay calm and recovered from his shocking confession. It still felt so unreal but she was not in her dream.  

Slowly she stride towards the bed and joined her son. She embraced him gently and nuzzled her nose on his soft hair. “Junie-ya, why do you like him so much? Is it contagious? Because I think he’s infected me too…”

.

The next day they divided their task with Soeun had to go to the site to check the condition of the soil while Junho needed to discuss the acquisition of the land. Junwoo was left at the house with a part time babysitter.

Junho was nervous and he couldn’t understand why his father sent him to do the job. His father had been trying to acquire the land for a year but failed no matter how much money he offered to the landlord. So what make his father think that he could succeed?

Junho had done some research about the landlord and found out that he was one of the richest men in the island. Almost 50% of the island was under his name. He was lucky that the landlord agreed to meet him today because he was a busy man and Junho had to set their appointment a month ago. So this is his only chance to meet him and gave him a good impression because if he fails, maybe he has to say goodbye to the resort forever.

They agreed to meet at the hotel that owned by the landlord and Junho came early to the conference room to arranging his presentation. When he opened his laptop bag, he was shock to see Po peeking along with his laptop. He looked to his left and right to make sure no one would see Po although he was the only one in the room. He couldn’t let people to misunderstand him and thought he still attached and obsessed with the smelly-baby-pillow. Junwoo must have put Po into his bag this morning without he realised it.

He waited for another hour for the landlord to come. No not because the landlord was late but because he was super early to make sure that everything was intact including his nervousness.

Finally they arrived on time.         

“Good morning Mr Lee, my name is Kang Youngjae and I’m Mr Hwang’s legal advisor.” The younger man introduced himself “And this is Mr Hwang Minjae, the owner and also the chairman of HM Group.”

Mr Hwang maybe a little bit older than his father and he didn’t look friendly. Junho immediately offered his hand for a handshake with the legal advisor then towards Mr Hwang who never tore his eyes off him. He grabbed his hand and refused to let go; “And your name is…?” asked Mr Hwang.

Junho gulped his saliva and awkwardly smiled at him. “I’m Lee Junho sir.” He still holding his hand and studying every single cells of him. Junho felt uncomfortable under his intense gaze but didn’t dare to move until he released his hand. “Nice to meet you sir.”

“Mr Lee, as you already know, Mr Hwang is a very busy man so you are lucky he agree to meet you today but you only have one hour to convince him to sell his land.”

Junho went to his laptop and ready to explain their plan for the land. But before he even begin to speak, his phone vibrated in his pocket. He fished out his phone and saw the baby sitter’s number. He had reminded her to call him if something very urgent happen at home. With a worried feeling he answered the call. “What’s wrong?” He heard a loud wail on the background before the baby sitter answered him.

“It’s Junwoo, he was sleepy but refused to sleep. He called for Po over and over again but I don’t understand what he wanted. I tried to call his mother but her phone is unreachable.” The babysitter sounded worried because Junwoo won’t stop crying.

“Okay, I’m on my way.” He immediately disconnected the call and realised that the two men were staring intensely at him.

“Mr Lee, I hope you know that the time never stop ticking. You are lucky that Mr Hwang agree to meet you today so can you start your presentation now?”

Junho was fidgeting with his phone. He looked at Mr Hwang and surprisingly the old man was looking at him with a mischievous looks, like he was very anticipating his next move. Junho closed his eyes while still clutching his phone tightly. What should he do now?