Chapter 12

The Stranger

Chapter 12

“Are you sure you don’t want to postpone our dinner? Junwoo is not feeling well and I think it’s better for him to rest at home.” Junho wiped Junwoo’s wet nose with his handkerchief while holding him in his arm. Then he put his hand on his forehead to feel his temperature. It was slightly warm.

They were on their way to Junho’s house to have dinner with his parents. Although Soeun was so nervous about the meeting, she didn’t want to postpone it any longer and want it done fast so she won’t have sleepless nights every time she thought about it. “He’s fine. He only got a minor cold. Maybe it will lessen his energy a little bit and he has a runny nose but other than that, he’s fine.”

“It’s unfair to catch a cold during summer right Juni-ya?” He ruffled his fluffy hair. “Summer is a time for you to have fun outside but you have to stay inside the house.” Suddenly Junho got an idea to . He waited for the elevator door to open. When they stepped outside the elevator, Junho suddenly stopped his track and made a face and pursed his lips. “No, it’s better for you to rest at home.”

“Nooooooo” Junwoo whined to protest. “I want to go!” He crinkled his eyebrows and folding his arms around his chest while looking straight into Junho’s eyes.

Junho laugh out loud and couldn’t help to feel proud that he was given a chance to witness his development. He still remember the first time he met him, he cannot even understand a single word coming from his mouth except momma. Now he could talked back at him and slowly correcting to call Soeun omma.

Junho rewarded him with a hard kiss on his cheek and smiled at him. “I’m just kidding. Of course I will bring you to see halmoni and haraboji.”

Soeun’s lips curled upwards when she watched them, her boys. She won’t ask for anything else now, she wanted everything to stay the same. Their laughter, their happiness and Junho was all she needed. But she couldn’t help to feel the strange feeling eating her heart. She took it as the sign of her nervousness, but she couldn’t ignore the voices at the back of her head saying that tonight won’t be easier for her.

.

Junho who was driving the car realised the tension coming from the person beside him. He looked at the rear view mirror and saw Junwoo was playing with his toy on the child car seat. His hand slowly reached out to hold Soeun’s hand and he squeezed it gently. Soeun tilted her head from the outside view and looked down at their hands. She moved her fingers and intertwined with his and sent him her dazzling smile.

“Don’t worry.” He said. “Everything’s going to be okay. I’m not expecting that it will be smooth tonight but I will always by your side. By the way, next month we will have double birthday celebration. First you and then Junwoo.” Junho tried to distract her with another topic.

“Junwoo will be 2-year-old next month. I can’t believe how fast he grows. It feels like it was just yesterday the first time I held him in my arms. His voice was so laud and I think the whole labour room echoed with his wail.” Soeun softly laughing while reminiscence the first time she met the love of her life.

“I wish I was there…” He looked at the rear view mirror and smiled while gazing gently at Junwoo.

“I wish you will be there for the rest of his life.” Soeun whispered slowly while looking at Junho.

Junho his breath because he realised the weight of her words. He immediately lifted his gaze from the rear view mirror and looked straight into her eyes to confirm he was not imagining it and he saw nothing but honesty in those brown eyes. ‘The rest of his life’ could be more than 60 years and she wanted him to be with them for that long (he mentally planning on more healthier lifestyle so he could live that long and he will force Soeun to follow him).

Suddenly he could feel the surged of blood rushing towards his ears. He knew by now, his ears were redder than a ripe strawberry and Soeun’s chuckle confirming it because she loved to make fun at his red ears. “Aish!!!” He exclaimed in frustration because of his inability to control his emotion and made it visible through his ears.

They continue to have more conversation during the ride, mainly on the topic of the incoming double birthday celebration. Soeun’s birthday on 6th of September and Junwoo’s 25th of September. Junho said it was like a destiny that Junwoo was born on the same month with Soeun and the same day with him. “Twenty-fifth” He said proudly in English.          

After a few hours, Junho slowed down his car in front of a huge metal gate. The gate automatically opened to allow the resident of the place to come in. He drove slowly for a few minutes until they reached the main house. To Soeun’s surprise, the house was nothing like she would imagine.

“So what do you think?” Junho asked after he pulled his handbrake to park. They stayed inside the car for a while and Junho let Soeun analysing his house. Junwoo already fell asleep at the back.

“I thought you’d be living in a castle.” She answered while still looking at the regular double storey house, in term of size.

Junho sighed. “You watched too many dramas. Why on earth we must live in a big castle with too many rooms if there’re less than ten people living in this house?”

“I don’t know, asked the director of the drama. But, you can’t deny that although you have a normal house’s size, your garden is abnormally huge. Although it’s pitch black outside and I can’t see anything, you took some time to reach your house from the gate.”

“Because it’s not a garden, it’s a forest. My mother loves the forest because she can ‘breathe’ well inside the forest. I can’t wait to bring you here during autumn because the view is magnificent.” Junho smile proudly. “Let’s go.” Junho turn off the engine and went out. He gently gathered Junwoo in his arms but the slight movement woke him up.

He looked puzzle at the new surrounding but ignored it and rested his chin on Junho’s shoulder while hugging his neck. It would take some time for him to ‘really’ awake.

Soeun took a deep breath before exited the car. It’s now or never and she told herself to stay strong at whatever challenge ahead. Junho was already waiting for her and extended his hand at her when she walked towards him. She took his hand and let him lead her to the front door.

.

Park Minjung anxiously waiting for the door to open. She realised her son’s car already park in front of the house for a while and she expected them to come in anytime soon but they didn’t. “What took them so long?” She asked her impassive husband. She rolled her eyes when her husband continued to read the book and ignore her question. “I bet you are the reason for the delay.” She stood up and wanted to open the door because she can’t wait to meet them.

“Sit.” Her husband lifted his eyebrows at her. “They’ll come in when they wants to.”

She immediately sat back along with a laud huff.

After a few minutes, they heard the door open and Junho came in to the living room to greet his parents, one arm was holding Junwoo and another was holding Soeun’s hand.

“Omoni, this is Kim Soeun, my girlfriend.” Junho smiled widely at his mother while intentionally ignoring his father. He thought his father knew her too well that he didn’t need to introduce her to him.

Park Minjung immediately stood up and went to Soeun. She held both of her hands and smiling at her. “Ahh now I know why my son falls head over heels in love with you, you’re so beautiful.”

“I’m honoured to meet you Mrs Park, I heard a lot about you from Junho.” She smiled back and felt the warmth from her touch.  

Then she diverted her gaze at the little boy and released Soeun’s hands. “And who we have here?” She gently the back of Junwoo’s head while he still sleepily rested his chin on Junho’s shoulder.

“This sleepy head is Junwoo.” Junho introduced him. Then he gently nudged his shoulder to shake Junwoo’s head. “Juni-ya, do you want to see halmoni?”

Junwoo lazily lifted his head and turned it to face the new strangers.

A loud gasped coming from Junho’s mother.  

.

.

Author's Note: Thank you to all reader who still have patient with me and I'm really sorry for the late update.