Chapter 5

It Happened In New York

The noise of the airport was just enough to work on Nahla's nerves but she tried to keep reminding herself that this was for Anna. Nahla preferred quietness, she hated airports just because it always was reminded her of goodbyes, which she hated. And to top off her list, Nahla hated flying. She took a huge breath after it was announced that the plane will be boarding. She found her seat quite quickly as soon as she got in the plane, she made sure to book the window seat, it was the one thing she didn't mind among all the other things she loathed.
She had just settled in when a handsome young gentleman sat himself next to her.

"So it was you who booked the window seat before me." The young man joked before having a seat next to Nahla.

"I booked this ticket almost a year ago." Nahla glanced at him before returning to her view.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Please fasten your seat belts as we are now ready for take off." The voice of one of the stewardess' was heard throughout the plane.

"I'm Taeyang." He held out his right hand to Nahla. She gently clasped onto to it and gave him a polite handshake.

"You go to New York often?"

"No but I have been there twice before." Nahla broke away from her view to look at Taeyang.

"What about you?" Nahla wasn't used to talking to strangers in such a circumstance but she figured that she could use a little company on this long flight.

"I'm in New York once every month. My family lives there."

"How come you aren't staying with them?" Nahla was a curious creature and it was something she wasn't ashamed of but rather she was proud of it.

"I moved to Korea shortly after I graduated. I wanted to go back to my roots, being in a foreign country with foreign customs, you can soon find yourself losing your culture."

"I can't disagree with you on that one."
Throughout most of the flight, Nahla and Taeyang kept their conversation going, they were both friendly and they had a lot in common.

"We've been flying for almost ten hours and I still don't know your name." Taeyang and Nahla had just woken up from a nap.

"You didn't ask." Nahla chuckled.

"It's Nahla."

"Odd name for a Korean." Taeyang looked puzzled.

"Half Korean." Nahla added.

"And the other half?"

"Take a guess." Nahla said playfully.

"Okay. So you don't have typical Korean eyes but they're definitely Asian. I'll have to go ahead and say one parent is from Singapore?" Nahla laughed.

"You are so wrong." She added.

"I'm half Japanese."

"That's interesting. So how did that work out for you and your family?"

"My parents are divorced so obviously not that well." Nahla tried to find the light in her situation but she just couldn't so she preferred not to talk about it. It was a difficult time for her but she tried to focus on other things like building her career and spending whatever time she had left on Micheal.

"I'm sorry to hear that." Nahla gave him a weak smile.

"This might be a bit forward but if you have any time, join me for dinner?"

"I don't know if I can. I have this wedding to go to and I'll be back on Korea on Tuesday." Nahla knew where this was going and she didn't want it to go there.

"How about when I get back to Korea at the end of the week? Busy then?"

"Okay but just dinner. Nothing else." Nahla was firm, she had to be. She knew deep within herself that she needed some time alone before going back into the dating world. She wasn't sure if she actually wanted to go back to dating, it just made life more complicated.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nahla arrived at her hotel and checked in before delivering the bride's dress and bridesmaid dresses.

"I just hope it fits! I'm getting married tomorrow." Anna was getting ready to fit her wedding dress that was made without her being present.
And to Nahla's surprise, the dress actually fitted. Nahla was preparing herself for a long night of alterations but thankfully that wasn't the case. Nahla stared at her creation on her friend. From the sweetheart neckline to the beading just around the abdomen.  Her heart ached because simply, this was supposed to be her standing in the mirror looking at her wedding dress.

"You look amazing." Nahla quickly snapped out of her own world and into the present.

"Thank you! You are just amazing!" Anna shook her head in disbelief. She too couldn't believe that the dress fit her like a glove.

"I can't wait for you to meet Jeremy. He is such a wonderful soul." The happiness in Anna's eyes made Nahla jealous. All she ever wanted was to find true love and get married but instead, she found herself single and designing bridal gowns.

"That's great. I'm so happy for you." The two friends embraced.
Even though she was jet lagged, Nahla later found herself walking the streets of New York. It was definitely more busy than Seoul. There was a lot of traffic, a lot of people and a lot of buildings. It was so busy and noisy that Nahla found it so easy isolate herself in her mind. The only thing she heard now was the voice in her mind... 

 

***Hi everybody!! I hope the fanfic is going great for you guys, since I'm back at work and back to my studies, I may not have as much time to update during the week but I will definitely try my best to update on weekends and maybe if I'm lucky I will do two updates per week. Once again thanks to all the subscribers and readers! ^^ ***