Chapter 13

It Happened In New York

The house party was coming to an end, everyone was making their way out of the elaborate house. The party was a disaster, Seung Hyun spent most of his time in his study, only coming out when really necessary. Nahla felt so awkward and out of place but Morgan insisted she stayed a little longer. It wasn't long until it was just Morgan, Nahla and Seung Hyun in the house. The silence was unbearable, Seung Hyun was in the baddest moods and Morgan still didn't know about the contract. As the three of them scattered around the kitchen, Seung Hyun at the table, Morgan leaning on the counter, texting and Nahla stood at the entrance to the kitchen watching the both of them. 

"You guys, I completely forgot about my date with the girls tonight." Morgan stopped fiddling with her phone and grabbed her bag that was on the kitchen counter.

"Baby, don't wait up for me." She went to kiss Seung Hyun on his cheek and left. Nahla took this as her que to leave as well but before she could speak, Seung Hyun stopped her by speaking first.

"Would you like to join me for dinner?" He looked at her so sincerely, she found it hard to say no so she agreed.

"I hope you like tomato soup because that's all I know how to make." He said shyly. Nahla hated soup and so she hesitated for a bit.

"I have a better idea, how about I make us some katsu curry but you have to do the dishes." He smiled instantly, silently giving Nahla the go ahead.
After dinner Seung Hyun lead Nahla back to the library and poured them each a glass of whiskey before retiring on his chair by his desk. Nahla continued looking at the vast collection of books.

"Where did you learn to make katsu curry? It was delicious." Seung Hyun said after a little bit of staring at Nahla. Nahla was in her own world and Seung Hyun's voice brought her back to life.

"My grandmother." Nahla put her glass down on a small side table before going towards Seung Hyun's desk. She went to the window near the desk and looked outside before turning to look at Seung Hyun.

"My father is Japanese, I lived there for a few years before coming back to Korea." Nahla couldn't help but smile, she was just so happy to be here, alone with Seung Hyun. 

"I've always wondered why you look so different." He added. 

"When my parents got divorced, I spent a lot of time back and forth but after finishing school, I stopped travelling so often."

"I'm sorry to hear that." He looked sincere.

"I guess what tore them apart was none of them wanted to give up their countries. They would always argue about where they were going to settle. Obviously my dad wanted to stay in Japan while my mother wanted to stay in Korea. Neither one wanted to back down and eventually they both gave up." Nahla has never opened up about her past, not even to Camilla. She felt so comfortable around Seung Hyun, everything just came out automatically.

"And what about your name? It's quite unusual." Nahla chuckled.

"My parents took a trip to Africa before I was born. My mom was about three months pregnant. They stayed at this lodge that was in the wild, they would literally look out their windows and see wild animals and one day they went on tour in the bush and their tour guide's name was Nahla. Now according to my mom, this woman was so strikingly beautiful and she had the most wonderful personality. My mom liked her so much that she named me after her."

"I would have never guessed, I thought your parents loved The Lion King too much." He joked.

"I get that a lot. Some people even ask me was I named after the lioness in The Lion King." Nahla blushed out of embarrassment.

"It's a beautiful name though."

"Thank you." For a moment, Nahla and Seung Hyun just stared at each other, it felt so right. They both knew it.

"I should get going, it's getting late and I have a ton of work to do." Nahla proceeded to collect her things.

"I'll walk you out." 
Nahla didn't want to leave but she had to, Seung Hyun didn't want her to leave either. They reached the front door before saying their goodbyes.

"I had a really great time with you." Seung Hyun had a sparkle in his eye that Nahla has never seen before.

"Me too." She said softly. Seung Hyun opened the door and watched as Nahla left.