Part five...

Christmas in Seoul

The answer of any question in the Universe popped up into his eyes making her to just keep staring. He smiled awkwardly and got ready to talk when a noise cut him off… again. Her eyes turned into merely two horizontal lines and red big spots started appearing on Seunghyun’s face as a loud growl from his middle part of the body started being heard. He quickly covered his stomach with both of his hands, asking it to shut it, but it wouldn’t listen: it made even louder noises.

She couldn’t restrain a giggle which turned into a real laugher when he started looking like Bashful from Snow White.

“Yah! It’s not nice to laugh at starving people!” he tried saying in a serious tone but the growls wouldn’t allow him to. “Mian haeyo” he barely said in between his laughs.

“Oh… mian haeyo… I really shouldn’t laugh at you…” she also tried to say. “ok, ok… I’m stopping right now…” she covered with both of her hands.

She wasn’t really laughing about him, it was just a normal reaction when meeting one’s idol, but her rather squeaky laughter burst out his laughter too.

“Ok, ok…. Time to calm down…” she managed to say breathing heavily, checking her already burning cheeks, but one single look to him triggered another session of out of control laughter from both parts.

“Aissi…Jin jang!” she whispered mostly and slightly slapped her face several times. “I’m really sorry” she started again wiping the sweat on her forehead with the back of her hands “sometimes when I’m really tired I get this laughter crisis…”

‘It’s ok” Seunghyun answered. “You made me laugh today and I am grateful for it” he smiled trying to hold back his laugh.

“Look…” she said shoving her hands inside the big waistcloth’s pocket.

“You look like a mama kangaroo” he said starting a new laughter tantrum. “Mian hae! Mian hae!”… he said holding on his talking stomach again.

“Here, have these!” she took out a couple of yogurt plastic cans.

“What are those?”

“Poison. Eat them!”

Seunghyun wouldn’t dare to take them, so she opened one of them in just one move.

“You gotta feed that monster” she smiled stretching her hand out to him. “It was just a joke. You can drink it!”

“But… it has fruits in it…” he skeptically looked inside the can.

“Yeah, but you won’t choke on them” she said bringing it closer to his mouth.

He grabbed it and drank it all closing tight his eyes.

“Whaa! This is good!” he grabbed the second one and drank it all at once again.

‘I know!” she smiled widely.

“Where do you take them from?” he asked chasing around the can a couple of strawberry hunks.

“Hmm… from a really special place” she answered amused by his actions.

“The store down stairs?” he asked chewing really pleased.

“Ne…” she answered and again took out other two small cans.

They were standing on the floor, with their legs crossed underneath them, staring out the big windows at the massive snow fall.

“It’s so beautiful…” Seunghyun said all of a sudden, switching the conversation they were already having.

“Mmm…” she said without taking her eyes off of the window.

“Umm…” he made her look at him “about tomorrow…” he syllabified mostly, gathering up in a perfect aligned tower the entire 8 yogurt cans.    

“What about it?” she couldn’t understand.

“Well… it’s Christmas’ Eve and… you’re definitely…”

“…going to do my job” she smiled. “And the day after tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that too…” she got up grabbing the long tower  “and I hope I’ll be doing it for as long as I’ll need” she concluded when he caught her wrist making the cans to shiver and almost fall.

“Wha! Care…ful…” she swallowed back her words when he stared at her. “Wae… wae… I have something on my face?” she tried to speak but she had to shut it because she feared that her voice will soon show its tremble.

It got quiet. So quiet that one could actually hear the snowflakes hitting the glass of the windows.

‘Does he know?’ she asked herself without daring to even blink, fearing that if she’ll do, she’ll get up from another wonderful dream. ‘No, he couldn’t know…’ she thought again. ‘This really has to be a dream…’ she kept on talking in her mind especially when he caught her face in his big, warm hands.

He looked at her as if he was trying to read her deepest, darkest thoughts. She couldn’t feel him inside her mind just yet, but she couldn’t also feel her heart beats any longer. Her legs started turning numb when their noses almost touched and turned dry as Sahara on a summer day. Her lips drew away one from the other in an attempt to grab some lifesaving piece of air, or probably in an attempt to take a taste of his wonderful smiling lips… whichever would happen first.

‘Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way…’ the gleeful ringtone put a gruesome end to this magical moment.

She quickly blinked several times to hide the tears in her eyes and he turned away too.

“Answer it…” he said without looking at her.

“Ah…ne… “ she heavily looked for her cellphone inside the big pocket, making him to smile again. “Oh, God!” she whispered and quickly moved her finger on the green image of the green handset. “Ne, gwajang – nim!” she said louder than she should have. “Aniyo… I’m still here… Yes, I’m cleaning… Yes sir…” she forced herself to answer as short as she could so she wouldn’t embarrass Seunghyun, who was again staring and her, with his hands deep in his pockets.

‘Jingle bells, jingle bells…’ was heard again and Seunghyun’s eyes suddenly doubled. 

She looked at him with big eyes too, as he quickly answered his phone.

“Yeah!” he answered a little rough but immediately softened it “Omma! Ne…” he smiled shyly.

“I’ll be right there!” she said waving to Seunghyun.

He silently grabbed her wrist while talking to his mother, but she shook her head, signaling she really had to leave. She set herself free and left but not before putting another 2 yogurt cans on his bed.

“Eat well and sleep longer!” she whispered before disappearing behind the white door.

“Yeah… be right there, be right there… but where?” she spoke out loud when she closed the door behind her. She began walking while she checked up her face. It was pretty hot and most probable already covered in a bright shades of red. She smiled and took a couple of running steps before she hit someone.

“OH! Jeez! Mian! Mian haeyo!” she quickly grabbed a napkin to try stop the black coffee to reach the light jeans.

“Yah! Cut it off!” Jiyong shouted when her napkin reached the first some sensitive parts.

He caught both of her hands and raised them up in the air to make her stop, but they both froze for a couple of minutes.

“Che… chesonghamnida…” she said releasing herself from his powerful grip. “I’m so sorry, sir…” she felt the need to add since she wasn’t sure about her Korean pronunciation.

“Yah, ‘non speaking girl’! Almost perfect!” he said smiling proud. “If you’re  gonna also say ‘thank you’ in Korean I might even ki…” he started saying but her whispered “Kamsahmnida” brought an even wider smile on his face and he suddenly grabbed her waist, smashing his soft lips onto hers.