Part 1

Christmas in Seoul

6:30. The flashy small screen turned pink as it started singing a very popular tune. One skinny hand got it up, stopped the annoying music and disappeared back from where it came, underneath the flowered blanket. After merely 2 seconds, the blanket flew away. In the dime light, a slim girly figure rushed its way up to the white door.

She the light. The bright white tiles made her nicely-shaped eyebrows to bind above her nose. She rubbed her eyes asking them to open and stay opened, then she stopped in front of the mirror. She smiled. She spun the water tap, always smiling. She threw her face three times in her watery palm, and then checked the mirror again. Afterwards she lumbered her way up to the so called shower, which was nothing more than a long pipe with two water taps. She spun one of them and released a blasphemy until she spun the other one too, which made her nod with a smile. She threw away the long dinosaur-shirt and allowed the hot water to warm her disheveled head. After several long minutes she was done arranging the pink bow that held the red hair all together in one rich bun. She smiled one last time and took a deep breath. She giggled and rushed to the chair that was bravely holding her 3 pairs of jeans, several long sleeved shirts and some sort of pink uniform with white waistcloth and long sleeves. She looked for her black boots under the chair, also finding the black leggings that she immediately put on. She was ready now. One last glimpse at the small screen put a smile on her face again.

"Finally I'm ready on time!" she said out loud, throwing on her long, black overcoat.

The blizzard wind put some red dots on her face as soon as she stepped outside the building; some melted snow invaded her  drilled boots, but she just shook her head twice, took a deep freezing breath and started walking again.  She was really excited by the huge gorgeous young boys posters that hung all over the tallest buildings in town. All those unknown letters on every window-shop made her forget all about the discomfort in her shoes and her wide smile froze on her face again. After crossing 4 times she stopped in front of an enormous building covered in glass. She bowed politely to the doorkeeper in front, but he merely raised an eyebrow to her. She lowered her eyes but they hit the reflection of the Korean flag on a really shiny car hood, which brought back her courage.

"South Korea, I'll do my best! Fighting!!" she shouted from the bottom of her heart. She smiled shyly when she realized her fist was up in the air and everyone around her was staring.

"Fighting!" another soft voice joined in with a white as the snow fist up next to hers.

"Ah, Ming Yoo!" the girl said hugging the owner of the white gloves. "I thought you forgot about me!..."

"How could I ?" Ming Yoo asked smiling back at her. "You called me 10 times last night to remind me today it's your first day at work" she said laughing so charmly.

"Ah, yes... I'm so sorry, but I am so nervous about this... And I really thank you for this opportunity! Honestly! From the bottom of my heart!” she said bowing deeply.

"Oh, stop that!" Ming Yoo said grabbing her hand in a warm grip. "It's a bad job and an underpaid one, but otherwise my dad wouldn't 'have had agreed..." she blushed trying to release the grip. 

"Doesn't matter!" the girl said trying to hold on the warm glove as much as she possible could "without you I would've had never be able to leave that f..." she wanted to say something bad about her country but she suddenly remembered that in here patriotism and honor for your country were a must, so she quickly disguised her words: "to live this once of a life time opportunity and I won't let you down! Gamsahamida!"

"It will be a little rough at the beginning, but... fighting, right?" Ming Yoo put a smile on her friend's face.

' "Aish... how helpful would’ve been some of the Korean interjections..." ' she thought and while she followed Ming Yoo she promised to herself that starting from today she will go each day to the library and learn new words.

They reached a nice, clean office where a nicely dressed fat man welcomed them with a bow... well actually the bow was only for Ming Yoo, for her it was the same eyebrow lifting as the doorman did.

' "So this has to be my boss" ' she talked to herself even though she was trying really hard to understand his speech and nod once in a while when it looked like he's asking her if she understood. Well it wasn’t anything too fancy or too complicated anyway, just a mop, a broom, a vacuum cleaner...last generation vacuum cleaner... and countless plastic bottles, all gathered in a neat pile inside a carrier.

' "You're not allowed to use the stairs, you may clean the room only when the costumers are not inside" ' she aped her fat boss, having fun on her own.

' "The only allowed way to move through the hotel" ' she said again using a man's voice pushing the red 'personnel elevator' s key.