Part 10

Christmas in Seoul

They entered a big, bright room and she had no idea at what to stare first – the really huge Christmas tree or at the three really beautiful women who were just as surprised as she was.

“Umm… Annyeong hashimnikka!” she tried to pronounce as accurate as she could, bowing 90°.

“Good evening” one of the women answered in English. She hung the sparkling honeycomb and took a little bow too.

“I had no idea you could speak Korean” Seunghyun  whispered as he lowered his upper body in a polite salute.

“Neither had I” she quickly answered  turning Seunghyun’s smile into a laughter.

The woman who spoke the first stretched out her arms and he hugged her really tight. He did the same with the other two, and the last of them ruffled his hear winking at him.

“Eomma, imu, Hye-yoon”, he began talking in Korean, “I would like you to meet…” he stopped all of a sudden. He just realized he had no idea what was the name of the girl he carried up to here.

Ugh She lost herself in his eyes when he pierced her sight, but luckily she understood soon enough what he was asking for. She took another deep bow:

“Oh…umm… Annyeong hashimnikka! Ah Rin Nah imnida…”

“Yeah, she is … AR Rin Nah…?” he mostly asked rather than said it. “Please don’t treat her as an outsider and take good care of her” he smiled peeping at the youngest of the girls to whom he reffered as ‘Hye-yoon’.

“We couldn’t even if we’d wanted to” the oldest one said smiling. She turned towards the girl and spoke in a perfect English: “Welcome, darling! Please feel like at home. I’m Seunghyun’s mother, this is his aunt an she is his sister, Hye-yoon”… the woman said but the girl recognized them quite fast and right now she was in awe, not being able to believe that she was actually greeted by Choi Seunghyun’s mother herself.

“Annyeong hashimnikka!” were the only words that kept coming out of .

His mother then said something to him in their language and she turned around to give some explanations to Hye-yoon.

“Ah Rin Nah?” he whispered to her ear when no one was looking anymore.

“I had no idea how to translate Alina in Korean” she answered so sincere he burst into a fost laughter.

Hye-yoon came back carrying a tray with 5 steamy mugs. She served everyone around smiling brightly when she faced Alina. She smiled back tasting the brown liquid. Her eyes widened but she wouldn’t dare to say a word.

“My mum made it” Seunghyun smiled and whispered, making her to hide her content face back inside the big mug.

“Ooh… what a storm…” Hye-yoon suddenly said looking outside the huge glass wall.

“It’s OK, sis” Seunghyun replied “it’s a little snowy but he’ll make it”.

“Ya! You wenchy face! Of course he’ll make it!  This is no storm to stop him!” she smiled a little worried while she gently pet her belly looking at the big, hectic snowflakes.

“I know, but if the planes won’t fly…”  he said again with a challenging smile that cost him a knock on his head.

“Stop it, both of you” their mother stopped them smiling softly. She turned to face Alina: “Do you speak any Korean?” she asked at first in Korean, and after a merely 3 seconds asked again in English.

“Oh… no, not really” Alina blushed. “Only the basics hello, thank you, excuses me…”.

“In this case…” the woman said making everyone stare at her, “we won’t be using any other language than English, even when talking to each other, alright?”

“Yes, mom!” Seunghyun and his sister answered almost shouting like they just received an order from their superior.

“Kamsahmnida!...” Alina whispered.

“…Rin-nah-ah…” she found it pretty difficult to say  Alina’s name since she didn’t even provided her first name too, “…would you like to help us?” asked pointing towards the board box filled with Christmas glass bells and ornaments.

“Of course!” Alina answered jumping up.

Seunghyun lounged himself on the big cozy sofa, watching ‘his women’ as they hung everything on the really beautiful looking Christmas tree.  He wasn’t even realizing he was smiling quite pleased. his cocoa was replaced with a glass of red wine, but right now it was long forgotten in between his fingers.

A sudden bright light hit his eyes. He blinked several times  in awe until the figure of his sister appeared clearly before his eyes.

Hye-yoon started laughing and he pouted.

“What the…”

“Just look at your face!” she mocked him showing the picture she took.

“Why you…” he said stretching over to grab the photo, but before he could, Alina approached  them and leant over Hye’s shoulder to take a peek at it.

“Oh my God, you look stunning…” Alina found herself talking out loud, making both of them smile.

“May I see it?” Seunghyun got up too.

“Sure!” Hye gave him the photo.

“It says instagram on it all over!” he smiled proudly.

“May I…” Hye asked gaining back her cell phone. “Smile please!” she said pointing it towards the both of Alina and Seunghyun.

“Oh, sure!” he grabbed Alina’s shoulder and even though she refused at first, now she was smiling shyly on Hye’s long phone screen.

The doorbell made everyone stop and stare at the door while a maid went to answer it.

“It was about time” Seunghyun’s mother said mostly for her, then she made Hye-yoon follow her to the door, greeting the guests.

Soon enough the house filled up with totally unfamiliar faces, and even the familiar ones couldn’t be found since Seunghyun went to the kitchen to refill his long glass, Hye-yoon cuddled with, most probably, her husband, Seunghyun’s mother was entertaining someone her age.. just Alina was left alone, in the middle of the huge living room, next to the Christmas tree.

Seunghyun carefully chose a a nicely labeled wine bottle and poured it in two crystal-clear glasses. He was about to take them to the next room when a buzz inside his pants made him stop.  He put the glasses back on the table and searched his pants. He quickly glanced towards the door to look after Alina – she was still standing next to the Christmas tree, looking even shyer than before. He smiled and pressed the jumping envelope icon on the small white cellphone.  His eyes widened. He was holding her phone and she just received a reply message to one of her posts on a Bigbang forum.  He squeezed the phone in his hands ready to throw it away but quickly changed his mind and accessed the email.

‘I bet they’re cool in real life’ was the answer to her previous post which he found to be ‘I wish I could meet them in person…” with three little hearts next to it.  He looked for the media folder next. He nearly dropped the phone when  his own pictures hit his eyes. He took a deep sip from the glass, in fact he drank the whole glass at once. Right now he felt betrayed because anyone who was his fan knew he said he’d never date a fan… so she must’ve had pretended to not know him to lure him over? Or she found out recently who he was and looked for information about him and his band? He quickly checked on her forum account: 6th of May 2013… three years ago.   He browsed through her pictures – his and GD’s were the most. Even more, some of Gd’s pictures also had hearts and kisses around him. He drank the second glass too.

He tried to find any other explanation to those he already found but he failed. He scratched the back of his head to give his brain some time to think and looked for her ringtone menu. He grinned as all of his or his band’s hits appeared one after another… among them just a single “Jingle bells” was now set as the main ringtone. Could it be that she changed it because of the Holidays? No! He was certain she tried to trick him. Tears started gathering in his eyes when the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it!” he yelled louder than he should.

He quickly hid the phone back in his pocket and shuffled towards the door. The image of Jiyong from Alina’s phone interfered with the image of the smiling Ji in front of the door. Suddenly his blood rushed to his cheeks and one could almost feel the fire in his eyes. Ji opened up his mouth to say the rightful Christmas cheer, but he couldn’t.

“What the Hell are you doing here?” Seunghyun cut him off.