T-U. 3

Trumped-Up

*Finally! I'm able to update one of my chaptered fics, I'm lazy aren't I? But please do understand the hardships of a graduating college student. I hope this is enough for now, and I'm sorry if not much myungjong happened here, but since next chapters would be about the game proper, you'll see more of myungjong and minjae!

 

When a storm passes, it makes one cower in fear, hoping that the thunder and rain would end soon, but to Sungjong, he’ll rather end up drenched than just stay still and not do anything to make his brother’s llife easier.

After all, they only got each other right now.

“If this happened, you should have called me that night so you wouln’t need to-”

“You’re living in a dorm right now, and you expect me to bother you just to-”

“And you’re calling me your best friend when you can’t even be that honest to tell me-”

“I already told you that there’s no problem with where would we live for now ‘cause my brother’s boss is a kind soul who’ve let us stay here in-”

“That’s why! You wouldn’t mind accepting the help of that guy but not mine? And you say you trust me a lot than-”

“Knock it off, you two!”

The two guys glared at each other one more time before looking at the opposite direction. Sungjong could imagine a wall of fire breaking out between them, and he wondered how this kind of argument start from a single explanation.

And before he could start scolding the two for an hour just to teach them a lesson about how should they give importance to their bond as best friends, Minseok came in carrying a tray full of almond crescents and three cups of cambric tea.

“Here, eat up guys. You’ve worked hard today Sungjong. I’ll leave the locking of the shop later to you okay? Han is still sick and I need to check up on him, or I-”

“Or you would get worried?”

Sungjong feels like laughing when he saw the light tinge of pink of both Minseok’s cheeks, yet he held it back, or he might get scolded as well. He would gladly meet this Luhan though, knowing that he’s the reason why his boss who used to be quite grumpy smiles a lot now. He want to thank him for that, and if ever there really is something blooming between this new guy in town and Minseok, he’ll threaten him to never play with his boss’ heart.

Anyways, he still got his own problems at hand, and one of them is the sudden conflict between his stubborn brother and his hard-headed bestfriend.

“Whatever Sungjong. I’ll go now, take care of the shop.”

“Travel safe boss!”

Returning his attention to the two with his prepared speech, he didn’t expect to see them already bickering and giggling once in a while, eating the prepared snacks and drinks. So that means less one problem. But the real piece of hard work would just start soon, he knows it.

--

“Why do I even need to come here? I already agreed to let you try this out because I totally trust you and Ilhoon, but you even let me tag along with you two?”

“Of course hyung, more people joining, more chances of being picked. And it’s not like you’re the oldest one here. Just look at that guy for example.” Sungjae said in a hushed tone while pointing to a middle-aged guy sitting on one of the benches outside the place of auditions, face full of stubbbles and lips pale, a single unlit cigarette stick played along his calloused fingers.

“That looks like a person who did nothing but stay in front of the computer and in the end became a hermit in his own room. I definitely don’t want to end up like that. Now it’s settled, I’m going home.”

“No you’re not,” the younger ones simultaneously said while holding on to the sleeves of Sungjong’s shirt, that no matter how hard he tries to escape the difference between their physical strength shows.

After a full minute of another debate, he ended up sitting as well, while sandwiched between his younger brother and the best friend, both grinning while still watching out whether Sungjong would try to do another escape act.

The address on the advertisement lead them towards an old villa, which they didn’t expect since it was all about a modern video game after all, but after Ilhoon’s explanation that the place belonged to the Zhang clan, they understood immediately. It was just an interview after all.

And to Sungjong, it felt more like a psychological test rather than a chat of geek persons.

It felt unusual, that he felt wary of the people behind the game, though before he could pull the two boys away after all were done, a sudden ruckus erupted just in front of the main doors, clearly seen to everyone present.

“This is nonsense, ridiculous! Are you even sure that persons on your list have played any rpg before, as in ever? Their occupations doesn’t even tell anything about being a gamer, the way they answered your questions, they’re obviously strangers to this, and then you go putting their names on the list?! What’s the re-”

Before he could continue on blabbering, two huge men in black suits dragged him away despite of his protest and constant hits on the taller one almost carrying him.

“Sorry for the interruption. The guy just now, we found out he’s been sneaking into our computers, getting any information he could leak and make money off, but worry not. I’m sure he won’t come back to bother you all. Anyways, since the interruption has been cleared now, shall we proceed then ladies and gentleman?”

Now standing up waiting for the announcement of those who passed, Sungjong couldn’t get rid of the wariness he’s been feeling since he took a step inside the private property. The man who’s looking at them now one by one even gives an aura of a suppressant, with his undeniably attractive face, gray trench coat and gloved hands on a black cane. He wanted to not hear his name called so that he could go home as soon as possible.

He felt watched, as if somewhere near them lurks another spectator who’s not interested in revealing his self. For now, he would try to look unlikeable as possible just to escape the situation.

And as he’s using his honed skill of acting like a good listener when in fact his mind is flying elsewhere on the other side of the globe, he saw how his little brother smiled widely and hug his best friend enthusiastically, that he knew Sungjae had made it through. Then he noticed other faces wearing the same smile or showing sense of accomplishment one after another.

What he heard next pulled him out of his little world though.

 “Lee Sungjong.”

“Seriously?! Wait, I don’t even play any online games, or video games, or any-!”

He felt a hand clasp his mouth while another pair of arms hold him back from going to the one announcing the results, and he felt like burying a burrow and hide his self there just to avoid the questioning looks given to him by the others who have passed as well.

“Hyung, this is better this way right? We’ve got more chances of winning, and I’m sure Ilhoon here would be on that list, then he’ll help us pass the game so we-”

“Kim Myungsoo. And there’s goes the list. To those who attended today’s interview but was not called, thank you but you have not reached the qualifications we’re looking for. My men will guide you towards the exit. And to those who’ve passed, follow me, and don’t lag behind.”

And if this was a manga, Sungjong was sure he was already a piece of stone stocked in a corner while the other characters are celebrating.

But as they were led by other servants, he realized that his brother was not following, and waving to him goodbye wearing a faint smile is Ilhoon, who left after tapping Sungjae’s head. Before he could call out to his brother though, one of the Zhang’s men pushed him forward. And his brother was pulled along as well.

--

“This is not just about playing that new game, isn’t it?” the one wearing black skirt and shirt with hair tied up in a messy bun, and was named Lee Hayi if he remembered it right, broke the solitude first, looking calm with her straight face yet the right foot that keeps on stomping on her toes shows that she isn’t.

“Of course it’s all about the game, and all of you passing it.”

Walls were painted white, and the room smelled of disinfectant ivory orchids arranged in a crystal vase placed on the far corner, the only piece of decoration within what they think was an office with the long desk and black office chairs surrounding it.

“Well then, since no one else’s got a personal question, I’ll introduce myself first then we can proceed with the explanation of the game simulation.”

As he looked with the other faces present inside the room, Sungjong felt like sinking in his chair just to avoid being recognized as the guy who just shouted in front of the eldest son of the Zhang clan.

“I guess you already know me by my family’s accomplishments, or simply just by the name itself, but for the sake of formalities, I am Choi Seunghyun. And starting today, you’ll be under my care.”

No further explanation was needed after they saw men in black suits, the same people who have been guarding the area even before the interview started, take their steps towards the room’s entrance, blocking out anyone who’ll try to come in and not allowing any of them to leave.

And the guy who call himself Seunghyun took off his eyeglasses and coat, stood up and left the room without a single word.

“This is crazy. Aren’t we supposed to just play the game then receive the payment after passing it? what the hell is this all about?!” the lady in tattered jeans and cropped tee shouted after slamming her hands on the table, and if Sungjong remembered it correctly, she’s called Hyeri.

 Returning his attention to his brother, he saw Sungjae still dazed, that he reached out to squeeze his right hand just to assure him that he was still there.

“I know you feel worried about Ilhoon not making it, but don’t you think he would not get mad at you, right? So stop worrying and win this for him.”

--

A few minutes passed without any exchange of words between the six who’ve passed the interview, and the tension in the room hasn’t dissipated yet. The only girls, Hayi and Hyeri, started to whisper things showing that they found comrade with each other. The remaining boys though were still wary of each other, with the exception of the Lee brothers who kept their silence and looked on their own laps, waiting for further announcement or instruction.

Anything that would make their calm return.

As if an answer to their prayers, the door opened revealing a man on black turtlleneckand black jeans, coal black hair adorning such a pretty face that if not for the flat chest, they would have though it was such an attractive lady that’s standing in front of them at the moment.

“In behalf of Mr. Zhang, let me express our apologies for his suden leave. He has other important matters to attend to. I will be in his place to accommodate your needs and explain the whole game to you. I am Choi Minki, one of the assistants of the Zhang clan, nice to meet you all. Shall we?”

As he led the way, Sungjong who was just in front of the two girls overheard their conversation and he almost laughed seeing how those two take the situation and change in atmosphere reall well, as if it was simply them being on a short vacation leave.

It helps in easing the tension away.

“Seunghyun was my type of guy but with that attitude, nah. That Minki is not that bad either, he’s really a cutie, don’t you agree?”

“Baah, I don’t care about the guys here. I joined for the money, nothing else.”

“But Hayi, earning money might be your main goal, earning a partner in the process, think of it as just a bonus. I’m just sad that none of the boys who’ve passed is my type.”

“With the way you talk, I keep on forgetting that you’re older than me.”

“Eey, never mind the age difference, since i’m not the kind of person who likes to be labeled as an older sister. Don’t mind the honorifics, just drop them, it’s fine.’

“Worry not. I don’t even plan on calling you unnie anyways.”

If it wasn’t for his brother looking gloomy than usual, he would have tried to join the conversation as well, in hopes of gaining new acquaintances.

“Sungjae, don’t you feel well? Tell me if-”

“Hyung, don’t worry. I’m fine. It’s just that… I’d feel better if Ilhoon was here. He’s the one who’s actually interested in experiencing this yet…”

“I know him, and he’s not the kind of person who’ll get angry at you just because you accomplished something that he couldn’t do himself. So, lighten up okay? If there’s someone who shouldn’t be here, that’s me. I don’t even understand until now why I’m chosen.”

“Hyung…”

“Here we are.”

The words from the assistant caught their attention, making them anticipate to what’s behind the tinted glass doors, and as their eyes caught a glimpse of a plain-looking dimly lighted room, walls painted white and six metal chairs in the center, their excitement quickly died down.

Yet as they have entereed completely and the main lights were switched on by Minki, their want to experience the game heightened.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the virtual world simulator for XII.”

Large floating screens surrounds the six seats, all blinking with the words ‘player log-in’ in neon blue. Even the whole room felt like a gian screen, with the walls, floors, and even the ceiling showing images of a night sky in a grassland. It felt surreal, and even Hayi who has been quite uninterested on enjoying the game, even Myungsoo who have looked so serious all throughout the time they were in the residence, started to show attraction towards the new game.

“Before your journey through the virtual world start, I will explain the important matters to consider and keep in mind.”

Paying attention, Sungjong held his brother’s arm tighter, out of nervousness or excitement, he doesn’t know.

“The game consists of 12 levels, represented by the 12 areas. Each entrance, a different kind of façade for each point, will be noted by the special watches that we will attach to each wrist of yours before the game starts, making you gain a map of that region. Each stage is accompanied with a simple task of acquiring a special item that will be revealed upon your arrival in each foyer. You would be able to move according to your will, your clothes though would change based on the stage you’re on. This,” he continued as he pointed at a thin black headphone attached on each seat’s headboard, “…would do the magic for you. All you need to do is not use any form of cheating, to avoind earning penalty. And don’t worry if it feels like you’ve been within the game for more than a day, since time there, doesn’t follow what we’re looking forward here in reality.”

Silence.

“If everything’s clear, you may take bladder break now before we officially start the simulation. Prepare yourselves, then return to this room after about, 15 minutes. See you all later.”

--

Washing his face with running cold water from the faucet just to woke up his mind, he didn’t expect to see one of the players beside him, back leaned on the sink and simply staring at him. His brother has already returned to the assigned room, wanting to take this seriously for the sake of his best friend who could not join their conquest.

“You’re nervous, aren’t you?”

“I guess so… aren’t you nervous as well? You don’t look agitated at all.’

“I am… quite nervous as well, since I don’t pllay this kind of games, but since we already made it here, shouldn’t we just enjoy it together… with the others?”

Sungjong simply nodded and was about  to reach out for the roll of tissue nearby when the other reached out to him, hand holding a neatly piled tissue papers.

“Thank… you?”

“I’ll go first then, see you in a while.”

“Wait… I’m Sungjong. You’re Myungsoo… right?”

“I know who you are. Thanks for remembering my name.”

With a simole wave gesture, Myungsoo left the comfort room silently, leaving Sungjong with a puzzled look on his face. He was sure he hadn’t met that guy, yet it felt like he knows him well with those words.

I hope he’s kind to help us within the game as well.

--

“So… shall we begin?”

As they we’re placed in assigned positions, Sungjong noticed that he wasn’t beside Sungjae anymore. On his right was Hyeri who kept on throwing smiles at Minki’s direction, and on his left is Myungsoo who yawns causually, and throws a glance at him once in a while.

Before he could answer though, the last instruction was given, making him seal his lips to give his full attention.

“Just bear in mind. It is all a game, at the end of the day, nothing of those that you’ll see, and meet, are real. So please don’t confuse the virtual space with the real world and society.”

And as he started to feel like pulled into a vacuum, he heard a voice on his left side, of Myungsoo perhaps, telling about meeting him again on the other side, and weirdly, he felt comfortable because of it.

“Enjoy this once of a lifetime experience.”

 

*I'm a fan of Girl's Day, and Lee Hi and I'm still patiently waiting for a new album from this amazing girl. I think I'll listen to because by her 'cause her voice is just wonderful.

*Let's spread the myungjong love!

#myungjong.never.fades