T-U. 1

Trumped-Up

*First, thanks to my friend for the poem in the start of this chapter, that I have related to, I think this fits this story well and I think you'll agree once you've read the first and the future updates, Life has always been busy, but this week is draining, but I 'll find a way to cope up with the stress and lack of sleep. My friends and I decided to do an outreach to share the blessings of this year, and I hope you share with those you think that deserve it, even a simple greetings for the holidays might lift the spirit of others, so Merry Christmas in advance.

*Enjoy!

 

 

People who are judgmental fear to be judged. People, who are judged, fear to judge.

Happy people are the saddest. Unhappy people are the most experienced.

The wisest are the foolish. The unwise are often mistaken as the smartest.

The most trusted are betrayed. The distrust-worthy have never been betrayed.

People who think deep are the quiet. People who are shallow are talkative.

Great people are mocked. Stupid people are praised.

Good people are less loved. Bad people are loved dearly.

Fake people are admired. Real people are hated.

People who tend to copy the ideas of others are desperate. People who think a lot are determined.

Gossip mongers are insecure. People who avoid gossips are secured.

Life is ironic just how we think how unfair and unequal it is.

So you just might as well keep your mouth shut.

                                                                                                                -K.M.

 

---

 

Rain started to fall, and everything started to cool down, the heat dissipating with every tap on the cobble street. Despite of his cuts and bruises, of his breath deepening, his staggering movements due to the large gash on his forehead that keeps on covering his right eye with a deep shade of red, he kept his pace, not slouching a bit.

Finally, reaching the subway, he sat on the dry pavement and listened to the downpour outside the building. The stairs felt like a long journey, and before he could reach the midway after deciding to keep on with his plans, he almost stumbled and fell but had been able to hold on to the metal side rail. Sitting down once again, he leaned his head on the cemented wall, eyes closing from fatigue and lack of sleep.

There was no other sound occupying the hollow vicinity, just his ragged breathing and the faint sound of raindrops. He imagines the street, of the place he knows by heart now but was abandoned, now full of burnt remains, of signs toppled down, and of ripples on every little ponds brought by the rain.

He felt his knees wobble once he started walking again, but he needs to, because even just a few seconds of lazing could mean his death, and the hopes of those waiting for him past the barrier would be crushed flat as if there’s nothing left at all.

Looking past through all the now dead machines, and the subway without any trace of human, he silently traversed what-seemed to be a never-ending path, and seeing a door that says staffs only with a large symbol known as lambda painted on it using a bright blue paint that seemed to look like cyan to him after blinking again and again, he felt his tensed shoulders relaxed.

He had found one protected area by the 11th assemblage of minders from the region, from the dimension he has been wandering for days now. And by all means, he’ll find a way to meet and join his companions once again.

But before he could take another step, the bright smile was wiped from his face when he felt something prick his bare neck not protected with thick clothes or a simple scarf. And before he lost his consciousness, he saw people clad in black clothes with the same symbol of lambda pinned on their shirts or their pants, and unexpectedly, he was happy to see the same kind as him after wandering for months without any form of communication with them, despite of being treated in their first meeting like a prey trampling on an enemy’s lair.

For now, he followed his instinct to just trust his life to them.

He’s tired of moving on his own anyways.

---

There were only 24 left in their team, of those who’re willing to dedicate the remaining years of their lives on protecting what remained of mankind and trying to return everything towards the civilization to which they grow learning of.  He became a part after being found unharmed by Minghao and Junhui hiding inside the group’s headquarters in the subway.

They started as about 90, of various individuals excellent of their own chosen fields such as medicine or engineering, and they were all enthusiastic during the beginning of the ‘dissolving disease’, working hand in hand and happy to be chosen as one of the made control groups all over the country.

It was all too easy in the beginning, maintaining their own microcosms while their own families are out there, susceptible to be infected by the virus that first spread in the neighboring countries, terrorizing the citizens and caused a huge decline on their populations. And when an infected rich person carrying a dormant parasite reached the country using his own private plane, being able to avoid doing any test for his own good, and letting his selfishness and pride take over, the start of a much harder ruckus made them realize how harsh the disease really is.

Three things could happen to an infected person.

First, he could be simply a carrier, not affected in any way, no changes seen, except for the fact that he’s got in contact with the blood of another infected one, of the parasite using his own wound or even a really small cut as a means of entering its host. Then after accomplishing the task at hand, the parasite dies after laying its eggs that remains dormant on the bloodstream until it is triggered by another means of transfer.

The second one, those that receives the hatchlings that wake up after a new-found host and is scrutinized by them. They consume the nutrients and certain body fluids they meet on their path, then release a material that resembles the human’s own cells and sticks to places nibbled by the parasite. The infected person feel it as  simple body pains and mistakes it for just a simple flu or tiredness from work. Day by day he feels weaker, and after less than a week, his skin turns into a mush of gel-like substance, the keratin  and sin layers underneath losing its elasticity, the muscle beneath and the organs turning into puddle of goo. Everything the parasite did is too overwhelming for the victim to take and survive.

The third, and the most feared one, was of the host being manipulated by the parasite itself, not letting it die until he finds another possible host in any means possible, even if it means hurting his fellow and making sure he acquire his own blood. What made it the most crucial is that, you’ll never be able to trust someone who returns home with a cut, and you’ll fear that he’ll attack you anytime when you let your guard loosen. It makes you feel conscious and edgy, ‘cause he could be someone who’s living with you without showing any signs of wavering health and attention.

With all the panic it had caused, every assemblage started focusing not only on their own strengths but on being the protectors at the same time working together to impose the law and avoid causing a wide-spread panic, but even these strong pillars got their own limit. A single crack and everything changed.

Others started leaving the camp to meet with their families secretly, others died from stopping ransacking of homes and establishments, other died in their own group mates’ hands due to being unluckily infected. The biggest blow was when they needed to travel and leaving all their supplies and comfort zones just to survive.

This was not a mere undead apocalypse taking place, it was parasites able to control chosen hosts if they want, and it was a cunning one. And that means one foot on top of their own graves.

And with all these facts floating within his still sleepy brain, Sungjong couldn’t blame them from not being able to trust their once creator of clothes for every member needing it, especially since he’s not one of them, and when basically he’s there at the moment simply because of a game.

He had always dreamed of being a fashion designer, and he was about to land with a big break at hand when everything started to crumble to pieces. Before he and his brother could take a step forward with fulfilling their dreams, circumstances happened, making them end up in a situation they need to surpass if they want  to return to reality and start anew.

Yet when he thought they could pass the game despite of the little hitches, it’s the time he realized that it’s much more dangerous than it looked like.

A commotion started, making him stick to the group, staying by the sidelines and not coming out of the safe zone. But one day he got foolish from leaving the group to look for any signs of his own little brother, Sungjae, whom he had left in the 10th dimension, while he went on and  was recruited to the Lambda.

And until now, he felt so guilty for leaving him behind in such state of the current zone he’s in and the place he had left his brother with.

When his eyes were fully opened and have adjusted to the lights, he realized that he was in a casket-like glass structure, wearing an oxygen mask and a thin patient’s gown to cover his ness, preventing him from trying to contact anyone outside of it who are now busily working on the laboratory surrounding him. Feeling helpless, he didn’t try to struggle even a bit and just kept his cool.

If he really was infected, he’d be more than willing to be used as a test subject to find the cure against the parasites that’ve done such a wide range of damage.

Outside the laboratory, miles away from where they found him, a few members stayed in the subway area, scouting around it and waiting for any survivors who’s received their message through the radio as well.

And Myungsoo, who came with the same group as him, never felt this frustrated in his life.

---

‘’Minsoo, why did you shoot him?!’’

‘’You’re seriously asking me right now? Anyone could be a host, and I’m not taking any risk of putting myself and my members just because of an attachment, so back away now and don’t try moving him in any way. Sunggyu and his assistants are on their way to pick that boy up.’’

‘’When did you-‘’

‘’I’m always on alert, unlike you, who’s only thinking about his own problems, so don’t try doing any wrong action, ‘cause I won’t think twice with shooting you as well. And him, he’ll stay in the lab until proven uninfected, or if he’s seen as a risk, we’ll never letting him go anywhere until they find a cure. Until then, you’ll stay here in your post and not ask any more questions about our decisions. Remember that we are the only ones who accepted you and your companions who just suddenly came out of nowhere, so if you want to live, follow everything that I say.’’

Sensing the looks others are giving him, he didn’t even flinch and kept on looking at the now sleeping figure who was once a bright person who lifts their spirits up back in the camp. The only mistake Sungjong has done, was that he just love his brother too much to find him despite of the danger that it involves.

And they have taken these much risks, undergone so much pain, feel emotionally battered, for the sake of passing a game they didn’t expected it to be.

So much for earning money and passing boredom.      

He’ll give up anything just for them to return home.

----

Arriving late with another rejected application, he didn’t expect to feel more down by seeing his brother, baggage beside the young man, with tear-streaked cheeks and still damp eyes.

Sungjong, to him, seeing his little brother in gloom is the last of the things he’d wish to witness. Sungjae is the only one left to him, the reason why he kept on working hard and trying to find ways to ease their lives, and he had promised it to his parents before they passed away during an unexpected arson done to their old home, that no matter what, he’ll never let Sungjae be in harm’s place.

‘’Hyung…’’

Running to where the other is sitting, he held his hands tight before gently pulling him into a hug. Sungjong could feel his brother shivering from the cold he was stuck into. But after a while, it was not only because of the nearing winter’s breeze, but of his tears starting to flow out again.

‘’Hush… what happened? Where’s aunt and uncle? They shouldn’t-‘’

‘’They kicked us out hyung,… and them… they took our savings… they have left early and they locked me out ‘cause they want me to be far away from here once they arrive home from the casino… I… I didn’t know where to go so I stayed here to wait for you.’’

‘’Idiot! You should have went to one of your friend’s houses then called me so-‘’

‘’But hyung!? We’ve just stayed here for less than two weeks, I don’t have any acquaintance around here… and… I haven’t made friends with the college I applied to either…. I feel useless when you’re not here to help me… I…’’

‘’It’s fine, we’ll be alright. I’ll ask permission from the café’s owner to let us sleep there just for tonight. Minseok’s a good person, so I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.’’

‘’Hyung,’’ and with his tears starting to lessen, Sungjae snuggled closer to Sungjong’s neck, though it seems like he’s bowing down a little with their height difference. His brother looks so fragile yet he knows how tough Sungjong is, not only because of earning a living for the two of them, but because since they were kids, his brother tend to be the fighter who could cut emotional wounds to the bullies just by speaking and looking at those bigger and stronger ones. When they were much younger than now, his hyung was his superhero, but now he’s his idol for standing up as a father, a mother, and a reliable brother that he could never ask for more. ‘’… how could you be so calm when we’re back to the time we’re at loss again?’’

‘’Well, I’d rather not let you down than stay in a corner and whine about how unfair life is to us. Money, no matter how small, we could pile it up, and no matter how large, we could earn it back. Just think about this, we’re still here for each other right? So until we reach our dream, there’s no giving up, there’s no slacking off. You understand Sungjae?’’

Without saying his heartfelt gratitude for his brother who have always been his anchor and pillar, Sungjae let go, gave him a genuine smile, and took the forgotten bags with him.

They’ll find a way and cope up.

They always found a way.

---

“I think there are thicker linens on the storage room. Just under cabinet where the chocolates for cupcakes and cakes are stocked. You know where to get those, right? And brew yourselves some tea or coffee, I bet you need it. Tonight would be cold but I’m requesting the two of you to not to get too comfortable and displace the ingredients at the back to find a good spot for slumber. I hope you understand Sungjong.”

Minseok, his cheeks blushing from the strong winds, said it all in one go while unlocking the café’s entrance, that made Sungjae thought about how could such a small guy store that much oxygen and speak clearly without taking a pause in between.

He has always been trustworthy, letting his workers borrow money or giving them their payment in advance, as long as they work efficiently and are on time. And he’s very particular with the cleanliness and the positions of items on the café he owns, but since he trust Sungjong as well as much as the other trust him, he felt calm.

“Sorry that I won’t be able to bring you inside, I’m really in a hurry ‘cause Han’s not feeling well so-”

“Lu Han? The exchange student who mistook your apartment as a place he have contacted for a rent? That’s good. Looks like you’ve gotten closer, the two of you. So-”

“Oh, it’s getting really late, I gotta go now. Bye! Take care of yourselves and the café!”

Hurriedly he approached his pitch black motorcycle, waved at them before he wore his helmet and left.

“That guy really avoids questions well.”

“You’re right hyung. Your boss is a good person. Though he seems like kind of a strict one, I suppose.”

“And you my brother, really knows how to read people well. Shall we come in now then? I’ll brew a tea for you.”

Turning on the lights, Sungjong realized that he had not looked this much to every detail within his workplace, that it’s the first time he actually appreciated the beauty of the interior design and the homey aura it gives off. There was a bookshelf at the opposite wall from the entrance door, mostly from Minseok’s own collection of Brown, Hoag, King, and other mystery novelists. The chairs were not extravagant, but looked like weaved heaps of roots, but surprisingly it was comfortable to sit upon; tables were oddly shaped and were mostly made up of driftwoods; there were even an unused fireplace near the bookshelf where a gray  fur carpet is placed in front of it.

He felt like sleeping taking up all these, ‘cause it reminds him of warm bed and hot cup of chocolate in a cabin near the woods where his father brought them every summer when they were just in grade school.

He felt like missing them with the same  pain lingering all over again.

“Hyung, if that’s working, it would have been really cool.”

“It’s just an imitation Sungjae. There’s no chimney for the excess smoke so we’ll be inhaling all the fumes if we tried starting fire here.”

“You remembered it too, right?”

Sungjong just answered back with a smile and a silent nod. His brother has always been a keen observant so he doesn’t try hiding something from him at all since he’ll just find out about it on his own by the end of the day. He was in nostalgia when he was brought back by the sudden standing up of his brother, almost toppling his chair off.

“Right, that’s it!”

“Why? SUngjae you should-”

“I’ve got this classmate of mine who’s a game addict, and he ranted about this new and unreleased video game…”

“And?”

“I heard that there would be a prize given for anyone who could finish its first sample before it’s released to the public. I’ll approach him and ask about the details.”

“But you’ve said so yourself that he’s a gamer right, so that means there would be many like him that would try it out.”

“But as long as I’m willing, there’s no risk in trying at all, right?”

Ruffling his younger brother’s hair and smiling again genuinely, he walked to the counter to brew lemon tea for his brother and Americano for him. After tonight’s sleep, they’ll be stepping on another voyage of struggles with just the two of them.

They know they could make it through.

They always have.

 

 

*I love to make sungjong and sungae as brothers, I even imagine them as related in their past lives. Haha.

*Hope this is enough supply for your daily dose, enjoy the holidays guys!

#kpop.makes.me.smile