Chapter 4

For You [DISCONTINUED]

Chapter 3: 3hours 57minutes and 32seconds 

“I’m sorry it took me so long to call again,” Hoseok apologizes softly, almost like he’s ashamed of himself.

“That’s alright,” I assure him as I press the phone closer to my ear. I want to ask why he had to hang up the first time but there’s no need.

“Someone else has moved into our apartment,” he starts, “I was right by the door when she came out to throw the trash,” he chuckles, “She must have thought I was a stalker.”

I catch myself smiling with him, comforted by his tides of laughter that seem to rise from his throat. I lean my elbow on the armrest, my curled lips pressing against my palm. The sound of his voice is wholehearted against my ear and I note the slight husk. The happiness bubbles in Hoseok’s tone as he describes the new home owner’s expression until finally calming down. He sighs, gently humming in thought. How much I would give to be with him right now.

I snuggle into the nook of my couch, a small haven I have come to know. I can hear the traffic reduce to hushed drones of the occasional vehicle.

“How are you?” he asks, he pauses to tsk, “Really, this time.”

A smile graces my features, “I’m good.”

“You said that this morning.”

“I really am good now though,” I insist, my pitch rising in glee. I purse my lips, embarrassed to be smiling in an empty room but it doesn’t help as they are immediately tugged back up at his shy laughter. When I hear him waiting I open my mouth but am unsure where to start. “I have my own apartment now,” I nod to myself as my eyes wander around the room.

“What’s it like?”

“Small.”

Hoseok gently scowls in faux-irritation. “Describe it for me.”

“Alright.” I straighten up in my seat. I look over my left shoulder where you can instantly spot the door. “I’m on the couch, the door’s too my left and—”

“What colour?”

I raise my brows at his insistence. “The couch is brown and smelly, and the door is light blue. Can’t I just send you a photo later?”

Hoseok whinges lightly and resettles in his seat. “But I want to pretend I’m with you now.” I can imagine him grinning cheesily as I scrunch my nose. He laughs, “I can imagine your expression right now.”

I drop my cringing expression and smile softly into the distance before completely analysing the room and each item in detail, answering each random question Hoseok asks along the way. He ends up asking about the rest of my apartment causing me to walk over to each room, object and corner to meticulously describe everything in painful detail and when we finally finish I’m sure he could draw a blueprint, along with the the interior decoration, of my home.

 

I take a seat on my bed as I listen to Hoseok in turn describe his setting; he’s in a larger, cleaner dorm they moved in a year ago; he’s sharing a room with Jimin and Taehyung, the room is always a mess except for his own desk and bed; there are two bathrooms now, one with blue wallpaper, the other cream; there’s not much food in the fridge and they need to buy a new microwave, Jin would like a coffee machine too; His duvets are blue with white geometric patterns and a plain white pillow case.

“I study visual arts now,” I state after Hoseok finishes and swings his legs onto his bed.

“Sounds just like you,” Hoseok chirps over the crunching of fabric. “Do you work?”

“Yeah I help out at my parent’s restaurant,” I reply. “How about you, how’s work?”

I can still sense Hoseok’s undying passion for music and what he does as he lists Bangtan’s achievements throughout the past two years; counting on his fingers and toes all the countries, states, and cities they had visited, the awards they had won, their crazy schedules and so on. I was so lost just hearing about it I don’t know how he was able to keep up on it all in real time.

“They let you rest though, right?” I murmur.

“Of course,” he laughs softly at my concern, “Don’t worry about me.”

I pout. “Make sure to go to the doctor asap to check on your condition though,” I persist. The accident may have been ages ago, and the wound may have healed but you never know.

“Alright, alright,” he whinges playfully before nagging me to tell him more about my studies and work.

 

We talk for hours about all the things we’ve missed out on, the phone line overfills with endless stories we hadn’t been able to share, we reminisce the past and share familiar moment and feelings. When I begin talking about reuniting with my family, making new friends and other relationships, I can sense him hold back questions behind the gates of gritted teeth.

Moonlight creeps up to shine through my blinds and I find my eyes becoming heavy with each second. Our words begin to slur until we’re sure we may as we just listen to each other’s breathing.

“It’s getting late there, you should get some sleep,” Hoseok whispers tenderly.

I grumble, unwilling to let go of his presence by my ear. “Goodnight,” I mutter regretfully.

“Wait—”

I widen my groggy eyes, humming in reply.

“Are you...” he mumbles off. He clicks his tongue, grumbling under his breath in embarrassment, “Are you seeing anyone?”

My tired eyes widen slightly, but not as much as they would if I were awake, I rub them and blink, pressing back a weak smile. “No,” I admit under my breath yet the bliss is still evident in my tone, “No, I’m not, why?” I mock.

Hoseok laughs and shrugs my questions off, “Goodnight, Ahri.”

I teasingly hiss. “Goodnight, Hoseok.”

Bringing the device down to my lap, I sigh. I don’t realise how thirsty and hungry I am until I wander half-minded to the kitchen. Pouring myself a glass of chilled water, I glance at my phone to check how long the call lasted—03:57:32.

 


A/N: This chapter has been lying in Word for a few weeks and I was hoping it'd grow on me. I'm still rather unsatisfied with it so I feel bad for posting this but something came up and I'm going overseas in a couple days for a few weeks. I thought that I'd rather not want to make you guys wait longer so please bare with me and just take this chapter as a stepping stone to what is to come 

On another note, I recommend these:

cough because I wrote them.