CHAPTER ONE

The Way It Was

CHAPTER ONE

Chanyeol's P.O.V.


"Yo, Byuntae[1]!"

I laugh as both Baekhyun and Jongdae turn around to look at me. I can see Jongdae giving his signature curly smile and Baekhyun already warming up his attack hand to give me a punch in the gut because he knows that nickname is meant for him. I run for it and he chases me.

"Ya ya ya, it's a joke! A joke! Hahahaha"

"Joke or not, you're always being an . C'mere!"

My voice nearly cracks as I laugh harder while Baekhyun chases after me. We circle around Jongdae for a while until I grab him by the shoulders and use him as a shield.

"Jongdae-yah, save me!!!"

"Hahaha you're on your own," he tells me and stands aside to reveal me to Baekhyun.

I put my hands over my head and curve my back. Baekhyun then slaps me, I don't know how many times over, until he's satisfied by the number. After a few seconds, I take a peek and see Baekhyun's crossed his arms and pouting his lips and Jongdae continues to laugh at me. 

"You're so sensitive today, Byun--" Before I could even continue, Baekhyun's glare sharpens and I feel it stabbing me as if there is an invisible blade. "I mean Baekhyun... Byun Baekhyun"

Calling him by his full name saves me another few minutes of life... for now. Baekhyun is a short and cute devilish monster... minus the cute, obviously. When Baekhyun finally calms down, the three of us continue walking to school. It's colder today than it was a few days ago. I take out my gloves to put them on and wrap my scarf once more around my neck to cover my chin. I notice that Baekhyun is folding his arms and tucking his chin to his coat. Didn't he bring a scarf? Why doesn't he ever listen to me even when I'm right about the weather? I unwrap my scarf and plop it on his head.

"What are you doing?" he asks.

"I'm being a nice person."

I flash him a smile and he shakes his head in response while grabbing the scarf and throwing it at my face.

"I'm not some charity case, mate."

"Take it. You're cold."

Even though he keeps rejecting my scarf, I'm able to force him to wear it around his neck. He gives up as he feels it warm up his near-blue face. Although he doesn't say it, I know he's thankful. 

"You know... I can just leave if you want privacy," Jongdae jokes.

"Yaaaaa, what are you saying? Hahaha!" I laugh loudly that the whole neighborhood might have heard.

I turn to look at Baekhyun and he doesn't let out a laugh. Instead he just smiles before he pulls the scarf to cover his lips. Remember when I said he's a short and cute devilish monster? I take back what I said about him not being cute.

"Hey, did you hear we have a new homeroom teacher? Kim-Seonsaeng[2] went into labor so her maternity leave was moved!" explained our class president Kim Junmyeon.

The others ignored him and continued chatting away while I took the news with joy. If Kim-Seonsaeng isn't our homeroom teacher, it's time for me to prank the new one. I think of one of the many ideas I have lying around in my bank of substitute teacher pranks inside my head. 

"Baekhyun-ah, Jongdae-yah, should we exchange names and seats? The new homeroom teacher will be so confused!" I suggest.

Jongdae raises his eyebrow and thinks my idea is stupid, which I argue isn't. Baekhyun chuckles and decides to play along. Jongdae opts out and to be honest, he'll miss out on the fun. The school bell rings. Baekhyun and I exchange seats to commence the prank. The classroom door slides open and a new teacher enters. A familiar face but without a name. Maybe he teaches the lower grades so I know I've seen him around. He's pretty tall. As tall as me maybe? His hair is black and jawline so sharp he could probably cut a piece of paper with it. Our girl classmates are smiling, giggling and whispering. I roll my eyes. Is this seriously the standard of girls nowadays? Why swoon over a 30-year old grandpa when they can ogle over me? 

"Rise!" says our class president.

We stand and bow in unison, gretting our new teacher.

"Okay, sit down."

We all sit at his instruction and he writes his name on the chalkboard. In big letters he writes: JUNG TAEKWON.

"Good morning. I'm your new homeroom teacher. You've probably heard that Kim-Seonsaeng has gone into labor so she'll be on maternity leave until the semester ends. I'll be taking her place until you all graduate. Before we begin, we'll do roll call."

Baekhyun and I exchange glances and try to hold our laughter. Jung-Seonsang calls out the names starting with K[3]... moving his way to B[4] so he's going to call my name first and then Baekhyun. But obviously, that won't happen.

"Park Chanyeol?"

Baekhyun raises his hand.

 "Present!"

"Byun Baekhyun?"

I raise my hand

"Present!"

"Alright. Before I continue, Baekhyun?"

"Yes?" "Yes?"

Unconsciously, we both responded to the name. I give myself a face palm. 

"Aha.. so there are two of you, I see? Baekhyun. Chanyeol. I'm keeping my eye on you two."

The class laughs at us for getting caught. Baekhyun and I just laugh it off though. I guess my brilliant prank wasn't that brilliant and Jongdae is giving me the 'I told you so' look that he enjoys giving me. The teacher finishes his roll call and puts down his clipboard. He starts the lecture he has prepared. After the roll call, I actually don't remember most of what we learned so I'm dozing off fast. 

The school bell rings and it's four in the afternoon! The perfect time of the day when school is over and I am free! Uhm... or so I thought.

"Byun Baekhyun. Park Chanyeol. You two are on cleaning duty," Jung-Seonsaeng tells us after we've already packed our things.

"What?!" "No way!"

"That little stunt you pulled this morning can't be left unpunished, guys. Don't hate me. It's my job to discipline you."

"But Ssaem[5]!" Baekhyun protests.

Even with Baekhyun's puppy dog eyes, it doesn't work on Jung-Seonsaeng and we're still on clean-up duty. Baekhyun takes the mop and I'm on chalkboard cleaning. To ensure that we don't run away on the job, Jung-Seonsaeng sits down on one of the students desks and watches us like a hawk. From time to time I see him staring blankly at Baekhyun who is at the back of the room and I'm in front. Our teacher has a small book in hand and he reads it with focus. But at times when I look over my shoulder, I notice my teacher's eyes go from the book to Baekhyun every few seconds. Is it just me that thinks this is odd?

Baekhyun works his way from the back to the front of the classroom and I am almost done with cleaning the board. I wipe the entire board clean with a wet towel and it's clear of all chalk. Baekhyun wipes off his sweat and is satisfied with his cleaning. 

"Byun. Park. Don't forget to arrange the chairs, okay?"

"Yes, Sir..."

The mis-aligned chairs are returned to their original arrangement and after a few more minutes of intense fixing, we're finally done cleaning up. Although I was busy with the tables and chairs, I could still feel Jung-Seonsaeng was watching us closely.

"Can we go now?" Baekhyun asks.

Our teacher stands up from one of the seats and walks around the room like he owns the place. A couple of nods and an "ok" sign later, we celebrate with a double high five and a bow to our teacher before grabbing our bags and leaving. We walk out the classroom together and finally meet-up with Jongdae at the gate of the school.

"What took you guys so long?"

"That damn teacher made us clean up. Uuughhhh," Baekhyun groans.

"Hey, Baekhyun..." I call for him.

"Yeah?"

"Did you notice anything weird about our new teacher?"

"Weird? Uhhh..."

"Forget it. It's probably nothing."

Baekhyun just shrugs it off then happily puts his arm around Jongdae's shoulder. He shouts 'PC BANG[6]! PC BANG!' and takes us to the PC bang a few blocks over. As the two are chatting, I walk behind them and have an eerie feeling that our teacher is a character we shouldn't deal with. Maybe I'm overreacting but-- the feeling in my gut isn't going away. Maybe I should play a few games to take my mind off this. This is probably nothing.


AUTHOR'S NOTES

Thank you for choosing to read my BaekYeol fanfic! I hope you enjoy it :) I'm not the best writer. Honestly, I'm probably gonna at this. Hahah! But I hope you enjoy it anyways~ I usually write everything in plain English but there are some words that shouldn't be translated and be kept in Korean so at the end of every chapter, there will be a Korean Vocabulary list for you. 

If you are wondering about the timeline. This chapter happens before the Prologue! ^_^ I hope you're not too confused. 

Subscribe~ Comment~ Upvote~ Hope you liked it. There will be mature themes soon. Next chapter maybe? Stay tuned!

 

KOREAN VOCABULARY / TRANSLATIONS

[1] Byuntae (n.) = ert / Chanyeol used Baekhyun's last name 'Byun' to make 'Byuntae'

[2] Seonsaeng (n.) = Teacher / Used as a suffix of a person's name to give them the title of "Teacher" or commonly "Mr./Ms./Mrs." with their last name

[3] Korean class roll call starts with "K" giyeok (ㄱ: 강, 김...) and ends with "H" hieut (ㅎ: 하,호...) because this is how Korean consonants are arranged... same as English ABC.

[4] B for bieub (ㅂ: 박, 변...) Park and Byun are spelled with the same Korean consonant ㅂ but for easier English reading, they make 박 Park and 변 Byun (Byeon)

[5] Ssaem (n.) = Slang for "Teacher"

[6] PC Bang (n.) = A PC room or a PC game place / High School kids often go these places after school