fireflies

I am free

Dinner ended 10 minutes later and Mr Wu announced about planning to build a new water fountain on the garden for decoration before dismissing them.

“What makes that old fart thought about building a new fountain?” Chanyeol was the first one to open his mouth when they exit the cafeteria.

They shrugged their shoulder. Kyungsoo on the other hand just stared at the floor. He still feels a bit awkward about his new ‘friends’.

On the bright side, the tiles here are very clean.

“Hey, Kyungsoo…” the tall boy wrapped an arm around Kyungsoo’s small shoulder. “Just tell me if anything is wrong. We’ll help you.” He patted his back.

Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to do or say.

He doesn’t even know if he can trust this guy.

To trust or not to trust?

“Soo?” Chanyeol shook him out from his daze.

“Y-yes?” His eyes widen.

“Are you okay?” The tall boy stopped walking and stood In front of the smaller boy, both hands grabbing his shoulders.

“Y-yea…” he bobbed his head carefully.

“…” Chanyeol let go of him before looking at his surroundings. “you guys can head back to the room without me.” He told the other 4. “As for you,” he stared at Kyungsoo’s big eyes, “Come with me.”

Kyungsoo can’t register anything when Chanyeol grabbed his hand and lead him to a door.

What’s behind the door?

‘Kyungsoo, run.’ The voice in his head told him.

Kyungsoo tried to wriggle his hand free from the giant’s grip. Chanyeol eventually noticed and stopped when they’re at the door. “What’s wrong?”

“W-where are you t-taking me!” he pulled his hand away but Chanyeol grabbed it again and tighten his grip.

“Uh…” he opened the door which revealed a beautiful night scene garden surrounded by white fences and the lights illuminated from the dark tall lamp posts.   “…the garden?”

Kyungsoo relaxed. Maybe it’s just his instinct talking.

He smiled awkwardly when he realised he overreacted. “O-oh….”

“It’s okay.  You need to relax.” Chanyeol loosened his grip, “Come on.”

Once again, Chanyeol pulled his hand to lead him. They sat on a white bench that’s facing the colourful flower.

They sat for a while, relaxing as they let the cool breeze hit their face.

“Beautiful scene isn’t it?” Chanyeol said while looking at Kyungsoo who’s admiring the nature’s beauty.

“Yes…” Kyungsoo subconsciously sighed.

It was very nice. Never in his life had he seen such beauty. He always scared at night especially outside. But this is wow.

“See those?” Chanyeol pointed at the flying blinking lights and Kyungsoo nodded, “those are fireflies. I always like to catch them when I was a kid. Put them in a jar and somehow I always forgot to put small holes on the lid.” He rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, “They died.”

“Oh…” Kyungsoo wanted to laugh but he doesn’t know if it’s polite or not so he just let it be. “Well, for me they are better far away than up close.”

Yea, no kidding.

They were pretty when you look at their lights appeared and disappeared in the darkness but imagine them crawling on your skin. Just the thought of that made his hair stand.

Speaking of fireflies, it kind of reminded him about someone. Someone mysterious. Someone playful.

Someone that appear and disappear.

Kim Jongin.

It’s hard to know if he’s real, or his mind’s playing with him.

How come he can disappear one second he’s not looking?

Suddenly he felt something crawled on his arm. He shrieked not so manly when he realised not only one but two fireflies on his hand crawling like they’re doing their mating dance.

“W-what’s wrong?” Chanyeol shot up from the bench to get a better view of Kyungsoo’s trembling body.

“G-get it off me!” he extended his right arm where the fireflies are dancing.

“Oh,” Chanyeol chuckled and gently swept the fireflies off his arm.

Kyungsoo retracted his hand and hugged his knees; he takes back about the beauty of nature.

Chanyeol was still chuckling when he took a seat on the bench. “You okay?” He patted his back.

Kyungsoo nodded but his whole body was still shaking.

“Are you cold?” Chanyeol asked. “Here.” He took off his jacket that he was wearing since he was in the cafeteria and placed it on Kyungsoo’s small body.

“T-thanks…”

He really appreciates Chanyeol’s company, he really does. But his body just won’t stop shaking. It wasn’t from the cold weather, it was the bugs that-

He can’t continue to think when his body was wrapped by two warm arms.

Chanyeol is hugging him.

Suddenly, the dogs’ loud howl was heard from a distance, and it made Kyungsoo’s body shook more.

“Woah, we better get inside.” The tall giant’s hand slipped into his and pulled him to enter the building.

What they didn’t know is that there’s two pair of eyes watching them in the darkness.

 


Author's note

Double update :D

And yes. TWO pairs of eyes.