Five

All That Was Lost

 

 

“What? You’re leaving? Out of town-”

“No, Minho. I’m going back.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I don’t know, we’ve only just met and-”

“So you were just going to casually spill it out two days before your flight, is that it?”

You remember just staring at him, mostly stunned because did he really have to bring up the past? It bought back so many feelings, and to think that ten years would have made it easier, it didn’t. Time doesn’t heal, the pain is still there but you just kind of get used to it. Sure, you understood where he was coming from, you accepted his anger back then when you told him that you were leaving in just a few days, when you knew about it months before. He said he would have done things differently if he knew, like stop picking fights with you, or just hang out with you instead of getting caught up with his music.

To actually hear it from him, after all these years, you realize how truly hurt he was. You were angry at him, angry because you wished he understood, angry for his accusing tone when really, he had all the right to blame you. But he wasn’t the only one, because you were hurting too. So much so you didn’t want to tell him, just so that your remaining days with him were those of happy memories. Skipping those conversations that would start with ‘you know I’ll miss’ or ‘oh I won’t have anyone to’ or the most deadly of all, ‘can’t you just stay?’ 

But this was different, one because you weren’t leaving in just two days, two because you’d only just spend time with him for a little while, no feelings involved- right?

It was the most pathetic lie you’ve ever tried to convince yourself, because if there weren’t any, you certainly wouldn’t be in tears, on the floor of your apartment with your back against the door. Being with him in that car felt suffocating, the second you stepped out, your lungs were screaming for air. You didn’t bother wishing him goodnight, the fact that you were too overwhelmed with the sudden surge of your god damned feelings.

Yet you couldn’t help but wonder if you over reacted, if your emotions clouded your better judgement. He spilled his feelings out for you, and asked you to be with him. You realize that there was nothing wrong to how he reacted when all you could say to him was that you’re leaving soon.

Should I call to apologize? 

A few minutes passed as you mull over your decision to call him, to which you decide not to, simply for the reason that you still needed time to regain your composure. Exhaustion finally hits you, feeling weak in the knees as you stood up, shoving your stuff onto the kitchen counter.

 

~

 

The pads of your fingers wrinkled, a sign that you’ve been in the shower for a little too long. Turning off the tap, you shiver as cold air hits you, tiptoeing towards the steamed bathroom mirror. Your ears perked at the sound of something unfamiliar,

Is that the bell?

It was the first time you’ve heard of the sound, considering how you’ve never had guests over, except for that time Minho-

You stood there for a while, thinking if it could really be him since he was the only person that would most likely come by, judging from past experiences. Scurrying out into the living room, you approach the main door cautiously. It rang the second time, and you continued to stand there before turning down the lock, taking a slight peek outside.

Minho stood before you, looking at you through heavy lids. He looks worn out, disheveled hair, and you wonder if he’d been crying.

“Hear me out?” His voice was thick, and you notice how he was still in the same clothes as before. It was somewhat hard to see him this way, almost forgetting how much you wanted to scream at him just a few hours ago. You nod passively, stepping to the side to let him in.

He hardly gave you enough time to say how sorry you were, as he took your hands to pull you into his embrace. You realize how you’d gone out still in your bathrobe, with damp hair that stained his shirt as your cheeks greeted his chest.

“Fine. Leave.” He gulps, “But be with me- for now. Before you go, be with me.”

His voice was quiet, and you sense the urgency in his tone, almost as if he was begging. These kind of things were supposed to be thrilling, wasn’t it? Just how long awaited confessions should be. Yet this made your heart ache, and you wanted so much to say yes but you didn’t know why you couldn’t bring yourself to.

“I don’t think I can live with myself, if we didn’t give this a try.” You feel his arms, tight around your frame.

“But what happens when I leave, Minho-ah.” Your voice cracked as you spoke, “What happens then?” You pull away from him, and you see him let out a smile.

“I don’t know, honestly.” He brushes your hair away, wanting to see your face better. “But, I’ll love you just the same. With or without you here.”

Helpless, you feel a smile escape your lips as you take in his words. His thumb was lightly brushing your suddenly flushed cheeks and he laughs seeing your reaction. You see his eyes trail down, stopping just above your lips, darting back to meet your gaze. He moves closer, flustered, you stagger back onto the wall a few steps behind.

That was when your lips met his, pressed softly for a few moments, like an overdue greeting, something that should have happened long before. You feel him smile, the second he feels you limp, loosing feeling in your knees as you melt into his hold. Minho steadies you, pushing you against the wall, bending down to meet you comfortably. He paced along with you, kissing you again and again and again. Through parted lips, and the touch of warm tongues, you couldn’t quite describe the feeling. But it was clear to Minho how you were on your toes and his hair through your fingers, that he wasn’t the only one on cloud nine.

Soon after, you found yourself ing his shirt in a hurry, and he grabs your wrist, amused.

“Whoa, slow down.” He chuckles, giving your cheeks a peck, one too many. He gives you a look, and you could tell how he was questioning you.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” You breathe out, you’ve turned red and just as your lips were. He finds you adorable even at a time like this, messy hair and bright eyed.

 

~

 

Minho stirred in his sleep, greeted by sunlight that streamed in through the bedroom blinds. It took him a few seconds to register where he was, until he saw how a beautiful girl has pretty much hogged most of the blanket. He could feel the heat rising in his face, seeing you still fast asleep, one arm over your head and how the covers were anything but covering. He certainly didn’t mind it last night, but seeing you this way, without you knowing, feels different. Shifting closer to you, he closes up the covers up to your chin, freezing in place as you shuffle closer to him. Minho looks down to see you huddled to his chest, your eyes fluttering against your lids as you slept. He catches your scent, sweet, just as you did last night, tinged with the exhaustion of intimacy. 

The sound of his ringtone fleeted from the living room, startled, he heaves himself off the bed, careful not to wake you. He walks quickly, eyes scanning the place, still not quite sure where he’d left his phone. And when he did, Seungyoon’s name flashed repeatedly,

“Yeah, hello-”

“Ya, where are you?”

“Seoul.”

“Ha ha, smart - did you forget we had a schedule-”

“-”

“Yeah, I you not-”

Ending the call before Seungyoon nags even further, he scrambles, picking up his clothes that were strewn here and there. He bit back a smile as he recalls last night’s event, how irritated you were for the clothes on his back. How he had it easy, the fact that he only needed to take one thing off you and that was it. “I was in the shower for goodness sake!” 

He walks back in quietly into your room, only to see you, towards him as you sat at the edge of the bed. Your hair tousled to one side, and he wanted nothing more to trail kisses down your shoulders, hooking his chin to the crook of your neck. Which he did, catching you off guard.

“I thought you left.” You rasp, pulling the covers over yourself, alarmed because you never imagined to be this stripped in front of him. Which was funny, seeing how that was the least of your worries last night.

“I was going to.” He grins at you, eyes disappearing into a mischievous smile of their own.

“To think that you were somewhat decent.” You narrow your eyes at him, nudging him away.

“I actually have a schedule, which I completely forgot about. No thanks to you.” He lets out a husky laugh, tucking in strands of hair behind your ears.

“What? When- oh god.” Your eyes must have doubled in size, standing up to face him, hands still clutching the covers to your chest.

“I’ll see you later?” He hums, he looks so happy, different to how you first saw him last night. The situation was oddly similar, seeing how he was fully dressed and you, barely. Your eyes glazed over his thick thighs as he lifts himself off the bed, looking away almost immediately finding yourself quite embarrassed.

“Y-yeah.”

“I’m sorry, I know it’s ty of me. I would stay-”

“You’re late, Minho-ah.” You pressed, worried because you know he’s probably going to get quite an earful from s.

“I know but-”

“You haven’t changed one bit, Song Minho.” You laugh quietly, and Minho stood there staring at how the light bounces off the curve of your shoulders. He remembers how soft your skin was, and the freckles that scattered down your back, and how his name sounded like when uttered during pure ecstasy.

“Minho!” 

“Yeah, okay. Fine.” He grumbles, and it was adorable how he was sulking, you wonder if he was the same person, the same one who had you begging shamelessly and all kinds of frustrated. “At least follow me out?” He an eyebrow, motioning his head out.

The sight of him does things to you, he could be this cute little bean to a rude little , the next second. He was gorgeous, even with that bedhead of his and swollen lips, that you weren’t exactly sorry for.

“Hang on, I just need to find-”

“It’s not like I haven’t seen anything.”

He really did try to bite back that smirk, seeing your face flushed at his remark. But to his horror,

“Oh?” He sees that glint in your eyes, and just as you were about to drop everything,

“No. Don’t you ing dare, I have work.”

You see him walk out of there briskly, a smile on your face, amazed at how much effect you had on him. Following him out, he comes running back to you and before you could tell him off, he takes your face into his firm hands, leaning in for a kiss.

“I love you.”

Or something like that.

He gives you that lopsided smile, before leaving you, light-headed, knowing fully well that he was going to ruin you, more than you already were.

 

~