Epilogue

All That Was Lost

 

It was way too early to be feeling this way. Right, you couldn’t even find the exact word that seemed fitting. You’d gone past feeling weak in the knees, as you slumped down on the cold bathroom floor. Pulling your quivering knees up for a hug, you could feel your heart thudding frantically against your chest.

Okay, okay. Calm down, maybe you saw it wrong?

You gulped nervously, eyes fixed onto the sink ahead.

Maybe you should’ve waited longer.

Right, maybe it changed.

.

You could feel your breath, quick and warm on the back of your palm as you mindlessly bit your nails. Panic floods through you, and you couldn’t bring yourself to go back and see if the results had actually changed.

It felt like forever until you realized that you were going to have to see it anyway, so you it up and tiptoed back towards the sink. There was no time to mentally prepare yourself right now, and it dawned on you that even the next nine months weren’t going to do the trick either.

Your hand trembled as you felt around the ceramic plate, still refusing to look down. Biting your lips as you took a sharp breath, you blinked hard as you brought up the test stick into view.

It didn’t change.

The two red lines were even more visible than the first time, and suddenly time stood still. All you could think of was Minho; failing to get around how you were ever going to tell him.

He was due to leave for tour in a week, and it hasn’t even been a month since the two of you moved in together. You twisted the silver band that he’d placed on your ring finger- which you had trouble believing still. And now it was this, you’d wish that life would slow down just for a while, just enough for you to recover and take a little breather.

“Hey, you okay in there?” His voice still groggy with sleep, he’d turn down the handle after hearing no answer from you. “Do you need anything? Heating pad?”

A stiff smile escaped your lips, he’d assumed you were going through that time of month. It definitely wasn’t something he needed to worry for a while now, by the look of things.

“Come here.”

You sat him down by the edge of the bath tub, and he looks up at you, face still puffy from his sleep. He was clueless, just as always, and you gave him the biggest smile.

“You’re awfully happy this morning.” He says, pulling you into the space between his legs.

You really were just trying to ease your nerves, just so that he wouldn’t be so freaked out once you tell him the news. But knowing how dramatic he could be, you were only asking for so much.

The words stuck to your tongue, yet you didn’t know how to begin. So you took his hand, placing the tissue wrapped pregnancy test onto his open palm. Minho tipped his chin up, and you see his lash flutter as his eyes dart from you and the object he was holding.

“What is…?” He asks quietly, lips parted and you could see the confusion in his face.

“Just- open it.” You pressed your lips together, giving him a soft nod.

Minho had his head down, even after he’d set the tissues aside. He held the stick on either sides, and he stayed that way for some time.

“How did this happen?” His voice cracked the silence.

Oh you tell me.

“I think it’s a little too late to give you the talk now, Minho.”

“I know, but-”

“But nothing, it is what it is.” You cried out a whisper, somehow upset by his reaction. Shifting aside, you walked away, trying to keep it together.

“I’m just as scared as you are right now, please don’t be like this.” He pleads, grabbing you by the wrist. “I’m here, I won’t go anywhere.”

“You married me, Song Minho.” You gape at him, “You had thoughts of leaving now?”

He pulls you back to him, resting his hands on either side of your waist. You feel his palms sliding underneath the material of your shirt, stopping to lightly brush his thumb across your stomach.

“So, like you’re saying there will be another one of me?” His eyes creased into a smile of their own as he quirks a grin.

“Well technically, he or she will be half you and half me-”

“That is so cool.”

You sputter out an amused laugh, unable to comprehend that this person before you will be a father of your child, when he, himself is still a child at heart. 

“Don’t you think so?” He joins in, infected by the sound of your laughter. “It’s amazing.”

“It is, isn’t it?”

Maybe this is what fate was. After waiting for what seemed like your entire lifetime, you’d even accepted the fact that it was never meant to be.

But it was, in every possible way.

Every frustrating possible way, you’d find your way back to him, and him to you.

And it was like life just couldn’t wait any longer, as it threw out all these things from out of the blue. Sort of like a way to make it up to the both of you. A way to apologize for the separation, one times too many. A way to say sorry for all the god damned waiting.

 

~