Two

All That Was Lost

 

 

Minho didn’t want to come off as pretentious as he covered up the best he could before getting on the scheduled train. It was ironic how he didn’t want to risk getting noticed yet he’s out and about taking public transportation. But he missed the city, and the places he never got to see properly and so when it was informed that he has no schedule for today, he took off on his own.

He stood amongst salarymen, avoiding younger passengers or anyone that might recognize him. A part of him felt guilty, because he adores his fans but today he just needed that space for himself.

It was probably twenty minutes into the journey when he spotted her. She took a seat across him, and he couldn’t stop staring because there was just something peculiar about the girl. She had her hair down, wavy locks settling just below her shoulders, a pair of specs rested on top of her head. Convinced he’s seen those bright eyes before, she looks so familiar but his mind just couldn’t pin point it just yet.

People started to get on, filling the space that allowed him to study her. It wasn’t until he heard her voice,

“No it’s really okay, please sit down.”

Minho shifted almost immediately, craning his neck to get a good look at her. She was on her feet, almost on her toes to be exact as she reached up towards the handles above her. A smile crept behind his mask, the fact that she’d given up her seat for someone else, even when she could barely stand without falling. He was certain he knew her voice, it triggered something in his brain, an old memory.

It can’t be.

He stood up as the train nears to a halt, worried that this was her last stop. She turns around to face him, shifting towards the exit at the side he was at. His heart must’ve stopped for a second or two, as she was close enough for him to confirm that this was… you.

Minho couldn’t quite catch his breath- or his thoughts, finding the situation hard to grasp. As people gathered towards the door, he manages to utter out your name just as the door opens. You must have heard it, seeing you react, alert at the sound of your name in a midst of people you didn’t know. Minho catches your eyes, only to have you look away, still searching. He calls out for the second time, and he could feel his heart race as you finally lock your gaze into his.

You blink at him, a soft expression on your face. He couldn’t blame you for not recognizing him considering what he had on. But it ended just as quick as it started, as the mass of people forced you to take your exit. Minho was powerless as he stood at the side, unable to squeeze through the sudden chaos. He turns around facing the window, eyes frantically searching for you through the crowd.

 

~

 

“Hyung!”

Minho breaks off from his string of thoughts hearing Taehyun shout, the youngest had his head poking out from the studio.

“How was that part? Okay?” Taehyun hovers towards him who sat outside in the control room, barely paying attention.

“Hm?”

“Ah hyung, are you not feeling well?” Taehyun leans against the table as he looks at Minho, face slightly concerned. 

“I’m fine, Taehyun-ah.” Minho says quietly, letting out a small smile.

“Sure? You seem out of it lately.” The youngest quizzes, squinting at his hyung, not buying any of it.

“Tae- what would you do if you saw someone you haven’t seen in a long time?” Minho shifts his weight, turning the chair around to face Taehyun.

“That depends on how close we were, if I like them or not.” Taehyun mutters, eyebrows drooping further as he gave the question a thought.

“Right?”

“Who’s the girl?” Taehyun shoots at him, curious why Minho’s behaviour have been weirdly unusual for the past week or so. 

“Ya- what girl. Get back in there.” Minho clicks his tongue, brushing off his fellow member as he turns around towards the monitor.

“I’ve seen you cry watching a chick flick, hyung. I don’t see this being any different. So when did you see her?” Taehyun chuckles at Minho’s effort to hide whatever it was, failing miserably.

“Two weeks ago.” Minho lets out a long sigh, resting his forehead on one palm.

“Goodness… seeing how you’ve been moping about the past week, then you should’ve went up to her.” He nudges Minho with a slight punch by the shoulder.

He’s never seen the rapper act this way, it was out of his character and Taehyun wonders who this girl is that had this much of an effect on Minho. Sure, they’ve had a few girl problems here and there throughout the years, but Minho have always played it off coolly, never getting it in the way of work.

Maybe this is it, this is the one that made him that way. This was why Minho barely takes his love life seriously which was fine really, considering their age and their job. But, whenever one of them touches the issue, he would always say that he’s still got so much to do, and how- “I appreciate the concern, but I can barely take care of myself, how am I suppose to take care of someone else?” Minho could easily pick anyone out, yet he’s been so oblivious to it he’d laugh it off whenever someone shows any interest in him.

“I did, I called out her name.”

“And?”

“She didn’t know who I was.”

“What? How long is a long time exactly?”

Years, Tae.”

Taehyun said nothing, he knew then that this was something that meant a lot to Minho. It’s been that long and he’s still not over it? 

 

~

 

Song Minho

He was stuck in the back of your mind after the incident at the station two weeks ago, wondering if that was really him. Page after page of endless results were generated seconds after you entered his name into the search box. It was safe to say that your knowledge of the korean music industry have gone rather rusty since you left. You weren’t entirely clueless, but browsing his name for the first time made you realize the things you missed out on. You learned that he’s part of a five member idol group called Winner and- wow, you clean up pretty good, Minho-ah. It really was no joke how the industry could polish up these idols to perfection, it was unreal.

The sound of thunder rumbled from a distance, and your eyes drifted out the office window, sighing to yourself as you see the sudden downpour. It was past office hours, and you sat there for a further ten minutes trying to remember where the umbrella was.

You stood up hastily, grabbing your things because- Screw it, it’s friday. I need to do the laundry anyway. The sound of your hurried footsteps echoed through the building, running in hopes to avoid a heavier rainfall. You make a run for it towards the usual pedestrian crossing, pulling the collar of your coat over your head. You laughed to yourself as you huddled under the security of your coat, people must think you’ve lost it running around through a rainstorm. There was no one in sight as you got to the bus stop, the benches were drenched as rain splattered from the sides. You leaned against the rails, pulling your phone at the sound of a notification.

 

Hi there :)

I know it’s been a while and honestly, I don’t even know if you still remember me. I have no idea how to get in touch with you except for this old email address that might be inactive, but I think it’s worth a try.

This may sound crazy, but are you in Seoul by any chance? I’m sorry, I know that it’s out of the blue, but I might be seeing things? I’d love to explain this to you if I get the chance. I hope you’re doing well, wherever you are.

Song Minho

 

Your eyes burned as you stare at the email far too long. How did he manage to get a hold of this address, has he kept all those messages? An amused smile crawled across your face, it was absurd for him to think that you had forgotten him. Of course I still remember you, you idiot. You weren’t sure what to make of the phone number he left at the end of the message, but your eyes refused to budge from it.

Your fingers seemed heavy as you tap the digits into your phone, pausing for a few moments, asking yourself if this was really necessary. Countless questions crossed your mind, and you wonder why you were fretting so much. Minho was just a friend, who was reaching out to a friend. So what’s the fuss about? You decided to give him a call after convincing yourself that there are other ways to die.

The line must have rung three times, before it was answered.

“Hello?”

His voice was deep, strong- the same one that you heard back in that train two weeks ago. It took you so much by surprise that he repeated himself through your silence.

“Minho? Song Minho?” You manage to breathe out.

“Yeah this is him. Who is-”

You hear a pause, almost hanging up because your nerves were on fire.

“The email? You-”

“Yeah, I’ve… read it, Minho-ah.” You say softly, you held back a laugh as you hear him stutter his words.

“I thought-” He lets out a hoarse laugh, unable to finish his sentence. You smile ear to ear at the sound of it, still the same, just as you remember it to be.

“I’m in Seoul, if that’s what you were wondering.” You say, not realizing that you’ve missed your bus.

“You are? I’ve not gone entirely crazy then.” You could almost see him smiling as he sounded so delighted. “Wow- you’re in Seoul.”

“Yeah, I am.” You let out a small laugh, amused.

“Where are you?”

 

~