Zoo Escape

Fic Fest Entries

Written for KissFanxing 2016. Surprisingly this was the most well received with the most comments even though this was mainly for my own amusement. Hope you guys enjoy:)

Luhan sighs dreamily and stares at the Arctic seal enclosure longingly. The Arctic seal squished up against the glass looks so pretty with his pure white coat and cute snout.

"Shoo, go away. Go back to your parents Luhan." Yifan waves his hands at the little black and white chick waddling towards the glass of the enclosure. From the penguin enclosure, Yifan could see all the way to the enclosure for the Arctic seals. Luhan cheeps and squawks and dodges around Yifan to press his beak longingly on the glass. Yifan turns to look and he catches the cute boy who works with the seals smiling at him. He smiles and waves. The boy waves back before an arctic seal bumps its nose at the bucket held in his hand and he almost loses his balance.

Yifan stifles a laugh and nudges Luhan with his foot. The penguin chick barely reacts, too entranced by whatever it is that he is staring at. "Hey, get back to your parents." Yifan bends down and scoops the penguin chick in his hands. Luhan protests loudly, wriggling and flapping his wings desperately. He squeaks and squawks, calling out towards the Arctic seal enclosure as Yifan carries him away, back towards his nest.

Yixing tosses fish into the pool and flinches back when the seals dive for them, splattering water everywhere. The guy who works with the penguins had just waved back at him after days of them just smiling awkwardly at each other and he is feeling very good at the moment. He reaches up to tug at the collar of his white shirt and walks towards the lone seal pup curled up and looking mournfully in the direction of the penguin enclosure. "Come on Minseok. It's lunch time." He nudges the pup gently and holds a fish by its tail in front of him. Minseok looks up at him then back at the penguin enclosure. 

He barks sadly when he sees that the penguin chick is now being carried away by the tall blonde keeper. "C'mon Minseok. Don't you want fish?" Yixing dangles the fish in front of the pup, trying to catch his attention. Minseok ignores him and continues looking towards the penguin enclosure.

Yifan looks over towards the Arctic seals and hides a smile when he sees the keeper trying to entice the seal pup that Luhan is so enamored by with fish. The keeper rubs at the seal's snout with the fish and Yifan bursts out laughing when the seal pup lunges at the keeper and he slips, hands wind milling before he is falling backwards into the pool with a huge splash.

"Woah!!" Yixing cries when he falls backwards and into the pool, cold water drenching him. He struggles to get to the surface, clothes weighing him down. The pool is deep, in order to give the seals enough space to swim around. He thanks god that most of the seals were on the opposite shore or he could have been in a lot of trouble. He drags himself out of the water, soaked to the bone. His white shirt has gone translucent, and he realizes belatedly that the keeper of the penguins is staring in his direction. 

Yifan's laughter trails off when he sees the keeper drag himself back onto land. The white shirt he had been wearing has gone translucent, giving him a very good view of milky white skin and a solid eight pack. Yifan's mouth goes dry when the boy looks up at him, hair matted and wet. They stare at each other like that for what seems like an eternity when Yifan hears a happy clucking sound. 

Luhan the penguin chick is waddling away right in front of his eyes, through the glass of the penguin enclosure. Yifan blinks and rubs at his eyes. He blinks and determines that yes, that is Luhan and yes, the penguin has just escaped before his very eyes. Yifan stands there in shock before the scraping of metal jolts him back. "What are you staring at?" Joonmyun, his coworker calls from where he is just closing the gate of the enclosure behind him. "Luhan just..." Yifan breaks into a run and heaves open the gate of the enclosure. 

Yixing, who had not seen the penguin escape, looks down sadly at himself. "Am I really that bad looking?" He asks Minseok, who is currently crooning sadly beside him. 

Luhan trumpets loudly as he waddles as quickly as he can towards the seal enclosure. He manages to slip through the staff only door and into the enclosure itself. There, he stands, trumpeting loudly at Minseok. Minseok's eyes light up when he sees Luhan standing at the entrance of the enclosure and he barks excitedly, pushing himself off and trying to run on the slippery ice towards Luhan. Yixing has barely turned his head to see what was going on when Minseok bumps hard into him and causes him to slip again on the ice and plunge backwards into the icy waters of the pool.

Yifan arrives just in time to see Yixing fall backwards screaming, into the pool, causing a massive splash. The seals on the other end of the pool look up and start swimming for Yixing, who is thrashing in the water. Yifan slips and stumbles but manages to reach the edge of the pool and holds his hand out for Yixing to take. Minseok catches Luhan's eye and tips his tail mischievously. Yifan yells in surprise when he is pushed from behind and falls face first into the pool as well. 

The water is shockingly cold as Yifan kicks and struggles to stay afloat. He spies Luhan cuddling up to a seal when he comes up for air, Yixing thrashing wildly next to him. "Help!" He turns and ducks underwater, catching Yixing by the waist and dragging him up to the surface. "This is not how I wanted to ask you out." He gasps as he pulls Yixing close to his chest and strikes out for the shore. Yixing clings to him gasping. His energy had already been sapped to nothing by the unplanned swim he had taken earlier because of the cold. He can barely keep his hands around Yifan. Shivering wildly from the cold, Yifan manages to drag the both of them up the bank of the pool before the party of seals arrive upon them or it would have become a terrible terrible situation.

Yixing curls up against Yifan on the ice, gasping and panting. Yifan has his arms around him and is in a similar state. "I...I... Thank you." Yixing gasps, fingers curled tightly in Yifan's soaking wet shirt. Yifan tries to keep his gaze from wandering down to Yixing's body, the water having turned his shirt translucent again. They are staring at each other, lips parted and panting slightly when Yixing dips his head down and captures Yifan's lips in his. Yifan freezes in shock. “This isn't the way I wanted to ask you out either." Yixing breathes against his lips. 

"Hey guys, Joonmyun hyung reported that a penguin... Oh." The two of them turn their heads and sees Jongdae taking in the sight of Yixing practically lying on top of Yifan in a translucent shirt. Jongdae bites his lips and slowly backs away. "I'll just leave you guys to it. I did not just see that, I did not just see that...” He chants as he practically flees the enclosure. "I think we freaked him out pretty bad." Yifan says after a moment later. "You think?" Yixing laughs and yelps when a curious adult seal climbs out of the water to bump its nose against his knee. 

"We better get out of here. Don't want to catch a cold." Yifan slowly lifts Yixing off his stomach and props himself up. He helps Yixing to his feet and together, they stagger towards the exit. "Oh , forgot about Luhan." Yifan curses and turns around, going back towards where the little penguin chick had nestled itself in the warm blubber of the seal. He tries to lift the baby penguin out but he protests and even tries to bite him. The baby seal curled around the penguin bares its teeth and Yifan holds up his hands, backing away slowly.

"They look happy together." Yixing says, coming up behind him as he stares in astonishment. "Let's leave them be." He allows himself to be steered towards the exit even as he grumbles under his breath, "If the other seals get ahold of him, they'll eat him." 

"Minseok will take care of him." Yixing soothes as he laces their hands together. "Now why don't you stop thinking about the penguin and think about where we're going on our first date?"