Chapter 3

Close Enough yet So far

Hello!!

I am sorry for delay this update too long! hope you can still enjoy this.

Also, I want to know about your opinion more on this story. is it too slow? too difficult to understand? please fell free to leave a comment at let me know your opinon. because i feel that this story is a little bit boring and it's development is too slow.. T.T

kindly reminding that this fic is pure my imagination, so I am sorry if i might offended you with this chapter..

Enjoy!

 

 

 

 

 

-----

Chapter 3

“Bae Joohyun,” Seungjun called. Seungwan had left due to her schedule and it was only him, and Joohyun left on the meeting room.

Seungjun knew at the first place that it would be difficult to Joohyun to come with this idea. Joohyun’s album should’ve released this winter and it was devastatingly cancelled. It should be very tiresome to start it all over again, from the tiniest details, concept, and everything. If he was Joohyun, he might be also giving up. But he knew that hooked Joohyun with new project is the only way to escape possibility of her not renewal her contract. And because of that, he continued to say, “Tell me, what is the part of this project that you find disagree with?”

Joohyun wanted to tell him that she disagreed with everything, but Joohyun didn’t know how to say.

“Look,” Seungjun tried to speak, “I should tell you why I came with this idea. This Red Velvet, have their second single released and guess what, it was slopped. The digital was the worst, and their chart also barely enough to catch media’s attention. That’s how we need your endorsement as Girls’ Generation.”

“We knew that, interaction through stage or variety shows are not enough, we need something stronger than that. Recently, Kang Seulgi popularity was good enough thanks to Amber and Kyuhyun, the other member named Park Sooyoung was projected to participate on variety shows, and now, we haven’t decided how to increase Seungwan’s popularity.”

“This girl is a nice girl. She is talented and could be survive since she has outgoing personality. But she still hasn’t an image that catch attention. Therefore, I have a plan to promote them with you. Moreover, if you know her vocal’s you could see that she is a talented singer, Joohyun-ah, exactly what you need as a partner.”

“Sajang-nim,” Joohyun said, carefully, “My album concept and the songs, and the everything, was set for me and Jessica Unnie, if you want Seungwan as the part of this album, we need to change everything.”

“Yes I am aware of that. Truthfully, we already have our own plan for promoting you and Seungwan, and believe me, it was already set by us.”

“Could you tell me how to?”

“It’s,” Seungjun smiled. “We will tell you later, about the details, Joohyun-ah, but as time goes by, please mention about Red Velvet as many as you can on television, radios, performances, but you should make it as smooth as you can. Making scenario with Seungwan would be a better step, isn’t it? You can make an agreement with her about what kind of stories or episodes that you will tell at broadcast,”

Agreement. Scenario. Script. Joohyun hate this part of career very much.

“This spring, Red Velvet would release their very first physical album and we added one member witj them, so you can meet them at your radio and broadcast. Please making episodes a lot, especially with Seungwan.”

“Sajang-nim,” Joohyun cut

“Yes?”

“I have not agreed yet to launch album with Seungwan.” Joohyun said.

Seungjun cleared his throat. “You should, Joohyun-ah. Honestly, I don’t want to mention it, but please remember that Red Velvet had their debut with poor preparation to divert media’s attention from Girls’ Generation. The dating scandals, and, um, Jessica’s departure.”

“Sajang-nim,” Joohyun said, a hint of anger was detected from her tone “How could you,”

“That’s the truth, Joohyun-ah,” Seungjun insisted. “I don’t know what would happen actually if Red Velvet debut at 2015 like our plan before, I don’t know whether they could be better or worse, but certainly because we need to debut them urgently, we have to change everything, MV concept, the stage, almost everything.”

“please, Joohyun-ah.” Seungjun pleaded, “If you want to not prolong your contract after 2017, it’s okay, but at least please help us with Red Velvet.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were stacks of paper on the desk and Taeyeon was absentminded, didn’t know how to start. It was nearly one month remaining before Girl’s Generation Tokyo Dome concert, and after what happened on the last September, they need to retake almost all of their song, especially the dance song in which they would put the master one. The recording was conducted an hour ago but there was nothing good progress so far. Being sensitive as usual, she massaged her temple wishing it could have shoot the headache, and it was when Joohyun came, expressionless.

“Ah you come.” Taeyeon catch a glimpse of tired Joohyun, being here, at recording room immediately after landed from overseas should drained her.

Joohyun managed to smile. “How is recording, Unnie?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “Headache. Come here, sit down.”

“Which song they currently take?” Joohyun asked, she expected there was something good happened here. At least it was her last hope of joy after meeting this early morning.

“The boys.” Taeyeon sipped her coffee, tried her best to savor it. “Kind of stuck in this part.”

Joohyun observed the blue highlighted line on Taeyeon’s paper,“Kimi wa tada hitori, arata na history tsukureba iin janai?” she mumbled

“Hyun tried to get this part done but it was a little awkward, so Soonkyu is attempting to take this part.” Taeyeon handed the headphone to Joohyun, wanted her to monitor what was happening at recording box.

As soon as the headphone installed firmly on Joohyun’s ear, Soonkyu’s voice was faintly heard. ‘please play the last one’ she said, and The Boys rhythm was played, along with Soonkyu,s voice, covered the latter part. It was good. But awkward. As if the part was never belonging to her.

 “Soonkyu yah,” Taeyeon said, cautiously, “the ‘janai’ part is to low, could you raise a bit?”

“Is the first part is okay?” Soonkyu answered with another question.

“The ‘kimi wa’ until ‘history’ is okay, I think, but ‘janai’ is a little bit”

“Bland.” Joohyun mumbled again

“Joohyun? Joohyun-ah? Is that you?” Sunny tried to take a peek from recording booth.

“Yes it was Joohyun,-“ Taeyeon said

“Yah, it was bland, Joohyun-ah?” Soonkyu teased. “It is a little bit hard to get the note, you know.”

Joohyun knew. Always knew. Those part was difficult even back then. Joohyun still vividly remembered the sound of The Boys heard on this room, exactly at the same recording booth, nearly four years ago. Joohyun remembered of how their producer wanted this part to be more sweetly ended, and they insisted to modify the last part of that line. Joohyun also still remembered of how after that, whenever they performed this song, beside her, there was someone who mumbled this part again, all over again.

Makhyeobeoryeotton miraega, anboyeotton miraega, ne nunape pyeolchyeojyeo

Being so often heard those part, the new version might be sounded unmatched to Joohyun. But she knew It didn’t matter. The thing was, her words might be sounded so rude for Soonkyu. Realized, she bit her lip, gaining her focus and said, “Sorry, Unnie, didn’t mean to-”

“It’s okay,” Sunny reassured “I have same thought with you. Okay then let me retake it,”

“The ‘janai’ part should be raised a bit, Soonkyu yah, can you hear me?” Taeyeon asked.

“Noted.” Soonkyu gained her breath, reinstalled her headphone and focused. The Boys was played, and she tried to concentrate on her part.

“Bland..” Taeyeon removed her headphone, turned off mics to prevent her voice came to recording booth. She massaged her temple again.

“Sorry, Unnie.” Joohyun knew that Taeyeon was hurt.

“It’s okay, Joohyun-ah, I know.” Taeyeon slumped on her chair. “Look, there are cuts from yesterday, when Hyun tried to cover this part. Do you want to listen?

Joohyun sharpen her hearing as soon as Taeyeon clicked play button. Hyun’s vocal, as usual was shooting and calm. But it was not match with the lyric. The lyric required an affirmative tone, not reassured one.

“Hyun’s is better, in my opinion.” Taeyeon said. “Yesterday she said that she had no confidence over it so she retook it many times. But after thinking that we might not change the dance blocking too much if Soonkyu take this part, she tries to cover. Which, as you can see, a little weird.”

Joohyun understood. Soonkyu’s vocal also didn’t represent the lyric well.

“It is confusing. We still stuck on The Boys now, and we still have so many songs to retake.” Taeyeon said, desperate.

“We still have a month, Unnie,” Joohyun tried to calm her. “And we don’t have to retake exactly the same with the old version. Taking our new version will do.”

“You said exactly same line with Tiffany. Weird.” Taeyeon raised her eyebrow.

 Joohyun smiled. “Really?”

“Yes. She said that with different tone. Angered tone to be exact. She mad at me after nagging at her and Soonkyu too much. She said, ‘we are retaking, not covering’.” Taeyeon said. “Which is, I found she was right, but still,”

“If we retake exactly the same way with same as before, it would be difficult. There is no one who has vocal with the same vocal range as her.” Taeyeon continued. “Hyun’s is good and sometimes even better has not enough power to cover all of the time, Soonkyu’s and Tiffany’s are slightly lower.”

“Uh, Better to keep it on your mind only, Unnie, or else Tiffany Unnie would angry at you if she knows what you said.” Joohyun suggested.

“She already knew.” Taeyeon said. “And admit it. That’s how we picked a fight this morning, you know, retaking not covering. Uh, here we go, Soonkyu finished recording,”

Joohyun her headset to listen the fresh take. Soonkyu’s vocal was good, as usual, but the tone is a little hip.

“Is it a no, Taeyeon-ah?” Soonkyu asked worriedly.

“It’s a, uh,” Taeyeon cleared , “Slightly better, Wanna listen it with my part joined?”

“okay we’ll try.”

The Boys should be a part of medley session, and they barely sing it more than a minute. But still, because it was chosen as the last part of the medley, unfortunately there were a lot of part that had to retake. There was no choice for them. The arena was set, the playlist was set, the performances was set. It was impossible for them to change it.

“Good.” Taeyeon commented.

“The arranger-nim here says good also.” Sunny informed. “We can use it, Taeyeon-ah.”

“Okay then.” Taeyeon loosened her muscle, “Should we record ‘girls bring the boys out’ now, Soonkyu-yah?”

Soonkyu groaned. “No, not now. Let me take a break first, please.”

“Okay,” Taeyeon smiled

“Is that line the last part, Unnie? The part where the keys increased?” Joohyun asked

“Yes. That difficult part”

“Who will cover it?”

“Me. And Soonkyu. We practice yesterday and it was our best option.” Taeyeon said. “By the way, Fany said you have meeting this morning with company.”

Joohyun nodded. “Yeah.”

“What was that about, if I may know?”

“Long story Unnie.” Joohyun was too bewildered to tell Taeyeon. There was a part that she preferred to not tell anyone, even to Taeyeon.

“Joohyun-ah.” Taeyeon called, slowly and softly, wanted to let Joohyun know that she didn’t want Joohyun to be hurt. “Correct me if I am wrong, was it about contract?”

Joohyun couldn’t help but look at Taeyeon’s soft eyes. “No, Unnie.”

“Are you being honest right now?” Taeyeon a little bit relieved after saw Joohyun nodded. her little Joohyun rarely tells a lie.

“Joohyun-ah,” again, Taeyeon softly called

“Yes.” Joohyun inhaled sharply, anticipating Taeyeon’s question.

“Do you still have an intention to not prolonged your contract after this?”

 Joohyun dived on her own thought. Here she was, in front of Taeyeon, the one and only members whom know about her, and her contract, and her intention to not extend it, and why she intended to do so. Also, in front of her was Taeyeon, her Unnie, her beloved Unnie, the one she didn’t want to hurt the most.

How to answer her question?

Feeling didn’t know what to do, Joohyun chose to answer it with silence.

“Joohyun-ah,” Taeyeon’s voice sounded so angelic, but burdensome to Joohyun at the same time. “Do whatever you want, Joohyun-ah, but I will let you know one thing,”

Taeyeon take a deep breath before she continued, “Jessica’s departure is not your fault. I assure you, it’s not your fault. If you happen to leave this group, please don’t think that everything of this is because of you. And if you happen to leave this group, please don’t make you suffer with that kind of idea, please enjoy any stage with us,”

“I am begging you as your Unnie,” Taeyeon continued.

Joohyun knew by cracked voice of Taeyeon that the latter should have held her tears, as usual.

And there was nothing that Joohyun could give except held her hands tight.

 

 

 

 

 

-------

 

Spoiler: The next chapter is WenRene. So stay tune and please anticipate it a lot!

:)))))))))