Chapter Four ~

Power off.
Chapter 4
“Yah! Jean! You’re going to be late!”

 

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

 

“Jean?”

 

“Jean?!”

 

“Ah!” The girl sits straight up in bed, her eyes wide and awake.

 

“Aaaahhhhh!” Ji Eun goes directly to the bathroom connected to her room, washing her face with water and brushing her teeth at a fast forward speed. She hurries around her room still with a toothbrush in hand, finding random clothes scattered around the floor. Picking up the backpack that hung on the back of the door, Ji Eun runs back to the bathroom to spit out the toothpaste. Rinsing it quickly, her next destination is the kitchen downstairs where some muffins are stuffed into .

 

“Alright, alright, go! Don’t be late! You can take my car, just go!” Her mother turns her around and pushes her to the garage, Ji Eun still struggling to swallow the last bites. She gets into her mother’s SUV as quick as she can, turning the key in to start the car. Most of the time Ji Eun walked to school, and it was rare that her morning schedule was running late.

 

But there was not time to think why. She glances at the clock on the dashboard - 8:23. She might be able to make it.

 

Pushing on the pedal, Ji Eun speedily exits her neighborhood and drives through the busy streets of commuters and students. She hears a few honks, probably towards her reckless driving...but gotta do what you gotta do. One car rolls down their window, an angry mother shouting at her to get drivers education again. Ji Eun bows her head before speeding off, her brows furrowed, concentrated on driving.

 

She pulls into the parking lot, breathing in and out once before opening the door and running to the front doors. Checking her phone, it was 8:28 - she could do it!

 

“I made it!” Ji Eun almost screams as she reaches the doors of her school. Scrambling up the stairs, she finds her first class - AP Government - and almost collapses into her chair.

 

“Alright, Jean? You barely made it,” Her teacher stops by her desk as it was in the front row, an amused look on his  face.

 

“Yes, just, yeah, I’m good,” Ji Eun pants opening her binder to take out the essay that was due. Ah, thank goodness she had made it in time. She sneaks a look at her phone, typing a message to L.

IU: morning ;D when should we work on our duet?


Beep Beep. Beep Beep.

 

Slam!

 

Myungsoo’s hand presses hard down on the top of the alarm, yawning as he stretches his arms out. Another day. But not any day, Friday. He grins at the thought of the weekend ahead, walking calmly to the bathroom to brush up. Getting his clothes on - the school uniform - he heads down to the breakfast table.

 

Myungsoo dear ~
 

Dad had to leave last night to go to a company trip urgently and I’m going to have some fun with friends. I might not be home until late tonight, and we also might go on a trip as well - who knows? I know you can take care of yourself, right?

 

I love you ~

 

Mom

 

He lets out a disappointed sigh, throwing it into the trash while getting some cereal out. Yeah, right, her “friends”. More like a suitor. Since coming into the house, Myungsoo had known that his “parents” had been arranged and their real lives were far from this home. For all he knew, they could already have separate kids. He didn’t understand why they hadn’t gotten a divorce already, but probably it was related to the company. Myungsoo wished they would, though, instead of lying to themselves - lying to him.

 

Glancing at his watch, he realizes that time was tight and hurriedly finishes up his breakfast. Quickly rinsing it and pushing it in the dishwasher, he grabs his backpack and heads out the garage door.

 

‘Ah, the keys,’ Myungsoo thinks and rushes back inside, taking them out of the designated basket and unlocking his Chevrolet. He pulls out of the driveway easily, driving down the road with his window down. It was a nice morning - not like the winter it usually was at all. When he crosses the intersection, honking from all around makes Myungsoo look around and he glances at one car that’s going pretty fast. Glancing at the watch, he chuckles. The student must be late and trying to make it to the school on time. As the car breezes past him in the next lane, Myungsoo’s eyes are drawn to her alarmed face. Her hair was obviously a mess, but her eyes were bright and fresh. Her skin a bit light, but fair and glowing.

 

“Cute,” The word escapes his lip as the light turns green, and Myungsoo blinks as he presses down on the pedal while glancing at the clock. Ah, he might be late as well if he didn’t hurry.


 

“Jean! Guess what?” Eunji excitedly asks as they sit together during lunch.

 

Ji Eun refreshes her Line activity, wondering why L wasn’t responding. Ugh…

 

“Jeannn….”

 

“Jeannnn!”

 

Ji Eun looks up at her best friend, sighing. “Yes, yes?”

 

“Let’s go to a party tonight! This guy invited me” Eunji’s eyes widen and Ji Eun bites her lip.

 

“Um...”

 

“What? It’s a Friday, aren’t you free?”
 

“My parents have an auction thing….” Ji Eun bites her lip as Eunji’s face turns blank for a moment.


“Ah right, your parents are pretty important now, sorry,” She chuckles a bit, but Ji Eun knew it was awkward for her.

 

At this high school, mostly everyone was the middle class. Rich kids were meant to go to the closeby private high school, West View. Until a year ago, Ji Eun had been pretty much like everyone else. However, after ten years of hard work on starting a company, her parents had hit jackpot. Investors started looking into them, and suddenly her father’s company was the next big thing. And what did that mean? New house, new clothes, new car..

 

New parents.

 

Her parents had changed after their sudden luck. More ambitious, more concentrated on money - Ji Eun could see the new wrinkles and creases in their faces. She missed her old parents, the ones that would go to her recitals and ceremonies, reward her hard work, sit down at dinner and ask about her day...Where had they gone? Maybe that’s who they were all along, and only after seven years had Ji Eun seen what lay under the mask.

 

The thought scared her, and Ji Eun focuses on eating the rest of her lunch. Food first, thinking later.

 

Ji Eun sighs, hugging onto Eunji’s shoulder. “Yahh, don’t do a face like that. I don’t like it either,” She pouts. “But there’s nothing I can do to change it, I guess. If I could go back in time, I would.”

 

“Who’s this guy, though?” Ji Eun pulls away, her eyebrows lifted with a curious glint. Eunji had mentioned a party that this “guy” had invited her to.

 

Eunji looks away, and Ji Eun pokes her. “Yahhh, you’re blushingg!”

 

“No, no, I only met him a few weeks ago and I got his number…”

 

“Oooooooh?”

 

“He’s really cute…”

 

“Awww! Eunji, you like him, don’t you?”

 

“No, no! He just invited me to this party. Apparently his friend is hosting it…”

 

“Do they go here?”

 

“No, he said they go to West View..”


“I’m back,” Ji Eun unlocks the door to her house, taking off her shoes before heading upstairs. Her mom calls up from downstairs, reminding her that she needed to change as guests would be coming in an hour. Ji Eun glumly opens her bedroom door, annoyed that her parents were making her be present. Couldn’t they just say she wasn’t feeling well? She unlocks her phone again, wondering why L hadn’t responded to her at all. ‘Calm down,’ A thought passes through her mind. ‘You just started talking to him yesterday - do you think you’re best friends or something?’ Ji Eun sighs, putting the phone down once again. Alright, she needed to change.


“Alright, here are your phones back,” The teacher walks down the aisles of the classroom, handing the bucket around so that each student could retrieve their precious device. At West View, it was required to confiscate these cellular devices so that students could concentrate better and, of course, not cheat. Myungsoo powers on his phone, drumming his fingers impatiently on the table. Had IU said anything? Finally, the lock screen comes on and Myungsoo slides his thumb.

 

Fingerprint not recognized.

 

‘Oh come on’ Myungsoo mumbles annoyingly while taking the time to press his actual passcode in. Alright, finally in. Going immediately to his Line, his heart falls while seeing that she had messaged him a ‘Good morning’. Did she think he didn’t want to talk to her or something? He quickly types in an explanation.


L513: Sorrryyy, they take my phone away during school :( about the duet, do you want to work on it tonight? And how do you want to do it?


 

He waits a few seconds, and a vibration makes him eagerly look back at the phone.

 


IU: I have to go to this thing tonight my parents are hosting Dx but afterwards I can start working on it. Do you have the actual notes you can send me?

L513: Yeah, I’ll send it now.


 

The bell rings as Myungsoo sends the file,  getting up soon after to head home. Sung Yeol attacks him from behind, a chortle coming out as Myungsoo pushes him off.

 

“Do you want to go to a party tonight? I invited a lot of people….including some really cute girls,” Sung Yeol raises his eyebrow, moving around Myungsoo who was trying to exit the busy building.

 

“No thanks, I’m not good at those things..”

 

“Um...Myungsoo, sorry but you can’t refuse.”

 

Myungsoo turns, his expression making Sungyeol a bit nervous.

 

“I told everyone the party’s at your house…”

 

“Yah? Are you insane?” Myungsoo’s voice raises and his face turns into disbelief. “You’re lying, right?”

 

Sungyeol bites his lip, backing away slightly.

 

“Sungyeol…” Myungsoo’s voice turns into a threatening tone, his eyes fully focused on the betraying friend. His footsteps approach Sungyeol one click at a time.

 

“Please, Myungsoooo, pleaseeee say it’s okay. You know that girl, that girl I was telling you about? I invited herrrr, she might not ever say hi to me again if I let her downnnn, please?”

 

Myungsoo stops, seeing how Sungyeol was literally begging. He knew that Sungyeol did really like this girl he had met at a cafe a few weeks before and...well, not even the “cold city boy Myungsoo”  could resist that pleading face.  

 

“Fine..”

 

“Yesss! Will you be able to convince your parents?”
 

“They’re away, anyways, so it’s fine.”

 

“What? Where are they?”

 

“I don’t know,” Myungsoo shrugs, continuing to walk. His face hardens, and Sung Yeol’s expression turns serious.

 

“Yah, you okay? You’re giving me the chills, man,” Sungyeol nudges him, a little nervous.

 

Myungsoo stops, turning to face Sungyeol.

 

“One thing I forgot to do…”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Aghhhh!” Sungyeol yells out soon after as Myungsoo flicks his forehead.

 

“Why’d you do that?!”

 

“You think you’d get away with no punishment? No way, choding,” Myungsoo grins, teasing his best friend while running away. Sungyeol soon chases after, threatening to get his revenge.

 


 

Ji Eun receives the file from L, grinning. How could he compose such a beautiful song? She gets another vibration, this time a text from Eunji.

 


Eunji: You sure you can’t go? the party, if you remember

Jean: Umm, actually, let me check with my parents.

Eunji: K :D Please try to ~ I’m scared, I prob won’t know anybody Dx

Jean: lol


Ji Eun walks downstairs, approaching her mom slowly.

 

“Hey mom…”

“Yes, Jean?”

“Can I go to Eunji’s tonight for a study session? Midterms are coming up, and I think it’d be good for me to get some studying done…”

“Hmm...Michael?” Her mom calls her husband. “Is it okay for Ji Eun to go to a study session?”

 

“Uh….I guess, yeah...Will the parents be there?”

 

“Mom, it’s Eunji’s house - you know them, don’t you?”

 

“That’s true..well, yes, I guess you can..” Her mom concedes, shrugging. Ji Eun smiles, turning away to reveal a grin. A party sounded much better than a boring auction.


“Myungsoo, where’s the drinks?”

 

“Sungyeol, I’m not going to put alcohol out - that’s illegal,” Myungsoo says seriously. His mischievous friend had come over to help him prepare for the party which was going to happen in roughly ten minutes. So far, they had locked the important rooms, gotten quite a lot of snacks, and the pizza was on its way.

 

“Come onnnn!”

 

“No, this is where I live, and if you want to go drink some of that, take the party to your house - not here,” Myungsoo defiantly tells him, wiping down the countertop. Sungyeol whines, but stops asking. He knew enough about Myungsoo to know that he didn’t do any of that kind of stuff - smoking, drugs, alcohol, vaping...none of it.

 

“Ah! Eunji’s bringing a friend...maybe you can talk to her,” Sungyeol gets distracted by a text from his phone.

 

“I doubt it,” Myungsoo shrugs, going to the door as it rings. The pizza guy asks for his signature and Myungsoo easily gives his credit card while signing the receipt.

 

“Come on, give it a chance, man. Her name is Jean...isn’t that pretty?”

 

“Date her yourself, sounds like you’re already in love with her name,” Myungsoo taunts, rolling his eyes at Sungyeol’s remarks.

 

“Yah! Jung Eunji sounds much better in my opinion. And by the way, she’s really pretty as well. Like, gorgeous. So don’t steal her away, okay?”

 

“Hey, it’s not my fault. Blame my parents for this beautiful face,” Myungsoo turns around to smirk in Sungyeol’s face, chuckling.

 

Sungyeol starts to respond, but a knock on the door interrupts him. Myungsoo glances at the clock on the wall. About time for a few guests to come.

 

“Ah, looks like the party’s started,” Myungsoo starts walking to the door, oblivious to the fact that his childhood friend and now collaboration partner, Ji Eun, was inches away.

 


Author's Note ~
Hallo! I havne't updated for a while :( I had a great winter break tho - what about you guys? School starts again soon though...nuuuu D; Anyways, this chapter was pretty long ahaha I didn't know what I wanted to write but suddenly I just sat down and started typing xD The problem is that I really like dramatic scenes but sometimes you gotta slow down ya know? Well, hopefully I can reign in a bit xD What do you think about the struggles between Ji Eun and Myungsoo between their parents? Is it too dramatic? cliche? Ugh, I'm not sure...But if you can leave comments that is really so helpful and nice so please do >.< Also, subscribe if you like my chapters :D 
BTW I PUT A TRAILER UP 
did ya guys see it? I made it myself (*proud of myself*) hehehe I sort of like doing trailers though so right now I'm working on another one for this story but I'm going to see how I can improve it :3 Alsoooo check out the Asianfanfic Awards if you haven't yet! I love the idea and some of my favorite fanfics are in the running hehe. Also the shop where I work at (Club Nevermore) is one of the nominees :D 
Link for the awards is here! Check it out ;)
Well that is it for now my lovely readers and remember to have a great new year! Happy 2016 :D