Chapter Three ~

Power off.
Chapter 3
She felt giddy. No, Ji Eun thought, not that...what was it? A feeling of nervousness, excitement, curiosity, shyness…..all mixed together.

She glances at the screen again, taking a screenshot and giggling softly. It somewhat felt like a fifteen year old schoolgirl taking pictures of her crush…

 

The statement makes her pause for a moment, but she quickly moves on. Ji Eun had only heard of this “L” a few minutes ago. She admired him, and was really happy he had followed her back.

 

That was it.



 

Clearing , she quickly moves back to her computer and logs on, typing quickly to Suzy what had happened.


IU: guess whaaaaaat

IU: oh right you’re at dinner

IU: anyways….I subscribed to L, and he subscribed to me as well! I didn’t expect that...I’m sort of happy though, because he has such a great voice *-*

IU: brb, it’s dinner time for me now


Ji Eun pauses, looking at the screen for a few more seconds but getting up, going to the door, opening it and heading downstairs.

“I’m coming, I told you!” She yells to her mom from the second floor, annoyed at the constant shouts to get down.

 

“Jean, apologize to your mother now. When she says something you should do it immediately, without no attitude.” Ji Eun’s father looks sternly at her when she arrives at the dinner table. She grits her teeth. Ji Eun didn’t understand why her parents had to use her English name, Jean, all the time, it wasn’t who she was.


“I’m sorry for not coming down sooner. It was my fault. I won’t do it again. Forgive me?” Ji Eun says with a forced smile, robotically giving her mother a hug. What had happened to their fighting just a few minutes ago? Just telling from their actions toward each other, she could tell sparks remained.

 

Ji Eun eats dinner mechanically, thinking about Suzy and L and Youtube the whole time.

 

“Jean…”

“Jean….”

“Jean…!”

 

Clang.  

 

A maid replaces her fork with a new, clean one.

“Yeah?!”

 

Her mom gives an exasperated sigh.

“Listen a little better, please. Can you make sure to go to bed early tonight, dad and I are going to go out…”

 

“Oh...yeah…” She says, nodding as she finishes up her salad. Ji Eun’s dad swallows his prescribed pills, leaving the table as soon as he’s done. Her mom then quickly goes off to her bedroom, changing for whatever event they needed to go to.

 

And then it was one.

 

Ji Eun sighs and gathers the plates and forks and knives, making a few rounds from table to kitchen. Even though she didn’t need to, it used to be her job before everything changed.

 

Or before her parents changed.

 

“Thank you, Jean...have you finished your homework?” A maid asks kindly.


 

She bites her top lip. “Uh..” I still have a little bit left…”

 

“Don’t go to bed too late…” Was that a common phrase these days?

 

“I know”

 

Ji Eun leaves and goes upstairs back to her room, quickly logging onto her account.


Suzy ♡: That’s awesome! I know, I just listen to that cover every time I’m mad or sad or whatever I’m feeling ya know?

IU: I know now xD

Suzy ♡: Haha - have you thought about posting a cover soon?

IU: I don’t know…


Ji Eun refreshes her page, noticing now another notification in her google. What else happened now? She clicks on it, surprised to see a message from the mysterious L.

 

Ji Eun hurriedly waits for the page to load, reading his message quickly.

 

He wanted to do a collaboration?!


IU: SUZYYY

Suzy ♡: ??
IU: L just messaged me!
Suzy ♡: !?

IU: He wants to do a collab :O

Suzy ♡: !!!!!!!!!!!!

Suzy ♡: Are you going to say yes?

IU: I don’t know…

Suzy ♡: You should!!

IU: I guess I’ll just message him and ask if he has a specific song in mind

Suzy ♡: :D I ship it

IU: You’re weird

Suzy ♡: >.<


 

Ji Eun sighs and shakes her head, opening up the Line message on her phone and messaging L her username.

 


Hi...this is IU :)

I’m really honored to that you find my covers nice, as I really enjoy yours as well :D
Ummm here’s my Line ID: ________ so if you want to message me on that I guess it’d be easier xD I guess I’m pretty open for a collab I just think it’d be great if we can talk about song choice and how we would do the collab maybe :)

IU


She sends it off quickly, not wanting to hesitate. It was weird, he could be on the other side of the Earth for all she knew and receiving this message. Right now.


 

Crazy….technology is definitely daebak.


 

Ji Eun chuckles, deciding that she probably should do her homework. Getting out her textbook, she finishes her notes for the quiz the next week and procedes to her math homework, checking her phone during the transition.


 

L513 has added you on Line!


 

She swipes the notification, adding him back. L513, what an interesting username. It must stand for something..

 

A message quickly pops up:


 


L513: Is this IU?
IU: Yeah..this is L?

L513: Yup

IU: Um...nice to meet you?

L513: xD I guess I’m not sure what else to call this

IU: Whatever, we’ll just pretend we did all of that meet and greet stuff

IU: Did you have a song in mind you wanted to collab?

L513: Well, what songs do you like to do

IU: I’ve never really done a duet before…If you choose one that’s fine

L513: Just one question - are you Korean?


 

 

Ji Eun hesitates at that question, swallowing hard. She didn’t know who this guy was besides that he was a cover artist, and it was sort of strange to give personal information out to strangers.

 

 


IU: I’d rather not sing in Korean

L513: Oh, okay…


 

 

She can tell that his first option was in Korean, and that he was probably disappointed with that response. If their situations were reversed, she would be too.

 

 


IU: If you send me the link, though, of the song, I’ll look at it

L513: Actually, I wrote it...


 

 

Ji Eun raises her eyebrows, impressed. She had sometimes tried to write songs, but always it came to a dead end.

 

 


IU: Oh, wow that’s amazing.

L513: Yeah, do you want me to send you the quick version I sang?

IU: Sure :)


 

A few minutes later, she receives a link to a google drive file. Opening it up, there’s an mp3 and she plugs in her earbuds to listen.

 

The first few notes melt into her ears, and she closes her eyes. His voice was absolutely gorgeous. Without her forcing it, harmonies start forming in Ji Eun’s head and she hums along, feeling the beat with her head. Still listening to the chorus, she switches back to her messaging app.

 


IU: It’s beautiful

L513: Will you think about it? I have other English songs…

IU: No, um...yeah, I’ll think about it :)

L513: Thanks :D This song is super precious to me and I’ve always wanted to do a duet with someone

IU: Are you sure you want to do it with me? I mean, I guess what I’m saying is that I just met you and…

L513: I’m sure.


 

Ji Eun pauses for a moment, wondering where that confidence had suddenly come from.

 


IU: Um.. okay xD

L513: lol I thought about it for awhile and when I heard your voice today I knew your voice was perfect for this song

IU: Aw thanks

L513: So, how long ago did you start to do covers?

IU: Ummm maybe like two years ago? Something like that, what about you?

L513: I think actually maybe 6 weeks ago or somewhere around that time

IU: Ooh

L513: Yeah, I’m a newbie

IU: xD

L513: Have you ever written songs?

IU: actually, no...but I can harmonize pretty okay so maybe we can do a thing where we both sing and you can overlay my part over yours for the harmony?

L513: Yeah...we’ll figure it out

L513: Wait, does that mean you’ll do it


Unexpectedly, Ji Eun laughs. He sounded so excited, even though this was just on a phone. Well, this song was beautiful, and why not? Mine as well brush up on her Korean.

 


IU: Well...you seem to have a pretty good argument

IU: So yeah, I’ll do it :)

L513: :DDDDDDDDDD

IU: lol

L513: No seriously, I’m really happy

IU: Alright, well I have an unfair amount of hw to do so I gotta go

L513: Same :P Night!

IU: Good night ^-^


Ji Eun chuckles and puts her phone to sleep, the song still playing. She then gets out her next class’s homework, busily getting to work. Though she tries to work, their conversation keeps distracting her.

 

Her voice was perfect for his song in L’ opinion. He had specially chosen her…

 

Ji Eun smiles to herself, shaking her head after realizing where her thoughts were going. She had a habit of developing small crushes very quickly, and it hurt her too often.

 

The night goes on, and finally she finishes her work for the next day. Getting ready for bed, she snuggles into her comforter and blankets before turning her light off.

 

Breathe in. Breathe out. Her eyelids start to droop, before her mind suddenly alerts her with a task to do.

 

Reaching over to her phone, Ji Eun plays the song one more time, listening to his gentle voice while slowly drifting off to sleep.  The ending lyrics, “I can only dream as long as you’re here” made her heart pang slightly as she falls asleep.


 

“Where are you going?”

“I have to leave…”

 

“What?”

“Why?”

 

“I’m sorry..” His voice gets more distant, the back that her, the hands that held tightly onto someone else.

 

“But...But…”

“I can only dream when you’re here,” The young girl whimpers as the retreating boy takes one last glance at the tears that dropped from her face. He vowed silently that one day he’d make sure to find her again,


 

and let her dream.


Author's Note :)

Hi guys :D Third chapter already :O I feel like the plot is moving really fast...? I dunno, but exams are coming up this week so >.< Dunno if I can post that much :( Anyways, what happened with Ji Eun's parents and still how are their past connected ? o_O Believe me I want to know as well xD Nah but I think I can sorta see where this is heading so that's a good sign, right? Hehe thank you so much to people who have subscribed and commented and also people who upvoted! I'm so grateful for all of you readers and please continue to read, comment, subscribe, and all :D Luff you readers <3