Chapter One ~

Power off.
Chapter 1:
Ji Eun slams the door behind her, closing her eyes to let out a deep breath. The shouting from downstairs rang in her ears. Taking off her backpack and coat, she hangs it up and sits down on the chair in front of her desk. Reaching behind the desktop computer her parents had bought when she was eleven, she pushes down on the power button, a familiar white screen coming on to ask for her username and password. Ji Eun quickly types it in, her right hand finding its position on the mouse right next to the keyboard. Pulling up her Youtube channel, eyebrows lift as a notification appears from her messaging app. It was a text, from Suzy.


Suzy : You’re online?

 

IU : Yeah, I just came back…

 

Suzy ♡ : How was your day?

 

IU: Um….well, I mean pretty okay I guess. My parents are in a fight again :P

 

Suzy ♡ : I’m sorry :( Are you feeling okay?

 

IU: ….. it’s just really loud

 

Suzy ♡ : Put earbuds in, I want you to hear something I always listen to when I’m sad


Ji Eun breaks away from her gaze at the screen, wondering what Suzy was going to say while fumbling in the drawer on the right side of her desk to find earbuds. She finally sees a white cord and yanks it out, plugging the end into her computer and placing them into her ears. Ji Eun glances at the screen again, seeing a link pasted. She clicks it and a new window opens, a youtube video to be exact. It was really the same thing that Ji Eun and Suzy did online as well, post audio covers of popular songs. This particular song was Korean, titled Can U Smile by a group called Infinite. It was an acoustic cover, meaning he (well, she guessed it was a he from the voice) could play guitar.

 

Ji Eun closes her eyes and breathes in and out slowly, not opening them until only silence was left. Who was he? His username was just L, as ambiguous as hers, IU. She clicks on the red subscribe button, surprised that his numbers were so few.


Suzy ♡ : Did you watch it?

 

IU : oh, yeah, I did. It was rlly good^-^

 

Suzy ♡ : Right?! Did you subscribe? his covers are all rlllyyy good, though he posts mostly spontaneously.

 

IU : Yeah, of course I subscribed. His voice is really unique I feel, but comforting…

 

Suzy ♡ : Oh, it’s dinner time for me. I’ll prob be back in an hour.

 

IU: k :)


Ji Eun sighs and swivels her chair around, leaning back on it to stare at the ceiling. It had been a while since she put out a cover, as no new music had stood out lately. She thinks back to L’s voice, the words flowing off his lips. She could barely understand Korean, but the lyrics were soothing to her ears. The guitar highlighted the melody just right…

 

Her eyes fall on the acoustic guitar in the corner of her room, hidden behind a bean bag and blankets. Ji Eun cautiously walks toward the instrument, almost afraid. Picking it up, she moves back to sit down on her bed, hands automatically curving around the guitar to feel the dusty wood. Ji Eun strums a few chords, then stops. She tweaks the tuning pegs slightly, then strums once more, an old country song her dad had taught her coming to mind. She closes her eyes to remember more when a notification appears, making the bed vibrate.

 

“Aish! That scared me,” She jumps at the noise, opening her eyes to glance at the phone beside her.

 

You have one new subscriber

 

Ji Eun crinkles her eyebrows, wondering who had subscribed when she hadn’t posted any cover videos since her sixteenth birthday, a month ago. Her finger moves to delete the notification, but she pauses mid air, grabbing her phone to unlock the home screen. She quickly taps on the youtube app icon, opening it up. The” one new subscriber” pops up on the screen and her fingers carelessly tap it.

 

L has subscribed to your channel.

 


Authors Note ~

Ayeee! Long time no see, hm? Hehe, well I hope you thought this chapter opened well though I'm not sure about the length. I felt that in my other story I made myself write to at least 2,000 words and this didn't even reach 1,000 xD What do you think? Make it long? Keep it this way? Let me know in the comments ^0^ If you enjoyed this chapter please comment and subscribe with your thoughts! Luff you all <3