4 - Odd

Apprehensive

“Strange oppa,” Soojung crooned, still confused why the hell would someone like Myungsoo ask for her photo? But he just did and it, in all honesty, bewildered her. He promised not to do anything with it yet somehow her guts told her not to trust him. “It is okay, Soojung, it is okay. Breath.” As she buoyed herself, she hushed the doubt away and tried not to think negatively of what he might do with her photo. She was a little concerned, of course, but she was sure if there was anything he did involving her photo, he would surely contact her right away. Turned out he did not, and Soojung did not know what to feel upon realizing the fact. “Could only hope for the best, then.” She blew out a weary sigh and decided to sleep earlier than usual.

Myungsoo could not get himself straight. His feet turned wobbly at the realization, his mind still refused to believe the overwhelming coincidence. His eyes wildly shifted from the digital photo in his phone to the photo on his other hand.

“This can’t be. This can’t be. Why did I not realize it earlier, dammit?” he cussed underneath his breath, his voice was shaky and barely a whisper. His breathing was shallow, and slowly, he climbed to his bed and buried his face in the pillow while staring at Yoojung’s photo. She was smiling cheerfully, Myungsoo’s arm draped around her shoulder, grinning as well. It was actually painful to see to the extent a single tear rolled down the male’s cheek, a proof of longing, sadness, and anger, everything molded into one. “Yoojung… I missed you. I will make sure nobody could replace you in my heart,” he halted, the photo with his thumb. “Even this girl, who surprisingly looks extravagantly similar to you.”

At the same time, Soojung rolled on her bed, trying to figure out why that strange male asked for her photo. She had been convincing herself that no harm will come, but she just could not help herself from thinking of the possibilities—he was always strange, after all.

Her group debuted first back then, and a year later, a new boy group rising to the surface. Soojung paid no attention to them at first, but it changed when they promoted in the same music program together.

Soojung had always been indifferent; the thing that could attract her attention was foods, especially bread. That day, she asked a staff to buy her a pack of chocolate-filled bun and while she waited for him, she took a stroll around the backstage and there was him, paying no attention to his surroundings as well. Soojung stepped closer, yet she made sure she would not be caught stalking at the boy and his group.

He was there, sitting on the couch with a face that bluntly told everyone he was bored. His eyes drooped lazily and a moment later, Soojung found herself gazing at the sleeping boy, her gaze softened, wondering if he knew that he looked fragile in his sleep. Minutes passed, and three boys—they were his band mates—woke him up and ushered him to their own change room. The boy only shrugged nonchalantly and let them drag his body, and that was the time when her staff came back from the bakery nearby with his hand held a plastic containing her favorite bread.

“Ahjussi, do you know the name of the group who just debuted?” she urgently asked. She tried her best not to show any emotions by putting on her blank, emotionless expression.

“Oh, the recent one? There were many.” The staff replied.

“That one with come back again or whatever dorawa as their debut song.”Soojung pressed a tad bit further. Her curiosity burns within her, and she kept thinking that her suspicious behavior now would cause quite a fuss.

The staff arched one of his eyebrows in astonishment. “Oh… Their name is INFINITE.”

INFINITE…

The said group just exited their room and they spotted Soojung standing there. They then bowed to show their respect toward their senior, and the only thing that attracted Soojung at the moment was the expressionless guy bowing at her, his face showed nothing at all. Soojung almost forgot to bow in return. As soon as they left the backstage, Soojung turned to the staff again.

“That expressionless guy, what’s his name?”

“Oh, if I’m not mistaken, his name is Kim Myungsoo, widely known as L as his stage name.”

formed an ‘O’ shape after knowing the important piece of information. “Thank you, ahjussi!”

Once she and the girls arrived at their dorm, she darted to the computer on the first floor and typed the name, running a further search.

Kim Myungsoo. Seoul, 1992/3/13. O type. Likes black so much. The list still went down, and Soojung made sure she stored it all in her mind. The boy had intrigued her interest and she would try her best to get to talk to him.

Since then, she always stared at him in silence, sometimes stalked him, a lot of times tried to get closer but she failed in the end. Never once in her life someone would attract her so much like this—no, she was sure she did not develop a crush toward him, not that she wished she did. It was just a cold man sparked her interest and she, at the very least, had the urge to converse with him, and it got bigger and bigger, and when she was too desperate to even hope, the event happened.

It’s like the fate indeed wanted them to meet.

“Myungsoo oppa, stop making me feel restless like this.”

 

“Myungsoo?”

A distant whisper infiltrated his hearing sense. The whisper, the way it called her name was too familiar he began to shudder violently. He kept turning his body, his eyes were wild, searching for the source of the voice.

Yoojung! Yoojung! Where are you!?”His voice was close to a scream, and before he could do anything further, darkness enveloped his vision and he snapped his eyes open to find himself still on the bed. It was just a dream, Myungsoo reassured himself. Still, sweat ran down his face. He attempted to sleep again, but his eyes betrayed him. Giving up, he snatched his phone and seconds later he saw himself observing Soojung’s photo. It was her self-camera photo, showing her face up close. Finally, he noticed a distinctive feature that differed the girl from his first love. Soojung’s eyes were almond shaped, while Yoojung’s were a bit more slanted. Another distinctive feature was Soojung’s nose was pointier than Yoojung’s. Upon realizing the differences made Myungsoo feel much relieved, and this time, he was sure he would not fall for Soojung. It was only the face that is similar, after all.

 

The following day, Myungsoo’s band mates were getting more worried at him. Myungsoo’s face was always expressionless, but this time, his eyes were also blank and he was hardly focused, igniting wrath from their choreographer and threw his tantrums to Myungsoo.

“Get your together or you’ll be staying here for the rest of your day!”

Myungsoo barely flinched, but he indeed strived his best to forget his major problem and focused on the dance practice. He managed to cover his mistakes earlier, but still, the rest looked at him with full concern. They knew that it was forbidden for them to seek information from him, yet they could not hide their curiosity either. Finally, they sent Sungyeol—who grumbled immediately—to talk to Myungsoo, as well as to quench their curiosity.

“Soo?” Sungyeol softly called the male who was standing near the huge window, his eyes leering on the landscape before him. He did not respond, and this time, Sungyeol nudged the elbow to wake him up from his trance. Myungsoo was startled, but eventually, he remained calm while narrowing his eyes at the elder male.

“What is it, Yeol?” Myungsoo asked back, although he did not turn his body, let alone looking at Sungyeol’s direction. A big lump formed in the elder male’s throat and he stepped closer, carefully contemplating his next words.

“What is wrong with you? Do not answer with lies or I will burn all your clothes,” the threat apparently resulted in a muffled dry chuckle from Myungsoo. “But I am serious, Soo. Tell me what is wrong. I know there is definitely something wrong with you, it’s all written all over your face.”

Myungsoo’s face darkened, and for a second he really wanted to emphasize what he had said long ago that he never liked it whenever one of them asked about his privacy. But this time, he only drew a quite breath and turned his gaze toward Sungyeol.

“I promise I will tell you soon. Not now, not later, but soon. Now, if you excuse me.” Myungsoo then walked past Sungyeol, heading for the exit. Sungyeol, unable to respond, stood there for a moment before he shook his head in amusement.

As soon as Myungsoo swung the house door open, he collapsed on the floor. He felt he no longer have any more strength to get up, so he crawled toward his bedroom and leaned on the wall to take out Yoojung’s photo from his pocket.

“I missed you.” He whispered before he planted a soft kiss on the photo. “So much, too much, even. I am still not over the grief, the loss, everything, Yoojung. I have accepted the fact that you are no longer here, but still…” he wavered, battling against the urge within himself to scream and cry out loud. “I still love you, then, now, and ever, Yoojung.”

On the other hand, Soojung became worried since she had not heard anything from Myungsoo. Their agencies had a joint contract, but it was rare to see the boys around, let alone the mysterious Myungsoo. She clutched her phone on her chest, hesitating of whether or not she should send a message to make herself sure about Myungsoo’s condition. Her lips puckered, she hated being unsure but she could not push herself any further again for it might make Myungsoo feel she was trying to perform an intrusion to his privacy. At the end, she typed a message to the male—and it took her five minutes to type and retype the words she thought may sound rude to him.

 

To: Ice oppa
Message: Haven’t seen you around, Myungsoo-ssi. I thought by having a joint contract between the agencies would make me see you and INFINITE around more often.

 

A buzz from his phone startled Myungsoo from his trance. He was too tired to feel anything and at this moment he numbed himself from the feelings, and it strangely made him more comfortable. He swiped his phone open to see the notification.

 

From: (unsaved number)
Message: Haven’t seen you around, Myungsoo-ssi. I thought by having a joint contract between the agencies would make me see you and INFINITE around more often.

 

“It’s a good thing I’m not feeling anything for now.” He murmured to himself and this time, he decided to reply the message.

 

To: (unsaved number)
Message: Sorry to burst your bubbles but I prefer wandering alone to having myself locked in the big building.

 

Soojung could feel her ribcages swelling the moment Myungsoo replied to her message. It was certainly more than enough for her to feel relieved, despite her frown when she read the message. In seconds, she typed the reply.

 

To: Ice oppa
Message: Never expect anything honestly, but good to know that. I thought you might be dead.

 

“Insolent girl.” Myungsoo grumbled, not attempting to reply the message again. Instead, he approached his bed to rest—his body had launched a massive protest—but just before he fell asleep, a thing struck him in a sudden. He noted it already that Soojung and Yoojung are different, but there was a thing that made them alike; their witty remarks. When the memory of him talking to Soojung at the café weeks ago came again, Myungsoo became conscious of how she talked, and another realization made his heart skip a beat.

They undoubtedly resembled each other, and Myungsoo almost taught they were twins, but then he remembered Yoojung was the only child in her family. Their surnames were different too; Jung Soojung and Jeon Yoojung.

“This is not a mere coincidence, I am sure of that.” He groaned, not liking the possible chances of them being friends, or met somewhere, or whatsoever, but nevertheless, he was convinced by himself that it indeed was not just the fate playing a game on them. “I will try to figure it out.”

 


A/N: Hello!! First of all, I'd like to apologize for the pending update because I was absorbed with MAMA yesterday ;; and thank you for subscribing! I really appreciate it :D comments are encouraged too~ I will try to keep the fic updated daily so please expect for it.