1 - Encounter

Apprehensive

It was a cold day. Myungsoo wrapped himself with a blanket while sipping his favorite jasmine tea. A quick glance at the window confirmed that the sky was rather murky today, and he did not want to risk himself to go outside although it was weekend. A pile of books stood next to him, some were opened, with his glasses holding the paper on place. The male was about to finish off the book he had been reading when a loud beep erupted from his phone, making him grunt underneath his breath.

From: (unsaved number)
Message: Um, hello, is this Kim Myungsoo?

His brows furrowed as he reread the message, thinking of who he or she might be since he kept all his personal information private, let alone sharing it to anyone. He was always alone, after all, and he literally had no idea how someone could send him a message, even when he never told out his number. Giving up on figuring the sender, he tossed his phone away and began reading his novel again.

Few hours earlier.

The windy day did not seem to bother the young girl who was ambling down an alley with plastic bags in her hands. She hummed in joy, apparently not caring of the temperature that went colder as second passed before she felt like she stomped on something hard, Curious, she looked down and found out that she stepped on a silver, cat-shaped keychain.
"Whose keychain is this?" she murmured while scrutinizing it, and saw a piece of information written on the back of the keychain.

If found, please return to Kim Myungsoo - +82...

Along with a phone number as well.

The girl widened her eyes for a moment before she giggled enthusiastically, and ran toward her house--a dorm, actually--as fast as she can, not forgetting to pocket the keychain first.

"VICT EOMMA, I'M HOME!" Without taking a glance at the woman she shouted at first, she dashed up the stairs and locked her room in no time. A wide smile painted on her countenance as she took her phone and began typing something.

 

On Monday, Myungsoo finally figured out why the mysterious sender had his phone number--he was checking his bag when he did not see his beloved cat keychain anywhere, even when he had rummaged the house--and he got to find his keychain back. He fished out his phone from his pocket and typed the text.

To: (unsaved number)
Message: I am. I figured out you must have my keychain with you, so I hope you will return it to me today, at the cafe next to Woollim Entertainment building, 3 PM.

The male then continued his pace, if he's not hurry he would miss his work and he did not want that above anything to happen.

"Hey, Myungsoo, you seem exhausted," his band mate, Dongwoo, greeted him with a grin on his lips. Myungsoo only gave out a little smile and continued stalking toward the studio. Dongwoo, instead of getting annoyed, could only laugh as if he was used to be treated that way, especially by the male who just walked past him.

As soon as he unlocked his room, he slumped down his body on the couch nearby, and it was when his phone vibrated.

From: (unsaved number)
Message: Well, I do. I will meet you there. ^^

"Alright," the male murmured, not intending to reply the text any further. He closed his eyes, and soon he was drifting into a deep slumber.

"Soo, wake up," the voice sounded distant and with a gentle nudge on his side, Myungsoo finally snapped his eyes open, and Sungyeol was standing before him.

"Huh, what time is it, Yeol?"

"6 PM."

"WHAT?" Myungsoo jolted up from his position all of sudden, and rapidly blinked his eyes to regain his sense. "Why didn't nobody wake me up?"

"Soo, we've been together for years and we all know how hard it is to wake you up." Myungsoo sneered at the elder male and abruptly typed a text to the mysterious sender.

To: (unsaved number)
Message: I'm sorry, I overslept. How about tomorrow?

In seconds, the reply arrived.

From: (unsaved number)
Message: Oh... Sure, no worries. 

Myungsoo felt a pang of guilt inside his head, and he quickly shook it off as he took his belongings, bidding his goodbye to Sungyeol.

Meanwhile, at the cafe, a pretty girl who had been sitting alone for a few hours seemed like she battled against her urge to cry and quickly stormed off from the place. She had been waiting for hours and Myungsoo did not come.

"It's okay," she mumbled to herself, edged herself to the wall while striding toward her dorm. "I can wait even longer, oppa."

 

Today, Myungsoo made sure he would not oversleep again by drinking a cup of Americano coffee to keep himself awake. When the clock struck 3 PM, he, in a flash, hurried toward the cafe and sat on a table that was visible from the outside, in case if the mysterious person knew him.

One, two, and three hours had passed and he did not spot anyone whom he thought may be the one holding his keychain. He had gulped down four cups of Americano and he cursed, well aware that he would not sleep tonight. He eventually got tired and hastily went back home, noting in his mind to scold the person once they meet later.

While at the girl's dorm...

"EONNI I SAW HIM!" the girl screamed, apparently unable to hide her happiness. Another girl, who sat in front of the cheerful girl, clapped her hands and smiled widely to appreciate the younger one.

"Then, did you return the keychain?" she inquired, curiosity was visible all over her face.

"No, Luna eonni..." the young girl looked at her own sneakers, apparently feeling guilty. Luna heaved a sigh and stood up to drape her arm around the shoulder.

"Soojung, no matter how nervous you are when you see him, you still need to return the keychain. It might be important to him, if it is not he wouldn't write his number in case the keychain is lost." Luna patted Soojung's shoulder twice, and left the younger girl to contemplate about what she is going to do.

As soon as he reached home, he sent another text to the mysterious person.

To: (unsaved number)
Message: Where were you?

The reply came some seconds later.

From: (unsaved number)
Message: I’m sorry for not telling you earlier that I couldn’t make it. Tomorrow, I promise. ^^

 

Myungsoo drew out a small sigh and decided not to reply the text and went straight to sleep instead.

 

The next day, Myungsoo determined to wait for the person all day long, thus, he chose to stay at the café since this morning, with a cup of espresso accompanying him.

To: (unsaved number)
Message: I’m at the café now. Black, head to toe.

 

He waited again, his fingers knocking on the table, and he kept glancing outside, trying to find the person based on his guts.

On the other hand, Soojung rushed to the café after reading the text sent to her; she did not want to disappoint the elder male ever again. She preened the hem of her shirt and peered inside, and noticed Myungsoo’s presence immediately. She cleared and began approaching the dark charcoal-haired man, trying to make herself appear confident.

“Hi, Myungsoo-ssi?” a small, shy smile made its way to the girl’s lips while greeting the male.

“I am,” Myungsoo observed the girl before him from her hair to toe, looking disinterested at her. “You must be the person who contacted me some days ago, right?”

“Yes,” Soojung then held out her hand. “My name is Jung Soojung, others know me as Krystal.”

Myungsoo blinked for a few times as he shook her hand, inwardly admiring how smooth her hand was. Her scent lingered around him, and thankfully it was a pleasant one; it felt like morning sea breeze hit him hard, his nostrils were filled by the scent of flowers that he could depict laying on beds of grass. It refreshed his mind, and he found himself trying to sniff the scent again. He quickly dispersed the thought and flashed a thin smile.

“Sit first. Would you like some coffee?” The male tilted his head toward the menu board, gesturing the brown-haired girl to order anything she liked. He called the waiter and glanced back at the girl before her.

“One cappuccino, please.” The waiter nodded and went away.

“Where did you find my keychain?” Myungsoo inquired, with a hint of hostile tinting his voice. Soojung shot a perplexed look before she was able to answer.

“O-oh, I found it when I was on my way to home,” she retorted, her lips were slightly trembled. “And I messaged you right away,” Soojung fished out her jeans pocked and handed the keychain to the male before him.

“You sure you did not steal it?”

The girl could not help to shoot a death glare toward him, why the hell would she steal it anyway?

“No, Myungsoo-ssi,” she calmly explained herself. “This is actually my first time seeing you, I do not know that you have such a fancy keychain,” she stressed out the ‘fancy’ word and put up her best smile.

Fingers crossed.

Myungsoo remained silent while his fingers played with the keychain. Little did she know that the keychain itself was precious to him, so precious that he could not bear to lose it.

“Thank you for pointing out the fanciness, Soojung-ssi. It really is fancy and it’s hard to find the keychain, even the similar one, anywhere else,” he murmured, eyes glued to his treasured keychain. Soojung could see that his expression softened and became more stoic. It intrigued her to find out what secret lied beneath the keychain, but she decided to listen whatever the male had to say. “because it was a gift from my mother, and it is the only memento I have to reminisce her.”

Soojung listened to the male attentively, a hint of pity showed on her face yet she concealed it almost immediately. She tucked some strands of her hair behind her ear, the urge to comfort Myungsoo was there, and she suppressed it.

“I see,” she finally responded after contemplating on what she should utter. “it must be hard for you.”

“Yeah, thank you.”

The talks continued and both did not realize the night had come, and Myungsoo offered the girl to walk her home, which she accepted.

It has been long since Myungsoo actually smiled and he finally did it again when he had such a pleasant conversation with Soojung.

For the first time in his life, he wished that the day could last longer.

 

To: (unsaved number)
Message: Thank you for today. Turned out it was great to know you, really.

 

From: (unsaved number)
Message: You’re welcome, Myungsoo-ssi. If you need someone to accompany you, don’t hesitate to hit me up! :)

 

To: (unsaved number)
Message: Surely will. Good night, have a nice dream.

 

For the first time in his life, Myungsoo was able to sleep comfortably without having to afraid of what tomorrow might offer him.