2 - Confusion

Apprehensive

The morning came, and Myungsoo woke up with some kind of unfamiliar feelings running through his system. In a daze, he checked over his phone and found nothing there. For a moment, he himself was confused why he had to check his phone since it was not his actual routine to do so. He groaned and eventually got himself up and walked leisurely toward his bathroom, not allowing the feelings to seize him. He the cold shower and let the water drench him, and when he finished, he felt freshened, ready to go to work.

Soojung, on the opposite side, spent the beginning of her day with staring blankly at the window, trying to picture what just happened yesterday. It dashed fast in her mind as if the memory was playing a fast-forwarded movie and she could not do anything to make it stop. It had been her dream to talk to the cold man whom she just met yesterday, the remote, seeming distant man, whose vibe intrigued her to get to know him further. She knew it was not a piece of cake at all; the invisible barrier the male had put around him made it harder for practically anyone to get close to him. Soojung understood that, because she did that, too. A long silence, and she huffed out a sigh, sensing her lips twitch into a light smile.

At least, I got to talk to him even just for a while.” she mumbled to herself and hurriedly ran toward her bathroom to get herself ready.

 

“Soojung, you’re so quiet today,” Victoria asked, her face showed full concern upon glancing at the youngest girl. Soojung had not spoken any word ever since the girls met and it was unusual, for she was a bright, cheerful girl who liked to bicker her older eonnis. Victoria, Amber, and Luna shared a look and when the oldest female snapped her fingers as a cue, they surrounded Soojung, arms draped around her shoulder, serious faces scrutinized Soojung in a way that forced the quite one to utter a light chuckle, although seconds later her face turned blank again, as if her mind drifted somewhere else.

“Soojung,” Victoria softly called her name, and Soojung did not answer, nor did her body show any response.

“Princess,” this time, Amber was the one calling her, and still no response.

“Soojung,” Luna tried with her clear, high-pitched voice and this time, Soojung blinked her eyes, trying to figure out what is happening now.

“Y-yes?” The youngest girl flushed, embarrassed of getting caught off guard. She inwardly cursed, struggling to regain her composure.

“What has gotten into you?” The question started off a session of interrogation, in which Soojung stuttered at every answer she gave out, and finally a question coming from Luna successfully silenced her.

“Was this because of the man you have been repeatedly telling me?”

A flabbergasted look was visible on Soojung’s face, and she had to take a deep breath before she could actually answer the question.

“Well...,” she hesitated, gambling on what reaction she might get if she told her eonnis the truth, and her decision was firm. “No, I am sure of it. I’ve got no time to think of such trivial things.”

Her eonnis, again, glanced at each other and sighed, still not knowing what was wrong with their precious, youngest member.

“Then what happened to you, Soojung?” Amber inquired, still eager to know.

“Nothing, really. I was just in a trance and daydreamed of me being a mere girl.” She feigned a weary smile and finally excused herself to crawl back to her bed, ignoring the callings from the older females, even the manager.

Soojung stood in front of the mirror, eyeing herself from head to toe, and her gaze then locked on her own features, her lips moving, letting out a whisper.

“What is wrong with me, why am I like this? It’s not like I fall for Myungsoo oppa already but…,” her words trailed off as she narrowed her eyes, and the questions she had for herself were finally answered in a form of self-reassurance. “It’s only because I’m too excited from being able to talk to him. I’m certain of it.”

 

The day was dull like usual, at least for Myungsoo. Practice, practice, and more practice, a little break, and practice again. At times, he tended to regret his decision of signing up as this band’s member but most of the time he was positive he would reach a bright future here—and he did, so far. Although he was not the dance prodigy in the group, at least his musical talent could amaze people. His guitar skill was able to lure women who had gotten attracted just by his physical appearance, but actually Myungsoo never minded the attention. Why would he, after all?

Once he got his break, the male plopped his weight on the couch, heaving out an exhausted sigh while digging up his pocket to take out his treasured keychain.

Ironically, it was the keychain that brought him to meet that girl. Soojung? Myungsoo barely remembered her name, not that he cared about it. He played with the keychain, tossing it to the air when his mind recalled the event where it made the keychain so important to him.

 

Thirteen years ago, everything was better. The young boy lived his life happily with his parents and his only little brother. They were not rich back then, but Mr. and Mrs. Kim always taught their boys to be thankful for everything they had, thus the happy life they lived.

It was a fine Saturday morning when his mother came back home and called for Myungsoo to meet her on the living room. Myungsoo had always been calm and composed since he was a kid, and without saying any words, he went downstairs, part of him was curious of what brought his mother to call him this early, and he found the answer not long after.

“Soo, I bought you something,” she finally spoke up, her hand rummaging her bag and she took out a shining, silver keychain. She held it mid-air for a moment before handing it to the boy who looked a bit tedious. “Thought you like cats, but unfortunately, I searched it to no avail, so I specially ordered it from my friend.” Her face gleamed with joy, a wide smile decorating her visage. “Do you like it?”

Myungsoo studied the keychain; it was a shape of a cat sitting on its four legs, its tail was a bit too long for its body. He flipped it and he found himself looking at an empty white space made from plastic—he had no idea why it was there. A moment, and he looked up to meet his mother’s gaze, flashing a thin, thankful smile for the gift. “I do, eomma. Thank you.”

His mother’s face looked more gleeful and she reached out to mess the dark charcoal hair—which was responded by a snort from the boy—the smile held itself firm on Mrs. Kim’s lips. "I’m glad that it was not a waste, then.”

 

“Soo?”

A voice stopped his recollecting thoughts, and Sungyeol, with his authentic gummy smile, popped his head from outside. Myungsoo frowned, yet in a flash he put up his usual expressionless face.

“What is it, Yeol?”

“It’s getting late. Want to grab some dinner before you get home?” Sungyeol’s smile grew wider, his brows wiggling in a rather mild suggestive way. Myungsoo was silent, seeming like he was considering the offer, but then he shook his head to let Sungyeol know his answer.

“Thanks, but I got some things to do tonight. Later, perhaps?” A light smile followed after, and Myungsoo collected his belongings. “Send my regards to the hyungs, tell them I’m sorry.”

A hint of dismal flashed on the elder male’s face, but if Myungsoo noticed it, he did not show any responses. “Very well then, Soo. Take care on your way and we’ll surely be waiting for you on our next dinner!” and with that, the door was shut.

 

To reply, or not to reply.

Soojung had been fighting against herself whether she should reply the last message sent by Myungsoo or not. In fact, she really wanted to, but her sane side told her not to. Besides, what kind of topic would she bring up at the conversation? Far worse, she knew she would not able to keep the conversation going. The girl threw herself onto the bed in desperation, she had been waiting for the moment where she could actually talk to the Ice Prince. The moment had come days ago, but unfortunately, they met in such an unfortunate circumstance. Soojung’s heart felt heavy, but her name would not be Jung Soojung if she gave up this fast.

To: Ice oppa
Message: Hi, Myungsoo-ssi. It’s me, Soojung. I do hope you still remember me.

Little did she know the male she just messaged was groaning in his sleep, feeling bugged by the loud beep coming from his phone. Squinting his eyes, he roamed his end table and took his phone, swearing he would hate anybody who dared enough to wake him up.

From: (unsaved number)
Message: Hi, Myungsoo-ssi. It’s me, Soojung. I do hope you still remember me.

Myungsoo was taken aback once he recognized the sender. He only stared at his phone screen, unsure of what he would do.

“Why did she reply my message, though? I think the business is done already.” He murmured to himself, his voice was hoarse. He was about to reply the text when he remembered this girl had disturbed his sleep. He had become too annoyed to reply the text and went back to sleep instead.

“I know that would not work.” Soojung groaned when she took a glance at the clock. It had been an hour since she sent the message, yet there was still no replies coming from the male. “Why would I try, anyway? Stupid Soojung.” She cursed to herself, a hand never stop knocking her head while she walked back and forth inside her room. “What am I going to do, damn it?” Another curse bounced on the walls, trailed by more curses until she grew weary of criticizing herself for being silly and let the drowsiness drifted her consciousness away.


A/N: Hello! I am trying my best to put up with the story, as well as updating it on a daily basis. I'm terribly sorry if I tend to keep being repetitive although I have tried not to do that, but I'm sure I will progress as the time passes. I hope you enjoy my story! :)