Court Prince

Court Prince

[Tiffany's POV]

“See you next week Tiff! Don’t forget about the article that Mrs. Lee asked you to pass. Boy, that woman will turn crazy.” One of my journalism editors warned me. Nevermind, as if I will never do that article tonight. Piece of cake. I was in the school park rummaging through my bag when I felt someone’s presence behind me.

“Can we talk?” Without further explanations or whatsoever, Taeyeon pulled my wrist and started dragging me- or us into his car. Nevertheless, I tried to act as calm as possible.

No one has to know that I’m having those so-called “butterflies in my stomach” thing.

No one has to know.

Unbeknownst to everyone, I was indeed falling for that unreachable ball player. The way he stared at me during those times of tutoring him with Calculus, the time when he even helped me decorate the Journalism office without me asking him, those simple but hearty meals we shared, and most of all, the moment I realized that he is the contradict of what he shows everyone. Before, it is just between the two of us that Taeyeon keeps on being silly and goofy but only the blind could not see the gradual softness he is showing everyone now. I honestly do not know the exact turning point when everything changed, but I am more than glad to have found someone as warm yet firm as him.

And the thing I’m glad about is the fact that his icy aura is slowly dissipating, melting the deadly chunks of ignorance and hate he used to have for the world. Of course being myself, I settled myself in the soft cushions of his blue convertible. It is really awkward to be next to someone whom you feel deeply for. Or that’s just me.

I don’t really know.

Despite the softness, love is still spelt by time. I am aware of the not-so vague pitter-patter of feelings I have for him, but I just sense that Taeyeon is not the type to commit that easily.

Honestly speaking, time is what I needed the most, in order to prove that what I feel is absolutely true. Absolutely sincere. I cannot go on with anything unless I am positively sure of it.

“What are you doing?” The guy suddenly asked, pushing me back to the reality that he’s still there. “What do you mean ‘What are you doing’? I am just here in the backseat, what is wrong with that?"

“Why are you there? Are we enemies or something? Or you just had enough of my handsome angelic face? Spill it now dude.” Taeyeon smirked. As always, he never failed to bring out his cockiness whenever and wherever he goes.

“Yeah right. Tell that to someone who will listen to your immature self-proclaimed ego okay?” Rolling my eyes at him, Taeyeon just smirked, but there is a hint of interest and nervousness in that onyx eyes of his. Or as always, its just me.

“Sit beside me ugly,” he commanded softly. Without hesitation, I got out of the backseat and moved to the passenger side. The moment I entered, I can feel the warmth that may either be coming from Taeyeon himself or from the mere fact that I am sitting next to him.

Minutes later, we arrived at our favorite ice cream parlor. Being the gentleman he is, Taeyeon insisted that the ice cream be unto him, but I won’t settle for that at first. I raised myself to be quite the independent lady because in this generation, it is better to be familiar with how life goes. The world may be cruel, but that’s the way it is.

“How’s everything TaeTae, my-super-duper-handsome-but-really-got-some-altruistic-and-unrealistic-pride-that-no-one-can-stand best friend?” I intended to make the pun as clear as my eyesight to him. I kept myself from laughing hard at the look on his face when he heard what I said.

And yep, no matter how one would wince at us, Taeyeon and I had this silent decision and agreement to be what we are now- best friends.

“Shut up Little-Miss-Journalist-who-is-also-quite-ugly-when-she-wakes-up-who-is-also-my-piglet best buddy?" The moment I heard that from his lips, I lost it.

“Hahahahahahhahaha why are you so funny but annoying at times, TaeTae? Oh my goodness” I cannot help myself from laughing at his remarks awhile ago. He shrugged but I don’t care.

“Why are you smiling?” I teased. “No I’m not,” he defended himself.

“Poor guy, that is so obvious as your height” I teased even more. Teasing a guy like Taeyeon? Perfect hobby.

We both went back to eating our all time favorite ice creams, strawberry for me and chocolate for him. After finishing our meal, we stayed there for a while.

“Fany?”

“Hmm?”

“I have a story.” said Taeyeon. The atmosphere suddenly turned serious.

“I’d like to hear it.”

“Well,” he started. “There is this guy who likes to play a lot, party a lot, and never gave much thought about everything serious. This fool of a guy took everything for granted, just because of the ‘never good enough’ pressure from his own family.”

Saliva started rising up my throat and I swallowed due to nervousness. It seems like I am familiar with this story.

Way too familiar.

“One annoying day, he woke up late due to basketball training. The season’s off to a start and he could not afford to fail. As he passed by the corridors, he bumped into a girl. She’s some sort of a nerd but not really one. And to think that she was also assigned to cover the guy’s athlete profile for their paper was too much for him back then.”

He paused to drink the remaining soda he had in his cup. I, in turn, was getting more butterflies in my stomach.

“But the time came that he needed her help in order to retain his grades. He could not afford to fail in his grades because it will cause him his glory, his pride, his own self. Little did he know that he was about to gain much more than that. The guy and the girl started classes together, and eventually bonded. They became friends- best friends. But here is the messed up part…” Taeyeon paused.

“He started to feel deeply for the girl.” Taeyeon faced me and I could now see the sad twinkle in his eyes.

“He didn’t want to admit it at first, but one could not just ignore something that was continuously being slapped into his face. He thought it was just that he found her eyesmile beautiful or whatsoever. The guy realized everything and subtly but not so subtly expressed his feelings for the girl, unbeknownst to her. He was afraid that when she finds out, it might ruin the bliss that they’re sharing but for him, he needed to take a risk. Though skeptical, he continued to slowly break his walls for her. Heck, he was willing to do anything for her.”

From his words, I do not know what to say nor think. I was just daydreaming about Taeyeon awhile ago without realizing that he… oh my goodness, he just confessed to me!

“What is the story trying to relay, TaeTae?” I quietly asked.

“Can’t you see the symbolism Fany? Can’t you see that you’re the only girl who ever made that guy in the story feel that way? Or are you waiting for me to admit-wait scratch that- you want me to directly say that I am the freaking guy in that story?” Taeyeon asked me.

“Tae—“ I am just in pure shock.

“I like you Fany. Or maybe like is too light because I’m in love with you? I’m not even sure that’s love that I’m feeling for you, but if that is not love then I don’t know what is.” Taeyeon hurried to utter those words before I could say anything.

Everything happened so fast. One minute we were eating the next thing I knew, he was confessing his feelings for me.

Flattering it must be to be liked, or even loved by someone like Taeyeon but I was not yet prepared. He talked of that so casually that I didn’t even had the time to answer him back.

“Uhm, Tae please give me a bit more time.” That’s what I could say at the moment.

“I understand how it feels Fany-ah. I perfectly do. To show that I’m respecting you, please remember that you have all the time to think about it. Please?” Taeyeon answered back.

“You’re the only one who made me this way. And please know, I will never let you slip from my hands.” He softly attuned but with an air of that boyish confidence and finality in his voice.

Not wanting to cause a stir in this place and to avoid the awkward silence, I managed a small smile and told him I should probably go.

“Think about it Fany.” He called before I turned my back and left the place.

It's not because I don’t like you Taeyeon. I really do. Please let me be myself for quite some time and discern everything. I never wanted to engage in something when I’m unsure about it. If I’m going in a commitment, I wanted to be in for good.

So Taeyeon, I will be back. I’ll make myself worthy of you. I promise.

[Taeyeon’s POV]

A day. Escalated into a few weeks. Now, its been a month since Tiffany and I last talked normally. Aside from occasional bumps and small talks in the corridors, I feel like she was avoiding me. I honestly think she thought that I will never notice but I am not that naïve. I told her to take her time and I meant it, but why does it feel like I did something to make her possibly hold back? I even caught her running away as she slammed her locker door shut upon seeing me approach her. Fortunately, I was faster so I managed to reach her.

"Hey Tiff, what’s up? Is there something wrong?” I asked the calmest way possible so as not to startle my girl.

Yes, my girl. That name is so perfect that I think its made for me to say.

“I’m sorry Taeyeon but Ms. Jung called for a meeting at this instant. Talk to you some other time. Bye!” And with just that, she left me hanging.

But because I am not wanting to fight, I understood her. I imagined myself in her shoes and I think I would feel the same. It was my bad that I chose the wrong time to confess, but I feel that I would burst if I kept all of my feelings bottled up. They’re still the same and if anything, what I have for her just keeps on getting deeper.

Tiffany Hwang, what did you do to me?

[Tiffany's POV]

I was obviously avoiding Taeyeon for quite some time now. Do not judge me, I have my reasons. With that time away from him, I wanted to have assurance of how I truly feel for him. I do not want to think that our connection is just there because of some common denominators that we had. I want the time with Taeyeon to be worth every minute and every second, enjoying everything even with the absence of the things that brought us together. I want to cherish time amidst the emptiness, for I know that he will be the one to fill the void. And I’m willing to do the same for him.

There’s never a time that I do not miss that guy. Everything he did for me, it just proved how he meant those words he uttered a month ago. It is hard not to talk to him when I am dying to go out and enjoy those moments we had before. However, balance is what I want to have as my mantra. School. Family. Priorities. Love. I believe that there is a time for everything. As I wait for the perfect timing to answer Taeyeon, I devoted my whole time in reviewing for the exams, finalizing the school paper, reading the remaining books for Literature, and continuing to tutor those who are struggling with Calculus.

“Hey Tiffany, what is this article?” My friend Kris asked me.

“Oh its for the feature about Kim Taeyeon.” I simply answered. Kris seemed to understand and continued to work with his layout without questions.

I sighed as I continued editing some hard stuff. I am ready to face him.

[Taeyeon’s POV]

“Hey dude! Look at this school paper!” Oh please Yul, its Monday and you’re yelling in my ears? Please stop.

“Yeah right but if you want to know something BIG, turn to the feature section of the paper.” He smirked and scurried away. I ignored all the curious stares I’m currently receiving and went on to proceed to my desk. One article quickly caught my eye.

“More Than Just A Court Prince. By: Tiffany Hwang."

“More Than Just A Court Prince

By: Tiffany Hwang

Explosive speed. Impeccable charms. A beast in the court. That’s just some of the words often associated with Taeyeon- a simple name with a not so simple background and talent. Meet him? We will.

An 18 year old ladies’ man who has captivated the hearts and fangirling luxury of everyone involved in the SMAA. Blessed with a talent for basketball and undoubtly good looks, Kim Taeyeon is sure out to catch one’s attention. A member of the SM Varsity, a loving brother and son, a reliable friend, a brilliant student, and a caring man himself, Taeyeon may be deemed as the total package. Mr. Kim indulges himself in morning workouts to attain a toned body. He has displayed a quite exceptional knack for the Calculus subject as well. The one thing known about him is the cold city-guy façade but if Taeyeon is to be bonded with, one will discover unusual softness and caring personality which in turn contradicts the latter impression of him. If anything, I would like to reach out to everyone and be honest with how I feel towards this court star. Being with him for quite a long time, this proved that Taeyeon is more than just a court prince. He became my knight in shining basketball suit, the one who made me feel my worth at its ultimate best, the one who gave me more than a pair of strong arms, and the only one I committed myself to.

So Taeyeon if you’re reading this, I am waiting. I have known your worth, I have realized that we are committed to each other even without those “labels”. But, fear got the best of me because this is an entirely new feeling. Please know that the time we had apart didn’t make me waver in my feelings for you; in fact, I itched to be with you everyday. I know this is shameless of me, begging for you when I was the one who ran away in the first place. I just had to this for us. I had to make sure that these kaleidoscope of feelings are true and not just spur of the moment ones. I am sorry, but it's time that I fight for what we have.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the thief who stole my heart.

The one who slayed my heart and will continue to do so.

Kim Taeyeon.”

I carefully read the article made by my girl. I can’t help but fall deeper for her. Every word, every thought stung not because of expected rejection, but the reciprocated feeling that Tiffany has for me. I couldn’t believe everything, but I am more than blissful.

Without further thought, I ran out of the room, never caring if the bell’s about to ring. I ran as if my life depended on it. Don’t wait for me Tiffany. I am always yours.

You wait for me Tiffany Hwang. I’ll be coming to you. I’ll be home.

END

------------------------------

Yeah. My first oneshot. Lol. Please let me know your thoughts about it. :) Did I improve lol? (If I did then I would update my two ongoing fics) Hahahaha. So yeah. 'Til next time.

DO YOU GUYS WANT A SEQUEL? Because I'm willing to write one is you want *winks*