Feelings

The Mysterious Girl

Ever since the two of us hung out at the school garden, it became a common habit of ours to be there after school and after we bid our goodbyes to our other friends. It feels like a special connection between two individuals who are the same… and yet at the same time, different. We are similar in the sense that we both didn’t have friends until recently while we are different because she has felt and gone through the brute of human nature while I had it easy as compared to her.

 

We would usually have heart-to-heart talks between us in the garden. She would talk about how she grew to love basketball and how she was rather popular in class because she could play it well. She could go on and on about basketball, like her dream to watch NBA in the stadium itself, rather than watching on live streams, and how she wanted autographed basketballs by her favourite players. And sometimes, we would also talk about our feelings when we were isolated in school, exchanging our encounters with some schoolmates and then laughing it off together because we have made it through those times no matter how difficult it felt then.

 

We were at our usual spot after school and Amber was reading her book while I buried my head in my arms, trying to take a short nap until Amber is done reading and is ready to head home. I couldn’t seem to fall asleep though so I turned to Amber who was on my left while my head continued to rest on my arms.

 

“Why do you like reading so much?”

 

She closed her book and rested her head on her arms, just like me and turned towards me.

 

“Because it brings me away from reality. It gives me a sense of comfort, away from loneliness. And it also makes me realise that there are others who are probably facing conditions that are worse than mine. It also makes me aware that in this world, there are also people who would love someone else unconditionally. Be it friends or lovers. That is how I overcome the depression I faced after the injury.”

 

I looked into her eyes that is filled with emotions and stared at her brown eyes for a moment before waking up to reality.

 

“Are you done? Shall we go?” I asked.

 

She nodded her head and stood up. I stood up soon after and grabbed her bag, swinging it before placing the strap on my shoulder.

 

Since we live quite a distance away from school, the bus ride back home was long. Even though it is the evening rush hour, we were lucky to be able to find two seats in the bus and settled down immediately. As we plucked in our earpieces into our respective ears and devices, the atmosphere between us came to a comfortable silence as we bring ourselves into the world of music.

 

Around 10 minutes into the ride, I felt a weight on my right shoulder and found the head of my seat partner, Amber Liu. Her eyes were closed. She fell asleep after a long and tiring day in school.

 

I turned to my right and looked at her features, examining them attentively. From her thick eyebrows, to her thick eyelashes that probably wouldn’t even require mascara, down to those eyes that are getting their much deserved rest, the cute button nose she had and the mouth that gives her dorky smile.

 

I realised how defined her features are. And I also realised, how hard my heart is beating right now. I could feel the blood rushing through my cheeks, and even if the air-con in the bus is freezing cold at the moment, I am starting to feel hot…

 

I don’t know how long have I been staring at her face for, but I suddenly felt a jerk on the bus and turned my head forward, hands reaching out to the seat handle in front of me. The jerking of the bus woke Amber up too and upon realising that she was leaning on me, she sat up straight, maintaining her posture.

 

“Oops sorry. I fell asleep.” She took out her earpiece and scratched her head.

 

“Nah, it’s okay. You were tired anyways.” I assured.

 

The atmosphere felt slightly awkward now probably because Amber felt sorry for falling asleep and leaning on me.

 

We reached our stop 30 minutes later and got off the bus. Since Amber lives two blocks away from me, I would always walk her home while helping her to carry her bag.

 

The walk towards her home was still slightly awkward, but it was more towards the same comfortable silence that was felt at the beginning of the bus ride than the awkwardness that was felt when the bus jerked and woke Amber up.

 

And in no time, we are at her doorstep.

 

“Okay, we are here. Thank you for sending me home and helping me to carry my bag.” She gave a slight smile.

 

“No problem. We stay in the same district and it is on my way anyway.” I returned her smile with another smile.

 

“Nonetheless, thank you. Goodbye and goodnight! See you tomorrow!”

 

“See you tomorrow!” and with that, she turned and head towards her door.

 

After bidding our goodbyes and seeing her entering her home, I strolled back home, thinking about the moment where I stared at her features and felt my face blushing. I was feeling the strong beat of my heart as it raced faster the more I recall her features and the way she sleeps. And it is as if it was a déjà vu that I felt my blood gushing to my cheeks once again as her features keep appearing in my mind. This is a whole new feeling that I am experiencing, it is exciting and scary at times.

 

I got home soon even though I strolled back because it was a short distance walk from Amber’s house. I could guess that my face was blushing red because I could hear my sister asking me if I am alright the moment she saw me at the door.

 

“Y-yeah I am fine.” I don’t know why, but I actually stuttered…

 

“Are you sure you are really fine? Your face is so red!” she claimed and placed her left palm on my forehead and her right palm on hers, trying to see if there is a difference in temperature.

 

“You don’t have a fever though. Are you sure you are really alright? Mom and Dad aren’t home today. They are at a friend’s place for tonight for a gathering. I could send you to the clinic now if you want.” Concern was evident in her tone.

 

“Yes Jess, I am really fine. Probably because of the changing seasons.”

 

She gave a slight frown, but still believed in my statement.

 

“Okay, if that is the case then you should be alright. Go get a warm bath now while I prepare a cup of milk for you.” She shoo-ed me into the bathroom.

 

When I got back to my room after the bath, I found a cup of warm milk sitting on the desk beside my bed. I finished drinking it in no time and since I felt tired, I went straight to bed after telling my sister that I am skipping dinner. I had to assure her that I am fine, just that I am tired after a long day in school since it is a rare occasion for me to skip dinner.

 

And as I lay on my bed, staring at my ceiling, thinking about the earlier encounters, and before I closed my eyes, I concluded that “I am starting to fall for you, Amber.” And fell into a deep slumber after that.

 

A/N: Second last update before we bid goodbye to this story ^^ a new character would be in the last chapter hehehe