chapter 4: "opportunities multiply as they are seized"

She's A Dreamer

The weekend went by quick, mostly because Haesoo spent the days moping around in her room. Added the fact that her mother was on a vacation in Jeju-do and there was just her guardian with her at home, the house was silent and calm, the perfect condition for a sleep marathon.

The amount of time she spent relaxing only came to bite her back in the on the blue Monday as the undone homework landed her in a lot of trouble. In total, Haesoo had gotten herself 8 hours of cleaning and 2 demerit points.

However, her worry was mostly just about Chanwoo, and the fight they had. Since that night, the two hadn’t called or texted. Chanwoo was completely missing in action, and Haesoo wasn’t about to start a new conversation with the guy who had just dissed her when she was trying to surprise him.

The mere thought of the events on Friday only depressed her further as she proceeded with the cleaning duty when everyone had left for lunch.

She just couldn’t believe it. She sacrificed so much for him, and they were so happy. Those memories weren’t going to disappear so easily. They meant a lot to her. She couldn’t imagine a life where Chanwoo would continue to look at her with the eyes he had that night.

Just the thought of his eyes – his angry eyes – made the hair on her back stand.

Her time alone didn’t last as she was joined with Jisoo who came back with sandwiches. Haesoo only smiled a small smile upon his entrance, very thankful to him but unable to express it energetically.

She began eating her tuna sandwich, taking unusually small bites. Jisoo caught this.

“Not hungry?” he asked, leaning lazily against the back of his chair.

Haesoo shook her head, her eyes fixed on the floor. Jisoo smirked, knowing just how to address the current state of Haesoo.

“What happened?” he asked, knowing perfectly well that the two words never failed to set Haesoo on rant mode, later making her feel better.

As he had expected, the girl began reiterating the events to him. Once she was done, she sighed deeply, slouching.

Meanwhile, Jisoo was still in shock. “You… freaking… snuck in…?”

“Yes, that’s what I said,” Haesoo irritably replied.

Jisoo shook his head, eyeing her. “You’re ing crazy.”

He found himself laughing at how true those words were. Haesoo was just crazy. The balls she had just astounded him.

But seeing how she wasn’t as excited as he was impressed, he calmed himself down. “Right.. so, he’s mad. Well… it’s because of the risks you put him through when you snuck in.”

Haesoo turned to him, quite shocked. She hadn’t thought of that.

Jisoo always thought practically and always opened the doors to new perspectives for Haesoo. He could, any day, sign up to be her advisor, because he was just so good at the job, being his sophisticated self.

Taking her interest as a sign to continue, he did. “You see… Chanwoo really wants this, right? The guy is on an edge every single day of the special training and when you snuck in to see him, breaking every rule there is, you were the biggest risk that could just end the whole thing for him. That’s why he’s mad, because you put too much at stake that night and basically scared the out of him.”

Haesoo found herself nodding as she took the information in, her lips curved into an “o”. She understood right then, why Chanwoo had been the way he was. Of course her fearless act had been why. It wasn’t because he didn’t want to see her. He had just been so scared about her very illegal presence in the YG building that the frustration from both her surprise visit and the harsh trainings pushed him over the edge and he had lost his temper that night.

It was still scary to think that even after the fight, Chanwoo hadn’t had the nerve to call her to apologise, as she’d expect him to, but the guilt Haesoo felt was stronger. The urge to apologise first began to surface but the attempts at calling Chanwoo after the enlightenment from Jisoo only continuously sent her to the voicemail, making her fear that perhaps Chanwoo would continue to ignore her calls and texts for the rest of the 6-7 months. Maybe even forever.

That would kill her.

She waited until night came. It was midnight soon enough, but nothing came from Chanwoo and the calls continued to fail. Haesoo had even tried to dial Jisoo’s number a couple of times to make sure it wasn’t her phone that was denying the call to her bestfriend. But it wasn’t, and her sadness became more prominent.

Because even when Tuesday came, there was still no word from Chanwoo. Haesoo was more than depressed, to think that their friendship could end like that.

The dynamic duo, and the memories that they shared, would die out, because of one foolish, ugly fight that she caused because she had acted so rashly.

Tuesday went by like Monday did, the unusually depressed Haesoo bringing down the mood of the entire class. Teachers continued to give her demerit points for not listening in class and not completing homework and Haesoo found herself getting kicked out of class more often than usual.

The entire week passed by like that, every day more depressing with no word from Chanwoo. Her heart was heavy.

By Friday, Haesoo could live through no more of the days without Chanwoo, deciding that if it was this painful to go a week without talking to her best friend, it would kill her if it was forever. And so she found herself waiting outside the backdoor of the YG building again that Saturday morning. She’d packed a lot of food and drinks in her bag and dressed adequately so as to not freeze her off outside. It was 3pm and it had been a whole 6 hours of camping outside the building, her food stock beginning to run out.

She wondered how of all the people who came and went through the door, none of them were the iKON members, or anyone famous, at least. They were only crew members, leaving her to wonder if the front door was a more preferred route for the idols. She’d think they wanted privacy through the backdoor, where it was more secluded and probably little people knew about.

She sighed, getting on her feet. Her lips trembled as her eyes dampened with the last look she took on the door. There was no hope at all, and it was time to go home. She wasn’t going to see Chanwoo that day.

As she walked, a loud thud came from right ahead of her and a pen rolled to her feet, right into her view. Haesoo blinked, studying the pen. She then looked up to see the source of the thud and right before her was a tall, dressed man with a pair of black sunglasses and a long coat who was picking up his belongings laid across the floor while cursing to himself at his clumsiness.

Once he was done, he got up and dusted himself, making his way into the backdoor that Haesoo had been staring at the past 6 hours. When it finally dawned on her that the gentleman was leaving without his pen, she picked up the classic pen and rushed to him.

At the moment that he had opened the door, a hand had stopped him. He blinked and raised an eyebrow at the intruder.

His reaction wasn’t one expected by the stunned girl as the male pulled back and took quick steps backwards.

“Wait- Excuse me-” Haesoo tried, but the man continued to look apprehensively towards her.

She grunted. “Excuse me, sir. You dropped your pen.”

Haesoo held up the pen at him and he dropped his gaze to see what she had in hand, flinching a bit at her action when it briefly crossed his mind that it might’ve been a knife. Haesoo caught this and raised an eyebrow, quite amused at how shaken the man looked from her innocent nudge.

“A-ah,” the man stuttered when it finally dawned on him that the girl was harmless. “Y-yeah. Thank you.”

He took the pen from her hand and took off his sunglasses, bowing in thanks. Haesoo blinked at him, shocked. It was Lee Seungri. The actual Big Bang maknae was standing right in front of her and she- she had touched his pen. He even thanked her! This was real life!

“O-oh, you’re…” she trailed off.

The smiley guy flashed her a grin, winking and putting a finger to his lips. “Shh.”

Haesoo quickly bowed and nodded, quite amazed at the presence of the superstar. There would be no end to this re-enactment to the people in her school. There was a huge population of Big Bang fans in her school, aside from her classmates.

As Seungri turned to enter through the door, he paused. “You’re… not coming in?”

Haesoo blinked and looked around her just to make sure. “Me…?”

Seungri looked around, wondering if there was anyone he could’ve been talking to. “Yeah… you… Kim Haesoo-ssi…”

Her heart plummeted to the ground at the mention of her name. “W-wait… How- How do you know my name?”

Haesoo began to imagine all sorts of scenarios in her head – that Seungri was perhaps someone related to her and had met her once when she was a child. In her mind, this was that moment – you know, like in K-Dramas – where she reunites with her long lost cousin. This was a potential fact that she was going to boast so hard at school about to her friends who would totally crown her as the realest Big Bang fan rather than the rotten, arrogant Jo Kangmi.

But this was reality, and none of that crazy imagination of hers was true.

He laughed and pointed at the library card in her lanyard folder. Haesoo’s face fell as quickly as it lit up.

“Hurry, you’re going to be late for evaluation,” he said again, rushing her.

Haesoo blinked a few times, still stunned. “… Huh?”

Seungri stared at her, not understanding the situation. “Hold on… you’re not a trainee?”

A smile broke out on Haesoo’s face. That was funny. Her? A trainee? She shook her head slowly, no, almost laughing. Her nostrils were already flaring.

Seungri frowned. “Then… a crew member? … Ah! So you are Mix and Match’s crew!”

Haesoo shook her head again, slowly this time, because that was such an odd conclusion to make. “No…”

Seungri frowned harder. He looked at her lanyard and back at her face.

“I saw you in the lift that day, though,” he said.

Immediately, Haesoo’s eyes rounded and she finally got why Seungri was thinking she was a trainee. He’d been the male she was with back then in the lift when she had snuck in to see Chanwoo.

She laughed nervously, scratching her head. “Aha… I don’t think.. so.. Hahaha…”

Seungri remained adamant on his case. “Ey! I definitely saw you. You were wearing the same all-black get up and you had that library card lanyard around your neck. Yah…”

He squinted at her library card, confirming her name again, and then looking back up at her. “Kim Haesoo-ssi, are you trying to skip training? Hyunsuk hyung wouldn’t be happy! Your evaluation is in… 10 minutes! Hurry and get your to practice!”

Panicking, Haesoo began to raise her voice. “Excuse me, I’m telling you! I was just passing by! I’m not related to YG in any way possible! ZERO!”

There was no way she was going to jeopardize Chanwoo’s chance because of her foolishness.

Seungri took a step back in defense when she began flailing her arms to emphasise her point. “Okay, okay, okay. I got it.”

Once she had calmed down, he straightened his coat and fixed his posture. “Okay, so… you’re really not a trainee? But you don’t want to be one?”

Haesoo blinked several times. Her eyes were getting tired from the constant blinking following the surreal reality of just talking to Seungri at that moment, added the fact he was just being downright weird with his questions.

“Well… you kind of have that idol look. Are you sure you are just passing by? Not EVEN because of the walk-in audition?”

Haesoo quickly jumped to respond. “Hehe, you’re kidding. Idol look? Really???”

She giggled, actually quite touched. Her sudden abashed expression had Seungri squinting at the blushing girl.

“Tsk. I mean, I guess you kind of have nice skin, maybe, and that unique angry look. You should go for that audition and actually be a YG trainee,” he urged.

But Haesoo shook her head fervently. “Eyyyyyyyyy, can’t be. YG trainee? Eyyyyyyyyyyy.”

Seungri gave another look of disgust. She was the type who denied her own beauty unique to herself, his least favourite. Turn-off.

The lack of confidence was a complete turn-off.

“Say… are you my fan or something?” he asked, genuinely curious about the funny girl.

Haesoo paused. “Well… not saying I’m not your fan… but, well… I love Big Bang but… well…”

Seungri immediately got the message. “Forget it. You’re GD’s fan right?”

“O-ho!” the girl giggled. “You catch on fast!”

Seungri placed the sunglasses back on his face, a more serious aura surrounding him now. “GD-hyung is one of the judges for this audition. If you’re a fan of iKON, they’re watching too. Tablo-hyung too, actually. Lots of famous people in there.”

Haesoo took a double take. “Wait, iKON, you say?”

When Seungri nodded, Haesoo found a hopeful smile breaking across her face. Finally lady luck was smiling upon her. She was going to see Chanwoo!

Seungri continued. “You should put your dancing skills to use here or something. With your looks and personality, I think Hyunsuk-hyung would want you around. Doesn’t hurt to try, you know.”

She frowned, looking at him. Was he seriously not a long-lost cousin she never knew about? How’d he know? About her background in dancing, that is. Only Chanwoo and her family knew about her ballet phase. Even Kim Jisoo had no idea, however close they were.

She shot Seungri a suspicious look. “Excuse me… How do you know that…?”

Seungri dropped his gaze to her calves. “You have dancer calves.”

She looked down at her pale, somewhat-hairy legs. They weren’t thick-hairy but Haesoo had never once shaved in her life so there was hair where girls claimed shouldn’t be. But Seungri was right. Ballet had given her dancer calves.

“Anyway, I hope to see you at the audition. Then you can be a trainee for real and we can erase this weird conversation.”

Haesoo shot him a last smile and gave a bow as he left to enter the building, leaving her pondering upon his suggestion for a few minutes. Was she really going to audition? Nahhhh. But was she going for the audition?

Yeahhhh. Why? Because Jung Chanwoo was going to know that the fight a week ago wasn’t the last of Kim Haesoo.

And so she found herself registering for the walk-in audition impromptu with nothing planned, the only thought in mind being how she was going to teach Jung Chanwoo a lesson for dissing her that night. But that was a mistake in itself, something she discovered when she finally arrived to the theatre where the audition was taking place.

She’d just been thinking how Chanwoo was going to be hugging her in tears, apologising for being so heartless to her that Friday. He was going to be crying for forgiveness and they were going to get a break from the director so they could go get ddeokbokki by the streets together before he’d return to his life as an iKON trainee and they’d have back their nightly calls. Things were going to go back to normal, except this were only so in her thoughts.

As she kicked open the door to look for Chanwoo, her spirit kissing the skies, all heads turned to her, shocked. She bowed instinctively in shock and backtracked, closing the door as quick as she opened it. The embarrassment crept to her now red cheeks as she slapped herself multiple times for being such a disruptive entrance.

But Haesoo wasted no time to wreck her memory for the sight of Chanwoo with the iKON members she saw were huddled at the corner of the theatre. The efforts were for nothing as she was sure she only saw 6 members and her best friend wasn’t one of them. Only the Team B members were there.

She sighed as lady luck grinned evilly at her in her peripheral vision. All hope was lost once again as she realised the chance that she would see Chanwoo that day was too small. Maybe their friendship really was over.

Just then, she heard a gasp from her left. She turned to see the owner of the girly gasp and shrieked when it was none other than her best friend who was looking at her in pure shock.

His face crinkled into a frown as he mouthed “YAAAAH!”