chapter 3: sneaking in

She's A Dreamer

Haesoo found herself sneaking around at the YG building the night of Saturday. There were some fans near the entrance, and Haesoo was almost about to just sit with them and wait for any iKON member, or better, Chanwoo, to appear so she could just talk and go home. She was so close to just joining the girls and maybe making friends, but a light called on to her from the darker corners of the building.

She found herself blinking, trying to recognise the flashing rectangular light. It flashed about two times, pausing before the third time. And then it dawned on her how it was light from the back door.

She tiptoed through the trees towards the door that opened about three more times.

Crew members kept piling out, filling the vans that rowed along the carpark. Haesoo noticed how everyone was wearing black, just as she was. And then the sick, sick idea came.

Haesoo, in her outfit that night, could easily pass off as a crew member, equipped with some acting. She was wearing a black sweater with black pants and a pair of Nike sport shoes, with a cap snapped back. The lanyard with her library card around her neck glistened in the night, as did her eyes at the thought of sneaking into the building.

From the numerous acting practises she’s had with Chanwoo, added the very experience of watching him practice alone, practice with professionals, and act on camera WITH PROFESSIONALS WATCHING, Haesoo mustered her best serious working-face expression. She took a deep breath and walked confidently through the crowd of crew members, squeezing through the people and into the building.

It was easier than expected.

Once she was safely in and away from the unsuspecting members, she turned her cap around and pull it down on her face, walking through the lit hallways, looking for the lifts.

Through the hallway that seemed never-ending, she finally saw a turn she could make, possibly leading her to the lift. She was right.

Haesoo pressed on the button UP and waited for the lift to come to her level, excited with the thought that Chanwoo was in the same building and minutes away. She was so going to surprise him and the thought excited her.

When a lift opened, she entered, beaming as she pressed “B1: Dance Studios and Cafeteria” followed by the close button.

As the door came to a close, a hand appeared between the doors, making it open once again. Haesoo’s eyes widened, but she instinctively turned her head down to avoid eye contact, bowing a tiny bit. She would be screwed if she was caught.

Her eyes followed the fancy, polished shoes that walked its way next to her. She bit the insides of her cheeks, holding back from looking up out of curiosity. It could be a huge star, or worse, it could be the very G-Dragon who she embraced every hour of the day with her classmates who were all Big Bang fans.

The male next to her, though, was none other than the famous Seungri. And just like Haesoo, he, too, was curious about the girl as she stuck out differently from the usual coordi-noonas. For one, she had a library card around her neck rather than a staff ID. He suspiciously raised an eyebrow at the girl as the lift silently made its way up.

As he reached to tap at her shoulder, the elevator dinged at the 7th floor and Haesoo left the elevator in a flash, leaving a stunned Seungri behind the closed doors.

Once she was out, she exhaled a sigh of relief, clutching onto her chest that was previously beating fast from the nerves. But it wasn’t time to relax as just then, she heard footsteps from her left, heading her way.

Haesoo ran to her right, hiding behind the wall, waiting for the people to just get on the lift and leave. But the lift just had to be delivering Seungri to the top level, thus taking a longer time.

“Is there any food at home? Are you hungry?” a familiar voice asked.

Haesoo seemed to have heard this voice somewhere, like on TV. And then it clicked. This guy was Junsu? No; Junhoe. She knew she’d heard this unique deep voice somewhere. The one who coldly, after introducing himself, said “kkeut”. Wow, so cute, so classy. Ha, not really.

“I don’t think there is. We could stop by the convenience store,” another familiar voice responded.

This time it was Jinhwan, surely. His voice was a distinct one she couldn’t forget; quite nasally.

Haesoo carefully bent forward to see if Chanwoo was amongst the group that was leaving, not wanting to miss him. She saw 6 heads enter the lift and none were Chanwoo.

That confirmed that Chanwoo might still be in the building, though probably accompanied by a member who weren’t amongst the 6.

After a few seconds of silence, Haesoo could confidently make her way through the now black-painted hallways to look for iKON’s practice room. The hallway didn’t seem busy with various music coming from about three of the practice rooms. One played a sweet RnB that Haesoo knew very well – There Goes My Baby. And she knew then, that that must’ve been the room Chanwoo was in.

As she placed her hand on the knob to twist it, it suddenly twisted by itself, opening to reveal an emotionless Hanbin. By instinct, Haesoo had seconds ago walked past the room to the end of the hallway, pretending to be passing by. Her acting skills seemed to have worked as Hanbin barely noticed her before walking the other way towards the lifts.

Once she was definitely sure the coast was clear, and all 7 of the other iKON members were gone, she made her way back to the door, pushing it open slowly. She peeked in and saw a body laid down on the floor in the middle of the empty room. The precious one.

Haesoo couldn’t help the smile that fought its way to her face. She was just so thrilled to be finally seeing Chanwoo after weeks of not being able to.

She decided she wanted to scare him, and quietly closed the door behind her. She took tiny, quiet steps towards Chanwoo who had his eyes closed, bobbing his head to the music. Haesoo was careful not to let Chanwoo notice, and there wasn’t much of a problem in doing this due to her past experiences in ballet.

Once she was inches away from his body, she decided to sit herself down next to him, smiling down at him as she studied his calm features. Chanwoo, with his eyes closed, was relaxed as he listened to the loud music, though sweating. He had still yet to notice her arrival. He sure was in for a big surprise.

He had a small smile on his lips, the kind he always had whenever they were hanging out. The song on the stereo was THEIR song, and Haesoo felt warmth within her knowing Chanwoo gained comfort from listening to their song. He must’ve missed her too.

She almost laughed when Chanwoo began mouthing the chorus, as he always did together with Haesoo. When she couldn’t hold back anymore, she snorted, sending Chanwoo flying in shock.

At that moment, Haesoo burst out laughing seeing his hilarious reaction. She laughed so hard she was slapping her own thighs and the floor, unable to control the laughter. Her high wailing laughter echoed within the walls of the practice room. Meanwhile, Chanwoo stared at her, not believing his eyes, almost getting scared at the idea of seeing things when it was close to 1AM. It was sketchy. The girl can’t be Haesoo. How did Haesoo get into the YG building?

As he studied how she was dressed like a crew member, it dawned on him how she must’ve snuck in when the crew for Mix and Match was leaving.

“Yah!” he yelled, shocking Haesoo out of her daze.

She jumped, clutching onto her chest, and gave him a face. “Oh kamchagiya! Yah! Are you crazy? Why are you shouting?”

Chanwoo angrily looked her down. “What are you… Yah, did you sneak in!?”

A smile broke out on her face. She nodded, almost pridefully.

“You really.. Oh God… you… you… you wait. Just stay quiet and wait!”

The boy pushed himself up and began running around to clean the room and finally turn off the stereo and air-condition. An ominous silence set in the moment the music went away. Once he was done, he bent down and grabbed the confused Haesoo, pulling her out of the room and into the lift.

The two finally made their way out of the building through the back door, with Chanwoo dragging Haesoo by her wrist behind him all this while. He was so angry and she could feel it. It was odd. Chanwoo never gets angry.

Once they were out, he let go of her now sore wrist, though roughly.

Haesoo glared at him, staring him down as she rubbed her wrist. More than the physical pain, she was hurt at his reaction. She thought he’d be happy to see her. Angry was the last thing she thought he’d be.

But now he was, and he glared right back at Haesoo, making her waver a bit in shock.

“You.. why are you here?” he asked first, a quiet but menacing voice sported.

The tone jabbed at Haesoo, not a tone she was used to. He almost sounded like Kim Jisoo – cold. And she didn’t like it.

Haesoo stayed silent, not blinking as she looked him in the eye.

Silence was Haesoo’s response to any confrontation.

“Did you sneak in?” he asked with the same voice, but getting the same reply.

Haesoo was adamant on the idea that a silent treatment would provoke the real Chanwoo. But she was wrong as Chanwoo never reverted into the boy she knew. She watched as he sighed irritably and then just walked away from her. She gave it a few seconds, thinking he’d come back.

But he just walked.

Never turning back and leaving her there, he didn’t even glance once. Just walked.

An unexpected tear had fallen right then. It wasn’t a happy tear, it was a sad tear. It wasn’t the tears Chanwoo always caused her, not the one that made her smile like a dork and giggle to herself. Instead, the newfound sadness made her lips quiver, and her brain was doubling its effort to process the situation – how Chanwoo, for the first time, HER Jung Chanwoo, had walked away from her. He was being so cold.

Chanwoo is a warm, kind guy. But the guy she just saw minutes ago was the complete opposite. There was just anger and frustration, and pain found its way to Haesoo’s chest, the reality settling in achingly.

That was it. That was their first fight.

And Haesoo could do nothing.