6: Darcy

Labeled; A Baekhyun Fanfiction

Hyeri's eyes shot open as she felt someone touch her arm. It was still, and dark. Hyeri carefully turned around to see Darcy hovering over her. Hyeri quickly sat up. "What are you doing out of bed? Sit, oh my gosh. Don't do that from now on." Hyeri fussed on and on. She patted her bed for Darcy to sit.

"Hyeri, it was you, wasn't it?" Darcy whispered. Her head ducked low, as if she was trying to hide her upset expression.

"What was me?" Hyeri lifted up her chin. Darcy's sad eyes glittered under the moonlight.

"You paid for my surgery. You're my guardian angel."

Hyeri froze. "No, I didn't."

"Hyeri unnie, please don't lie to me. I heard you outside." Darcy teared up.

"Do your parents know?" Hyeri caressed her small face. Darcy shook her head. A rush of relief washed over Hyeri. "Good, I don't want them to know."

"Why not?"

"Because Darcy, I don't want them to feel guity, like they owe me money. You should sleep, why are you up so late?"

"I'm tired, but I just can't sleep. I'm scared." A single tear rolled down Darcy's cheek.

"Aw Darce.. why are you scared?" Hyeri cooed.

"What if the surgery doesn't go well? What if I die?" The look on Darcy's innocent face tore Hyeri to pieces.

"But that won't happen. If you don't do this surgery, you're going to have a painful death. I'd rather you not suffer from the growing infection." Hyeri squeezed Darcy.

Suddenly, a shadow was casted outside of their room. Darcy didn't notice, but Hyeri saw. "Darcy, stay here." Getting up and slowly walking toward the door, Hyeri couldn't believe she was doing this. She stuck her head out to see who was listening to them. To her surprise,  it was Baekhyun. "Baekhyun! What are you doing here so late?! Do you realize you scared me to death?! Come in." Hyeri shouted in a quiet voice and pulled him in.

"Baekhyun Oppa!" Darcy giggled but the two of them shushed Darcy. "Sorry."

Hyeri sat next to Darcy and Baekhyun grabbed a chair and sat in front of them.

"What time is it?" Hyeri asked.

"1:30 A.M." Baekhyun's bright screen popped up. The piano case covering his phone.

"Ah Oppa, I like your case." Darcy complimented. Hyeri and Baekhyun eyed each other.

Baekhyun smirked, "thank you. Guess who bought it for me." He leaned close into Darcy's face.

"Who?" Darcy gleamed.

"Well, who's sitting next to you?" Baekhyun leaned back in his seat.

"Hyeri Unnie, you bought it for Baekhyun Oppa?! I thought you didn't like him like that." Darcy flipped out.

"I don't. It's just a tiny gift. Why are you getting all worked up? Don't tell me you like Baekhyun Oppa....." Hyeri teased and wiggled her eyebrows.

Darcy turned pink. "No.. of course not." Darcy didn't look them in the eye, instead she ducked down and smiled shyly to herself.

Hyeri sent eye signals to Baekhyun, who couldn't stop smirking. "Darcy, Oppa likes you too." Baekhyun turned his head, so Darcy was looking directly down at his face. She gazed up, embarrassed.

"Oppa, you're weird. I'm going to sleep." Darcy stepped off the bed and Baekhyun helped her over. She slid carefully into bed and Baekhyun tucked her in.

"I'll talk to the both of you later. I'm going back to rest up. Goodnight Darce, Hyeri." Baekhyun saluted off and Hyeri waved goodbye.

After the sound of footsteps seemed to fade, Darcy's voice lingered in the cool night air. "Hyeri Unnie?"

"Yes, Darcy?"

"Since I'm not old enough, I want you to be the only girl to date Baekhyun Oppa. I'm only letting you date him, and no one else." Darcy said with a stern tone. Hyeri chuckled and snuggled into her pillow.

"What an honor, thank you for accepting me, Darcy."


Today was the day of Darcy's surgery. The past two weeks were rough. Darcy began sleeping for 20 hours. She had major fevers and headaches. She got skinnier each day, and Hyeri had to watch every single second of it.

Hyeri completely forgot about her own health, she was too busy worrying about Darcy's. Hyeri started unintentionally skipping meals, skipping medication, but she didn't notice - no one did. The past two weeks were all about prepping Darcy for her surgery.

"Which level is the surgery on?" Hyeri asked Baekhyun.

"Level 8." He made Darcy's now empty bed.

"Her parents there?" He nodded in response. "How long is the surgery?"

"Estimated 5 hours." He answered in a monotone voice.

"Are you afraid?" Hyeri gulped and couldn't help, but ask a million questions. Baekhyun could only sigh.

"A little. Darcy's a strong girl, even though she may look fragile. I have hope she'll pull through." Baekhyun stared Hyeri in the eyes.

"But Baekhyun... I'm terrified."

"Imagine how she might feel right now." He looked at the floor, fighting back tears.

"Can you report the news back to me when she's done?"

Baekhyun tried to smile, "Yeah."


Baekhyun couldn't accompany Hyeri for the whole five hours, he had other patients to care for. He wanted nothing, but to wait with her, but people forbid it. Hyeri, on the other hand, walked to the park by herself. Two hours had passed by and only three more to go. Hyeri hoped for Darcy to be okay.

She sat on the swings and tried to swing herself higher. She kicked her feet harder, but she ended up with her feet scrapping the playground padding. She was out of breath from trying. Suddenly, hands pushed her from behind and she flew. Turning her head, she saw Taemin.

"Oh! Dr.Taemin! You scared me." Hyeri's voice faded on and off.

"Don't speak, Hyeri. Just enjoy the beautiful blue sky above." Taemin continued pushing her and with each strong push, she was closer to the sky. The wind picked up as they went and her eyes fluttered shut. She let the perfect moment soak in. She soared and her mind drifted off.

"Dr.Taemin, can I wait in front of Darcy's surgery room?" Hyeri broke the silence.

Taemin, who was leaning against the swing post, sighed. "I know you want to be one of the first to know her condition, but you can't linger in the halls. You're a patient too. I'm sorry, Hyeri."

"I'm finally not having something my way. We should broadcast it to the whole hospital." She joked as the swings slowed down. Hyeri looked down at her fingers, a sad vibe radiating off of her tiny body.

"Why do you care so much about what people say about you?" Taemin crossed his arms.

"You don't understand. People say so much crap about me, my family and it hurts." Hyeri didn't look up. "Everyone is judgemental."

"Not everyone." Taemin smirked and Hyeri's head snapped up. She gave him a kind smile.

"Oh yeah, not everyone. I was surprised when you were so friendly with me."

"I'm close to your age, so I can relate." Taemin stuffed his hands into the front pockets of his lab coat.

"You're 19?" Hyeri's mouth gaped open.

"No. I said I was close, not that I am. I'm just a year older." Taemin winked.

"Ah, you're my oppa." Hyeri nodded knowingly.

"And you're my dongsaeng." Taemin smirked.

"Dr.Taemin, why are you here though? I thought the doctors were the most busy." 

Taemin checked his watch that was wrapped around his right wrist. "Ah yes. I need to get going. Do you need an back to your room, Hyeri?" 

"No.. I want to stay here a bit longer."


"Hyeri.." Someone shook Hyeri's arm. She turned around in bed to see Taemin in front of her with her folders in his hand.

Her little mind was confused from sleep, but she slowly remembered Darcy. "Is Darcy okay? How did her surgery go? Do you know? What time is it?" Hyeri asked frantically.

"Darcy's still in surgery. She's almost done.. I'm here to talk about you." Taemin said seriously and sat in a chair next to her bed. "It's about your progress, Hyeri." 

"My progress? What about it? Am I better? Healed? Will I be able to leave?" 

"Worse. You're doing worse. I don't think you'll leave as soon as you were going to." 

"W-Worse......?" The news hit her like bullets. Hyeri had no idea how she had gotten worse. She was perfectly fine.. even better a couple of weeks before. "I d-don't understand.."

"You skipped medication and meals. You're becoming slow and tired. Do you know what may have caused this? Are you skipping on purpose?" Taemin peered up from her papers.

"These past weeks.. I was helping Darcy prep for her surgery. I guess, I forgot to take my medicine. I was so worried for her." Hyeri rubbed her bony knuckles. Her head ducked down to see her shoulder bones popping out.

"You need to think about yourself as well. I know you worry about her, but you need to think about yourself too." Taemin rested a hand on her forearm.

"All my life........" Hyeri paused and slowly continued. "All my life, I've only been thinking about myself."