2: Getting To Know Baek

Labeled; A Baekhyun Fanfiction

Hyeri woke up the next morning with Baekhyun hovering over her face. "Mornin' Sunshine." He smirked and Hyeri wanted to punch him.

"Go away." She rubbed her eyes and her side.

"I need to talk to you." Baekhyun pulled up a chair and sat next to her bed.

Hyeri was definitely not in the mood, "Can't you wait?"

"It's about Darcy." With that, Hyeri popped up. She didn't care about how ugly she might look, she didn't care about the wires being tangled around. Hyeri's eyes quickly darted toward Darcy's bed to find the peaceful ten year old sound asleep.

"What about her?" Hyeri looked past Baekhyun and into the hospital hallway - no nurses or doctors running around. The lights were turned off except for the dark blue glow from the sky. "Baekhyun, what time is it?" Hyeri groaned.

"It's like 4 A.M. The nurses and doctors don't get in until 4:15."

"Then what are you doing here?" Hyeri sunk back into her pillows.

Baekhyun helped Hyeri fix her blankets. "I basically live at the hospital. My apartment is just across the street." Hyeri kicked around the sheets.

"Stop doing that. You're letting all the warmth escape." Hyeri pulled the blankets back over herself.

"Sorry, it's a habit of mine."

"Anyways, about Darcy?"

Baekhyun sat back down and perked up. "Oh right, yes. You have a soft spot for her, don't you?"

"Maybe." Hyeri crossed her arms and Baekhyun lifted up his eyebrows. "Look, I'm not like my grandpa. I'm not as cold or as stuck up as he was. I have a soft side too, it's just really deep down, I just need the right person to dig up."

"I believe you."

"And all the nurses just think I'm some br- wait you what?" Hyeri stopped her rambling and stared at Baekhyun.

"I believe you." He repeated. "I believe that there is a good person in everyone."

"Why do you think such a silly thing?.." Hyeri's stone face soften.

"Don't know. Maybe it's because I like looking at the better things in life. I wasn't as fortunate as you are. I'm still not, to be honest."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not as rich, Hyeri. Can I call you that?" Hyeri nodded and waited for him to continue. "I'm not as wealthy as you are and I never will be. I grew up near the country side, with my mom, my dad and my older brother. We didn't have enough to eat and both of my parents were only getting paid minimum wage. We didn't get any toys or any allowance, so my brother taught me to enjoy life with what I have. I remember going to school and my friends all had the latest phones and I didn't have anything. I didn't steal either, my brother taught me better."

"What's your point though?" Hyeri folded her hands in her lap.

"Now, don't think I'm telling you my sob story. What I'm trying to say is that -"

"-Less fortunate people are nicer because they were taught to be thankful for what they have, not to dwell in what we need but dwell in happiness?" Baekhyun smiled at Hyeri's sudden statement.

"Sure, if you want to interpret it like that." Hyeri was surprised at herself too. Darcy shifted in her bed and faced them. Her shiny green eyes were covered over by her pale eyelids.

"Baekhyun, I really really hope you don't think of me of some spoiled brat because I'm not. I'm nothing like my grandpa. I know how I was being so snobby yesterday, I have days where I'm really self centered and I'm just really under pressure." Hyeri babbled and it felt like a weight was lifted off her chest.

"Like I said before, I believe you. I should get started on work. Buzz if you need me." Baekhyun smiled cheekly and placed the chair back underneath the nearby table. The thing was was that Baekhyun had overheard Hyeri talking to Darcy last night, every single word.


Hyeri opened her eyes, her whole body was shaken by a someone. Hyeri did not realize she had fallen back asleep. Turning over, a doctor in a white lab coat stood over her. A nurse with a disgusted expression stood at his side, she looked like she really did not want to see her.

"Kyo Hyeri?" The doctor's voice was deep. Hyeri sat up in my bed.

"Where's Baekhyun?" Hyeri yawned and the nurse glared at her.

"He went on his break." Hyeri rolled her eyes at the rude nurse. The doctor cleared his throat.

"Your report came out and I need to ask you some questions." The doctor sat on the edge of Hyeri's bed. Hyeri knew that Darcy was hiding in her sheets, listening to the conversation.

"Come on, Darcy. I'll take you to the playground." The nurse quickly changed personalities. A fake smile was plastered on her so-called-kind face. Darcy carefully slipped into her wheel chair and Hyeri hoped she wouldn't hurt herself. As she rolled past, she gave Hyeri a reassuring nod.

"Fighting Unnie!" Darcy mouthed. Hyeri could only return a small smile back. Once Darcy left, the doctor was all business.

"Have you been skipping meals?" The sudden question startled Hyeri. She shook her head. "Miss Kyo, I need you to be honest."

"I skip meals occasionally. I'm not hungry."

"Have you been under any stress lately?" The doctor scribbled something on his note pad.

"Yes I have, just a little." Hyeri tried to hide the truth again, but the doctor saw right through her.

"Don't lie. Honesty remember?"

"Yes okay. I'm under a lot of pressure and stress." Hyeri's brain began hitting against her skull. She rubbed her temples.

"What's wrong?" The doctor asked.

"I think I'm getting a headache." The doctor stared at Hyeri. Hyeri's hands held her head. The pain was intense. Blood roared in her ears, she heard the pounding. Hyeri's eyes were rimmed with salty tears. She never had such an extreme headache, the pain was unbearable. It felt like a hammer was being hit in between her eyes.

"Stop pretending." Hyeri gripped her hair and looked up.

"Excuse me? I'm pretending? Aren't you a doctor?" Hyeri fell back into bed and her head felt heavy.

"I'm not making this mistake again. Your grandfather pulled the same trick on me and this isn't going to happen ever again. I almost lost my job because of his stupid little games." The doctor hunched over and spoke just above a whisper.

Hyeri could only stare at the ceiling and her eyes were squeezed shut. The ache began to spread throughout the back of her head. It throbbed against the pillow. All Hyeri wanted was to be alone. She wanted to sleep but she couldn't even get herself to.

"Now, Miss Kyo. How have you been lately? Like your mood?" Hyeri didn't answer, she couldn't. The doctor's voice faded away and was replaced by her heartbeat. Hyeri opened her eyes and her breathing become abnormal. Suddenly, her vision began to cut off and blackness came on and off.

"What's-What's happening?" Hyeri barely choked out and she felt her cheeks become wet with droplets of tears.

"Miss Kyo?" The doctor called but Hyeri was no longer conscious.


Hyeri shifted in her bed. She panicked, and felt exactly how she felt last night. Sitting up, Hyeri looked around. She was in a new room, she knew because her bed was next to a window. She was ready to jump out of her blankets. Her head turned to her right and she saw a nurse staring at her.

"Why am I here? What happening?" The nurse said nothing. "Answer me."

The nurse's face turned smug and she scoffed. "You out again." Hyeri was not dealing with the nurse's attitude.

"I don't want you. Why are you here?" Hyeri crossed her arms.

"You're in a different section of the hospital and I'm one of the nurses that are assigned to this wing." The nurse rolled her eyes.

"I want Baekhyun. I want to be back into my old room."

"Well sweetie, I know you always get what you want, but not this time." She mocked Hyeri. "Now, I suggest you get a good night's rest." Getting up to leave, she shut the light off and everything went black.

Hyeri huffed. Clueless nurses, do they not know what Kyo Hyeri is capable of doing?


As hours past, Hyeri listened as the voices of nurses decreased. Slipping out of her bed, Hyeri's warm bare feet dragged along the frozen white tiles. Hyeri noticed how huge her hospital gown was. Her collar was slipping off of her shoulder. She walked carefully, peering left and right down the hall. Her weak legs could barely hold her up. She stumbled in the darkness. She searched for the elevator, avoiding doctors that still lingered around.

Ding! The metal doors parted and the brightly lit elevator welcomed her. Stepping in, Hyeri rapidly pressed the closed button. Now if only she can remember which floor she was on.

Thinking back, Hyeri tried to remember if she had saw any where. Then the number popped in her mind. She quickly pressed the button marked 5. The whole lift shot up and it was only two floors away. Hyeri hoped and held her breath. Please no stops, Hyeri pleaded.

Ding! The doors opened at the fifth level. Hyeri's head popped out, searching for any doctors or nurses wandering around. Sticking close to the wall, Hyeri went into stealth mode. She looked for her old room. Footsteps began approaching and Hyeri stuck close to the wall and didn't move a muscle.

"H-Hyeri?" A familiar voice whispered. Turning her head, she saw Baekhyun's small figure standing in the middle of the hallway.

"Baekhyun!" She ran into his arms and he held her tight. "I don't want to be in the new room. I want to be here, I want you to take care of me. I don't want the mean nurses, who are obviously jealous of me, taking care of me. When I woke up, I felt lost. I didn't see you anywhere and I was scared. I didn't see Darcy and I was petrified."

Baekhyun rubbed Hyeri's back to calm the young girl's nerves. "We can't be out in the open like this, they'll be wondering why you're on the fifth level when you're suppose to be on the third." Baekhyun lead the way to a janitor room and flicked on the light.

"Baekhyun, can you switch my room?" Hyeri begged.

"It's not my call."

Hyeri's shoulders dropped. "What happened when I out?"

Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck. "The doctor began to worry and I came back to see you unconscious. They changed your room because they thought floor three's doctors will be able to handle you better."

"Where's the doctor now?"

"He no longer works here, I reported him in." Baekhyun gave Hyeri a big toothy grin. Hyeri was amazed by how white and straight them were. "Why did he not help you?"

"He said my grandpa played him and that he wasn't going to make the same mistake twice." Hyeri shrugged.

"Ah, your grandfather's little games."

"What did my grandpa do?" Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, startling both of them.

"Is there anyone in here?" The voice asked on the other side.

Baekhyun gulped and eyed Hyeri. "Yes, it's me, Baekhyun. I'm just putting away some supplies."

"Oh, alright. No one else is here now, Baekhyun. Remember to double check everything before you leave."

"Okay." Baekhyun responded back and listened for the ding of the elevator. "Hyeri, we'll have to talk another time. You need to go back to your room before they find you missing."

Hyeri shook her head. "No, Baekhyun. I don't want to go. I don't want you to leave me. You're one of the only people I trust here, please, I don't want to be alone."

"You have to. We'll figure out everything in the morning." Opening the door, he checked the perimeters. Hyeri followed behind Baekhyun, down to the elevators.

"Can you check on Darcy for me then? Tell her I'm okay and that I'll see her tomorrow?" Baekhyun nodded and gently pushed Hyeri into the elevator. "Goodnight Baekhyun."

"Goodnight Hyeri." And the doors closed, Hyeri was alone once again.