003

Life saver

 

Joora fastened the last button on her black waist coat and patted down on her pleated, navy blue skirt. After twisting and twirling in front of the vintage white mirror which reflected her body frame, she sat at her dressing table and began to brush her wavy hair. "Joora, you're so pretty!" Joora's older cousin: Hyoyeon exclaimed. They were hologram chatting each other as Hyoyeon will be visiting Joora in Seoul in a week's time and will be staying for 5 days. Joora's small projector pod was sitting on the right hand side of her dressing table. "You know, I miss wearing school uniform. I think it looks so much ier than the boring plain white uniform I have to wear at the hospital," Hyoyeon moaned. Joora got up from her seat, grabbed her navy blue cape and stuffed it in her black backpack. "Hey, how comes you're not wearing that? It'd look cute," Hyoyeon questioned. 
"Because if I had that cape on, and put my back pack on, it would feel uncomfortable. So, I keep it off and only put it on if there's inspectors or visitors in school," Joora explained. "Anyways, I need to go now," She continued.
"Oh, okay. I'll see you next week then" Hyoyeon replied. 
"You too," Joora said with a smile before turning off the hologram pod. After one last look in the mirror, she fiddled with her neck bow and then walked out the door of her bedroom.

As soon as Joora walked out of her house, the icy breeze struck her. She dug her head into her scarf and shivered in her coat. Joora lived alone for the time being so without saying any goodbyes, she locked the house door.

Her father worked at SNPS (Seoul's National Police Station). She didn't really know exactly what his position was and what he did. All she new was that he was a busy man. Lately, the rate in crimes have gone up: hence why she's staying home alone as her father needs to stay in the office to probably do many cases.

Joora's mother died in a car crash when she was 8 years old. And since her father would sometimes be busy with work and couldn't take care of her, Mrs Park (Chanyeol's mother) would have kept her under her wing. Chanyeol's mother and Joora's mother were childhood friends so after Mrs Lee passed away, Mrs Park felt the need to take care of Lee Joora as if she was  one of her own. Chanyeol's father owns the school that both Joora and him go to at the moment: meaning that of course, the Park family were rich. Chanyeol, his sister and his mother would have lived in Gangnam: But, ever since Joora's mother died, Mrs Park insisted to move out of Gangnam and live near the school her husband owned since she new Joora's family lived near there. Hence why Joo Ra and Chanyeol were now close.

Speaking of the devil, after Joora locked her front door, she turned around and saw Chanyeol leaning (slightly sitting) on her house's brick fence. Joora walked up to him and tapped his right shoulder and immediately walked out of the front gate which was on the left of Chanyeol. Joora stood in front of the black haired boy and watched him confusingly scan the right side of him. Finally, he turned to face the front again. Chanyeol was startled by Joora's sudden appearance making him almost fall backwards into her front garden(front lawn). Joor laughed. "Let's go. We don't wanna be late on our first day back to school do we?" She suggested as she began to walk away. After quickly recovering from his mini heart attack, Chanyeol did a little jog to catch up with Joora's pace. 

Walking through the school's front gate, the duo were greated by other Jegyodi students. Joora kept her "cool" character and just slightly bowed her head to the groups of people that they walked by. Chanyeol grinned like a puppy and waved back with both hands at chest level. This was enough to make a few female pupils squeal or even feel quite faint. "By the way, I have guitar lessons after school so I won't be walking with you home. You and Seohyun will be dying to death without my beautiful presence," Chanyeol teased. Joora rolled her eyes. "Oit, I saw that," Chanyeol yelled. Joora then played a little smirk on her face. Her best friend noticed her little reaction and smiled. He hooked his arm around the back of her neck and dragged her the rest of the way to the school's main entrance. 

As the two childhood friends walked into the school's building, they noticed that the main hallway was more quieter and emptier than usual. They continued to walk until they heard a slight sound of chattering. Taking the next right turn, they found out where everyone disappeared to: They were all gathered around the school's notice board. Joora began to speed walk which quickly transited into a small jog. Shoving through the little crowd whilst saying: "Excuse me!", she finally reached the source of attention. Joora looked up. "Lightstar," she said as she read the title in bold. Her eyes shone with delite and desire. The amount of years she's been preparing for this. Finally, it being her last year in Jegyodi High School, she can finally take part! Just remembering that she went ahead and left him, Joora spun around to head back to Chanyeol. But, as soon as she turned around, her eyes landed on a familiar face in front of her. It was Oh Sehun. With an icy-hot expression on his face, he glared at the poster. He looked mad. Not mad as in "normal Oh Sehun" mad: but mad as in 100 times more mad. Eyes ing out of their sockets, nostrils blooming and honey sweat was slightly dripping from his forehead. Joora was quite shocked and terrified. But, she was curious enough to want to know why he seemed to have so much hate towards that poster. Suddenly, Sehun looked down and met Joora's starring face. She realised that they were making eye contact once again. And within a blink of an eye, she quickly disappeared into the crowd to go back to Chanyeol.

Joora found her way out of the crowd and began to walk towards her best friend who was leaning on the hallway's wall. "Are you excited for the Lightstar wars" He asked. 
"You didn't even come with me to the poster. How did you know what it was for?" Joora asked. Chanyeol giggled. "Tall people don't need to rummage through other people's bodies. I could see the poster fine from here," Chanyeol replied - obviously teasing her. 
"Hey, I'm not small! I'm actually quite tall! You're just an overgrown giraffe." Joora stated. "...I hope you hit your head on a door frame one day," She whispered under her breath. Chanyeol continued to giggle.

"...And the with their crystals, the 13 heros closed the gates shut and saved humanity..." Mr Kim (Jin-tae) read from the text book. Joora sighed. She absolutely hated history. She thought it was useless learning about something from the past which will never happen again. It's not like it had anything to do with her, did it? Joora softly landed her head on her desk. "...these 13 legends hid their individual crystals - loosing their powers whilst doing so. Awaiting for their new owners, the 13 stones still stay in their unknown hiding spot." The teacher concluded. 

The school's bell rang indicating the end of the day. Joora began to slowly stuff her equipment into her backpack. Suddenly, her history book got knocked off her desk and onto the floor. She looked at it then looked up to see a tall figure. Oh Sehun. He seemed to have stopped slightly to look at the object he dropped. But, instead of picking up what he discarded, he quickly said something. "You shouldn't have left your book hanging off the edge of the table," Sehun explained. Shortly after staring at me with his usual icy look, he walked out the classroom. Joora stood there in shock. "What just happened?" She asked herself. Frowning, she went to pick up her history book which was still laying on the floor. "If I shouldn't have left it there, then you should've looked where you were going," she continued, with a huge huff.

She swung her backpack around her back and onto her shoulders. "Why couldn't he just pick up what he dropped? Why was he acting like such a jerk? Wait, did he just speak to me? Well, thank God he doesn't usually talk to anyone; no one would want to see his immature lips move. Although, to be honest, his voice was quite intriguing. Haha. Who knew he had the ability to speak? Well, he may have had a tongue, but he didn't have any manners." Joora thought to herself as she walked through the school's hallways. Suddenly, she remembered the way Sehun was looking at the lightstar poster. "Why did he seem to have so much abhorrence towards it? Did that competition have anything to do with why he's all abrupt and jacked-up?" She continued to question herself. Mind filled with thoughts, Joora reached the school's front gates and met up with Seohyun.

The two friends walked home whilst having friendly conversations. "By the way, I heard that the 'auditions' for the lightstar competition is near," Seohyun suddenly stated. 
"YES! I can't wait! If I get chosen to represent our school for the Lightstar wars, I'd be the happiest person on Earth!," Joora excitedly responded. Filled with cheerfulness, she took long strides ahead - pacing herself in front of Seohyun. With fingers widely spread apart, the gleeful girl tip-toed and reached out for the sky. Watching the clouds slowly cover it up, gravity once again began to slowly pull her heels back onto the ground. She gradually closed her hand into a fist. Her real thoughts on the competition came rushing in. "I could finally show him what I'm made off. He could finally notice me for once," Joora thought to herself. She smiled with determination. Seohyun caught up to her. "Hey, are you okay?" Seohyun asked in confusion.
"Yeah," Joora replied.

Splitting into their own narrow roads, the two best friends arrived in their own houses safely.

On the same evening that she saw the 'Lightsar' poster, Joora took a shower and finished around 7pm. She a line across the bathroom mirror with her hand, removing the steam and revealing her face. Still thinking about the Lightstar wars, she sighed. Before every competition, there's always a test on a random subject. And you need to get at least a B to be able to try out to be a representative of the school. She sighed again. Joora was barely reaching a C in all of her academic subjects, how is she supposed to get a B on the test in a weeks time? She turned away from her reflection and walked out of the bathroom(washroom). 

Just as Joora had finished applying a moisturiser to her face, she heard the doorbell. DING DONG... DING DONG, DING DONG, DING DONG, DING DONG. Although she was fully dressed, she wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. So, she just ignored it and began drying her hair with her pink towel. 

After drying her hair a bit, she felt thirsty. And so, Joora went downstairs to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

The black haired girl hastily emptied her cup in one go and placed it onto the counter. Just as she was just about to turn around and go back up stairs, Joora noticed something. She focused onto the glass, liquid container once again and saw it. There on her cup, was a reflection of a black male figure footing underneath the kitchen door frame. She stood silent. She was as still as a statue. Using the glass cup as a way to detect any of the guy's movements, she watched him carefully. Suddenly, the figure began to walk towards her. As fast as a cheetah, She took a knife from the knife holder, turned around and pushed the black hooded person with her right hand on his chest making his back hit the wall. Holding the knife to his neck, Joora had him pinned against the wall. "Check mate," she whispered with a smirk. Since her father was working with the police, she was always aware incase a criminal wanted to seek revenge on her dad by killing her or using her as a hostage to threaten the police force. But at that very moment, the stranger began to chuckle and slowly lift his hands up. "Hey! Stop! Put your hands back down or I'll slice you to your death!" Joora threatened. The male continued to giggle and landed his hands on his hood. Pulling it down, he revealed his grinning face. 

"CHANYEOL!" Joora shouted. "I could've killed you!" She reasoned as she rested her arms and placed the knife on to the counter. "Good thing you didn't then," he responded. "Because I brought food... My mum's(mom's) home made 돌솥 비빔밥(dolsot bibimbap) - just for you," he continued.

Chanyeol walked past Joora and placed the bag onto the dining table and opened it revealing  the 돌솥(dolsot). He removed the cover and steam came out. "Still warm," he said to himself. Joora came over to have a look and immediately, mouthed a big "wow". Chanyeol pulled a drawer out and grabbed a spoon. He began to mix it up. When he was done he took a spoon full and tried it. As he was about to hand the spoon to Joora, he looked up and saw her ready with another spoon. She sat down and placed two small bowls next to the dolsot. "Let's share," she said as she began to take spoons of the mixed rice. Chanyeol smiled and sat down too.

After they devoured the food, the black haired boy picked up the used empty bowls, placed them in the sink and began washing them. Joora got a kitchen towel ready to dry the dishes. "Judging from earlier's commotion, you don't need help in fighting from me...but you need help for the exams to join the competition, right?" Chanyeol asked. 
"I don't need anyone's help," Joora replied straight away. "But, you were thinking that you were doomed right? That you wouldn't be able to pass it?" Chanyeol implied. Joora stopped drying the bowl for a second. "Why are all of his guesses right and accurate," she thought to herself. "HEY, Wait a minute, how did you even get into my house?!" Joora asked. Chanyeol grinned. "Well, you didn't answer the door when I bombarded you with doorbells. So, I quickly went back home and took the emergency, spare key to your house that my mum keeps," he explained.
"And was this an emergency?" The girl asked. 
"Of course it was! My Joojoo was feeling doubtful about the competition which she's been dreaming about her whole life," Chanyeol replied immediately. Joora rolled her eyes and continued drying the dishes. "I still don't need your help," she insisted.

"...Then you have to factorise it and work out what 'x' is. Next, you have to substitute it back into the first equation and find out what 'y' is," Chanyeol ordered. 
"AaaaaaaaAAaaAaAAHhh," Joora moaned in distress whilst scrunching up her head. "How did i even end up doing this..." She thought to herself. She turned her head to Face Chanyeol who was sitting on the dining chair next to her. She ferociously eyed at him as she was mad at his techniques in making her doing things. (A/N: let your imagination take you away thinking about what Chanyeol did to make her revise XD)

Joora finnished solving the quadratic and linear simultaneous equation and looked at Chanyeol grumpily: in hope that she finally did it correct. "Wrong~!" Chanyeol said. "You're not putting in a lot of effort, are you? You've attempted this equation for about 8 times and you still haven't found the simple mistake you've made.," he complained. "X plus x is 2x2. NOTx4," he explained. "Aaahhhh~ .....I should've studied and revised when Seohyun first told me too," Joora complained in regret. 
"And maybe shouldn't have slept during most of your classes too," Chanyeol chuckled. Joora looked down in embarrassment. As she dug her chin into her neck, Chanyeol went to get his bag which was leaning on Joora's shoe rack, next to the front door. He came back to the kitchen, placed his bag on the empty seat next to his and went through it. 

"Look up," Chanyeol demanded. Joora lifted her head up slowly and her face brightened up. Her pupils dilated and began to produce more saliva than usual. In front of her, was her favourite 새수스낵(shrimp snacks - "shrimp shaped" crisps/chips). She has loved eating them ever since she was little. Just as she was about to grab it, Chanyeol pulled it away from her grasp. "Hey!~" Joora moaned. 
"I'll give you one once you've finnished that equation," Chanyeol bribed. 
"You're so sly," Joora pouted. After she finally finished the sum, she achieved a few pieces of crisp(chips) and continued to work hard for more.

Chanyeol, who's head was resting on the table, lazily opened his eyes. He woke up to Joora's sleeping face. Her head too was lying on the table but upon her maths book. With sleepy eyes, the black haired boy examined the elegance of her face. He softly moved the hair that was falling on her face with his fingers and caressed her pale, smooth cheek with his thumb. A smile appeared on his face. After a while, he took his hand back, got up from his seat and looked at the kitchen clock. "3am," he thought to himself.  Chanyeol pulled Joora's chair out slightly. He placed his arms around her - one around her back and the other around her legs. With all his might, Chanyeol lifted her up. As her head rested on his shoulder, he began to walk up the stairs. His heart was beating rapidly as if a song's beat was just about to drop. He blushed due to Joora's little breathes that tickled his neck. Keeping his balance, he held Joora as tightly as he could.

Chanyeol delicately laid her on to her bed. His face hovered over hers. Slowly, he lent in close to place a kiss on her forehead. But when his lips was just about to make contact with her skin, he paused. "Not yet," he whispered in his low, husky morning voice. The tall boy stood up straight again. Turning off the lights behind him, he walked out of Joora's room.

Joora woke up the next morning with wide eyes. And felt... Confused. She felt the same feeling you would feel as a child when you slept downstairs on the sofa(couch) but woke up in your own bed. The feeling as if you've teleported. "Did Chanyeol carry me to my bed?" She asked her self. "I hope I wasn't heavy," she hoped embarrassedly. Never the less, she got up and went to the toilet to wash up and got ready for school like usual.

"Good morning," Chanyeol greeted Joora as she opened the front door. She replied with the same and the two began walking to school.

After the school day Finished, Joora and Chanyeol stayed behind in class along with a few others and revised. A few girls stayed a while just to watch Chanyeol. They swooned everytime he explained something complicated to Joora and she found it quite distracting. 'His fans' we're okay with him helping Joora out; they knew that they were just best friends. 

Throughout the whole day, Joora was thinking about last night events. I hope I wasn't heavy - Ahhh so embarrassing! What if I snored in his face as he carried me! She agitatedly kept flicking her eyes from her work to Chanyeol. "...Joora..." Chanyeol Quietly began. The aforementioned shot her eyes open as she stared at her work. "...You're...really heavy..." The black haired boy continued. Despair pulled on Joora's broad shoulders. "But, I'm really muscular and strong. So, it's okay," Chanyeol added, as he flexed his arms. Tiny squeals of girls were heard from the back of the classroom. Joora stopped staring at her work and looked at her overly proud friend. She giggled. "Also, Joora, you can eat as much as you want - As long as you stay healthy! I will always be with you and it will definitely not depend on how heavy you are," Chanyeol inferred. Suddenly, Joo ra felt a whole lot better and was now able to do her revision as she caught her best friend's happy virus.


I'm sorry for the late update.. Sorry. I hope you enjoy this chapter ;) (I'm near to getting into the actual story)