Suicide Watch

Suicide Watch

When it came to mathematics, saying that Chanyeol was a genius was an overstatement. The truth was Chanyeol hated the subject. He preferred his music class. He didn’t want to brag, but he was pretty good at it. He spent most of his time on his vocals, instead of using that time to study, which is how he was stuck in his current predicament.

“Now Mr. Park, I don’t know what to say, other than your grade for this term is not good. You managed to fail every single test I have given,” said Chanyeol’s Professor. She gave him a disappointed look.  Chanyeol was freaking out. He could not fail this class.

“I can’t fail this class. If I do, then I’m a dead person walking!” said Chanyeol. He couldn’t be failing his class because that meant he would be kicked out of the college.

“Isn’t there something you can do? please.”

“Mr. Park I am not a charity.”

“I understand, but there must be something I can do? I can’t fail this class, please,” Chanyeol pleaded.

The professor gave him a long stare. She really felt bad for him. Chanyeol wasn’t a bad kid. He was actually quite bright. His only problem was actually paying attention in class. Truth be told, Chanyeol was actually one of her favorite students. He reminded her of her son, so she had a soft spot for him. She stared at him in thought for a couple of minutes before. She sighed and spoke once again.

“Okay, okay I’ll think about it. Now go my office hours are now over.”

Chanyeol bared his famous bright white smile. It wasn’t a guarantee that she would give him a second chance, but there was still a possibility, and he was going to hold on to it.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you,” he said as he hugged his teacher and left the class retreated.

“I didn’t say I would give it to you for sure.”

“I know, I know, but you’re thinking about it, so thanks.” Said Chanyeol as he exited the room.

His teacher was going to give him a second chance, but she wasn’t going to give him an easy one.

Chanyeol walked to the closest coffee house and spotted one of his friends Baekhyun at the far corner. He took a seat besides both Baekhyun and Sehun.

“You’re late,” said Sehun taking a bit into his sandwich.

“I had find a way to raise my grade for Math.”

“Good luck with that,” said Baekhyun as he took a sip of his Coffee.

“Midterms start once we come back from vacation,” said Sehun.

“I know, but Mrs. Tay said she’d think about giving me a chance to make up for my past tests.”

“You’re luck she has a soft spot, or else you’d be very screwed,” stated Baekhyun. Once they had finished their Coffee, they all stepped outside to enjoy the day. That is until they had to go to their afternoon classes.

Once the group of friends headed to their respective classes, Chanyeol went to his most favorite class of the day, Music. He was a music major after all, but he still had to take boring mathematics because he was also interested in being a musical engineer. But his passion was making his own music. He always enjoying his vocal class. His worries would leave instantly once he began to sing and play his guitar. It was almost as if he had no worries in the world. Music was his everything. Through his rough times, music was there for him. Of course he had his friends, but sometimes that wasn’t enough. After he had finished with the last class of the afternoon, Chanyeol grabbed his belongings and headed to the shops nearby.  As he exited the gate of the college he was greeted by many people. Chanyeol was quite popular in school. As he walked through the grounds, he instantly spotted his rather large and boisterous group of friends.

“Chanyeol!!!! Jongdae is being a grump,” whined Baekhyun as he tried to grab Jongdae’s hand. Jongdae’s blush didn’t go unnoticed by the group, well except for Baekhyun who was quite clueless.

“Baekhyun, stop being annoying then,” he said as he patted a rather pouting Baekhyun on the head.

“You guys are just jealous that I’m the life of the group,” he replied.

The group of friends all headed towards a restaurant as they binged on food and talked about their day. Once they had finished, they all headed back to their dorms, well except for Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Suho who rented an apartment out of school grounds. Chanyeol wanted the day to end already because he wanted to know whether or not his teacher would give him a second chance.

“I’m gonna go already.” Said Chanyeol.

“What! It’s barley 10 in the night. C’mon Channie,” pleaded Baekhyun.

“Nah, I’m going home,” said Chanyeol.

“Alright... we’ll just have fun without you,” said Suho.

Chanyeol separated from his group of friends and started walking to the apartment.  While he did have a rather large group of friends, he did enjoy the quiet  sometimes. Chanyeol got home and went straight to his room. He instantly went to sleep once his head hit the pillow.  He was so tired that he didn’t even change out of his close.


RING RING

Chanyeol head sprang up once he heard his alarm. After the third snooze, Chanyeol had to drag himself out of his comfortable bed.

“Shut that alarm off, It’s making my head ring,” he could hear Baekhyun whine form the other room.

“It’s not my fault you and the others decided to get waited last night, and you have morning classes today,” replied Chanyeol. He laughed when he heard Baekhyun gasp and try to put on get ready for class. He headed to the bathroom, brushed his teeth

“Don’t be late,” he yelled to both Suho and Baekhyun and dashed out the front door. That was his daily routine. He would get up at 7:00 and usually be done by 7:45. Once was finished he would dash out the door and greet his friends by the bus station and they would all take the bus to school. They could be rowdy when together, but that’s what made their group fun.  He meet up with Lay who had the same morning class as he did.

“I can’t wait for our break. We’ve been in school for way to long,” said Lay as he draped his arm around Jongdae.

“Me neither,” they all replied.

As they approached their morning class they were faced with the task of trying to get through the lecture without falling asleep. Usually both he and Lay would make funny faces at each other to get through the lecture, which is exactly what they were doing today. Once their lecture was over, he bid Lay goodbye and headed towards Mrs. Tay’s office.

He entered the room swiftly. “So professor have you thought about it?” he asked

“Yes, Mr. Park.”

“So...”

“Okay Mr. Park, I have put in a lot of thought to your assignment,”

okay so it’s probably going to be a huge load of homework,’ thought Chanyeol

“And I have figured out how to raise your grade,” she stopped and looked at Chanyeol in the eye.

“Suicide Watch,” she stated flatly. He looked at her with wide eyes.

“What?” he asked bewildered. He was expecting a load of homework to bring up his grade, but he didn’t even know what this ‘Suicide Watch’ was.

“You want me to research suicide or something?” he asked confused. This was math not a writing class.

“No Mr. Park. You will be on Suicide Watch. It's a new program I started, which assigns one person to specific individual who had recently tried end their life,” she stated in a serious tone.

“The name is pretty off putting, but It can save many lives, and help people with their depression.”

“But I don’t understand? Why Suicide watch? can’t you just give me homework?” he asked. He didn’t feel too sure about this ‘Suicide Watch’ thing because he never had experience with the issue, and he didn’t know anyone who had tried to commit suicide either.

“No, I will not give you homework. I have put you in this program to show you how to handle responsibility. It seems that you are not taking care of your responsibility in this class, which is studying, so instead this will be your assignment.” Chanyeol was not going to argue further. If this is what she wanted, then so be it.

“Okay, but how am I supposed to watch over them, when I don’t even know them. Don’t I have to know them on a personal level to get along with them or something?”

“Don’t worry about that Mr. Park. I have personally chosen your charge. I know this boy personally and I have a feeling that you two will get along pretty well.”

Chanyeol sighed. “Okay, do I start know or tomorrow or—,”

“Your first day is the fifth of December.” Chanyeol’s eyes shot wide open. December fifth was the first day of their break. He wanted to spend his time off with friends, not babysitting another person.

“But—”

“No buts,” she interjected.

“Do you want a good grade in this class?”

“Yes,” stated Chanyeol.

“Then you will have to sacrifice your free time in order to do so,” replied his teacher.

Chanyeol sighed once again. He had to accept the task because if he didn’t, then he would be kicked out of the college.

“Okay, okay I’ll do it.”

“Good. As I have already said, the program is called’ Suicide Watch’. Your objective is not only to watch over your given individual, but also try to create a bond with the person in order to make them feel at ease.” She handed Chanyeol a yellow folder with a name imprinted on the tab.

“Your charge is a boy named DO Kyungsoo. I'll tell you somethings about him,  but you’ll have to read the file to know the rest. He’s 21, he lives alone in a temporary watch home.”

“So someone has already been assigned to him?” Chanyeol asked.

“No. He’s been under watch by a nurse from a local hospital, but she can’t keep an eye on him forever, so he is now your charge. He stays in his room for most of his time—“

“So He doesn’t go to school?”

“No, his depression made him unable to concentrate on his classes, plus when he tried to commit suicide, he was pretty much unable to be left alone,” she stated.

“Now, I trust you will do well and show up?” she asked.

“Yes ma’am,” he said.

“Good, now go on then. I have another lecture to prepare for. Vacations are in a few days, and that means your work will start that day as well. If you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask. “

“Yes ma’am.” Chanyeol exited the class. He didn’t sign up for this so called ‘Suicide Watch’ but he had to follow through. He had to keep his grades up in order to stay in his school. He looked at the yellow file and read the name out loud

“DO Kyungsoo...  looks like we’ll be seeing each for a while,” he said as he headed to his apartment.