Pet talk

Mutual Ownership

Minseok and Jongdae came to a stop at a crossroads and waited for the lights to change. Jongdae began to look around when his eyes fell upon another hybrid and it's owner. He seemed to be a cat hybrid; practically with only something covering his modesty, a collar and a leash that was held by he's owner. Jongdae's stomach turned at the fact that the hybrid was being forced to crawl on all fours instead of walking on he's legs like everyone else. What really angered him more was that no one seemed to think this was in any way strange or degrading.

Jongdae's tail began to swish violently and he let out an involuntary hiss which caught the owner's attention. The man narrowed his eyes at Jongdae and a frown graced his face.

"Please keep your pet under control." the man said to Minseok.

Minseok looked at the man with distain. "He's not a pet, he's a hybrid, therefore capable of controlling himself."

The man sneered. "You must be one of those hippies, he doesn't even have a collar for God's sake."

"I am not a hippy, I just treat hybrids with the respect they deserve and not parade them around like objects."

The man rolled his eyes and walked away once the signals changed.

"I hate humans sometimes." Jongdae said as he glared at the man's back.

"Me too."

 

"So he's a musician?" Yixing asked as he munched on his salad.

"Yes, I mean no, I mean I don't know." Luhan said distractedly as he looked for his keys.

"What do you know?"

"That he's really cute." Yixing raised a brow. "Don't look at me like that."

Yixing raised his hands in surrender and grabbed some seaweed snaps. "You must really like him to travel an hour and a half into the city to see him."

Luhan paused his search. "Do you think it's weird that I'm travelling far just for some date?"

Yixing shook his head. "Nah, you don't get out much. It's always work work work with you. Besides, there is literally no one around your age here."

Luhan hummed in response. "Are you sure you're going to be ok?"

Yixing rolled his eyes. "Yes I'm going to be fine, have fun on your date."

"There's more food in the fridge. Don't eat those grass chips yet, I haven't fully perfected them. Err what else, oh yeah, don't open the door to anyone. I'll be back by midnight."

"Yes mum." Yixing said sarcastically.

"How do I look?" Luhan asked as he turned a full 360.

"Like a respectable young man and not the horn dog you are."

Luhan threw a pillow in his direction before storming out of the house, Yixing's laughter following him out.

 

"Kyungsoo-ya!" Jongdae called.

Kyungsoo looked sharply at his owner. Joonmyun avoided his eyes and got up to open the door. As soon as the door opened, Jongdae walked in, took off his shoes and jumped on Kyungsoo.

"Why are you here?" Kyungsoo asked as he tried to get the elder off him.

"Minnie's going on a date and he wouldn't let me groom him."

Kyungsoo didn't get another word in as Jongdae began to his face and ears. Kyungsoo pretended to be mad for a couple more minutes before melting in to the touch because secretly, he really liked getting groomed.

Minseok smiled at their interaction before addressing Joonmyun. "Are you sure you don't mind Joon?"

"For the last time hyung, I already have two cats, what's one more? And they get along so well and Jongdae is so well behaved. Go and have fun on your date."

Minseok was about to leave when he remembered something. "By the way we met a ist on the way here so Jongdae's mood might not stay this happy."

Joonmyun sighed. "Those ing ists."

"Call me if he's being a nuisance and I'll come and pick him up."

Joonmyun smiled warmly. "I won't."

"Joonmyun-"

"Bye hyung~" Joonmyun said before shutting the door on Minseok's face.

 

"I'm sorry I'm late," Minseok said as he approached the table Luhan was sitting at. "Did you wait long?"

Luhan smiled. "No I just got here myself."

"Did you order anything?"

"No I was waiting for you."

They argued about who should pay for the drinks and the dessert before Luhan won and went to place their orders.

"This place is really nice," Luhan said as he looked around.

"Have you never been here before?" Minseok asked.

"I don't get to come to the city often so no and we don't have many coffee shops where I live, which is a bummer because I live and breathe that stuff."

Minseok smiled. "Same. Although I'm trying to cut back because of Jongdae."

Luhan tilted his head to the side. "Is he your brother?"

"He's like a younger brother but he's my hybrid companion."

"Ah."

"I'm not a ist." Minseok said quickly before shoving his right hand in Luhan face. "Look.

Luhan was slightly taken aback but decided to look at the bracelet on Minseok's wrist. It was a simply red leather bracelet with one charm that read: My human. If lost, return to Kim Jongdae. He turned over the charm and a phone number was on the other side.

"Ok, so this doesn't prove that I'm not a creepy ert but-"

Luhan burst out laughing and tried to gesture for Minseok to stop talking. "It's fine, I believe you Minseok. In fact, I have a hybrid too."

He presented his right hand to Minseok which held a green leather bracelet with footballs and a charm that read: My human. If lost, return to Zhang Yixing.

"He's a rabbit hybrid." Luhan said as he retracted his hand. "I had an actual rabbit when I was younger but it died so my parents got me a rabbit hybrid, I practically grew up with Yixing. What about you?"

Minseok's brows shot up. The most common hybrids were cats and dogs and they were relatively expensive. All other types would cost you an arm and a leg, but Minseok choose not to comment on that.

"My sister is a hybrids rights activist. She worked with the police to shut down this illegal breeder. But all the hybrids he had had to go somewhere so they took residence in mine, my sister's and my parents places until we found them new homes. I got attached to Jongdae and Jongdae decided to stay."

"Wow a hybrids rights activist, that's very noble."

Minseok nodded. "She's the founder of HDR²."

Luhan gaped at him. "No way! Hybrids deserve rights, hybrids deserve respect? Your sister is Kim Byulyi?"

Minseok's chest filled with pride. "Yep."

"Holy ! Wait, I'm focusing more on your sister than you, that's rude. So what do you do?"

"I'm a personal trainer and I sing at TLC as a hobby/side job kind of thing."

"No wonder you're buff." Minseok smirked at him and Luhan's mouth fell open. "That came out wrong, I mean, you look very in shape."

Minseok laughed. "Thank you. So botany, how did you get into it?"

"It stems from my love of rabbits actually. My rabbit, Prince, always used to hop around our garden eating different plants and I wanted to experiment on different flavours for him as crazy as that sounds. So I went into botany but I'm also a hybrid nutritionist and an experimental cook."

Minseok was impressed. "That's quite a résumé you have."

Luhan blushed lightly. "It's nothing really."

 

Jongdae was leaning against Kyungsoo with their tails entwined as Kyungsoo watched the latest K-drama.

"Where's Sehunnie?" Jongdae asked.

"My poor baby's ill." Joonmyun said.

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes but kept them glued to the screen. "He's hardly a baby, in fact he's an adult."

"You guys will always be my babies. I remember when I first got you, you guys were so young-"

"We were in our teens."

"-And you were this small-"

"We really weren't."

"-Now you're this big."

"Sehun is."

Joonmyun pouted. "You never let me baby you anymore Kyungsoo-ya so I have to get my affections from Sehunnie."

"I groom you all the time." Kyungsoo protested. "Plus I let you pet me."

Joonmyun sighed. "They grow up so fast."

Kyungsoo looked at Jongdae. "Is your human like this?"

"Only when I allow it."

There was a light knock on the door and Joonmyun went to see who it was.

"Hey Joonmyun, did he cause any trouble?" asked the voice at the door.

"Speak of the devil." Jongdae said as he stood up.

"No he was a good boy." Joonmyun replied.

"I can't believe you don't have faith in me hyung." Jongdae said in mock offense.

Minseok hummed. They said their goodbyes and headed home.

"Sooo, how was your date? Did you put out?" Jongdae said as he wiggled his eyebrows.

Minseok looked around. "I can't believe you speak like that in public!"

"Relax hyung, no one knows us and by your reaction I'm guessing it was just a nice little date with no action."

"I'm going to put you up for adoption."

Jongdae smirked. "No you're not."